closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mental prices on WF&Co

Master

5167 now seems to be £22-23k now. The stupid thing is that people will pay these prices. I get the feeling that the people working there can’t quite believe how it’s going. Every modern Rolex seems to be sold at a premium, last time I was in there the person before me was buying an Airking for £500 above retail when Fraser Hart up the road had one available which had been in the window for weeks.
    I think it’s a good example of how marketing can really work. Most of the watches sold at a premium can be sourced for less money at other dealers, often brand new from AD’s, with very little effort. But Watchfinder have been marketing themselves pretty much everywhere recently and it seems that people look at their site and are then too lazy to shop around.

Master
    how lazy would you have to be to pay double retail on a 5711

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    how lazy would you have to be to pay double retail on a 5711
    And why don't they simply tell their butler to check it out!?

Even some the Tudor black bays are way too expensive

You’d have to be very lucky to find one at retail, but with minimal effort you could find one for £5-10k less than the Watchfinder price.

Grand Master
    They have gone mad but we have seen this before with everything thats desirable, who would have thought flat 4’s would hit mid teens!

Personally I think the 5711 will stay strong and simmer for a few years now but the LV has a bit to go and any that get discontinued we know will gain 20-30% over night. Just got off the phone to a mate of mine who brought a Daytona for £6750 2.5 years ago and moaned it was heavy money, I now want to buy that back for £10k!
    RIAC

At least Watchfinder state their price in a transparent way, rather than adopting a shifty ‘price on application’ policy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    They have gone mad but we have seen this before with everything thats desirable, who would have thought flat 4’s would hit mid teens!

Personally I think the 5711 will stay strong and simmer for a few years now but the LV has a bit to go and any that get discontinued we know will gain 20-30% over night. Just got off the phone to a mate of mine who brought a Daytona for £6750 2.5 years ago and moaned it was heavy money, I now want to buy that back for £10k!
    ill be hanging onto my LV

i cant believe 46k is the price for a 5711 tho, guess i wont be buying one any time soon!

Also Watchfinder now have new owners. They might be trying to get their investment back quicker. If they sell at this price good luck to them as long as they still make reasonable px and buy deals too

I love the way WF obscure the bracelet reference number in the shots of the 5711, and leave the serial number clear for all to see. Whoever sold that to WF won't be getting a new Patek from an AD any time soon!

Somebody has to pay for the TV advertising on Dave.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    These prices are just nuts - what do you reckon that PP would actually achieve?

Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    I love the way WF obscure the bracelet reference number in the shots of the 5711, and leave the serial number clear for all to see. Whoever sold that to WF won't be getting a new Patek from an AD any time soon!
    They also display any limited edition number, with the likes of Omega etc, so very clear to the original AD who has flipped it for a quick buck.

Master
    In the last year I sold a nearly new 5711 and a ceramic Daytona. If I'd waited, there would have been at least another £10000 in it. But you can't live your life like that......or at least, I can't. Sell and move on. If others make a profit, good for them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    And coverage of the TdF on ITV4. Can’t be cheap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    And coverage of the TdF on ITV4. Can’t be cheap.
    The film didn't cost much to make though :)

Master
    When the Black Bay GMT hit the market, they had one for just shy of £10k

Ceramic Daytona getting close to double RRP also.

It’s a mad world.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    At least Watchfinder state their price in a transparent way, rather than adopting a shifty ‘price on application’ policy
    Totally agree. I think Blowers operate that way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    In the last year I sold a nearly new 5711 and a ceramic Daytona. If I'd waited, there would have been at least another £10000 in it. But you can't live your life like that......or at least, I can't. Sell and move on. If others make a profit, good for them.
    You also need to be able to see the future. Who would have thought last year we would be seeing these prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    5167 now seems to be £22-23k now. The stupid thing is that people will pay these prices. I get the feeling that the people working there can’t quite believe how it’s going. Every modern Rolex seems to be sold at a premium, last time I was in there the person before me was buying an Airking for £500 above retail when Fraser Hart up the road had one available which had been in the window for weeks.
    I think it’s a good example of how marketing can really work. Most of the watches sold at a premium can be sourced for less money at other dealers, often brand new from AD’s, with very little effort. But Watchfinder have been marketing themselves pretty much everywhere recently and it seems that people look at their site and are then too lazy to shop around.
    It could just be that you pay more for an Air King because WF give you a better price on a trade in than you'd get elsewhere. Plus, prices are always negotiable to an extent.

The LV sounds about right to be fair they have just been going up and up the last few years

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    The LV sounds about right to be fair they have just been going up and up the last few years
    No WF price is about right.
    They are all overpriced.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    They are all overpriced.
    ^^^ this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    WF offered me c.7,300 for my 116520 Daytona. Wasn’t interested in selling just curious to see what they would offer

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I agree.
    Though yet to see one showing a Patek, unless I keep missing it!

I’m happy to sell a 5711 and two earlier Sub LV’s if anyone wants them, for £80k lol
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    Insane.
    But did it sell? If the answer is yes, it just shows they know their market better than we do.

Master
    They are all overpriced.
    That overpriced that people are still buying them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    But did it sell? If the answer is yes, it just shows they know their market better than we do.
    True, still nuts though. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    That overpriced that people are still buying them
    Well they've got a watch on there for £3600 more than I paid on here 2 weeks ago so yes I'd say they were very overpriced.
    You're maybe trying to use their prices to justify your inflated price for your LV.
    I prefer to price at less than the bottom chrono24 price for Tz members as opposed to dealers prices which you seem to favour.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    Is that just hearsay as I don't believe it at all, in fact I think it must be BS

I sold WF the very first GMT they had. I got £3k and they offered it out at £4.7, a friend of mine enquired as I was curious to see what it would get.

They now say they are "oversupplied" and will do deals for considerably less.

£10k is a fantasy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m happy to sell a 5711 and two earlier Sub LV’s if anyone wants them, for £80k lol
    They can have mine for 79k sorry to undercut but it’s just business.

Master
    They’ve just sold a 2008 5712 for 40+k they still have a 2009, they’ve been sitting on them for 2 months before they started to advertise.

Master
    Yet you cant donate 50£ to charity when losing a bet... blow it out your ar$e.

Master
    Well they've got a watch on there for £3600 more than I paid on here 2 weeks ago so yes I'd say they were very overpriced.
    You're maybe trying to use their prices to justify your inflated price for your LV.
    I prefer to price at less than the bottom chrono24 price for Tz members as opposed to dealers prices which you seem to favour.

Haha what are you talking about you nugget

Craftsman
    getting interesting...!

Craftsman
    This is the only way to think about it, completely relate.

Master
    Just had a look on their site.

2006 used lv with B&P...…..£11,OOO.

So is this the new owners' strategy, to price out the grey market so people have to buy direct?

The Hulk is now sold! Another unworn is £10,250.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    It could just be that you pay more for an Air King because WF give you a better price on a trade in than you'd get elsewhere. Plus, prices are always negotiable to an extent.
    And an interest free finance.

Watchfinder is not a place to value your watch, the LV's they are buying in are probably being bought for 7.5/8k

These are the real world values (still a nice place to be if bought at list)

Blog Entries
    Are these the firm that sponsors the TdF coverage on a UK TV station? If so, you know that you’re overpaying. The commercial cost etc come out of buyers’ pockets

I guess there is a big difference between WF being ‘overpriced’ and WF being used as the benchmark for prices.

The majority of normal people (especially non enthusiasts) wouldn’t mind paying 10-20% more for a watch from a company like WF for peace of mind, in comparison to buying from a forum of eBay etc. There are plenty of fakes and scams about.

The fact that WF are still in business and that their watches are selling shows that the watches can’t be overpriced, if people are buying!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Are these the firm that sponsors the TdF coverage on a UK TV station? If so, you know that you’re overpaying. The commercial cost etc come out of buyers’ pockets
    How about those brands that pay for Wimbledon and F1 sponsorship, or the Olympics? The marketing costs come out of buyers' pockets too.

As for Watchfinder I don't see their prices much higher than Blowers, yet they don't spend anything like what WF do on marketing.

I bought a 5711 for list about 18 months ago from and AD- white dial. Sold it to watchfinder for about £1500 profit and took the kids to Disneyland Paris on it. I’d imagine I’d probably be about another £5k up if I’d kept hold of it. I’m stunned how you can buy a watch from an AD and walk around the corner and someone or a company will give you x amount of £s over what you’ve paid. It also means I don’t buy many watches these days as they’ve hit such heights that only a couple of years back were unheard of. I paid £4.5k 6 years ago for a “Y” series flat 4 LV. Got to be £15k today minimum. I paid £6500 for a 2008 steel Daytona around the same time. Got to be £10k today. I bought my LV new out of the window for £4900 in 2012 I believe and they seem to be around £7.5k odd. If only I could go back and know what I know now!

So thought I would ask WF how much the 'POA' 16520 is

its nice but

offers over 40k .....hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Watchfinder is not a place to value your watch, the LV's they are buying in are probably being bought for 7.5/8k

These are the real world values (still a nice place to be if bought at list)
    These are the real world trade prices.
    It's just a matter of time...