closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What vintage chronograph to go with a classic car? :-)

Journeyman
    Don't mind used watches at all. Quite like the unusual shape of the Longines. From reading, it's a 41mm so that would make it the largest watch I own for my skinny wrists! Plus, for that classic look something smaller would be more consistent?

Do like the "panda" look.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A pic of your own car would very much help the suggestions for an appropriate watch pairing.

Master
    What about a Girard Perregaux, something like this:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/girardper...-id8186723.htm

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post

That is lovely!! Damn this forum is dangerous for ones bank balance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    That is lovely!! Damn this forum is dangerous for ones bank balance!

It's a beauty isn't it.

I'm actually tempted a little myself - always fancied a GP Chrono

^^^^That GP has just won!
    For me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    A pic of your own car would very much help the suggestions for an appropriate watch pairing.
    See various images above your post.
    Absolutely stunning car

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I concur with the GP watches stunning and right for the car. But found this image on the net which might work?IMG_6021.JPG

Apprentice

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    See various images above your post.
    Absolutely stunning car

Sorry, but cannot see any images of “his own car”, just web ones.

Sorry, but cannot see any images of “his own car”, just web ones.
    Do we have to be so precise as to show our actual car? Watch etc. It's not a sales post. It was a question as to what people could suggest to go with a vintage car.
    I accept the pictures above.
    My avatar is my actual car but not the only one.

If you like the classic 36mm size then a great option would be a Heuer Carrera 1964 re-edition.

I think Wasim might still have one for sale that's well within your budget:

Last edited by Rocket Man; 22nd July 2018 at 15:50.

Journeyman
    Reminds me a bit of the PP 5140!

Such a tough decision to make, but lots of fun looking at all the great suggestions.

Surprised the gent above couldn't use his imagination to picture the car in red, but here is a picture of one in red. Not mine as my reg is on there and I don't know how to blank it out and these pictures are far better than anything I could do.

https://www.girardo.com/available/19...s-1-by-zagato/

Last edited by CJQC; 22nd July 2018 at 18:27.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Still think a pic of your actual car would be nice. From the side so no reg plate issue.

Smile

I'm down to two cars at the mo...a 330d M Sport from 2002 and newly in a Citroen C6 Exclusive 2.7 HDI from 2010...the latter could well allow me to forget about the watch on my wrist completely...If you think the Germans know how to do ride control...and if you think the British know how to do elegance...well you are only half way there...Hence the 330d commemorator. The C6 is something else. The ABC on a CL500 is only half done and primative by comparison. Precision? The C6 steering is as light as an S3 DD double six...and precise as a 77 930 Turbo. Oh yes the watch and classic car. How about a Seiko 7t92 and Honda Accord...Or Alfa 166 and a Pam? ...What you save over the ferrari 400i will pay for the watch. And the Alfa has a nicer rear 3 1/4.

Baltic Bi Compax would be my choice.

One of these would be nice, but you’re not having mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    I'm down to two cars at the mo...a 330d M Sport from 2002 and newly in a Citroen C6 Exclusive 2.7 HDI from 2010...the latter could well allow me to forget about the watch on my wrist completely...If you think the Germans know how to do ride control...and if you think the British know how to do elegance...well you are only half way there...Hence the 330d commemorator. The C6 is something else. The ABC on a CL500 is only half done and primative by comparison. Precision? The C6 steering is as light as an S3 DD double six...and precise as a 77 930 Turbo. Oh yes the watch and classic car. How about a Seiko 7t92 and Honda Accord...Or Alfa 166 and a Pam? ...What you save over the ferrari 400i will pay for the watch. And the Alfa has a nicer rear 3 1/4.
    Nice to see someone praise Citroen for once. Normally they get hammered. But they have always been a tad aventgarde

Think I will be wearing this to pick up my new rocket ship today, It's new but has heritage that stretches back to the 1950's

My next suggestion, Montblanc 1858 Automatic chronograph. I have just been examining one at Geneva Airport, and it is one of the most successful looking "heritage" re-issue style pieces i have ever seen
    Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post

I have an identical GP to that and agree that it would go very well indeed with a classic car. You're also not likely to see lots of them about as they only made 250 of them. My car is a little older (1928) but luckily I also have a WW1 Trench Watch that goes very well with that.

Journeyman
    I really like the look of the Baltic watches. I quite like the idea of giving a fledgling company a go and it's nice to pay under £1,000 too. The size is a little big for me at 38mm, but I need to start wearing the more "modern" size as it looks like it's here to stay - for a while anyway.

What I like is the their limited edition Panda watch, but it has sold out. Any idea where I can find one on the pre-owned market? The usual suspects aren't turning up with anything.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Still think a pic of your actual car would be nice. From the side so no reg plate issue.
    Still no sign. [remembers the OPs post re wanting to buy a [60]k watch - here or PH, cannot recall.]. So where did that go?

Journeyman
    Well I've had this Jaquet Droz Landeron Chronograph from new. Was bought for me as a 21st birthday present by my first wife, think it cost about £40 at the time......went very well with the highly tuned Mini that I had in the late 1960's

Journeyman
    Very cool car and watch, John D.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about what I want since I first started this thread. I started out with one car in mind and wanted a watch that suited that particular car. However, I am fortunate to have a couple of other cars and think I would like something that can work with across them.

For me, it comes down to these two. Both of which I have now physically viewed. They both sit well on my wrist.

1. Girard Perregaux 8020 “Ferrari”

I like this watch, because it is an intimate size. I also like it because the reference to Ferrari is not in your face, but is in fact on the back of the case, out of sight. I’ve never owned a GP, but they are an excellent house (if slightly out of favour now) and have a long and proud history as I understand it. Maybe a little small and definitely less formal, but it is over £1,000 cheaper than the Omega below.

2. Omega Speedmaster Racing Co-Axial Chronograph 40mm

I have really surprised my with how much I liked this watch. I walked in on a whim thinking it was too big for me at 40mm. But, on the rubber strap it sits really well. Plus, I’ve never had an Omega and quite like the idea of having one. I am also considering the Speedmaster 38mm, but I don’t think that is really what I want though it’s nice. I’ve tried the white and black face 40mm and think the white, just edges it for me, though I really do want an all black face watch at some point. Proper racing heritage in built.

What would you guys choose?

Pictures of the watches from today, below.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    My next suggestion, Montblanc 1858 Automatic chronograph. I have just been examining one at Geneva Airport, and it is one of the most successful looking "heritage" re-issue style pieces i have ever seen
    Dave
    I had a look at these yesterday in one of the London boutiques. The champagne dial variants (3 hand and chrono) are lovely IMHO

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CJQC View Post
    Very cool car and watch, John D.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about what I want since I first started this thread. I started out with one car in mind and wanted a watch that suited that particular car. However, I am fortunate to have a couple of other cars and think I would like something that can work with across them.

For me, it comes down to these two. Both of which I have now physically viewed. They both sit well on my wrist.

1. Girard Perregaux 8020 “Ferrari”

I like this watch, because it is an intimate size. I also like it because the reference to Ferrari is not in your face, but is in fact on the back of the case, out of sight. I’ve never owned a GP, but they are an excellent house (if slightly out of favour now) and have a long and proud history as I understand it. Maybe a little small and definitely less formal, but it is over £1,000 cheaper than the Omega below.

2. Omega Speedmaster Racing Co-Axial Chronograph 40mm

I have really surprised my with how much I liked this watch. I walked in on a whim thinking it was too big for me at 40mm. But, on the rubber strap it sits really well. Plus, I’ve never had an Omega and quite like the idea of having one. I am also considering the Speedmaster 38mm, but I don’t think that is really what I want though it’s nice. I’ve tried the white and black face 40mm and think the white, just edges it for me, though I really do want an all black face watch at some point. Proper racing heritage in built.

What would you guys choose?

Pictures of the watches from today, below.

Hey. Let’s have pics of all your cars! Not generic web ones. Yours. Just an idea, to give context to the thread.
    Last edited by Skyman; 26th July 2018 at 18:52.

Craftsman

What vintage chronograph to go with a classic car? :-)

Here’s my car, I like to wear my SARB033 when driving. Not sure how to get a decent picture on the post.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile appMGB.jpg

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damperman View Post
    Here’s my car, I like to wear my SARB033 when driving. Not sure how to get a decent picture on the post.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile appMGB.jpg
    That’s the spirit. I have my eye on an MGC.👍

Craftsman
    1972 MGB fantastic car.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Bit of a left-field suggestion, but how about a Russian 3017 calibre? Column-wheel chrono based on the Venus 150 movement. Age-appropriate, looks the part, and plenty of history (first watch ever used on a space walk). A good original example shouldn’t set you back more than £800 or so. Need to buy carefully though, as many have been butchered.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    Bit of a left-field suggestion, but how about a Russian 3017 calibre? Column-wheel chrono based on the Venus 150 movement. Age-appropriate, looks the part, and plenty of history (first watch ever used on a space walk). A good original example shouldn’t set you back more than £800 or so. Need to buy carefully though, as many have been butchered.
    Hi, thanks for that. I've decided on the white Speedmaster above and am looking forward to it arriving soon. Interesting that you should mention the space connection though. The salesman i was speaking to you yesterday, was pushing the "first watch in space" bit quite hard!

Thank you for the constructive suggestions. I will also be keeping my out for a vintage Lancia chronograph like the one below.

Skyman, it would appear that despite my PM to you to deal with your obsessive behaviour, you are determined to be unpleasant and I will not be responding to you again.

Nice Speedmaster. And yes, Omega can’t be accused of leaving the space connection unleveraged in their marketing efforts.

Skyman has well known form, so good move there too.

Journeyman
    Thank you Argon. This is a great forum, but like all forums it has a small minority of people who are simply incapable of behaving politely or as they should. The anonymity of the internet makes brave men out of these sorts! Best ignored to twist in the winds of their own unpleasantness, in solitary splendour.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of interest, any thoughts on that GP? Nothing like buyer's remorse! haha

Craftsman
    Love the Lancia above, nice looking watch.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    Nice Speedmaster. And yes, Omega can’t be accused of leaving the space connection unleveraged in their marketing efforts.

Skyman has well known form, so good move there too.
    And you know what exactly?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CJQC View Post
    Hi, thanks for that. I've decided on the white Speedmaster above and am looking forward to it arriving soon. Interesting that you should mention the space connection though. The salesman i was speaking to you yesterday, was pushing the "first watch in space" bit quite hard!

Thank you for the constructive suggestions. I will also be keeping my out for a vintage Lancia chronograph like the one below.

Skyman, it would appear that despite my PM to you to deal with your obsessive behaviour, you are determined to be unpleasant and I will not be responding to you again.
    Please do not intrude on me with a PM. Simply demonstrate in this thread what you profess. Can you?

Please do not intrude on me with a PM. Simply demonstrate in this thread what you profess. Can you?
    Why?
    IMG_4206.JPG
    Or this
    IMG_5226.JPG

Why are you obsessed with seeing the Actual car?
    Or are you saying he hasn't got it and it's a rouse!
    I've got an SL too oh and a Smart Roadster.

Why?
    IMG_4206.JPG
    Or this
    IMG_5226.JPG

Dead right Mick.

Why?
    IMG_4206.JPG
    Or this
    IMG_5226.JPG

Perfect match for those beauties

What vintage chronograph to go with a classic car? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    Perfect match for those beauties

Hahahaha
    I have this IMG_6041.JPG

But in the morning thisIMG_5714.JPG

Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Why?
    IMG_4206.JPG
    Or this
    IMG_5226.JPG

Maybe I am. Not sure I am bothered what you have. You seem to have lost the plot.

Hahahaha
    I have this IMG_6041.JPG

But in the morning thisIMG_5714.JPG

enjoy the new watch...

Yet clearly you intrude on his thread and push questions and ask for things you have no real need to see. Give it a break.

Yet clearly you intrude on his thread and push questions and ask for things you have no real need to see. Give it a break.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    enjoy the new watch...

Sure will thank You

Journeyman
    +1

Thanks Woodacre and Yorkshiremadmick, but honestly don't trouble yourself with this cartoon. He's shown his true colours and ironically only proved to show Argon was right . Like any troll he craves attention. No responses = no more troll!

YMM - enjoy your watch!

Let's keep talking chronographs and cars!
    Last edited by CJQC; 28th July 2018 at 22:34.

Master
    Forget the watch this is all a red car needs!

Journeyman
    Finally, a sensible post! Which watch dealer is most likely to have this model?

Well my local AD helped me with my Landrover IMG_6014.JPG