closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SKX running slow! Any ideas?

Master

Seiko SKX running slow! Any ideas?

Hi all,

My boy called me earlier all upset because he’s SKX007 has been acting up today.

He said it’s lost about 30mins today and then he reset the time and it lost a further 5mins in the space of 2 hours?

It’s been fully charged etc and it was working perfectly before today.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance.
    Tony

Ignore this

Whack it face down into his palm a couple of times.

Had one like that once and was told it's likely a stuck main spring and a light whack would help.

Sorted it right out
    Last edited by acg; 18th July 2018 at 07:53.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Whack it face down into his palm a couple of times.

Had one like that once and was told it's likely a stuck main spring and a light whack would help.

Sorted it right out
    Stuck mainspring?..........I don`t think so! Mainsprings don`t stick, they break but they don`t stick. The mainspring on an an automatic slips inside the barrel when the watch is fully wound, it isn`t feasible for it to stick. If someone knows otherwise I`ll stand corrected, but I can`t envisage this happening, it sounds unfeasible.

There's anecdotal evidence of hairsprings becoming snagged on the regulator if the watch gets a whack, and that can sometimes be corrected by giving the watch a slap, but when that's happened the watch runs very fast and this one's doing the opposite.

Has the watch been dropped, or had a hard knock?............pointless asking the question because the answer's always no.

Paul

how long have you had the watch ...slow normally means the movement needs overhaul and oiling.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    There's anecdotal evidence of hairsprings becoming snagged on the regulator if the watch gets a whack, and that can sometimes be corrected by giving the watch a slap, but when that's happened the watch runs very fast and this one's doing the opposite.

Paul
    ^^This, a hairspring can get 'hooked up' though it's rare, where one coil gets caught over another due to a sharp knock but the watch would run fast as the hairspring has in effect been shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    how long have you had the watch ...slow normally means the movement needs overhaul and oiling.
    This was my first thought also. ^^^^^
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Ah missed the running slow, assumed fast

Probably not that then, apologies

Master
    Magnetised. If you have compass on cell phone put it near the watch. It will go off when near.

Go to any watchmaker it is 5 minute cheap fix.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Magnetised. If you have compass on cell phone put it near the watch. It will go off when near.

Go to any watchmaker it is 5 minute cheap fix.
    Does magnetism not make a watch v fast?

Master
    It could go both ways.

Are they worth servicing? I have an SKX007 that is in need of a service, but to do so would cost more than I paid for the watch when new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Are they worth servicing? I have an SKX007 that is in need of a service, but to do so would cost more than I paid for the watch when new.
    Only you can answer that question. It wasn't that long ago Leosics had new movements for £40 but they haven't had them in stock of late and I suspect they won't be getting any more as the 7s26 gets phased out.

Master
    Okay to answer some questions, the watch has definitely not been whacked! He takes after me and really looks after he’s stuff and loves his watches. He’d be honest and tell me if it did have a knock anyway.

The watch is under a year old but no warranty etc but won’t be in need of a service so it’s not an age related issue.

Thanks,
    Tony

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Only you can answer that question. It wasn't that long ago Leosics had new movements for £40 but they haven't had them in stock of late and I suspect they won't be getting any more as the 7s26 gets phased out.

If I may be so bold to ask , what is the alternative if the 7s26 is laid to rest and skx owners want to fit a new movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    4r series. But you need new stem and crown and good watchmaker.

It can be done.

Grand Master
    It's pointless speculating further, the watch needs to go to a repairer to find out what's happened and fix it.

A strange one, but there will be a simple answer. It's very rare that the problem is a complex one, especially on a newish watch that's been running OK recently.

Paul

An apparently slow running watch is commonly a watch that is stopping intermittently and then restarting on its own. Could the hands be fouling perhaps?

Sent from my LG-H930 using TZ-UK mobile app

I just had a similar issue with my Monster, sporting the same 7S26 movement as the SKX. My watch lost about 8 minutes during the day. I was on holiday, but when I returned home, I put it on the timegrapher. Results were all over the place. One moment, zero seconds a day deviation and zero beat error. The next moment, 190 seconds a day slow. Huge beat error. Then 80 seconds fast. Then fine again. Positional changes were wild.

Then... it just stopped.

Removed the back and had a good look with a loupe. Was actually looking at the (well wound) movement when it stopped again. Thought I may have Jedi powers. A stopped movement would explain the slowness. But why was it stopping? And why the random speed errors when it was running?

The hairspring appeared to have a tiny spec of dust or something foreign on it. I removed the balance cock assembly and gently (with a blower brush) removed the dust. Put it back together again, wound the watch, and checked/regulated it. I've been wearing it for 3 days now and it has maintained its normal performance. I don't know if it was the dust, or removing/replacing the balance cock assembly. But it works now.

Might not be the same issue as your son's watch, but worth a check.