closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Knife buying advice

Knife buying advice

Hi,

Was thinking to buy a folding knife which blade doesn't exceed 7,5cm in length.

I'm a noobie about those things, so any advice is very very welcome!

Thank you
    Claudio

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Opinel. Cheap and cheerful.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Lots and lots of options

Need to start with budget then style/ use

Are you looking for a knife that is legal to carry anywhere in the U.K., or do you mind a locking knife that you can only carry with good reason?

The Swiss Army knives potentially fall into both camps.

A budget would be useful to help narrow down the choice!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Opinel. Cheap and cheerful.
    Dave, I think opinel are not EDC due to the locking collar.

mike

Craftsman
    Loads to chose from. Boker Sub42 for on your keyring, Spyderco UKPK for an all round but relative cheapy. Enzo PK70 a bit better style/materials. PITS if you’ve got a few quid to spend.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Dave, I think opinel are not EDC due to the locking collar.

mike

Correct,originals didn’t have the lock.

When I mentioned this in the opinel museum last year the lady just removed it with a screwdriver.

If you do a no7 is the one you need you can tighten the pivot if needed with a pin hammer.

Knife buying advice

On the recommendations of others on here I ordered a custom (or rather configured to order) knife from here:

http://www.artisancoutelier.com/en/n...d-navette.html

The resulting knife is lovely, and the ability to specify a range of options means that you end up with something much more personal than an off-the-shelf production number.

Alternatively there are nice, perhaps more traditional, pocket knives to be had from companies like Case.

Craftsman
    Take a look at 'Heinnie Haynes'.
    They have a "uk carry legal" tab. Lots and lots of options.
    Their delivery times are awesome too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Boker Sub42 for on your keyring
    How do you get on with the Boker?

I have one of the Heinnie special editions (reviewed here: http://replicareviews.blogspot.com/2...different.html) and to be honest I doubt it has ever been out of the box. I've always found the shape rather awkward for keyring or pocket carry, so would be interested to hear of your experiences.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 17th July 2018 at 21:32.

Master
    Hi Claudio, I just bought this Kershaw as an EDC, it was £34 delivered.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Are you looking for a knife that is legal to carry anywhere in the U.K., or do you mind a locking knife that you can only carry with good reason?

The Swiss Army knives potentially fall into both camps.

A budget would be useful to help narrow down the choice!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'm looking for something I could potentially carry on me at times and not worry about it.. I don't know the requirements a knife needs to have to be "street legal" though..

Budget.. less than £100.

Thank you all for the comments

Craftsman
    So for uk legal carry, the knife must be non locking with a blade of less than 3 inches.
    The Spyderco ukpk is an obvious choice. Deep pocket clip so not obvious when carrying and very light.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I'd look on Heinnie Haynes website, they have so much choice. They have a section for UK legal carry knives.

Rough Rider are made in China and cheap but are surprisingly well made for the price point. My current favourite folder is an Antonini Siciliano which is cheap as chips but a really nicely made knife. Coming a close second is the Schrade Old Timer Land Shark, which is so odd I shouldn't like it, but I really do!

Lots of more expensive ones on there too, just comes down to personal choice really!

Money no object, ask Todd.
    https://www.tadscustomknives.com/gallery.html

ook
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 17th July 2018 at 23:51.

On the recommendations of others on here I ordered a custom (or rather configured to order) knife from here:

http://www.artisancoutelier.com/en/n...d-navette.html

The resulting knife is lovely, and the ability to specify a range of options means that you end up with something much more personal than an off-the-shelf production number.

Alternatively there are nice, perhaps more traditional, pocket knives to be had from companies like Case.
    +1 for the Navette. I bought one last year, lovely knife.

The smallest Opinels do not lock, but they are very small.

My current EDC is the Victorinox Bantam Alox. Very thin and light. Good edge. Whilst I'm not a SAK chap, the multitool is genuinely useful.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    You might be able to find a viper Dan for around £100, brilliant knives! Another option would be the spyderco ukpk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Hi Claudio, I just bought this Kershaw as an EDC, it was £34 delivered.
    Not really an EDC given you can't take it out of the front door without good reason.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    You might be able to find a viper Dan for around £100, brilliant knives! Another option would be the spyderco ukpk

Not really an EDC given you can't take it out of the front door without good reason.
    Really? The blade must be over 3" then, I use it for fishing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Really? The blade must be over 3" then, I use it for fishing

Looks like a liner lock to me. An EDC is normally something you just have on your person whether you're in the garden, fishing, or popping down to Tesco etc.
    Last edited by hafle; 18th July 2018 at 07:41.

Master
    Looks like a liner lock to me. An EDC is normally something you just have on your person whether you're in the garden, fishing, or popping down to Tesco etc.
    So am I technically breaking the law carrying my Kershaw fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    My current EDC is the Victorinox Bantam Alox. Very thin and light. Good edge. Whilst I'm not a SAK chap, the multitool is genuinely useful.
    I have the same, as well as the very similar Swiss Army 2 where the screwdriver is replaced by a second smaller blade.

As you say, lovely knives. The Alox series are without doubt my favourite SAK's, being much more tactile than the regular red-scaled versions. I just wish they would do an Alox version of the Executive, which is my personal EDC.

That Kersaw looks like the Emerson CQC 4K, so it is a frame lock. If so the blade can be locked, so you would need good reason to be carrying it. Fishing is a good enough reason, just don't leave it in your pocket when you pop through airport security or nip into Tesco.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 18th July 2018 at 07:53.

Master
    That Kersaw looks like the Emerson CQC 4K, so it is a frame lock. If so the blade can be locked, so you would need good reason to be carrying it. Fishing is a good enough reason, just don't leave it in your pocket when you pop through airport security or nip into Tesco.
    Cheers willie, you got the model bang on.

Master

Don't worry about it too much, if you fit the profile of the average TZer you'll be one of the last people on earth to be stopped and searched.

Master
    Based on the quality of the EnZo Birk 75 I have (not UK legal), I'd look at this (though it is a bit spendy):

https://www.heinnie.com/enzo-pk70-ca...t-ground-23875
    https://www.heinnie.com/enzo-pk70-ca...re-flat-ground

Note - knife is made in Taiwan, and is not marked as such.

I will likely pick up the first one some time - they had a 10% off sale for a few days the other month on this site:

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/4482/kni...t-ground-black

The knife in their pic does not exist though - it has a clip in real life. I was after one without a clip, so that it was real "traditional".

Rob.

There are so many to choose from, but I don't think you will go far with an alox Swiss army knife. Lots of different blade configurations & a few different colours too

Some of the Rough Rider knives are bargains for the price. But if I was going to buy a pocket knife today to carry with me, it would be from the GEC brand, & there are quite a few within your budget.
    Last edited by Zephyr; 18th July 2018 at 09:02.

Spyderco Urban is my choice

Spyderco Manbug.

Inch and three quarter flat grind leaf blade. Tough as hell and reasonable price. I have a UKPK, but although legal, it does look big, and is more than I need for the vast majority of jobs.

Blog Entries
    Just a random few....

From the top..

Rough Rider Baby Sunfish
    Rough Rider Elephants Toenail
    Schrade Old Timer Land Shark
    Schrade Imperial Sodbuster Small Yellow
    Antonini Siciliano

All legal carry in the UK.

ook

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Just a random few....

From the top..

Rough Rider Baby Sunfish
    Antonini Siciliano

ook
    How the Siciliano? Been from Sicily myself, I'm very attracted by it.. silly me! 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Just a random few....

From the top..

Rough Rider Baby Sunfish
    Antonini Siciliano

ook
    That Schrade Sodbuster is a peach - I am off to the US soon so will try to look one out. I haven't seen the Siciliano before but will look it up. Often when I travel I try to find a nice knife from a local maker and bring it back (hold baggage, naturally). I am away at the moment but will dig out a nice South African folder I bought on a recent trip there.

I have a few of the Rough Rider knife kits too, which have been fun to put together using different scales other than the stock ones.

The most satisfying recent project though was a SAK, where I bought a variety of bits from eBay and then put it together myself, using (I think) elm burr for the scales. The only difficult bit was sourcing the right diameter brass rod!

Master
    I’ve been round the houses with many makes of knives and have ended up selling nearly all and only edc’ing Swiss Army knives for several reasons.....

Lots of choice to suit your needs (tool combination)
    Uk legal to carry (most models)
    Cheap’ish to buy (Amazon)
    Most people are not shocked when you produce a SAK from you pocket
    If it’s confiscated it’s no big loss and can easily be replaced
    Well made and easy to sharpen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    A lot of it depends on what you intend to use it for and where you will be taking it.

There are plenty of UK legal knives that would raise an eyebrow from uneducated (about knives) people were you to pull it out to use for example, so depending on where you go, it might also be worth looking at some of the more non-threatening looking blade shapes like a Spyderco Squeak or something more universally recognised as a tool like a swiss army knife.
    Some places are also a no-no for even UK legal knives, even places you might not expect. I was asked on the door of the science museum if I had anything sharp on me for example.
    Intended use also comes into play - if it's something that's going to be cutting through cardboard boxes all day you'll quickly need to sharpen it so ease of putting a decent edge back on it would also become important.
    It's worth bearing in mind that a blunt knife can sometimes be more dangerous to the user than a sharp one - the harder you have to press, the less control you have.

If you're not buying it as a present or treat to yourself, it's probably worth starting off with something relatively cheap and functional unless you've already had practise with stuff like sharpening.

Heinnie is a good place to look, though their prices do seem to have gone up recently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    How the Siciliano? Been from Sicily myself, I'm very attracted by it.. silly me! 藍

It's a really nice little knife.

ook

Blog Entries
    That Schrade Sodbuster is a peach - I am off to the US soon so will try to look one out. I haven't seen the Siciliano before but will look it up. Often when I travel I try to find a nice knife from a local maker and bring it back (hold baggage, naturally). I am away at the moment but will dig out a nice South African folder I bought on a recent trip there.

I have a few of the Rough Rider knife kits too, which have been fun to put together using different scales other than the stock ones.

The most satisfying recent project though was a SAK, where I bought a variety of bits from eBay and then put it together myself, using (I think) elm burr for the scales. The only difficult bit was sourcing the right diameter brass rod!
    Bought the Schrade from Heinnie Haynes along with most of the others.

Projects can be good fun if you enjoy tinkering!

ook