closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The smallest collection. Hurrah!

Master

The smallest collection. Hurrah!

Presumably, you can't have a 'collection ' smaller than two watches; and after a long slog I've got there. Hard work but this is the residue of a much bigger group of watches.[I
    Glashutte Original Senator Excellence. I am attracted to the fine engineering combined with an austere look. Very Germanic, very Calvinistic. So, after that minimalism, we go all bling...
    In some ways, gold makes no sense....especially white gold....but who cares. Watch collections don't have to make sense. I like this model, 116509 in Rolex numbering. And the pricing of ceramics has caused a serious narrowing of prices.
    Why just ('just') two watches. Well, until I came across TZ I thought people owned one watch. Boy, was I wrong. Two is a doubling of the norm. Quite enough.
    How long will this last? Honestly don't know.
    So, a farewell to a random collection of 'those I have loved.' Quite a few have go to fellow TZers.
    There are more....quite absurd, but great fun. I don't regret a single one of them.
    My personal favourites? Probably the Datejust 41mm with Jubilee bracelet, and the wonderful Zenith CP2 Chrono. For me, there's not a huge correlation between price and (personal} desirability. In fact, some of the 'highest end' stuff has been just a little disappointing.
    Anyway, I'm a reformed character. For now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th July 2018 at 18:20.

2 lovely watches there, Peter. I'm not sure this '2-watch collection thing' will last though...

Simon

Blog Entries
    I’m not sure wether to say congratulations or cry. Anyway, if this is what makes you happy I wish you all the best.

I hope you continue to contribute to TZ with your dry wit and humour on the forum? Maybe catch up for a beer at a Surrey GTG meet-up?

If you’re looking to replace your CP2 you know where I am!

Martyn.

Well done for getting down for two, quite an achievement. I am heading in the same direction.

You need a self imposed ban on SC - if you don't look you won't see anything that you want

Grand Master
    Can’t imagine only owning two watches!

Last week I decided to have a major cull of my own collection.........this week I’ve changed my mind! Keepng the vintage Onegas makes sense, but some of the later stuff will be going on the block at some point.

Will Peter stick to two watches?..............time well tell (pardon the pun)

Craftsman
    Was this a pretty recent decision? Just wondering why you bought the datejust last month.

What were you disappointed with?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Feck what a selection.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can’t imagine only owning two watches!

Last week I decided to have a major cull of my own collection.........this week I’ve changed my mind! Keepng the vintage Onegas makes sense, but some of the later stuff will be going on the block at some point.

Will Peter stick to two watches?..............time well tell (pardon the pun)
    I could imagine owning just 2 watches - but it’s the deciding on which 2 watches that’s the real issue.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Was this a pretty recent decision? Just wondering why you bought the datejust last month.

What were you disappointed with?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    No, love the Datejust; but I was offered my old gold Daytona back, and they're quite pricey....so something had to give, and I didn't have much to sell. My lady says I was daft....but then I am daft.
    As has been remarked...the big issue is which two watches. And that isn't so easy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    No, love the Datejust; but I was offered my old gold Daytona back, and they're quite pricey....
    I can’t fault your logic there... But how will you tell the date?!

Master
    Congratulations, I managed to get to three once. I think I'm at 14 now. Good luck.....

I assume you've a Casio knocking around ? Of course they don't count.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Congratulations, I managed to get to three once. I think I'm at 14 now. Good luck.....

I assume you've a Casio knocking around ? Of course they don't count.
    Yes, I have the odd quartz somewhere. But as you say, they don't count.

Congratulations. I also want to get down to two, one of which would be my (steel) Daytona.

it is weird, but rather reassuring, to get to a point in life where I crave less not more.

Both watches are lovely, but other than as a thought experiment why only two? Clearly not financially related, which I feel can be a reason to go with only two, so a bit confused over the intention.

Master
    But two watches are surely perfectly normal? It's the big collections which aren't. I think you might be able to make good use of up to three watches; beyond that, doubtful.
    Anyway, it's an experiment, so we'l see.

Craftsman
    Love the IWC and the GO (both a little out of the ordinary), but also couldn't part with the GS -- so, with your (gorgeous incidentally) collection I couldn't get down to two

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I could imagine owning just 2 watches - but it’s the deciding on which 2 watches that’s the real issue.
    Yep!

I was aiming for one, which soon became two. But whilst trying to decide/researching on the two more came into the mix, so I'm thinking maybe four now! Oh, and I'm not counting my G-shock, PRS4 and wife bought Fortis Cosmonaut!

Also, one of my keepers needs to go for service, so I'm thinking I should have something instead while it's away! LoL

PS. Very well done on getting your nice collection down to two

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    But two watches are surely perfectly normal? It's the big collections which aren't. I think you might be able to make good use of up to three watches; beyond that, doubtful.
    Anyway, it's an experiment, so we'l see.
    We're WIS, we're not normal! The whole point is being able to justify large collections - rationality is a mute point

Be interesting to see how long this lasts for

Congrats, I to have just become a 2 watch man. Albeit with a few G-Shocks that don't count towards the total.

Let's see how long we last!

Master
    Can't believe you narrowed that down - so many all time keepers in there for me!

Those two do look great; I applaud the smallness of the collection and the “know thyself” journey that you seem to have done on.

Did I see your GS still on Chrono24 the other day?

I must say that GS is terrific. But your two are gorgeous as well. Well done for being happy with it.

Journeyman
    Some nice watches there that you have moved on. The two that you have kept have most bases covered though

I'm the proud owner of two of those watches as you know. And in fact there was a speedy I had that's moved on to a friend. You can thank me for helping you on your mission! Although the SD50 was a little off-mission distraction, let's call it that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I'm the proud owner of two of those watches as you know. And in fact there was a speedy I had that's moved on to a friend. You can thank me for helping you on your mission! Although the SD50 was a little off-mission distraction, let's call it that.
    I was glad to have owned the SD50; it very nearly survived the cull. Good watch. I was surprised to find I preferred it to the SD4000.
    My other great favourite is that Zenith CP2. What a fine Chrono. Especially with a lifetime's supply of straps....