closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Man bag help!

Craftsman

Man bag help!

There seems to be alot of love on the forum for man bags and tactical goods so thought I'd try here for some help.

My wife will be giving birth to our first child imminently and we will be taking shared parental leave. There is no chance I'm going to use the flowery monstrousity of a changing bag she has bought so I've been looking for a nice alternitive for myself. I got lucky on a few bets and a poker game on the weekend so thought I'd treat myself.

The unisex changing bags available are rubbish, so I started looking at expensive 'designer' leather messenger bags etc as it would be useful if I could also use the bag for work etc. But the more I think about it the more I think I need something a bit more robust and practical with lots of pockets etc... so I think a tactical bag could be ideal. Or a large leather messenger bag (rather than a packpack)

I feel like I'm starting to waffle on now, so really I just want some recommendations for high quality bag procucers please? Happy to spend on something where the price reflects the quality.

TIA, Jim

How about this?

eBay

Buy a Billingham , in whatever size suits. You'll be able to pass it on to the sprog when it's an adult too.
    F.T.F.A.

seriously, if you want a changing bag, get a changing bag. get one with a wipe clean flip out section you can change baby on if need be.

if you actually want a man bag, then just buy a man bag ffs
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I would get something from Mulberry as they last forever, plus they have a sale at the moment.

https://www.mulberry.com/gb/shop/sale/sale-mens
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 17th July 2018 at 17:46.

I always used one of the Berghaus small rucksacks, such as the Remote 20, with a pack of changing mats/wet wipes/water bottle/fruit/ toys/ colouring pencils & pads/ change of clothes/ nappies thrown in. I still have and use the rucksack whereas the changing bag my ex insisted on buying at not inconsiderable expense is now stuffed in the bottom of a cupboard somewhere, along with the expensive baby sling, pram, pushchair, etc, blah blah.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    seriously, if you want a changing bag, get a changing bag. get one with a wipe clean flip out section you can change baby on if need be.

Agree with this. It’s going to get covered in dirt, milk, sick and worse. Most of the time it sits under the pushchair. the wife got a cheap one the other day from Amazon which is pretty good and had the wipable Mat, insulated bottle pouches, easy side access for wipes/food etc. No point trying to get something leather or that looks good it’s going to get trashed.

A game/fishing bag with removeable waterproof liner may be an idea. Lots of tradition makers like Chapman and Brady. I like to support the little man so do a search for Ogden shooting supplies. Got one of Phil Ogden's tarran bags in leather, excellent quality and will custom make to your requirements.

I bought a nice deuter back pack that had a few waterproof pockets and all kinds of stow away places. That meant I always had two hands free and could chase and run after them without needing to worry who I was going to whack with my bag or loose.

Craftsman
    That’s amazing - the bulletproof testing haha

You'll need a bag you can chuck in the washing machine or jet wash. :D

Stand clear of the drop zone!

For bags I tend to eschew brands/labels and go for robust handmade products from small craft makers. Either trawl Etsy or noting that the OP is London based I can recommend M&M Leather at Camden market.

You can get changing bag inserts which have the essential bits and can fit into a normal bag!

Craftsman
    Some great suggestions thanks, I’ve been looking at them all and now I’m even more confused about what I want!

I think probably I’ll spend a bit more on a nice bag that I will get more use of, rather than a dedicated nappy bag. The changing bag insert sounds a good idea to avoid leakages.

Master
    Blog Entries

Re

Can supply you with this Snazzy INDO Man Bag>>>

Last edited by Bry1975; 17th July 2018 at 22:40.

First child? You’ll learn, you don’t need half that stuff. Just chuck a nappy, wetwipes and plastic bag in ya pocket. If you need anything extra just stand in a open space and start crying about how hard it is bringing up a baby on your own. You’ll have a queue of women wanting to help.

Master
    Have a look at Millican.

Craftsman
    I bought an Alban messenger bag this week and am very happy with it. Great quality, not too expensive.

https://www.albanbikebags.com/messen...e-leather.html

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Have a look at Millican.
    Defo would be Millican for me. Had a couple from them, favourite was Mark the field bag. Very robust and useful

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've had a Chapman bag for almost ten years and it's been brilliant.

When my son was born I got the following messenger bag from Mothercare:

https://www.mothercare.com/baby-chan...or=black&cgid=

It is £30 and does the job well.

Apprentice

....the guys just asking for opinions, obviously your entitled to yours but just thought the 'ffs' was a bit unnecessary.
    He's not being argumentative or anything, so why you being so salty??

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
    ....the guys just asking for opinions, obviously your entitled to yours but just thought the 'ffs' was a bit unnecessary.

salty is my middle name ffs!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post

Seiko 'Salty' Path. It's got a ring to it.

As for, 'What fancy designer bag should I keep my baby gear in?', FFFS

I looked at loads when my daughter was born (she’s 3 now) and I ended up buying a Storksak backpack, it s a perfectly good bag but it’s total overkill for the job and a bit of a faff. I found a simple tote bag far easier and I bought an absolutely bomb proof one from Ley Clothing Co on Instagram, I chose the colours and Ollie who makes everything put it together for me. I use it all the time and it swallows stuff and never goes wrong. Perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

This is the right answer - We've just welcomed a new born to the family and you need a change bag with pockets for, nappies, bottles, bottle warmer, wipes, clothes, dummies, milk powder, creams/talc, dirty nappies, dirty clothes and a fold out changing mat. Believe me, you don't want an expensive leather bag. We went with a plain black one from Bababing.

Decent backpack with plenty of pockets. Messenger bags may seem like a good idea, but having 2 hands completely free is useful.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Defo would be Millican for me. Had a couple from them, favourite was Mark the field bag. Very robust and useful

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    This is what I’ve decided on for baby duties and I think I will get a Chapman messenger for a work bag.

Thanks for all the great suggestions