closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any 335d -> M3 owners?

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    From the later 4.4 twin turbo , I Take it?
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I know three people who have bought and sold them because they couldn’t live with it, that’s the 6.2 and the 4.4.

If you really are expecting mid 20s try and get a commitment from your dealer
    I know one owner and friends of friends have them. It really seems to be on a ‘car by car’ basis from what I’ve asked and seen online. We’ll see!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukea View Post
    I know one owner and friends of friends have them. It really seems to be on a ‘car by car’ basis from what I’ve asked and seen online. We’ll see!
    Good luck with it, they are great Cars,

I know three people who have bought and sold them because they couldn’t live with it, that’s the 6.2 and the 4.4.

If you really are expecting mid 20s try and get a commitment from your dealer
    Bloke who comes in my shop had the new c63s 4 door model
    He said he hardly ever got over 20 to the gallon. It did sound awesome though

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Bloke who comes in my shop had the new c63s 4 door model
    He said he hardly ever got over 20 to the gallon. It did sound awesome though
    I nearly bought a new C63S coupe earlier this year, it’s a great car and sounds amazing, but the dealer said 15mpg at Best But if you do a lot of town driving expect single figures, as this was an every day car it put me off.

Craftsman
    On my 2nd comp pack M3. Absolutely love them, best all round car I've ever had

- - - Updated - - -

Master
    Had M4 now M3 CP, performance, handling, and reasonable fuel economy. Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    On my 2nd comp pack M3. Absolutely love them, best all round car I've ever had

- - - Updated - - -

What’s colours the bottom pic ? Haven’t seen one that colour before

Looks like mineral grey to me just waxed nicely perhaps?

Craftsman
    Yep as above Mineral grey quite a standard BMW colour. My other was individual Azurite black.

A bit cheeky this.......
    If anyone fancies what’s probably the nicest, low mileage 335d left....do a search on sales corner, I still have mine available.
    95% of m3 performance for 35% of the running cost!

A bit cheeky this.......
    If anyone fancies what’s probably the nicest, low mileage 335d left....do a search on sales corner, I still have mine available.
    95% of m3 performance for 35% of the running cost!
    Not picking a fight but has the 335d got the same suspension, chassis stiffening and electronic diff?

Not picking a fight but has the 335d got the same suspension, chassis stiffening and electronic diff?
    Clearly not the same car! Not a true “M”. However,
    I personally wouldn’t want a stiffer chassis or suspension ( Has M-sport anyway) for use on our roads,I might think differently on a track of course (never do those)
    Diff would be nice considering it has 40% more torque than an M3 v8, I will admit!
    Does have bigger discs and Calipers fitted only to 335’s
    550 mile range on a tank is nice too.

Clearly not the same car! Not a true “M”. However,
    I personally wouldn’t want a stiffer chassis or suspension ( Has M-sport anyway) for use on our roads,I might think differently on a track of course (never do those)
    Diff would be nice considering it has 40% more torque than an M3 v8, I will admit!
    Does have bigger discs and Calipers fitted only to 335’s
    550 mile range on a tank is nice too.
    Is it the adaptive suspension? Mine doesn’t have that and I wish it did (although going now anyway). The standard 335d has SE suspension even on m-sport spec due to the xdrive

Craftsman
    I had a C63 4.0 twin turbo for an extended demo and spent an hour doing my commute and some of the usual places I go, driving normally, eg not flooring it all the time and keeping it under 90 on the motorway, I got 22mpg. The routes were a mix of local road and motorways, but I only covered about 70 miles, and my usual car is an M5 (4.4 twin turbo) which I get 20mpg from.

I was really tempted by the estate, lots of room for the dogs, fast enough to make me smile and the sound is incredible, but the interior really put me off, especially the sat nav.

It'll be interesting to see what you think of it when you get it, keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    I had a C63 4.0 twin turbo for an extended demo and spent an hour doing my commute and some of the usual places I go, driving normally, eg not flooring it all the time and keeping it under 90 on the motorway, I got 22mpg. The routes were a mix of local road and motorways, but I only covered about 70 miles, and my usual car is an M5 (4.4 twin turbo) which I get 20mpg from.

I was really tempted by the estate, lots of room for the dogs, fast enough to make me smile and the sound is incredible, but the interior really put me off, especially the sat nav.

It'll be interesting to see what you think of it when you get it, keep us posted.
    Thanks for the post. I found the interior (bar the sat nav which I know is pants because I’ve driven an s-class quite a bit (not mine)) to be a much nicer place to be than the bmw. Maybe it’s because I’m familiar with the bmw because of my current car. I’m really looking forwards to picking it up. It’s got the premium pack too so a lovely big panoramic sunroof for the great summer we’re having! 22mpg sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I get an average 35mpg from my 335d. I know it’ll cost more to run but it’s a different beast altogether.

Lukea - I don't think it's just your over familiarity with BMW interiors, I have found that I have preferred the interior on Audis (especially) and Mercs over the equivalent age/model of BMW of every one I have been in.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the post. I found the interior (bar the sat nav which I know is pants because I’ve driven an s-class quite a bit (not mine)) to be a much nicer place to be than the bmw. Maybe it’s because I’m familiar with the bmw because of my current car. I’m really looking forwards to picking it up. It’s got the premium pack too so a lovely big panoramic sunroof for the great summer we’re having! 22mpg sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I get an average 35mpg from my 335d. I know it’ll cost more to run but it’s a different beast altogether.
    I'm excited for you, the feeling of getting a new car is great, and this car will make you smile, a lot.

Picked up the new motor today. What can I say. Wow!
    Very refined and a lovely place to be with absolutely unrelenting brutal power. I absolutely love it.
    Driving it like a new fast car I’ve seen 21mpg today. I’m pretty confident that it’ll return about 25mpg once the novelty wears off a bit (if it ever does, the noise is superb!).

And I forgot to add. I’m very glad to be have runflats anymore!

Master
    Picked up the new motor today. What can I say. Wow!
    Very refined and a lovely place to be with absolutely unrelenting brutal power. I absolutely love it.
    Driving it like a new fast car I’ve seen 21mpg today. I’m pretty confident that it’ll return about 25mpg once the novelty wears off a bit (if it ever does, the noise is superb!).
    New new, or new to you? If the former, is there not a running in cycle? Even my JCW gave me an adviser rev limit for the first 1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    New new, or new to you? If the former, is there not a running in cycle? Even my JCW gave me an adviser rev limit for the first 1k.

New to me, somebody else was kind enough to do the frustrating bit :)

Not sure if it’s bad etiquette to revive an old thread but a few months later seeing an average 24mpg so very pleased! Monster to drive in the cold though !

Master
    And how times change, my JCW went in October & was replaced by a 66 plate M4 CP. not really had the weather to play too much, but they’re amazing cars aren’t they!

And how times change, my JCW went in October & was replaced by a 66 plate M4 CP. not really had the weather to play too much, but they’re amazing cars aren’t they!

My girlfriend test drove an M4 yesterday. She said it was like having a wild animal between your legs and that she had to pull over and get out before she ended up in someone's front garden.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    My girlfriend test drove an M4 yesterday. She said it was like having a wild animal between your legs and that she had to pull over and get out before she ended up in someone's front garden.
    I felt that at first, I’ve got a Z4M but this was completely different. The Comp Pack seems a little more tame than the std car, and I found tyre pressures made a huge difference - first car since my S2000 where a couple of psi under was noticeable.

Which car did she drive? There are map updates for gearbox and suspension that make it less of a killing machine, however think the nature of the car is that it will spit you out if you abuse it / drive it without care.

I had a snap coming out of a junction, no idea if it was due to having it in DCT & not having selected MDM, but after I’d counter steered as it twitched, and the computer also joining in, my nose was wide on the oncoming side, luckily with nothing there.

Unlike the previous e46 & e92 M cars I’ve driven the torque on this is the bit that seems to catch people out. I’ve only done 1500 miles since I got mine, so nowhere near having lived with it long enough to learn.

I felt that at first, I’ve got a Z4M but this was completely different. The Comp Pack seems a little more tame than the std car, and I found tyre pressures made a huge difference - first car since my S2000 where a couple of psi under was noticeable.

Which car did she drive? There are map updates for gearbox and suspension that make it less of a killing machine, however think the nature of the car is that it will spit you out if you abuse it / drive it without care.

I had a snap coming out of a junction, no idea if it was due to having it in DCT & not having selected MDM, but after I’d counter steered as it twitched, and the computer also joining in, my nose was wide on the oncoming side, luckily with nothing there.

Unlike the previous e46 & e92 M cars I’ve driven the torque on this is the bit that seems to catch people out. I’ve only done 1500 miles since I got mine, so nowhere near having lived with it long enough to learn.

Interesting! I drive the m3 cp and felt it was too aggressive, too much of a Sports car for for a daily drive. That said my car nearly caught me out in very similar circumstances to what you’ve described. I suspect it was a mix of cold ish tyres and a gear change.

Master
    Interesting! I drive the m3 cp and felt it was too aggressive, too much of a Sports car for for a daily drive. That said my car nearly caught me out in very similar circumstances to what you’ve described. I suspect it was a mix of cold ish tyres and a gear change.
    I find the M3CP a very useable every day driver but if you start using its considerable caperbilities then warm tyres and a good road surface are imperative. Anybody jumping into one from cold and using the throttle as an on/off switch will end up in trouble, it’s the same as any other powerful rear wheel drive car.

Craftsman
    For the price of an F80 M3 i’d go for a late model LCI F10 M5.

I may have missed it but what would be the purpose of the car. Also have the E61 M5 or an RS4 estate, add a little bit more on & you can get a very early C7 RS6 which IMO is the current best all rounder car you can buy right now. I had one & it felt as quick as my old Litchfields Stage 4 R35 GTR

*edit - just saw how old this thread is..*

Aha! So now you believe the tales of them snapping even when in nanny mode and being driven quite reasonably!

Told ya

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Anybody jumping into one from cold and using the throttle as an on/off switch will end up in trouble
    I did exactly that today, worth it for the big grins LOL.

Tyres struggled to get to 23C so I’ll blame them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I did exactly that today, worth it for the big grins LOL.

Tyres struggled to get to 23C so I’ll blame them
    Yep definitely the tyres and nothing to do with you being mental. LOL

Yep definitely the tyres and nothing to do with you being mental. LOL
    Mental indeed! The gold 763s/Cup2s offer on Cutters is tempting, just to add to the mirth

Master
    Mental indeed! The gold 763s/Cup2s offer on Cutters is tempting, just to add to the mirth
    Typical of you CS lot, gold wheels indeed, anyway I think Scott bought them.

Typical of you CS lot, gold wheels indeed, anyway I think Scott bought them.
    Just one set available? Outrageous!

Oh well, at least I’ll avoid kids saying “look dad, that man crashed his Subaru”

Master
    Just one set available? Outrageous!

Oh well, at least I’ll avoid kids saying “look dad, that man crashed his Subaru”
    LOL.