closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 335d -> M3 owners?

Any 335d -> M3 owners?

I’m in the market for a new car and am seriously considering an M3 (F80). I’m currently driving a 335d tourer but would like something with a bit more personality. Question is, has anybody owned both and is the switch a good one?
    There are definite cons to an m3 (no way of mounting a roof box, 2wd, loss of boot space) but they’re all a bit ‘old mannish’. I’m not sure if I need some convincing to buy the m3 or the complete opposite!

Can’t really offer a comparison via ownership, but....
    I own a 335d coupe and have driven numerous M3 v8’s
    The M3 is lovely to look at and listen to and drive really nicely when given the beans, but you seem to have to work them quite hard to get the performance- that’s where 295 ft lbs of torque vs 500 in the diesel shows, I guess .....
    Just done 2855 miles across Europe at an average 42.8 mpg including probably 80 miles at well over 100 mpg I just wonder what the added fun of an M3 would have cost and whether I’d value it?

If you fancy one, I'd say go for it!

Is the F80 the V8 or the new one?

I always fancied an E46 and still think it's the nicest looking with that great n/a straight 6 too!

I do sometimes look at the V8s now and think, maybe... but I am an old man and I need more space for dive gear, so it'll never happen.

Maybe when I get too old to dive, I'll buy an E46 'classic'

On the flipside, I used to own an RX8, which I bought instead of a leggy E46 M3 at twice the price - I never really minded it doing 25MPG tops, but if I rag my current Golf R it gets about the same, but the Mazda always seemed more fun and engaging when it was at 4/10ths.

I find I get more pleasure out of doing 40MPG in the Golf than driving it hard most of the time (sad, but true), it's just so fast that you have to be going stupid speeds to really get any excitement driving it and the opportunities so rarely arise...

Something tells me the M3 might be similar...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 16th July 2018 at 17:13.

Craftsman
    I have to agree with Snowman, having owned a Golf R for two years and I too wonder if the M3 would give you the thrills at anything other than silly speeds. That said, if everyone thought this way then none of these high performance cars would sell.

I know someone who bought a brand new M3 and after about 6 months he sold it as the running costs were crazy compared to his 335d, and he wasn’t short of a few quid. Wouldn’t a mapped 335d give the M3 a run for its money?

No first hand experience, and I add I’m usually all in favour of petrol over diesel, but I’ve head from many that chipping a 335d can make it nearly as powerful as an M3 and give it even more torque without affecting mpg. I’d consider this tbh. I recently had my BMW chipped (Stage 1) at SA Tuning in Essex and have been very happy with the results. For £400 it is probably worth a punt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukea View Post
    I’m in the market for a new car and am seriously considering an M3 (F80). I’m currently driving a 335d tourer but would like something with a bit more personality. Question is, has anybody owned both and is the switch a good one?
    There are definite cons to an m3 (no way of mounting a roof box, 2wd, loss of boot space) but they’re all a bit ‘old mannish’. I’m not sure if I need some convincing to buy the m3 or the complete opposite!
    If you don't need an estate I would go for it. They are fantastic cars if you drive them hard. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I a) could afford it and b) didn't need a bigger car.
    I've 2 x E46 M3's and an E92 M3. The F80 does lose the engine noise of the S54 and the S65 make makes up for it in many other ways.
    A chipped diesel in no way offers the same fun as an M3!

Just got rid of an E92 m3 after 6 weeks

Nope
    Didn’t do it for me
    Completely overrated
    The 335d feels faster and is cheaper to run

I’ve got into an X5 now - backnin my comfort zone

Itch scratched sort of with m3
    Complete waste of my time and money if honest with myself

I’ve had 2 e46 m3,great car ,the newer 335d may be quicker slightly,but I’ve now got an f80 m3 and it blows it away ,the v8s need revving these don’t,yes you can chip a 335d ,but at the end of the day it’s not an M car and that’s it really ,why have brisket with pepper corn sauce when you can have fillet .
    If you go in one you’ll buy .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Mick,

Some of the talk about torque reminds me of my days in Mk2 Golfs. All the 8v drivers would proclaim that their car had more torque than the 16v cars. That was the only metric by which their cars were superior.

In the end, the M car is the one at the top of the tree in terms of what BMW throws at it. I couldn’t sleep at night soundly knowing I had a diesel in the garage (I have an M6 instead), even if it produced more torque than an M after a remap.

Master
    I have a F80 M3 and it would totally blow away an E92 M3 which I have also owned, the two cannot be compared. The best thing the OP can do is have a test drive but don’t try and drive it like a diesel or it will savage you.

Master
    There are very few M3 F80s in the pipeline and in spite of Autocar saying they were ending production in August I have a feeling that BMW are already turning down orders, pending the new 3 Series due out at the back of 2018 - with a new M3 coming some months later (2020?).

Some of the old stock has been punted out to dealers in the past couple of months, to sell as pre-owned. BMW need to get rid of the stock because of emissions constraints and the fact that the current M3 won't be tested to new standards as it is "end-of-line". (M4 is to continue for a while)

In short, if you want one desperately, get it now, but there is a strong possibility that a factory order would be turned down.

As for the comparison - the M3 is fun for a while, but too raw for me as everyday transport. On a cold morning it sounds and drives like a truck - and it is one of those cars that could kill you if you don't treat it with respect.
    Last edited by UKMike; 16th July 2018 at 21:43.

Master
    I ran an X5 35d for 4 years and 100k miles. Very competent at getting from A to B but there was simply no joy in driving it.

If a car is just a transportation device to you keep the diesel, if you are a petrolhead then buy the M3 and look forward to pressing the start button.

Try an M3 competition, it may help nudge things along.
    Interesting comments about the x5, I tried a new M50D, without doubt the worst SUV I have ever driven,

Loving the mixed debate. It’s like the inside of my head on the page ha!
    I’ve also had people saying a remap will ‘match an m3’ but have to agree with the point made above that it’s not an M car.
    Interested in the comment about driving it like a diesel and it savaging... what do you mean?

I’d be buying used so no factory order. You can get an almost new including competition pack for about £42k. If I buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Nope
    Didn’t do it for me
    Completely overrated

TBH I, maybe incorrectly thought you got the car to impress others and not because you wanted it and were a petrol head?

When I got my 335i I looked at the M3 and even though I lusted after it and still do, as an every day family car it would have simply been the wrong car to get for me hence why I wimped out and got the 335i instead.

The other thing that I honestly couldn’t stomach were the running costs, for me they were just too much. Maybe one day as a weekend car I might get one just to satisfy the itch.

Craftsman
    Not personal experience but my brother went 335d to RS4 to 435d. I got him an unrepeatable deal on the Audi which possibly made it easier for him to bail out earlier than if he'd had a huge amount of depreciation to consider. He also looked at an M3 but the Audi deal was too good to miss to have the performance saloon experience. He loved the drama combined with practicality but its fuel consumption - similar to the M3 - and lack of range killed him. He did a Euro-trip and had a regular 100 mile commute and simply couldn't live with sub-20mpg and stopping every couple of days (or 300 miles when touring). Wasn't even the money he just hated the inconvenience.

Master
    If you decide on a F80 M3 I would do your homework regarding what options you need, Comp Pack, DCT, HUD, Icons and full leather as opposed to extended leather are a must, Carbon brakes are nice but not essential, all these bits and pieces are expensive and just the tip of the iceberg regarding what you can have. Highly specced cars are desirable as most of the options are vastly expensive to fit retrospectively if at all. Worth noting that the Competition Pack has the latest software which reduces the torque in the first three gears thus enabling you to get all the power down without ending up in a ditch.

I've had an F80 for about 30 months. It's superb car and hasn't missed a beat. Of the options mentioned, full leather is essential, in mynopinion, and I love the head up display. Economy? Not sure you buy an M car with that in mind, but mine easily returns 30+ if required. Easily.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never had a 335d but I've owned a couple of M3s and they are incredible, the reputation is definitely based on something more than the badge.

As mentioned above, the modern turbo M cars are on a different planet I need terms of outright performance, torque and economy, but conversely I think the NA engined cars like the E46 and E90 have a bit more magic about them.

The 1M is the one for me which has the best of both worlds.

The E90 M3 in the lurid green or sky blue is stunning!

It depends specifically what you're looking for and the kind of relationship you have with cars and more specifically with driving.

You are NOT going to get anywhere quicker on the road in an M3/4 over an x335d, far more likely slower, if anything.

You will get a far sharper chassis and a far more exciting engine, more feedback through your bum and something far more driver-orientated. You should also be speccing the Competition Pack, I haven't been in a Comp Pack M4 but all whom I've spoken to who have driven both have been adamant that it should be specced; the journos concur.

Personally, as a driving enthusiast I would take the M3 every time if I could afford it over the 335d. If you appreciate the sensation of driving and being connected with a car and having to manage the car yourself with more sensitive inputs, then get the M4. If you are the type of person that doesn't come close to being playful or engaging with the car in the way it was designed to be engaged, (i.e. you are the type of person who thinks that because a Quattro A6 can go round a corner quickly and stably that it's 'good to drive' then don't waste your money, get the 335d, it's still a great car).

Alpina?....

They do a D3 and a Touring as well

Or if you want 4wd, take a 3/435d to Birds for a bit of 'tweakage'

Nope
    Didn’t do it for me
    Completely overrated

If the X5 is your comfort zone, then an M3 was never going to be the right choice.

Not surprisingly, I had a 335d for a couple of years then traded it for an e92 M3 (which I kept for 6 years). Different beast, right choice and converted me to NA petrol manual cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Different beast, right choice and converted me to NA petrol manual cars.
    Won't be seeing you in anything new in the future then!

My current car has an auto box (a DSG) and I'll be hunting out a manual again next time (I only got the DSG because VW don't fit manuals to the Golf R Estate).

I almost bought an XF 3.0 diesel - A nice car and nippy enough, if not rip your face off fast like the R in full flood, but I'm really glad I didn't go down the diesel route.

No idea what I'll get next - I like the idea of a 420i manual 4 door thingy (whatever silly name they have for it), but I'm not convinced the boot will be big enough.

Something that needs a bit of ragging with manual box to make progress sounds perfect! Maybe one of those new Fiesta STs?!

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Won't be seeing you in anything new in the future then!
    Doesn't look like it! The current one's nearly 13 years old

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    TBH I, maybe incorrectly thought you got the car to impress others and not because you wanted it and were a petrol head?

When I got my 335i I looked at the M3 and even though I lusted after it and still do, as an every day family car it would have simply been the wrong car to get for me hence why I wimped out and got the 335i instead.

The other thing that I honestly couldn’t stomach were the running costs, for me they were just too much. Maybe one day as a weekend car I might get one just to satisfy the itch.

You assumed wrong but that’s fine
    I love cars - this X5 is just pure luxury with plenty of road presence
    I’ve driven the newer m3 too.... nope

The M2 was a much better car - and rarer

You assumed wrong but that’s fine
    I love cars - this X5 is just pure luxury with plenty of road presence
    I’ve driven the newer m3 too.... nope

The M2 was a much better car - and rarer
    As I said, you got the m3 for all the wrong reasons.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    Alpina?....

They do a D3 and a Touring as well

Or if you want 4wd, take a 3/435d to Birds for a bit of 'tweakage'

Good shout.

Craftsman
    I've had the 335D (F30), M3 (E90) and 335i (E92).

Out of them all, my favourite is by far the 335i coupe, and I mean by a long, long way. It's really quick, so close to the M3 you wouldn't really notice the difference, the engine sounds miles better than the V8 in the M3, which has been described as sounding like it's got a bag of spanners in it, and if economy is your thing, it's a lot more efficient.

But having reread your post, you say the F80 M3 which is a different car altogether, my neighbours got one, and it's great in every way, a much nicer sound and more economical than the old version, plus most of the buffoons are buying M4s, so as an M3 owner, people won't automatically treat you like a wolly.

Get the M3, as an M car owner, I can tell you that you won't regret it, you'll smile every time you drive it.
    Last edited by dickdutch; 18th July 2018 at 09:19. Reason: Whoops

Good idea regarding the Alpina’s however I don’t know why, but I’ve bever liked the look of them!

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post

Out of them all, my favourite is by far the 335i coupe, and I mean by a long, long way. It's really quick, so close to the M3 you wouldn't really notice the difference, the engine sounds miles better than the V8 in the M3, which has been described as sounding like it's got a bag of spanners in it, and if economy is your thing, it's a lot more efficient.

But having reread your post, you say the F80 M3 which is a different car altogether, my neighbours got one, and it's great in every way, a much nicer sound and more economical than the old version, plus most of the w******s are buying M4s, so as an M3 owner, people won't automatically treat you like a t**t.

Get the M3, as an M car owner, I can tell you that you won't regret it, you'll smile every time you drive it.
    You may have let it slip your mind that if the Boss catches you using such foul language outside of the Bearpit..................you'll be out on your ar$e, young man !
    Last edited by reggie747; 18th July 2018 at 08:47.

I'm currently running an E92 335i.
    Great car, I've never driven an M3 but the 335i is awesome, great sound & quick enough for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you think a v8 M3 sounds like a bag of spanners there's no helping you. The 335i is a great car but not a patch on the M3, for handling, power delivery or sound.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    You may have let it slip your mind that if the Boss catches you using such foul language outside of the Bearpit...
    It's my understanding that the same applies to quoting the post in an unedited form.

Master
    You may have let it slip your mind that if the Boss catches you using such foul language outside of the Bearpit..................you'll be out on your behind, young man !
    As would you for quoting it, we’ve seen it happen before...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    The 335i is a great car but not a patch on the M3, for handling, power delivery or sound.
    This. I have an E93 M3 and an E93 335i. The M3 is on a different level in every possible way.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    It's my understanding that the same applies to quoting the post in an unedited form.
    Spoken like a true geek and thank you - now edited to reflect the heads up.

Master
    My friend had 2 f80s. A pre lci M4 then an lci M3. He despised the M4 but felt the lci M3 resolved a lot of the issues.

In the end the M3 didn't last long either though as he felt it was utterly characterless. He now has an M2 which he says is the second best m car he's owned.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    You may have let it slip your mind that if the Boss catches you using such foul language outside of the Bearpit..................you'll be out on your ar$e, young man !
    Thanks, I totally forgot where I was, I feel very strongly about M4 drivers :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    My friend had 2 f80s. A pre lci M4 then an lci M3. He despised the M4 but felt the lci M3 resolved a lot of the issues.

In the end the M3 didn't last long either though as he felt it was utterly characterless. He now has an M2 which he says is the second best m car he's owned.

What was the best M car he owned?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumatwin View Post
    What was the best M car he owned?
    E46 csl. Horribly harsh on roads but he used it on track days where it was perfect.
    Last edited by mowflow; 18th July 2018 at 17:56.

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post

But having reread your post, you say the F80 M3 which is a different car altogether, my neighbours got one, and it's great in every way, a much nicer sound and more economical than the old version, plus most of the buffoons are buying M4s, so as an M3 owner, people won't automatically treat you like a wolly.

Ok, so you’re an idiot, what is wrong with M4’s?

Just seen how long you’ve been here, it’s going to be interesting how long you last, I did put in the bear pit what I thought of you, but you can’t read it!
    Last edited by adrianw; 18th July 2018 at 20:01.

Master
    I think he possibly feels the same as the guy who wrote this review. Read "day seven" and "goodbye" for a shorter answer.

https://sniffpetrol.com/2014/10/17/a...with-a-bmw-m3/

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I think he possibly feels the same as the guy who wrote this review. Read "day seven" and "goodbye" for a shorter answer.

https://sniffpetrol.com/2014/10/17/a...with-a-bmw-m3/

Generally the press thought the M4 is rubbish, yet they think the comp pack is brilliant, I’ve never driven an M4 but have driven 5000 miles in a comp pack, I would say it’s a very good car
    Last edited by adrianw; 19th July 2018 at 08:40.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Ok, so you’re an idiot, what is wrong with M4’s?

Just seen how long you’ve been here, it’s going to be interesting how long you last, I did put in the bear pit what I thought of you, but you can’t read it!
    So what's the point of that?

Do I drove an m3 comp pack which was fast and accurate and almost everything I expected but it wasn’t the leap I expected from my 335d. I also had a go in c63 (estate) and to my surprise and probably to many peoples surprise thought it was miles better. I pick it up next week.

Do I drove an m3 comp pack which was fast and accurate and almost everything I expected but it wasn’t the leap I expected from my 335d. I also had a go in c63 (estate) and to my surprise and probably to many peoples surprise thought it was miles better. I pick it up next week.
    I hope that you enjoy the C63, my Choice ended up between the M4 and the C63S coupe but I decided I just couldn’t live with the real world 12 mpg so bought the bmw

I’ve done some research on the mpg and am expecting mid twenties

It’s interesting re the comment about the M2 being a better car, have only sat in one so might have to see if I can grab a test at some stage.

From the later 4.4 twin turbo , I Take it?

I know three people who have bought and sold them because they couldn’t live with it, that’s the 6.2 and the 4.4.

If you really are expecting mid 20s try and get a commitment from your dealer