closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me go veggie!!

Help me go veggie!!

Fancy giving meat up. Anyone got some nice none meat recipes?

Tar

Alex

Carrot sticks ;)

You are welcome.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Carrot sticks ;)

You are welcome.
    Excellent mate! Remarkable advice 👍

Stay off the drink for a while it’s messing with your head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too early for any innuendo about eating meat?

Ok.

Serious answer - mushrooms. Some have similar characteristics to meat.

Probably because fungi is closer to animals than plants.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Too early for any innuendo about eating meat?

Ok.

Serious answer - mushrooms. Some have similar characteristics to meat.

Probably because fungi is closer to animals than plants.
    Cheers. I had a veggie chilli last night and it was lovely! I’ve always wanted to be meat free for my own reasons but never found any decent recipes. I can cook so happy to listen to any recipes even if theyre difficult.

Try a few pasta alla Norma recipes - it is an easy dish and one of the meat free ones I enjoy. Everyone has their own take but a reasonable start is Dick Van Dyke’s version...

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...ti-alla-norma/

Get the Terre a Terre cookbook.
    even the carnivores will be hard pushervto Ian about the lack of meat.

Fish. Good for you as you know.
    I'm not a cuisine goddess so no recipes, sorry.....

Quorn.

We started using it as an addition to minced beef in dishes such as chilli con carne, lasagna, cottage pie, etc and steadily increased the ratio of it to 100 per cent.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    Try a few pasta alla Norma recipes - it is an easy dish and one of the meat free ones I enjoy. Everyone has their own take but a reasonable start is Dick Van Dyke’s version...

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...ti-alla-norma/
    I'm sorry, no.
    Pasta alla norma needs ricotta salata; cooking it without is like cooking an omelette without eggs

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Quorn.

We started using it as an addition to minced beef in dishes such as chilli con carne, lasagna, cottage pie, etc and steadily increased the ratio of it to 100 per cent.

R
    Do you not eat meat Ralph?

I've been vegetarian for 11 years this year.

Quorn is an easy way to transition, but it's certainly not "health food" as they market it... It's processed food.

One of my favourite dishes is butternut squash and goat's cheese lasagne - google it, there are many variations on the recipe.

Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Do you not eat meat Ralph?
    Yes I do, but I've reduced the amount down.

But until anyone ever creates a better vegan alternative to a bacon sarnie though ... ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Cheers. I had a veggie chilli last night and it was lovely! I’ve always wanted to be meat free for my own reasons but never found any decent recipes. I can cook so happy to listen to any recipes even if theyre difficult.
    I'm not veggie but I do cut meat every now and then. Go heavy on high quality mushrooms in pasta and rice-based dishes and it can be rewarding. Grilling them is better than frying for antioxidant properties.

Look up lentil loaf, like meat loaf only with lentils. My lovely mum used to make this for me and it was delicious but I decided it tasted even better with minced chuck steak and wrapped in smoked streaky bacon. Try the lentil loaf version, it’s good and still got some protein.

Check your macros to make sure you get the correct balance of protein, carbohydrates and fats. Get MyFitnessPal App, that’ll help you check your new diet is balanced and healthy.

Quorn.

R
    I, like a large number of people, am allergic to Quorn - it’s a cultured mold which I think came about as either a success or bi-product by ICI / Astra Zeneca experiments in their food division.

Disgusting stuff! Didn’t McD’s pull their Quorn burger some years ago, as people were getting ill eating them?

I don't like quorn. I think its weird.
    Used to like the mince in a bolognese sometimes but i don't eat it anymore.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I, like a large number of people, am allergic to Quorn - it’s a cultured mold which I think came about as either a success or bi-product by ICI / Astra Zeneca experiments in their food division.

Disgusting stuff! Didn’t McD’s pull their Quorn burger some years ago, as people were getting ill eating them?
    No idea, but recently SWMBO has been substituting local wild mushrooms for Quorn/meat in some dishes.

R

Al, my advice to you is love the ingredients.
    It's hard if youre used to basing everything around meat. You will almost definitely look to introducing meat substitutes as a way to aprroaching vegetarianism. But this is a mistake in my view. If you are comparing veg substitutes to meat products then you'll inevitably be disappointed. Love the ingredients man.

Blog Entries
    Wife and daughter are veggie and, frankly, I don’t miss eating meat day to day...

Are you allowed fish?

Paneer is great... so is feta and good lentils (merchant gourmet stuff)

If your want filling stuff...

Aubergine with mozarealle and tomatoes (parmigiana)
    Char grilled aubergines honey, chilli, garlic and ginger with coconut milk and a curry sauce

WhatsApp me mate and i’ll reccomend a couple of recipes/ books

Ben

Ps... kids Lapped barbecue today with corn on thr cob, hallouni (with sweet chilli) and mixed veg barbecued
    Last edited by Wolfie; 15th July 2018 at 23:20.

The number of people allergic to Quorn is estimated to be ~1 in 150,000 - compare this to the number of people allergic to soya (~1 in 300).

It's a cultured mould but, like yeast, a cultured fungus.

I thought it was a mycoprotein first found in windsor great park by a bird walking her dogs

Al. These are the boss dogs. Only meat substitute that's actually nicer than actual bits of dead animals.

Special mention to the tofu block.

Pricey but well worth looking out for

Love you long time

Davey boy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Try a stir fry of mixed vegetables and such. I use mushroom, sweet peppers, onions, broccoli, tomato, anything you fancy really, and some pre cooked rice. Fry off in olive oil, add soy sauce, tomato puree, and some cream coconut block. And enjoy.

I'm a huge carnivore, but Mrs K makes a blinding chickpea curry and also a cauliflower and broccoli curry. They are very nice alternatives.

We are far from veggie, but regularly cook a couple of meat free meals during the week, one of my favourites is take one of those long pointy peppers, cut lengthways and fill the cavities with lentils (as mentioned above, merchant gourmet stuff) then cut slices of buffalo mozzarella and lay on top, a drizzle of olive oil, coarse black pepper and then bake for 15 mins, serve with steamed rice. Really nice, the mozzarella melts into the lentils and the peppers go soft and sweet.

( I sometimes add sliced chorizo on top if we have it in, but defeats the purpose here )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Lentil ragu:

Chop 1 onion, 2 celery, 2 carrot into small (tiny) dice, fry in olive oil until soft. Add 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.

Add big tin and small tin of toms, oregano, thyme and bay leaves, 250g split red lentils, 500ml veg stock, 2 tbs tom puree, season to taste.

Gently bring to the boil, turn down and simmer, stirring occasionally until lentils are soft and you have a lovely saucy, herby ragu - about 40 mins.

Serve on pasta of choice with grated Parmesan and some garlic bread.

Easy

I sometimes use less stock and add red wine which makes it a bit richer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are these videos online from a channel called Tasty. They've launched a vegitarian one now. Worth checking out. I'm going to try their sweet potato and broccoli curry at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Get the Terre a Terre cookbook.
    even the carnivores will be hard pushervto Ian about the lack of meat.
    Yep best cookbook there is.

Been veggie (well okay I still eat fish a bit) for 15 years no - don't miss it at all. Some of the quorn substitutes are decent but as with eating chicken, you really need to make decent sauces, cook with plenty of herbs, spices etc.

And now it's apparently the food fo choice, jack fruit is nice - texture is somewhere between pineapple and pork. Honestly. it can be baked, stir fried etc. Got to be honest i'm not a huge fan of tofu, although the blocks mentioned here are about the best I find it a faff, although I do like Seitan and the various forms it comes in.

It's a lot easier now to find substitutes and supermarkets that actually cater for non-meat eaters than it was even 5 years ago.

I first went veggie when i was about 19. Those were the days that if you were eating out and said you were veggie, people would say 'we've got chicken, is that alright?'

Things have come a long way since then, although I'm no fan of alot of the processed crap on the market.

Most of what i eat is veggie and has been for the last thirty years. Although as ralphy says, you will never find a substitute for a bacon sandwich (if that is what you're looking for..)

Just reducing meat consumption has massive potential benefits both for your personal health and that of the planet as a whole.

Then there are the ethical /animal welfare considerations that come with factory farming.
    If you want to see some hardcore propoganda watch 'earthlings',, definitely worth watching if you eat meat, although it is pretty distressing.
    Last edited by seikopath; 16th July 2018 at 08:54.

River Cottage Veg is a nice simple 'everyday' cookbook to give you some ideas of what to do while you get your eye in to veggie cooking.
    The LEON veg book is a bit hard going, wouldn't recommend that one unless you are a fully committed veggie.

I have found the key to making tasty dishes is that you need to spend much more effort adding layers of flavour, rather than rely on the meat to do the job for you, so lots of herbs, spicing, Parmesan and decent stock. Chestnut mushrooms and pulses are great, we use puy lentils, chickpeas, and various other dried beans all the time and they are great, they give the dish a bit of substance.

A few recipes we have tried with success:
    Try the veggie shepherds pie, by Lorraine Pascal
    There is a chili version using puy lentils too, but I cant remember who that is by.
    Fried spiced polenta chips from the river cottage veg book are amazing.
    Rosemary and thyme risotto is gorgeous. Amy Willcock (AGA)

I have never used tofu/quorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The number of people allergic to Quorn is estimated to be ~1 in 150,000 - compare this to the number of people allergic to soya (~1 in 300).

It's a cultured mould but, like yeast, a cultured fungus.
    I think they are lying about the figures! I know more people allergic to Quorn than nuts, soya or seafood. There are only around 80,000 people living on my part time island home, and I know more than 10 people who have reactions, most quite violent, to Quorn. Which makes those figures somewhat questionable, all imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I'm a huge carnivore, but Mrs K makes a blinding chickpea curry and also a cauliflower and broccoli curry. They are very in alternatives.
    Daals and vegetable curries should give you some scope. Home made caponata. Parmigiana. Wild mushroom risotto.

I have to say I don’t like eating mass produced cheap meat. Horrible product from animals that lead horrible lives. I pretty much only buy free range organic meat or game, plus fish and shellfish. Don’t think I could give it up altogether though.

Master
    If you're keeping fish in the diet then I found a cracking salmon teriyaki stir fry on one of the recipe websites. It's one of the nicest meals I've had and it only takes about 15 minutes to prepare and cook.

I think they are lying about the figures! I know more people allergic to Quorn than nuts, soya or seafood. There are only around 80,000 people living on my part time island home, and I know more than 10 people who have reactions, most quite violent, to Quorn. Which makes those figures somewhat questionable, all imho.
    quorn is a bit weird. can't quite put my finger on it, but i think its like a mutant hybrid alien soylent green type thing.

tofu is ok, as long as its a decent one. watch out for GM content though.

plain tofu needs a lot of dressing up. try marinating it in soy sauce or teriyaki, or getting the smoked tofu.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Fish. Good for you as you know.
    I'm not a cuisine goddess so no recipes, sorry.....
    Oh FFS, what bit of 'Fish' is a vegetable!

Sorry, but veggies who eat fish irritate me enormously...

I'm sure there are people who for medical reasons can't eat meat and aren't avoiding it for 'ethical' reasons, but the one who are and eat fish are hypocrites.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 16th July 2018 at 10:24.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I'm sure there are people who for medical reasons can't eat meat and aren't avoiding it for 'ethical' reasons, but the one who are and eat fish are hypocrites.

M

Not necessarily hypocrites. They might object to farming methods or consider fish less sentient than mammals.

They might, but they'd be wrong.

Fishing methods are often equally bad and most fish are more sentient than the President of the USA, although I accept they don't leave a bad taste in your mouth.

A living creature is a lving creature. If you have a problem eating pretty lambs you should have a problem eating a trout.

I eat fish and I eat meat, but a fish isn't veggie food!

Sorry, feeling a bit sh*t today and this annoys me, apologies for the off track diversion.

M

Not necessarily hypocrites. They might object to farming methods or consider fish less sentient than mammals.
    Last edited by snowman; 16th July 2018 at 10:36.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Alot of fish is farmed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

If you eat fish, you're not a vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Alot of fish is farmed
    Different methods though.

Vegetables are farmed.

Different methods though.

Vegetables are farmed.
    I think salmon is amongst the worst in terms of animal and consumer health. Vegetables are farmed, but most of them are not sentient. Although if you spend time in the bear pit you might disagree

Blog Entries
    Apart from the classic chickpeas, bean sprouts and lentils - good source for proteins and minerals, my total favourite vegetables are wild ceps (porcini), peppers (red and yellow, not green) and aubergines.

Aubergines are at their maximum in a sicilian recipe, the "caponata". Totally gorgeous and saisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1kZEHdQ-g8
    Last edited by Franco; 16th July 2018 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Al, my advice to you is love the ingredients.
    It's hard if youre used to basing everything around meat. You will almost definitely look to introducing meat substitutes as a way to aprroaching vegetarianism. But this is a mistake in my view. If you are comparing veg substitutes to meat products then you'll inevitably be disappointed. Love the ingredients man.
    Absolutley this ! My family are vegetarian/vegan and they make lovely food. Fruit & (non-dairy) yogurt for breakfast / lunch is really nice. Roasted veg are my favorite, but salads are good too, a lot of Mediterranean stuff, great desserts too made with dates, peanuts etc. can also get non-dairy ice-cream now. AlPro stuff is all good from what I have had.

Deliciously Ella will also give you some ideas and as others have said it is pretty easy eating out now even if vegan (although a strict vegan would want a non-meat kitchen) at least the days of picking bits off the menu to combine for a main are over now.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Apart from the classic chickpeas, bean sprouts and lentils - good source for proteins and minerals, my total favourite vegetables are wild ceps (porcini), peppers (red and yellow, not green) and aubergines.

Aubergines are at their maximum in a sicilian recipe, the "caponata". Totally gorgeous and saisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1kZEHdQ-g8
    That does look nice. Mrs K has been doing something similar with just aubergine, tomatoes and onion, good as an accompaniment to BBQ. Also warmed in frying pan and egg broken into it.

We'll try that recipe though - I like celery and capers!

Blog Entries
    That does look nice. Mrs K has been doing something similar with just aubergine, tomatoes and onion, good as an accompaniment to BBQ. Also warmed in frying pan and egg broken into it.

We'll try that recipe though - I like celery and capers!
    I use exactly the same recipe (was from my grandma) but after having blanched the celery (which I cut smaller) then I pass it in the pan with the onions etc. Never use egg though

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I use exactly the same recipe (was from my grandma) but after having blanched the celery (which I cut smaller) then I pass it in the pan with the onions etc. Never use egg though
    Egg isn’t part of the recipe, just like a ‘fried’ egg in the vegetables.

Master
    I’ve alao been a vege for the better part of 30 years and would advise mixing it up as much as possible, pasta dishes using peppers, onions and celery, sweat it down for a good while and add good fresh toms, the leaves from the celery and fresh herbs and a handful of olives is delicious. You can get get a good vege alternative to parmesan feom Morrisons too.
    Tofu is also good if you press most of the water out and marinade in garlic, chilii, soy and ginger and wack it in a hot wok with whatever veg you fancy.
    Pulses, chickpeas and the rest are always great to have in but a stash of fresh herbs, aromatics and spices will give even the mundane a great lift.

Fancy giving meat up. Anyone got some nice none meat recipes?

Tar

Alex
    Enough of this nonsense. Go and have a steak.

I’m thinking of you.
    So clever my foot fell off.

No idea, but recently SWMBO has been substituting local wild mushrooms for Quorn/meat in some dishes.

R
    Face it - she’s trying to poison you.
    So clever my foot fell off.