closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Erikas Original - jury is out for me

Erikas Original - jury is out for me

Received my first ever Erikas Original today. Let’s just get this out the way first, they are a little pricey, but the material and the way it has elastic “give” are definite plus points. Also the way it avoids the unsightly (to some) tuck back of the flap is a bonus. All good so far, but for me there are a couple of negatives.

Firstly the need to use a spring bar tool to change out the strap is a bit irksome compared to the thread through method of normal natos which is much faster.

Secondly an issue I haven’t heard before. I find it awkward as all hell engaging the hook into the keeper. Is there a technique to this?

While my gmt is off getting sorted I tried the Erika on my BBR and it is comfortable and does look and wear very well, but can’t escape the feeling I’m doing something wrong when trying to hook the clasp 🤨

You have to kind of push the top of the slotted bit up whilst pushing the hooked bit up to get the angle, a bit fiddly but once you get it right it gets easier, there are a few YouTube vids showing you how.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    You have to kind of push the top of the slotted bit up whilst pushing the hooked bit up to get the angle, a bit fiddly but once you get it right it gets easier, there are a few YouTube vids showing you how.
    I’ll persevere.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeh, I swore at mine for a week or so until I got the knack of it. With wear the material gets a little more give too which makes it easier.

I like mine and it's really comfy especially as a holiday/diving strap as it's so easy to adjust as your wrist changes with heat.

But definitely overpriced - I dont think I'd buy another at full price.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    feeling I’m doing something wrong when trying to hook the clasp 🤨
    I had the same thing when I got mine. I’ve found it easiest to hook up the little traveller part with my index finger and slide the hook in at an angle. I’ve taken a photo which I hope explains. I don’t normally wear my watches on water bottles but I don’t have a 3rd hand to take the photo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeott View Post
    I had the same thing when I got mine. I’ve found it easiest to hook up the little traveller part with my index finger and slide the hook in at an angle. I’ve taken a photo which I hope explains. I don’t normally wear my watches on water bottles but I don’t have a 3rd hand to take the photo!

That certainly helps.

Journeyman
    Haha, yes I had this issue as well. Don't worry Rusty with time it will get better. Inserting the hook at the cut side first while holding the metal keeper does the trick for me. Initially it was pain but now it takes two seconds to do that.

Let us know when you receive your Black Bay GMT back with description of what has been done to fix the date change problem.

Cheers

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
    Haha, yes I had this issue as well. Don't worry Rusty with time it will get better. Inserting the hook at the cut side first while holding the metal keeper does the trick for me. Initially it was pain but now it takes two seconds to do that.

Let us know when you receive your Black Bay GMT back with description of what has been done to fix the date change problem.

Cheers

AD actually called this morning asking if it’s ok for the Tudor rep to call me directly - they are looking at my watch just now so at least whatever it is will be dealt with swiftly (as it should be). What I want (other than a fully working piece) is an explanation WHY it happened and not just a “here you go all sorted now have a nice day” comment, so I’m happy the Tudor rep will be contacting me.

Journeyman
    Great stuff, thanks for keeping us updated!

I will be interested to know if it happens with other BB GMTs would it be possible to be fixed locally at the AD watchmaker or the watches has to be dispatched to Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
    Great stuff, thanks for keeping us updated!

I will be interested to know if it happens with other BB GMTs would it be possible to be fixed locally at the AD watchmaker or the watches has to be dispatched to Tudor.

If you repair it locally and not via Tudor you would invalidate the warranty

Cheers Rusty. I've stalled on the Erika's just yet as I'm happy with the current rubber strap. I was always keen to know how secure the clasp was. Hopefully you find out what the issue was with the GMT. Interested in seeing if u get an explanation, my father in law had an issue with his datejust, never got close to being told the issue, well see if Tudor act differently...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I have to say once it’s on it’s STUNNINGLY comfortable - I’m sold on it. Currently breaking it in on the BBR

AD actually called this morning asking if it’s ok for the Tudor rep to call me directly - they are looking at my watch just now so at least whatever it is will be dealt with swiftly (as it should be). What I want (other than a fully working piece) is an explanation WHY it happened and not just a “here you go all sorted now have a nice day” comment, so I’m happy the Tudor rep will be contacting me.
    Mine has just been sent off to Tudor too.

I'd be grateful if you could update once you've spoken to Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by whoami View Post
    Mine has just been sent off to Tudor too.

I'd be grateful if you could update once you've spoken to Tudor.
    Will do but not on this thread - there’s a gmt thread I’ll update there

Journeyman
    If you repair it locally and not via Tudor you would invalidate the warranty
    If the procedure is simple enough, I believe the local AD has watchmakers trained at Rolex to perform certain work on the watches. I used their services for changing the steel bezel on my Explorer II. I will ask if their intervention (if needed) will invalidate the warranty.

While you are waiting for yours, here's mine on Erica's.;)

Any news on your side? Edit: just seen your response above. Will be checking the other thread.

Master
    These Erikas are a new one for me, are they a recent development?

Like the idea of the elastic element, but does it need to be tight to allow the clasp to hold?

I tend to like my NATO’s slightly loose so that I can fit a finger underneath. Kind of like the slight movement of the watch head as you get on a bracelet.

TBF, I’m not yet convinced anything is going to beat the comfort of sinn rubber & large clasp, most comfy thing I’ve ever worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Like the idea of the elastic element, but does it need to be tight to allow the clasp to hold?
    No, not particularly. That was one of my concerns too.

With the tudor gmt being a new model I would have thought all watches would have gone back to tudor directly so they can come up with a solution to the problem. Persevere with the Erika's strap - they are brilliant.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

How adjustable are they, or do you need to buy the exact size?
    It's just a matter of time...

When you order you give your wrist size - each one is made to your spec/options.They have quite a bit of adjustment as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Infinitely adjustable via the sliding hook keeper. Bit fiddly but once done it’s as close to the perfect fit as you can get. Think perlon

Erikas Original - jury is out for me

when I get the BB58 it will be on bracelet, but the OEM nato looks great. When I go onto Erikas site under the Black Ops section it looks like the khaki thread option would be perfect as centerline but no option to select that. If you pick for eg the red centre line you can then pick khaki thread. What I don’t want is a red centreline with a khaki cross stitching. Does anyone know if I am reading that correct? I emailed Erikas but had no reply?
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 19th July 2018 at 13:41.

Craftsman
    I found Erika does take a little while to reply, but she/he/they will get back to you.

Joe

Master
    [IMG]When I go onto Erikas site under the Black Ops section it looks like the khaki thread option would be perfect as centerline but no option to select that. If you pick for eg the red centre line you can then pick khaki thread. What I don’t want is a red centreline with a khaki cross stitching. Does anyone know if I am reading that correct? I emailed Erikas but had no reply?
    As far as I understand it, that's correct - the centreline is the colour you select in the picture, but what you select from the drop-down menu is the cross stitching part.
    Last edited by andy100; 19th July 2018 at 15:51. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    As far as I understand it, that's correct - the centreline is the colour you sleect in thep icture, but what you select from the drop-down menu is the cross stitching part.
    Ah that’s a blow. Wanted the khaki centreline

Master
    Ah that’s a blow. Wanted the khaki centreline
    Yeah I think that would look really good too. Maybe worth emailing it as a suggestion to Erika?

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    Yeah I think that would look really good too. Maybe worth emailing it as a suggestion to Erika?
    Yeah have done with the above pic to show what I mean. See what happens

Craftsman
    Looking at mine which arrived today I’m pretty sure the centreline is woven into the strap material rather than stitched on after.
    It would look great though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    Looking at mine which arrived today I’m pretty sure the centreline is woven into the strap material rather than stitched on after.
    It would look great though.
    I know when I enquired as to whether the vintage strap could come with a khaki centre stitch rather than the red, I was told "no", but assumed that was down to the webbing being actual vintage NOS/reclaimed webbing that's used for those. But I think I agree that the centre line is woven in. Still, maybe she'll take the idea for a future run!