closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Biggest house spider

Biggest house spider

That i think I've seen in the uk.
    Next to standard size credit card type thing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cute :-)

Waitrose indeed. You're all baller.

Craftsman
    That is a baby ;-)

I don't normally see them in the house until the autumn when it starts getting cold outside, the biggest I see are the long side of the credit card in diameter (legs and all).

I will get a picture in a couple of months, I actually like them as they make a dash across the sitting room carpet like they are in sneaky stealth mode but I catch the movement out of the corner of my eye.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I was sat in the lounge of an old shared house some years back and a humugous spider heaved aside the enormous bookcase in the room and sauntered out into the middle of the room. There was a rush to escape but unfortunately we had to sacrifice the weakest housemate. All we ever found was his left big toe.

Watched one a little larger than that only two nights ago walk along the wall opposite where I was sat,,It got to end, turned round and walked back, no idea where it is just now.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Spider wins........Time to move house

That’s not a spider ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Meh, when it start hunting your dog it's time to worry.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

That's not a spider; this is a spider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed in a place in Australia where in the breakfast room there was a wonderful "golden orb" spider in its web in the corner of the ceiling, must have been the size of my hand.

n2

I don't mind the bigger ones.

It's the small ones with the big bites or heavy venom that I don't like.

We don't have much to worry about in the UK - the odd false black widow around here in the South.

Elsewhere in the world, anything carrying latrotoxin is not a great house pet. If it has a marble-shaped body, hourglass markings and spindly legs then I tend to assume it's not friendly.

We had some raft spiders on a pond in a previous home, pretty decent-sized and they'd predate on the smaller fish.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Waitrose indeed. You're all baller.
    He’s a Flexa... introduced to this term by my 15 year old son I.e “she’s a bit of a flexa” - shows picture of girl in her posh jacket on an insta pic, tagging ‘Moncler’ in the picture ...

Master
    Anyone got any tube web spiders about?

Chances are you probably have but don’t know it, seem to have invaded over recent years. It’s a pretty ‘fun’ game giving their trip web strands a tickle with a blade of grass. Shortest piece of grass who gets the spider out and grabs it wins!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Fabulous, very jealous.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Anyone got any tube web spiders about?

Chances are you probably have but don’t know it, seem to have invaded over recent years. It’s a pretty ‘fun’ game giving their trip web strands a tickle with a blade of grass. Shortest piece of grass who gets the spider out and grabs it wins!
    Hundreds of the buggers....they are all round the sheds,garage wall and other places. There has been a big one camped out right next to the garage light switch for years. You forget until you grope round the corner for the switch!!

Master
    Biggest I've seen was about the size of a coke can top. It's still squashed across my garage wall.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Hundreds of the buggers....they are all round the sheds,garage wall and other places. There has been a big one camped out right next to the garage light switch for years. You forget until you grope round the corner for the switch!!
    I'm surprised that you of all people haven't got a selection of recipes for spider curry, deep fried spider, etc...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I am just waiting for one of the TZ members residing in Oz to reply......

Their Huntsman spiders used to fight with you when you tried to push them outside with a broom!

Craftsman
    I just don’t understand how anyone can like anything with 8 legs and fangs?

I'm a big chap and not easily scared, but those spiders make a bit of wee come out...

There’s a fairly hefty one living under my dishwasher. He usually hides when anyone comes his way, but on Sunday he wasn’t going anywhere so the wife had to work round him when she was cleaning the floor.
    Last edited by Scrubnut; 17th July 2018 at 12:34.

Master
    Best get an airsoft pistol for target practice.

Do NOT kill spiders.
    All the family relatives come out looking for the deceased.
    Karma bitches.

If you haven't got the courage to pick them up:
    Place drinking glass over, slide some cardboard under... and release outside.

Bonus:
    1) You'll sleep better knowing you've not needlessly killed one
    2) By way of thanks, the surviving spider will live on to rid you of those pesky flies & stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Do NOT kill spiders.
    Unless it's one of these .... Then do it as fast as possible !

Grand Master
    In the distant past, when I did plenty of car work, I used to get huge spiders in my garage............so big they could pass me a spanner whilst under the car

I don’t mind spiders, they don’t worry me, but when the buggers are big enough to stare at you it’s a bit unnerving when you’re laid under a car.

Paul

Master
    My wife keeps chestnuts on the window sills, supposed to keep spiders away, any the that get our house are met with a hoover nozzle, not a fan of spiders is my wife, although I've seen her spray hair spray at them to slow them down till she can "remove" them.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    Unless it's one of these .... Then do it as fast as possible !

False widow?

Master
    I live in a bungalow in a semi rural area and we get out fair of large house Spiders knocking about, I know they strike the fear of god into some people but I'm lucky enough not to be one.

I think with the change of climate there are more nasty biting/stinging flies about these days, so the Spiders are welcome here, I got bitten on the side of the face the other night whilst sleeping, so a big house Spider on my pillow wouldn't have been a bad thing.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    False widow?
    Yes believe so. I also had one:

And one of these:

Fairly sure the top one is a false widow.

Bottom one looks more benign but I'm not an expert.

Master
    I know when a spiders in the house - the wife screams.

Master

Yes the top one is, but not the bottom one.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the top one is, but not the bottom one.

Master

Not an actual photie because it was so long ago but as close as I can get.

It used to wander around the house at all hours - the cat used to go bananas when it was around.

Many a person was freaked when it strolled about - but then we had a macaque around the same time.

B
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like a Central American tarantula species. I'm assuming that wasn't in Cheshire that it was wandering around the house?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That looks like a Central American tarantula species. I'm assuming that wasn't in Cheshire that it was wandering around the house?

SE asian cobalt - yes we had to keep her temperature up when we came back here so environment control was mandatory for good health - alas, many years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    SE asian cobalt - yes we had to keep her temperature up when we came back here so environment control was mandatory for good health - alas, many years back.
    Ah they get these in Thailand. Live underground mostly. You did realise I presume that their bite is medically significant? It's not like a Mexican redknee. The cobalt blue bite will cause severe cramping and respiratory distress?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Ah they get these in Thailand. Live underground mostly. You did realise I presume that their bite is medically significant? It's not like a Mexican redknee. The cobalt blue bite will cause severe cramping and respiratory distress?

Yes I've had this discussion many times - theres a nip and a bite. I only ever had a nip and I was advised to milk the venom periodically. The Nigerian baboons also had this tendency from memory - if you are food you get bitten. If you corner them you get nipped.

Vast over simplification but you probs get the gist.

I never had a redknee - beautiful looking though and the star of many a film.

:-)

I was never into snakes whereas some of the guys were and that seems to me to be another world of pain and shock.

B
    Last edited by Brian; 18th July 2018 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yes I've had this discussion many times - theres a nip and a bite. I only ever had a nip and I was advised to milk the venom periodically. The Nigerian baboons also had this tendency from memory - if you are food you get bitten. If you corner them you get nipped.

Vast over simplification but you probs get the gist.

I never had a redknee - beautiful looking though and the star of many a film.

:-)

I was never into snakes whereas some of the guys were and that seems to me to be another world of pain and shock.

B
    Ah the African Baboon Spider! My ex-missus was into tarantulas - had a Mexican Redknee, a Costa Rican Zebra Tarantula, an Indian Ornamental and a King Baboon Spider. I used to do the tank maintenance with those long metal tongs. With the other spiders, all very sedate. The Baboon? Different story. This thing was the most aggressive b@stard (it used to hiss at people!!!) and one day it managed (with lightning speed) to shoot up the metal tongs I was using, onto my hand where it bit me three times in quick succession. I had to go to hospital with the bite (which was bleeding profusely - like a cat bite) and it hurt like a bugger for 5 days. Lesson learned - never mess with a King Baboon Spider!!!!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 19th July 2018 at 02:03.

Master
    We had to be very careful since the macaque(jacko) used to loved to snack on spiders and he was so clever at getting into things that we had to put a lock on the tank lid.

Nothing was safe foodwise. He used to love toothpaste for some reason. Eggs were a favourite but he was basically omni.

9 times out of 10 he was just a docile friendly animal but if anyone or anything even shouted at or moved towards me he became a snarling, teeth baring, biting nasty piece of work. Great for me. I miss him more than the ex wife.

We had a south american blue (parrot) two dogs and three cats as well - meal times were a hoot. jacko used to put his own bib on and sit at the table sometimes before he became old and grumpy.

Since I started travelling I no longer keep animals (even at base) because it is just not fair on them.

I've been watching this bugger for the past few weeks at work and I'm certain it's a false widow. It's rather big I'd say around about the size of an old 50p piece, with the skull on its back. It's abdomen is huge. Most mornings I come in and there's something wrapped up in it's web and it's giving it a love bite.
    It throws the empty carcasses down on to the window below.
    My instinct is to spray it with something but it's a fantastic looking thing so don't really want to although I believe. It's one of the nastier ones we have over here,

Yup. False widow. Won't bite unless you do something silly. Fascinating creatures with a "false" reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Yup. False widow. Won't bite unless you do something silly.
    I sold my Speedie Alaska for peanuts.

That was pretty silly. Thankfully, I didn't do it in front of the false widows we had in the garage.

I sold my Speedie Alaska for peanuts.

That was pretty silly. Thankfully, I didn't do it in front of the false widows we had in the garage.
    Well as long as you do not dance to attract her..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Tarantella?

I'm not au fait but I bet there is some truth in it.