closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 5 into 1, Consolidating into a Grand Seiko. Pic Heavy.

5 into 1, Consolidating into a Grand Seiko. Pic Heavy.

Of late I have been rather bored of what the watch world had to offer. I was content with my Aqua Terra 8500 amongst a few cheaper watches that gave variety. However the AT stopped feeling special, sure it was a well put together watch and with the 8500 movement was accurate and reliable. In the back of my mind I regretted getting the larger 41.5mm size. The AT being nearly all dial it looked large on my girlish wrist.

I had always been impressed with the many Seikos I tried in the sub £200 arena. All were very good watches for very little money. At the back end of last year I bought, from the forum at £450, the Seiko Brigthz SBGM001. It was a revelation. The bracelet was superb and the sunburst dial just mesmerising. Placed next to the AT you were hard pushed to tell the difference in quality. I thought this astonishing given one retails at £3k+ and the other can be bought new from the Seiko boutique for £749. Of course, the major difference being the movement.

This led me to thinking, if Seiko can do this for £749 what can they do with a £5k+ watch. My hunt began for a Grand Seiko. I watched all the videos I could on Seiko and fell in love with the hand finishing, etc... I bought into the story, albeit with limited ADs/limited 2nd hand supply I never got to handle one. After meeting a fellow member who had one for sale I was certain I needed a GS, however I was not in the position to buy his prior to moving my collection on to fund it.

I decided to pop into the Seiko Boutique, armed with my credit card, and I fell in love with the hi-beat SBGJ203G. The level of finishing is unlike anything I've seen on a watch at or around this price, and many £000's more. The dial is jet black in most light but has a beautiful dark brown sunburst texture to it. Each link in the bracelet is made of 5 individual pieces. The end of the lugs have about 6 different surfaces, all finished in a different direction; just amazing. The hand applied markers and lettering. The exquisite hands. The attention to detail is something else.

So, 5 watches out (AT8500, Tag Carrera CV2010, PRS-21 Dreadnought Voyager, Seiko Black DLC Monster and the superb Seiko Brightz) and 1 in. I'm almost a 2 watch man, this and the Seiko SBCM023 and some G-Shocks. Plus the wife has a PRS-29a which I can nick on the odd occasion.

Anyway, this is by far the best watch I have ever owned. I genuinely think it's going to take something extra EXTRA special to beat it. I've done my best to show it's finish and beauty however my photography skills are limited.

ENJOY!!!

Last edited by SeanST150; 15th July 2018 at 21:12.

Great story and fantastic choice. I also chose a Grand Seiko instead of an AT for similar reasons, have had the GS for about six years now and it's still my favourite watch.

Great macro shots - may I ask what you used to achieve them?

- - - Updated - - -

Master
    Great story, great pics and great watch.

Congrats, that is a seriously good looking watch. Grand Seiko really have beautiful finishing, way above their price point. I'm very happy with mine and really like the under the radar WIS nature of these pieces. Have to admit I'm looking at adding another to the tribe.
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I own & enjoy Swiss brands, but Grand Seiko offer value, quality & honesty that embarrasses many of them. Considering the human, hand-crafted element is what supposedly differentiates the great from the merely good in horology (or at least is used as a cost justification), then the amount of effort put into standard Grand Seiko's retailing at under £2k RRP (with available discount) makes them an absolute steal by comparison.

Great journey and write up. Cracking images too - though I suspect you’re realising the big issue with GS: they just don’t photograph quite as amazingly as the way they come across in the metal :)

Craftsman
    That’s a really nice dial, i haven’t seen that finish before. I have had my GS ‘peacock’ for 6 months now and wear it every day to work as it’s ideal for an office and not blingy at all.

Good choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD GMT

Congrats. It's a beauty.

Love a GS GMT

Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers. I don't own a macro lens. I can't justify the cost. I use one of these reverse adaptor things.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F261450758409

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    they just don’t photograph quite as amazingly as the way they come across in the metal :)
    Correct, and that's perhaps, coupled with limited ADs is why you don't so many about.

The pictures on Seiko's own website are particularly bad.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Correct, and that's perhaps, coupled with limited ADs is why you don't so many about.

That’s spot on, I’ve stopped trying to get a pic of the dial in the sun as no matter how many attempts, a normal camera phone doesn’t seem to capture the texture properly

The only time I have seen it done justice is from a review by Hodinkee etc and they seem to nail the detail shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a beauty, Sean, and I admire you for your resolve. I'm sure that getting down to one watch is symbolic of a kind of spiritual simplicity that I clearly lack at present.

I have the last gen in white..love the 44GS case that you didn't mention.

Last edited by seikomatic; 16th July 2018 at 08:23.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That's a beauty, Sean, and I admire you for your resolve. I'm sure that getting down to one watch is symbolic of a kind of spiritual simplicity that I clearly lack at present.
    Thanks Tony. It was actually quite easy. Buy something you can't afford on a credit card that you have no means of repaying. Then panic sell the rest of your watches!! Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    You can't beat a blued hand on a white dial. That looks ace.

Thanks Tony. It was actually quite easy. Buy something you can't afford on a credit card that you have no means of repaying. Then panic sell the rest of your watches!! Simple.
    I like the cut of your jib!

I am also falling in love with Grand Seiko. I can’t afford a proper handmade watch from a one-man watchmaker, and probably never will. But GS, with their care, passion and very soft marketing, feels like the next best thing.

It may not be true, but it does seem like all your money goes on the watch and not the logo. It helps that I don’t see them sponsoring sporting events or constantly releasing “special editions” of a single model by changing the colours.

It’s a watch fan’s watch, rather than a brand fan’s watch. They’re beginning to occupy the same space as JLC in my psyche.

I just wish they’d do a 43mm Snowflake.
    Last edited by The_Perfect_Sandwich; 16th July 2018 at 11:14.

Very true

No macro shots, no views of casebacks or 360 rotations. It’s like looking on the Argos website.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    I am also falling in love with Grand Seiko. I can’t afford a proper handmade watch from a one-man watchmaker, and probably never will. But GS, with their care, passion and very soft marketing, feels like the next best thing.

It may not be true, but it does seem like all your money goes on the watch and not the logo. It helps that I don’t see them sponsoring sporting events or constantly releasing “special editions” of a single model by changing the colours.

It’s a watch fan’s watch, rather than a brand fan’s watch. They’re beginning to occupy the same space as JLC in my psyche.

I just wish they’d do a 43mm Snowflake.
    That's a really good way of describing the appeal of Grand Seiko.
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Master
    Another GS Hi-Beat GMT owner here, it's the closest I own to a dress watch. Mine came on the bracelet but looks good on leather too.

After owning a few Grand Seikos, it is my humble opinion that they need to address a few things before they can be considered truly rivals of the Rolexes of the world.

One weak link area is the bracelet and clasp. Not in the same league as the oyster bracelet/clasp combo. Lack of micro adjustment in a so called luxury timepiece is inexcusable

Heavy and thick steel cases. They also need to reduce the ligne of the Spring Drive movements.

Their titanium offerings are a bit weak, expensive and the tint they use in the proprietary titanium allow has a yellowish tint under certain light. Ask me how I know? I owned a titanium SBGA011 Snowflake.

Conservative style that is either a DJ, or Sub homage or watches that from a distance look very similar to the sub $500 Sarbs and Presages.

The Seiko name association doesn’t help them gain enough traction in the world of Jewelry where name and prestige are the order of the day. Whether you like it or not, Seiko is immediately associated with affordable cheap watches not with luxury timepieces. This is an aspect that even the Seiko group CEO has acknowledged. Buy a GS because you love watches and you want to impress yourself. Don’t expect anyone else salivating at your GS on your wrist. Some will recognize the intrinsic qualities of the watch, fit/finish, movement innovation but by far and large GS is not an aspirational brand outside of watch geeks in watch Internet forums like this one. It is a watch made for people that can see past Swiss made, labels and brand ambassadors. Unfortunately, GS admirers are part of an immense minority. Heck, even in its home market of Japan, most Japanese customers prefer to snap up a Rolex or Omega before they do a GS. It is what it is.

After sales service is hit and miss. Seiko regional offices outside of Japan still struggle to understand and meet the expectations of GS customers dropping off these watches for service and repair. They are a very long away far back from the Swiss in this area.

Very good watches no doubt, but I will happily wait a few more years before I revisit the brand.
    Last edited by Lostintime; 16th July 2018 at 16:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    After owning a few Grand Seikos, it is my humble opinion that they need to address a few things before they can be considered truly rivals of the Rolexes of the world.

One weak link area is the bracelet and clasp. Not in the same league as the oyster bracelet/clasp combo. Lack of micro adjustment in a so called luxury timepiece is inexcusable

Heavy and thick steel cases. They also need to reduce the ligne of the Spring Drive movements.

Their titanium offerings are a bit weak, expensive and the tint they use in the proprietary titanium allow has a yellowish tint under certain light. Ask me how I know? I owned a titanium SBGA011 Snowflake.

Conservative style that is either a DJ, or Sub homage or watches that from a distance look very similar to the sub $500 Sarbs and Presages from Seiko’s own budget prices lines. You could call this the “Argo’s”
    Effect.

The Seiko name association doesn’t help them gain enough traction in the world of Jewelry where name and prestige are the order of the day. Whether you like it or not, Seiko is immediately associated with affordable cheap watches not with luxury timepieces. This is an aspect that even the Seiko group CEO has acknowledged. Buy a GS because you love watches and you want to impress yourself. Don’t expect anyone else salivating at your GS on your wrist. Some will recognize the intrinsic qualities of the watch, fit/finish, movement innovation but by far and large GS is not an aspirational brand outside of watch geeks in watch Internet forums like this one. It is a watch made for people that can see past Swiss made, labels and brand ambassadors. Unfortunately, GS admirers are part of an immense minority. Heck, even in its home market of Japan, most Japanese customers prefer to snap up a Rolex or Omega before they do a GS. It is what it is.

After sales service is hit and miss. Seiko regional offices outside of Japan still struggle to understand and meet the expectations of GS customers dropping off these watches for service and repair. They are a very long away far back from the Swiss in this area.

Very good watches no doubt, but I will happily wait a few more years before I revisit the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    Another GS Hi-Beat GMT owner here, it's the closest I own to a dress watch. Mine came on the bracelet but looks good on leather too.

It looks great on the strap. Is that an official clasp?

Journeyman
    Nicely written mate. Of course I already knew all this having been offered most of the collection!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post

That is stunning alphajet. I've brought myself so very close to picking this model up despite already owning a Snowflake.
    I really like the aesthetics of the SBGJ001 and whilst in NYC last October, I shuffled along to the GS boutique and tried one on. I was a little surprised and dare I say disappointed at the thickness of it sadly.
    I know it's only around 1.5mm but I could definitely appreciate the difference.
    It still is a hugely attractive GS though and it hasn't dropped from my radar. It's now a case of waiting until the correctly priced pre-owned piece comes along before I spring for one.
    It looks excellent on the strap you show also.

Wanna sell ???

Quote Originally Posted by DazBock View Post
    Nicely written mate. Of course I already knew all this having been offered most of the collection!

And to think, you missed out on soo many bargains!

Journeyman
    And to think, you missed out on soo many bargains!
    I did indeed but I’d exhausted my budget for the month/year!

Master
    It looks great on the strap. Is that an official clasp?
    It's a GS clasp I got from Seiya Japan and the strap is Hirsh alligator.

And no the watch is not for sale.

Having seen this particular watch up close I get Grand Seiko. The finishing is superb. Having seen you go through with the purchase and then click into gear with all the selling I suspect this is a keeper. Enjoy mate

Journeyman
    Congradulations with your purchase. it would be interesting to hear fromyou after the honeymoon period is over.