closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which colour wheels?

Which colour wheels?

I'm replacing the tyres on my 911, going from the stock Pirelli P Zeros (which I don't find too confidence inspiring in the wet) to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's.

Whilst this is being done I thought it would be an ideal opportunity to get the wheels refinished as there's one or two marks on them. All quite straightforward so far. This is how the existing 19" Porsche "sport design" wheels look in silver.

I thought it would be a nice simple job to get them refinished in the same colour. I've changed the wheels over to a set with winter tyres fitted (this is the first time I've had them on the car) so I can take the sport designs and new tyres to the refinishers tomorrow. The winter set are Porsche 5 spokes refinished in graphite grey.

I'm now wondering if the 15 spoke sport designs would look better refinished in graphite grey rather than the original silver. I do like the original silver and if it didn't show the brake dust so readily there'd be no contest. The thing is now the graphite set are fitted I'm thinking the colour does look quite striking, and of course it's a far better colour to hide any brake dust.

I genuinely can't decide which way to go and if I can't by the time I get to the refinishers tomorrow I'll stick with the silver.

I thought I'd definitely get a range of opinions here so what does the membership think, grey or silver 15 spoke Porsche sport designs?

I'd go with the silver, or if you want something different, maybe a slightly darker silver, but not as dark as your winter set

Just doing a quick search for images!...this might help, or confuse!?....

Last edited by wadsy; 15th July 2018 at 14:50.

Painted in GT Silver would be my vote.

I had black OEM wheels on my GTS and it looked aggressive but that was because the car was Basalt Black, so it worked cohesively. Personally, I am less convinced by black wheels on Cobalt and other blue variants.

Definitely silver, the darker wheels look dated.

Silver, definitely. Just keep them clean.

Definitely silver. If you have the wheels treated after they have been painted they will be much easier to clean. If you are using Lepsons KDS are opposite them so can treat them before they come back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Paint them white and pretend it's an NSX.

I'd paint them the colour of a 6309-7040 case.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Silver is so boring, for everything!
    Gunmetal are great.

Craftsman
    Silver works better with more spokes.

Apprentice
    Silver spoke for me

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Master
    Hi Duncan. As you will see from the pic below, I had a almost identical dilemma to you with my 997 which appears to be in the same Cobalt blue. Mine came on black aftermarket Fuchs reps which I can't say I liked at all and realised had to go. I actually tried sourcing a set of Sport Design wheels but in conversation with the previous owner it transpired he had the original 19" wheels in storage and was happy to swap. Hence it now wears the Lobster Claws which I like nearly as much as yours. Long story short, I think 997s look terrible on anything but silver alloys. Don't mess with those lovely Sport Design wheels.

As it came:

Now on silver Lobster Claws:
    Last edited by Padders; 15th July 2018 at 15:12.

I’d definitely keep the silver ones silver. I’d probably say the grey would look better in silver (and white isn’t such a bad idea), but having a totally different colour and look when the seasons change is actually pretty cool, so I’d leave all as it is!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stick with silver and ask for them to be ceramic coated ( around £30-40 per wheel), the brake dust will not stick then and the wheels just need jetting off with soap and water.... same applies if you had the whole car ceramic coated but that would cost hundreds.

Journeyman
    Silver with that blue works best I think. Have never been a fan of black alloys, but I think the earlier suggestion of white could work albeit a PITA to keep clean - and only with the addition of a white door decal.

As an additional thought I have mine black (graphite) on the inside and the outside chrome silver - looks a bit different and adds depth.

Master
    I have a similar colour 991 and looked at quite a lot of cars with differing wheels. For me, the silver looks best and I like the grey too, but black wheels with this colour I think doesn’t really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I'm now wondering if the 15 spoke sport designs would look better refinished in graphite grey rather than the original silver. I do like the original silver and if it didn't show the brake dust so readily there'd be no contest. The thing is now the graphite set are fitted I'm thinking the colour does look quite striking, and of course it's a far better colour to hide any brake dust.

I genuinely can't decide which way to go and if I can't by the time I get to the refinishers tomorrow I'll stick with the silver.

I thought I'd definitely get a range of opinions here so what does the membership think, grey or silver 15 spoke Porsche sport designs?
    Does this help you?

EDIT: I picked my own shade of graphite there.. lighter than your graphites above - too dark = too close to the dark blue. Go lighter IMO. I have this image saved here and easily updated if you want me to try darker/lighter. Just ask.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 15th July 2018 at 16:49.

Craftsman
    I prefer the darker paint to the silver but to my eyes, the graphite looks almost black. If you could get a darker shade of silver, but not as dark as the graphite, I think it would look great.

Silver

The extra spokes look lost in black

Craftsman
    GT Silver or Seal Grey

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

This

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps which pretty much enforce what I should have known all along, keep the wheels silver.

Also thanks for the shopping of the photo with the silver wheels JohnnyE, if I knew how to do that it would have helped me earlier!

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps which pretty much enforce what I should have known all along, keep the wheels silver.

Also thanks for the shopping of the photo with the silver wheels JohnnyE, if I knew how to do that it would have helped me earlier!

Personally I would run the black 5 spokes but I think the 15 spoke silvers are a close second.

Most importantly your choice of new tyre is good!

No worries... you caught me bored on a Sunday afternoon and I enjoy photoshopping the likes of this. I went on to send you down to Halfords for a tin of white paint and some go faster stripes. You can assume theres an "I've been to the ring" sticker on the boot now

Grand Master
    Stick with silver, black or grey alloy wheels look horrible on any vehicle. Despite th current fashion I think they look crap, why spoil the look of your Porsche by following this tacky trend?

Paul

Journeyman
    Definitely not black. Gunmental/Anthracite could look nice but inclined to stay stick with silver.

Craftsman
    Stick with silver, but keep them clean.

...oh...and sell them and buy some lobster claws :)

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post

Yours has the lobster claws I take it?

They're at the refinishers now and they're staying silver, I don't know what I was thinking (although the five spokes look good in that dark graphite grey)!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Dark orange or light green, both dayglow and slap a large anime vinyl decal in the same colour over the car. It would make it fun instead of desk driver.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post

Not sure about that! Much as I love my 997, I can't honestly say mine with the Lobster Claws look better than Duncans with Sport Designs in the pics above...
    Last edited by Padders; 17th July 2018 at 08:22.

Silver.

Anything else is Chavtastic.

Journeyman
    silver looks the part- especially with those spokes

All done now. The tyres arrived last week and it all went off to the refinishers on Monday.

Collected them today and they look great with the Michelins fitted and no marks

Removed the winters and refitted the sport designs, I also fitted new bolts all round.

The winters can go back into storage.

Thanks to everyone for talking me out of graphite grey for the sport designs

Journeyman
    Looks superb

Spot on choices there all round; Silver & Michelins, two big ticks, well done.