closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Brietling Colt GMT A32350 - worn dial?

Journeyman

Brietling Colt GMT A32350 - worn dial?

Hi guys, a friend of mine has one of these which he picked up at auction, overall I'm decent condition but there are marks on the dial (see pic for example). It got me thinking- what could be the cause of this (given nothing should be coming into contact with the dial and the watch should be effectively hermetically sealed most of the time) and should this be of concern to him?

I've read you can get the dial restored fairly easily, but wondered if it perhaps indicated something more sinister...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I owned the off white version of this watch a few years ago and as this is rated 500m, this should not be happening.

Also possibly the photo but the dial should not be smooth but have a concentric pattern which mine from 2005 had.

Journeyman
    Thanks, it does have the concentric pattern (not the best picture) but I must admit I was a bit concerned when I saw the marks! I've never seen a watch younger than 30 years old with that level of discoloration on the face (certainly not one rated at 500m), and it's only 10 years old...

Blog Entries
    Oh dear. Looks like water ingress (maybe). Anyway if your friend sends it off to Breitling I am sure it will come back perfect - but be prepared for a large bill - perhaps £1000 as it will need a new dial at least - maybe more once they open it up. I hope your friend did not pay too much. Personally I’d send it back if from eBay
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th July 2018 at 08:19.

I'm sorry, but I would not describe that as being "in decent condition". I suspect as Martyn says that it's had water ingress and been left untouched - my suspicion would be that if the dial looks like that, then opening up the back is not going to be a joyful experience.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think your friend may have been a little hasty in buying it...

Simon

Master
    There could be an expensive service on the horizon...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I'm sorry, but I would not describe that as being "in decent condition". I suspect as Martyn says that it's had water ingress and been left untouched - my suspicion would be that if the dial looks like that, then opening up the back is not going to be a joyful experience.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think your friend may have been a little hasty in buying it...

Simon
    Thanks guys, and I meant decent condition apart from the (major) flawed dial as the case was a little grubby but not heavily scratched.

It wasn't eBay and he bought it against my advice knowing about the marks on the dial! But no was a steal at the price he paid; time will tell who was truly stealing from whom once he's had his bill back...

There's usually a reason in demand watches are sold cheaply!