closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Booking.com customer service

Master

Booking.com customer service

Back in June I booked some accommodation in Sheffield through Booking.com. At check-in I was asked to pay a £25 damage deposit, which I did.

It's now been 3 weeks since then and my deposit hasn't been returned, the property isn't answering my emails (3 emails sent so far that I know got through fine) and neither does Booking.com

It's not just the £25 that's pissing me off, it's mostly the fact that they are ignoring me. What can I do to get my money back? Would a chargeback (I paid on a credit card) be valid in this situation?

By the way, just to add to the infinite pool of wisdom that is TZ, the property in question is Harley Apartment Lets (which also run the Harley Hotel). If by any chance you ever need accommodation in Sheffield, I would steer clear away from them

Master
    Personally I’d give it five weeks. Not because I think you should have to wait that long but my thought is you can evidence the communication from your side.

Allow 28 days for the accommodations to advise you of ‘any’ damage requiring the deposit to be kept and a weeks grace. At five weeks contact the cc company explain you have contacted them multiple times and they have not responded and ask for a charge back.

The aim is to stop the accommodation folk from ‘discovering’ the communication about the ‘damage’ hadn’t been sent...

Have you submitted a Booking.com review yet? If not, maybe tell the property manager that you are waiting for your refund before leaving one, but can’t wait forever...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Personally I’d give it five weeks. Not because I think you should have to wait that long but my thought is you can evidence the communication from your side.

Allow 28 days for the accommodations to advise you of ‘any’ damage requiring the deposit to be kept and a weeks grace. At five weeks contact the cc company explain you have contacted them multiple times and they have not responded and ask for a charge back.

The aim is to stop the accommodation folk from ‘discovering’ the communication about the ‘damage’ hadn’t been sent...
    The only 'damage' they could 'discover' would be that the smoke alarm was disconnected : on the second night the smoke alarm started beeping as it was running out of batteries, so I called the emergency number I had been given at check-in and a guy showed up. His solution? To rip it out of the ceiling : I don't know much about building regulations and such, but I would think that was a bad move in itself

But, as I said, there has been no communication from the property or response to my emails so I'm not even sure if they know about the alarm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Have you submitted a Booking.com review yet? If not, maybe tell the property manager that you are waiting for your refund before leaving one, but can’t wait forever...
    Not yet and I would if they bothered to answer me

Blog Entries
    Get it on Twitter.... usually wakes people up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Back in June I booked some accommodation in Sheffield through Booking.com. At check-in I was asked to pay a £25 damage deposit, which I did.

It's now been 3 weeks since then and my deposit hasn't been returned, the property isn't answering my emails (3 emails sent so far that I know got through fine) and neither does Booking.com

It's not just the £25 that's pissing me off, it's mostly the fact that they are ignoring me. What can I do to get my money back? Would a chargeback (I paid on a credit card) be valid in this situation?

By the way, just to add to the infinite pool of wisdom that is TZ, the property in question is Harley Apartment Lets (which also run the Harley Hotel). If by any chance you ever need accommodation in Sheffield, I would steer clear away from them
    To suggest the obvious, phone the property...emails are so easy to ignore.

Master
    The only 'damage' they could 'discover' would be that the smoke alarm was disconnected : on the second night the smoke alarm started beeping as it was running out of batteries, so I called the emergency number I had been given at check-in and a guy showed up. His solution? To rip it out of the ceiling : I don't know much about building regulations and such, but I would think that was a bad move in itself

But, as I said, there has been no communication from the property or response to my emails so I'm not even sure if they know about the alarm

- - - Updated - - -

Not yet and I would if they bothered to answer me

Sorry I wasn’t suggesting there was any, just suggesting how you might approach it to prevent them from claiming there was to retain the deposit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    To suggest the obvious, phone the property...emails are so easy to ignore.
    Turns out phonecalls are just as easy to ignore.. the bar stewards aren't answering my calls either. No matter, I'm back in Sheffield in a few weeks (obviously not staying with them again). Let's see if they can also ignore me in person

Master
    Is there a letter box?

I was overcharged after a one night stay in a hotel where a deposit was taken (but not cancelled upon checkout) and the full balance charged again upon checkout. I did not check my receipt as I wanted to get to the airport for my flight home. When I arrived home I realised and emailed the hotel and no one seemed to understand or know what to do. I emailed my credit company and then informed the hotel they will be contacted by the credit card company as I am disputing the charge as fraudulent. Suddenly the hotel staff understood and addressed the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Get it on Twitter.... usually wakes people up
    Sad but true. The amount of shite we've had to deal with trying to sort out stuff regarding my father-in-law's credit cards and loans, plus British Gas, since he died suddenly and you get fobbed off. One tweet and all of a sudden you have people falling over themselves to help...or at the very least not ignore.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I was overcharged after a one night stay in a hotel where a deposit was taken (but not cancelled upon checkout) and the full balance charged again upon checkout. I did not check my receipt as I wanted to get to the airport for my flight home. When I arrived home I realised and emailed the hotel and no one seemed to understand or know what to do. I emailed my credit company and then informed the hotel they will be contacted by the credit card company as I am disputing the charge as fraudulent. Suddenly the hotel staff understood and addressed the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    Sad but true. The amount of shite we've had to deal with trying to sort out stuff regarding my father-in-law's credit cards and loans, plus British Gas, since he died suddenly and you get fobbed off. One tweet and all of a sudden you have people falling over themselves to help...or at the very least not ignore.
    It's incredibly sad that you have to resort to threats for a business to stop ignoring you but it worked :

I have emailed them again today evidencing the times I have tried contacting them and telling them that I don't have any more time or patience to keep chasing them for £25, so I would just get the credit card company on the case and also write a review that reflects the way that I am being treated.

I had a reply within 10 minutes and they are sending me a cheque.
    Last edited by asteclaru; 18th July 2018 at 15:54.

I charged my bank £25 for making an error and £25 as my admin charge for writing to them, in addition to the amount that they overcharged me. They paid up.

Master
    I charged my bank £25 for making an error and £25 as my admin charge for writing to them, in addition to the amount that they overcharged me. They paid up.
    The reply was from the hotel; that I would get my bank on case was written in the email I've sent them today. That seemed to get things moving

Master
    It's incredibly sad that you have to resort to threats for a business to stop ignoring you but it worked :

I have emailed them again today evidencing the times I have tried contacting them and telling them that I don't have any more time or patience to keep chasing them for £25, so I would just get the credit card company on the case and also write a review that reflects the way that I am being treated.

Sad you have to resort to that, but good to hear that you got it resolved in the end.

Master
    That's great! Love it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk