closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont - Wright Flyer

Blog Entries

Bremont - Wright Flyer

Saw this one today. I have to admit it looks rather special. And the rotor contains a piece of the Wright Brothers plane cloth materiel which makes to rather special.. The case is made in the UK (Henley) with a base ETA movement but then it is modified heavily to make a rather pleasant movement. This model is designed with a small-seconds display and no date - I found it pleasing to the eye. Large crown and leather strap finishes this limited to 300 watches (they have about 60 left)

and the display back:

Something a bit different. Price - a cool £17K in steel, £23K in platinum.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th July 2018 at 23:30.

Master
    I think this is an unusual watch for me in that I prefer the back to the front!

Bremont do some nice case backs, so not surprising. I like the way they’ve moved manufacture/assembly to the UK as well.

Sorry to be a pedant too, but It’s Wright flyer by the way!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I think this is an unusual watch for me in that I prefer the back to the front!

Bremont do some nice case backs, so not surprising. I like the way they’ve moved manufacture/assembly to the UK as well.

Sorry to be a pedant too, but It’s Wright flyer by the way!
    Fixed the 'spell-checker' mistake - thanks for pointing that out!!

Master
    Very nice! This was the first Bremont with the la Joux Perret movement. The press release claimed it was in house, quickly shot down and soon apologised for.

Dave

Master
    Yeah, this was the watch that got Bremont most of its bad press. They handled the issue of the movement not being completely in-house very badly and got thoroughly spanked for it!

Chisolm Hunter have had a few in windows...

Nice piece, I considered it, but resale might be painful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Yeah, this was the watch that got Bremont most of its bad press. They handled the issue of the movement not being completely in-house very badly and got thoroughly spanked for it!

Chisolm Hunter have had a few in windows...

Nice piece, I considered it, but resale might be painful.
    Shame it got marred with the bad press in a way, it's a nice looking Watch.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Shame it got marred with the bad press in a way, it's a nice looking Watch.
    Without fully taking the lid off the can of worms debate, Bremont a tried to pull the wool over the eyes of the WIS public so hardly a shame, more a complete sham

Sorry.....I feel much better now......

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    .... with a base ETA movement
    Not ETA, I believe La Joux-Perret designed/made the movements

Master
    Blog Entries
    They are lovely in the metal and residuals are decent. At that price point though my money would be elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Without fully taking the lid off the can of worms debate, Bremont a tried to pull the wool over the eyes of the WIS public so hardly a shame, more a complete sham

I have to agree. And the brands gimmicks really don't do it for me. A bit of cloth in a steel watch doesn't make it 17k' s worth of watch...
    Last edited by Umbongo; 15th July 2018 at 15:08.

Ignoring all the movement controversy I really like this watch and think it is a really well designed piece, especially with me being a Wright! A consultant at work had the rose gold model with white dial which was nice. I questioned him on it but he didn’t know much about it as his wife had brought it for him as a present. A nice wife to splash out £23k for a watch!

I would own one but the 17k price is a joke and too close to some serious high end watches. This is why I believe they are still available even though it is a small edition of 300 pieces released 4 years ago! Bremont special editions usually do OK residual wise the Spitfire, P51 etc but this was priced too high in my opinion and will only lose a substantial amount. Second hand I have seen them around the £12k mark so a £5k hit hurts!

They have one at WOS in Heathrow T5 at around £14k but it has clearly been tried on numerous times and has many scratches on the polished case. It is more like a second hand watch now!

If I was to buy ‘new’ I would want a serious discount down to £10-12k minimum and a free service as the watch would be 4 years old and never properly run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    As far as ETA movement - sorry for the ‘fake news’ , just passing on what I was told at the recent airshow at the Bremont stand.

As far as ETA movement - sorry for the ‘fake news’ , just passing on what I was told at the recent airshow at the Bremont stand.
    So, they're still at it then ? The Walter Mitty Watch Company.......

Blog Entries
    So, they're still at it then ? The Walter Mitty Watch Company.......
    Actually - I was impressed by the brand - not many watches made in the UK and I know Henley quite well so may see if I can pop in to their premises. It must be difficult to start up a watch company these days - so good luck to them!

Master

Reggie, if that's the case and I'm sure it is, I fully agree with you.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Reggie, if that's the case and I'm sure it is, I fully agree with you.
    You must search for the thread, get comfy and give it an eyeball full. It really is a cracking good read, unverifiable faux histoire, plums jammed firmly in mouths, sickly mardy smiles.
    They've not messed about with the marketing, I'll give them that, them public school boys, that's for sure....
    Charles Ponzi ain't got nothin' on these boys....
    Last edited by reggie747; 15th July 2018 at 18:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You must search for the thread, get comfy and give it any eyeball full. It really is a cracking good read, unverifiable faux histoire, plums jammed firmly in mouths. sickly mardy smiles.
    They've not messed about with the marketing, I'll give them that, them public school boys, that's for sure....
    Always wondered if Antoine Bremont was real?

Master
    You must search for the thread, get comfy and give it any eyeball full. It really is a cracking good read, unverifiable faux histoire, plums jammed firmly in mouths. sickly mardy smiles.
    There's no excuse for misleading folk in that way, I suppose there's marketing and darn right misleading people into thinking they are buying something they are not.

I just liked the look of that particular model, I don't know much about the brand and hadn't heard of this controversy, it won't do this new brand much good eh?

...I just liked the look of that particular model, I don't know much about the brand and hadn't heard of this controversy, it won't do this new brand much good eh?...
    Bremont started in 2002; hardly a new company.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Bremont started in 2002; hardly a new company.
    In the grand scheme of things it is.

...It must be difficult to start up a watch company these days - so good luck to them!
    I'd say just the opposite - 10 minutes scrolling through the microbrand group on Facebook will show just how many hundreds of people have managed to start up a watch company. I reckon putting a mechanical movement into a steel case is probably not that difficult with a bit of effort, the hard part is builing up enough of a bullshit backstory so you can bang 'em out at five grand a pop and not five hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I'd say just the opposite - 10 minutes scrolling through the microbrand group on Facebook will show just how many hundreds of people have managed to start up a watch company. I reckon putting a mechanical movement into a steel case is probably not that difficult with a bit of effort, the hard part is builing up enough of a bullshit backstory so you can bang 'em out at five grand a pop and not five hundred.
    It's is most certainly not easy to start and retain it. ( especially when you fund it yourself! ).

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    The English brothers have always struck me as possessing an oleaginous charm. Like their watches, I just don't buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    The English brothers have always struck me as possessing an oleaginous charm. Like their watches, I just don't buy them.
    I must try and use that word sometime this week somewhere, I do like its meaning once Google had helped me out .

Craftsman
    I find it amazing the number of people who don’t like Bremont, but love to comment on Bremont...incredible.

I don’t like Rolex, as if I have £10k in my pocket, why do I have to wait 2 years and have my papers retained

But Bremont are the shysters........

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    I find it amazing the number of people who don’t like Bremont, but love to comment on Bremont...incredible.

I don’t like Rolex, as if I have £10k in my pocket, why do I have to wait 2 years and have my papers retained

But Bremont are the shysters........
    So, which one are you going to choose then or you just commenting too ??
    This is a discussion forum after all...

Craftsman
    I’m just commenting, but I bought a Bremont as I didn’t want to wait 2 years for a Rolex

I’m just commenting, but I bought a Bremont as I didn’t want to wait 2 years for a Rolex

You have my condolences.

[QUOTE=peterdo;4826393]I’m just commenting, but I bought a Bremont as I didn’t want to wait 2 years for a Rolex
    Pics or it didn't happen

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    You have my condolences.
    I neither need your condolences or arrogance, you can keep that all to yourself

I neither need your condolences or arrogance, you can keep that all to yourself

Now, now. No need to get shirty, we're all allowed an opinion

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=reggie747;4826396]
    Pics or it didn't happen
    It would appear school is out for summer, quick, get back to your game of Fortnite

Craftsman
    Now, now. No need to get shirty, we're all allowed an opinion
    He didn’t provide an opinion

[QUOTE=peterdo;4826399]

It would appear school is out for summer, quick, get back to your game of Fortnite

- - - Updated - - -

Are you on a post count high roll or what man ??

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=reggie747;4826401]

- - - Updated - - -

Are you on a post count high roll or what man ??
    Am I not allowed an opinion?!

Looks like you’ve got 3700 posts wandering around the forum looking for an argument about Bremont...

[QUOTE=peterdo;4826407]

Am I not allowed an opinion?!

Looks like you’ve got 3700 posts wandering around the forum looking for an argument about Bremont...
    You didn't opine, you bitched.

Give a rest, wee man, you're doing your reputation no favours at all...

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=reggie747;4826412]

Give a rest, wee man, you're doing your reputation no favours at all...
    It’s an online forum, you don’t have a reputation, you’re an avatar on an anonymous basis...how sad are you, honestly

Is there a block button on here, as you’re a prime candidate

Yes you can block everyone but Eddie. I will do that with you just after this message.
    But for your information there is such a thing as reputation : you see, we buy expensive things from each other. So the reputation you build is important.
    For example I would have no problem in buying from reggie...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Yes you can block everyone but Eddie. I will do that with you just after this message.
    But for your information there is such a thing as reputation : you see, we buy expensive things from each other. So the reputation you build is important.
    For example I would have no problem in buying from reggie...
    It’s a leap of faith to be buying and selling expensive goods on a web forum, I’m not comfortable with that dynamic so buy from ADs. That said, I understand your point, if you are in SC buying and selling.

I might stay as a viewer on this forum based on the reaction of being blocked for debating with one of your pals...Jesus wept...it’s like being back at school!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not as bad as the millions of Rolex threads mind!

On topic: I was really miffed about the 'in-house' debacle, and I understand how it turned people off the brand. I'm also not a fan of LE watches that demand a premium because of some historic artefact being trapped in the case. Still, I did buy a Bremont because A) I think it's rare these days to see a relatively new brand come up with a truly distinctive style and B) the quality of their watches is, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic. So on balance I forgive them their marketing misstep, stupid as it may have been.

It’s a leap of faith to be buying and selling expensive goods on a web forum, I’m not comfortable with that dynamic so buy from ADs. That said, I understand your point, if you are in SC buying and selling.

I might stay as a viewer on this forum based on the reaction of being blocked for debating with one of your pals...Jesus wept...it’s like being back at school!

You started it

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    A brand that seems to have a black and white divide of opinion. I have two Bremont’s, my MB3 is my go to watch for general duties, holidays etc. The case design is very well thought out and a breath of fresh air in the modern age of watch making. On the LE front, people still buy omega's and they are the master on the perpetual LE. No one seems to mention the fact that Bremont donate some of the proceeds of the LE's to charity( air ambulance for example for the DH88), and Bremonts are still made in relatively small numbers, not 2000 piece runs.

If you haven’t tried a Bremont in the metal, you really should go and have a closer look at one.

Let’s give a British company a bit of backing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    You and many others.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    You and many others.
    It would be a strange thing to make up though. I don’t think the Bremont name is in keeping with the British element of the brand imho.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    It would be a strange thing to make up though. I don’t think the Bremont name is in keeping with the British element of the brand imho.
    They've been under the microscope, though. Surprised no-one tracked him down.

Master
    While I brought up the “in house” snafu, I have been a happy owner of a Bremont for many years. I would like to visit their Henley workshops one day.

Dave

Master
    I owned a Supermarine 300 and it was a really good watch; well made, good looking and as accurate as my Rolex. Pity about some of the marketing but I'd say they make good stuff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    While I brought up the “in house” snafu, I have been a happy owner of a Bremont for many years. I would like to visit their Henley workshops one day.

Dave
    Whilst I like some of their designs and being a bit of an aviation fan, learning that has put me off the brand.

It's not what I would expect from a Watch company selling Watches of this price tag.

Just my opinion.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    You started it

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app
    You nearly had me there!!