closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Girard Perregaux - Laureato - views

Master

Girard Perregaux - Laureato - views

My watch research and journey continues. These watches look really nice. They seem good value, well made, well designed, good materials etc.

What’s the catch here? I can see the ‘it’s a knock off’ debate with AP.

Stuart

I really liked it, when I tried it on. Excellent bracelet and the the case and dial are sufficiently different from “similar” watches.

Couldn’t quite bring myself to buying it though.

Master
    What stopped you chap?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    What stopped you chap?
    Sadly a predictable answer! Whilst I liked it, I would prefer to buy a RO 15450.

However to me the bracelet on the GP seemed more comfortable. So far I have bought neither.

However perhaps the real reason (even though I hesitate to mention it), is the prospect of too much of a bath if I moved it on. Rather sad really, as I have always tended to just buy what I like and think about the consequences when the time came.

Master
    I would consider the 38mm model, probably preowned though.

Dave

Craftsman
    Handled one late last year at the boutique in MBS and as much as I liked the watch it was always in my mind that I'd be better off looking at used or a grey dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    you want to buy the AP 15450.. then either buy it or buy nothing. Why compromise? you will spend 5-6+ GBP and you will remain unhappy.

Master
    I really like this and already own a GP so know about the quality or the brand and have considered it.

I think most people will worry about the residuals as I believe the back end doesn’t look good. That said, if you can get it for the right price? What sort of discount can you get a new or used one for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I can see the ‘it’s a knock off’ debate with AP.
    The Laureato debuted in quartz only a few years after the launch of the AP RO, so it’s had decades of existence in its own right, but I agree with you that it’s extremely likely GP took ‘inspiration’ from the highly-successful RO, and design developments in later years to broaden the bezel have done little to distinguish the two.

I’ve never tried one, but I quite like them, especially the 38mm size and the fact they are lesser-seen. They are a bit muddled as both a design and a Brand though, and buying second-hand or with large discount would be advised.

I agree though that if what you really want is a RO, then you’re better off not wasting time & money on the Laureato, nice though it is.

They have a couple at Geneva airport if anyone is travelling. They looked quite nice but the bolt looking case is even more obvious in real life than the photos may suggest.

Usual grey market places suggest that a reasonable discount can be easily found.

The huge 'GP' logo at 12 is enough for me to hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The huge 'GP' logo at 12 is enough for me to hate it.
    I didn’t really find it too much of an issue when I saw it it was more of the case shape, the blue dial one was the larger case one they had they also had a smaller one.

In the same place they also had the Piaget Polo S which did look ok but I think would probably be better on a leather strap than a bracelet.

Master
    I keep trying to like this one as the 38mm is perfectly sized for me and it has a lot of the right ingredients. A well priced (discounted) 38mm integrated bracelet sports watch should be a welcome alternative to the usual suspects, and it even has some heritage. And yet, I’ve never managed to look at one and think, ‘Wow!’ I keep hoping it will happen but it doesn't. The all black one is kind of cool though.