closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the worst job you ever had ???

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Less than you would think. The likes of us were generally dealing with trays of packs of QC’d pictures. Quality Control was a highly skilled and sought after job. You got to sit down and scroll through big drums of pictures, with different stickers to mark up any anomolies - over exposed, out of focus, dodgy etc. Every now and then a few of them would gather round one machine, but I would have probably been stabbed if I’d gone to look. There were rumours of a stash in the managers office.

I did spend a week in the post room, where about 30 women opened all the envelopes with the undeveloped films in and I went round emptying bins and bringing in more envelopes. 30 women with broad imaginations and a robust sense of humour can be very cruel to a young lad...

Would have made a good Charles Dickens. Title suggestions welcome
    The Prints and the Pauper?

Master
    Night shifts at McDonalds.

You would work at grill and everywhere else from 10pm to midnight and then clean all the facility from midnight to 5am to have it clean and crispy for the morning crew.

At 11 you start cleaning the deep fry station. Usually there are 3 or 5 or 7 Deep fry units. You clean one by one, while the others are still running and full of potatoes and what ever is in it in hot oil.

Bin is rinsed, oil is filtered, bin is cleaned by hand and then filled back with hot oil while it is still turned on. You have 15 minutes per bin. Once one is clean, you go to another one.

Offcourse you get your hand burned.

Grills are also cleaned while still hot.

And then you clean all the floors in the kitchen, and then the restaurant.

I have worked that way over a year, while also working a day job from 9-5.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Night shifts at McDonalds.

You would work at grill and everywhere else from 10pm to midnight and then clean all the facility from midnight to 5am to have it clean and crispy for the morning crew.

At 11 you start cleaning the deep fry station. Usually there are 3 or 5 or 7 Deep fry units. You clean one by one, while the others are still running and full of potatoes and what ever is in it in hot oil.

Bin is rinsed, oil is filtered, bin is cleaned by hand and then filled back with hot oil while it is still turned on. You have 15 minutes per bin. Once one is clean, you go to another one.

Offcourse you get your hand burned.

Grills are also cleaned while still hot.

And then you clean all the floors in the kitchen, and then the restaurant.

I have worked that way over a year, while also working a day job from 9-5.
    This sounds really rough. When do you sleep?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    This sounds really rough. When do you sleep?
    From 6-8 and from 6-9 at evening.

I was 20 something, I could have managed it then.

Untill I had break down after a year.

Just saw this which must be up there (I'm lucky though, never really had a bad job).

party host at a kids indoor play centre. horrendous looking back especially as I was hungover with little sleep on most shifts

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    The Prints and the Pauper?
    If I could have sent my estranged twin I definitely would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Just saw this which must be up there (I'm lucky though, never really had a bad job).

Uncanny resemblance ....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I did that job! For 2 hours anyway.... a try out at a biscuit factory for a student summer job. Never went back and, yes, that was the worse job I ever had.
    Hmmmmmmm. I'm not counting this one. Factories have their perks.
    I spent about 8 years at a pizza factory (through college then a good while afterwards instead of arsing about with uni).
    Crap work but decent pay, and factories are always packed with really naughty women. Haha. These days they are all polish and Romanian of course but 15 years ago I think i worked my way through half of the surrounding towns.

It helped that I was in the warehouse... better uniform, got to play with Tonka toys all day and of course women loved the Orange hard-hat ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stinkiest job was collecting 30,000eggs a day at the age of 14-17.

Not my worst job exactly but true story, that I thought I would share:

I was still in school and 16 years old, working as a KP (dish washer), at a restaurant in the local town. After service, we would go down to the bar for a couple elephant beers and debrief, then I'd go back up to mop the floor which was my last job.....

Little did I know that when I renetered the kitchen I had the mother of all surprises. There was my boss, balls deep, pounding the living daylights out of my form tutor & maths teachers' wife!

Back to school on Monday, I couldn't look him in the face, poor bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Not my worst job exactly but true story, that I thought I would share:

I was still in school and 16 years old, working as a KP (dish washer), at a restaurant in the local town. After service, we would go down to the bar for a couple elephant beers and debrief, then I'd go back up to mop the floor which was my last job.....

Little did I know that when I renetered the kitchen I had the mother of all surprises. There was my boss, balls deep, pounding the living daylights out of my form tutor & maths teachers' wife!

Back to school on Monday, I couldn't look him in the face, poor bugger.
    Needless to say, the floor stayed dirty that evening.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Needless to say, the floor stayed dirty that evening.
    Saved you a job…. Every cloud

And what had made the floor so dirty???

Back in the 70s....I worked as a trainee "plater".

it involved working with pot ash, cyanide, acid tanks etc etc.

I doubt, the same working practices, in use then, would be in any way "Health and Safety proof"! today.

Luckily, I only did if for a few months...I can still taste to this day...the "taste" of acid in my mouth....disgusting job!