closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Snowflake Sub

Journeyman

Tudor Snowflake Sub

To celebrate a milestone, I'm thinking of getting a snowflake Tudor sub. I've always loved the blue dials when the lume has gotten to that creamy colour and with that in mind have a couple of questions.

First off, I've only started researching these seriously with a view to purchase, so if anyone knows of any particular pitfalls or things to look out for with this watch, I'd love to hear them. I've checked out a few of the more easily searchable sites, but if anyone has any good recommendations, that would be great too.

Regarding the lume - I've seen a couple with the lume at the colour I love, but also a few that have stayed pretty white (which seem to be a bit cheaper). Are these ones likely to darken over time, or will they stay as is, considering they're already 40 odd years old and more. Might this also be a warning sign of a redial/relume and service hands, or is that something that happens with tritium lume? Is there any way to tell?

Thanks!

Will watch this thread with interest

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

They are as much of a minefield as a vintage Rolex Sub so you really need to do you homework.
    Have you decided on a reference number you want in particular or just a blue Tudor sub?

Whiter hands and dial plots tend to indicate service parts - Although not all the time. Tritium has not been used on watch dials in this way for 20 years so they should all develop a creamy patina over time, but as each watch is unique so there is not guaranteed way to tell how the plots will develop with time.

Because of the dial rot issues a lot of them have be refinished (some good some, not so good).
    If you look on chrono24 you will see some awful examples.
    A good site to check is https://tudorcollector.com/subs/ it's written by a guy who frequents this forum from time to time.
    I would use a well known dealer to source one if it were me.

I started a thread on these last year as I was looking,there were a couple on chrono 24 ,1 in Germany and 1 in Italy ,both looked good but when I did a bit more digging they weren’t what they seemed,good luck with the search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies. Will have to dig in and start learning as I was hoping these might be less a minefield than vintage Rolex subs.

To the previous poster - did you get one in the end? What issues did you encounter with the other ones?

I was thinking the 9401/9411 or 94010/94110. At this point I’m not that fussy about date/non date. It’s more about finding an example I like.

Here is a site I used when I was looking for one.
    http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/Snowflake.html

I ended up with this 7021/0 got it as a retirement watch about 8 years ago the prices have went up a lot since then. Good luck on your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer2016 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Will have to dig in and start learning as I was hoping these might be less a minefield than vintage Rolex subs.

To the previous poster - did you get one in the end? What issues did you encounter with the other ones?

I was thinking the 9401/9411 or 94010/94110. At this point I’m not that fussy about date/non date. It’s more about finding an example I like.
    No I’ve not got one yet,the ones I looked at had the wrong bracelet end pieces or wrong bracelet or clasp but we’re asking strong money,these things may not bother some but when your paying top dollar for vintage pieces they have to be correct

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    No I’ve not got one yet,the ones I looked at had the wrong bracelet end pieces or wrong bracelet or clasp but we’re asking strong money,these things may not bother some but when your paying top dollar for vintage pieces they have to be correct

I'd like one too, pretty watch but don't have the funds.
    It's funny how things go in the world of watches : a non Snowflake Tudor Sub fetches as much as the equivalent Rolex from the time period.

Did you see my post about my Snowflake returning form some work.

Having that work done gives me a whole new appreciation of what may, or may not be, an original dial.

Go carefully.

Dave

To illustrate what dial for looks like, here is mine.

This was very common on the early 7016 & 7021 versions as such most of these references have service dials or have been refinished. Apparently rot was more common on the black dials.
    So unless you are strange like me and like tatty old things I would go for one of the later references, you are also more likely to get the correct bracelet and clasp with them as well.

Journeyman
    The post dial rot models (the 9 series numbers on) are the ones I’m considering, although seeing what a minefield it is makes it look more of a long term project than something I’d be picking up in the short term.

Mine is an 84**** serial, making it '76, with Beyeler repeated all over the back of the dial, and whilst the indices fell off and were badly repaired, the blue dial paint exhibited no rot whatsoever.
    Dave

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Here is a site I used when I was looking for one.
    http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/Snowflake.html

I ended up with this 7021/0 got it as a retirement watch about 8 years ago the prices have went up a lot since then. Good luck on your hunt.

Pretty watch!

Master
    I was lucky in that a lovely chap on here responded to a WTB a while back and was prepared to let this one go. Few marks on the dial and a new bezel courtesy of a service by Bill Rice but I rather like the aged dial and hands contrasting with the shiny new bezel. I'd choose the blue over an LV all day long it doesn't shout as much. My advice would be to buy one from a member on here or a trusted dealer unless you're very knowledgeable indeed.

Last edited by deepreddave; 20th July 2018 at 07:45.

Journeyman
    Lovely watches all round! Yeah, I think I'm going to have to contact some dealers directly to keep an eye out, as buying one from Chrono24 without seeing it first in the flesh really doesn't sound like a good idea! (Not that I'd be able to tell higher quality fakery sadly!).

Quote Originally Posted by NobitaD View Post
    Pretty watch!
    Thanks. I got this when I retired some years back when these were considered the poor mans Rolex sub. Got it on the MWR PX sales section for $2000.00 US it does have a service dial and hands being the condition the dial and hands are. This being a older movement no quick set date you have to go to the twelve and back to the eight and back to the twelve to set the date and you did not hear the click when the date changed some times so in need of a service had the SF Rolex service center service it about 500.00 US bet the price went up on a Rolex service now at least I know the watch was all legit they would of told me any thing that was wrong with the watch. So 2500.00 US in watch total. I think when Tudor started making the Snowflake again more vintage collectors discovered the vintage Snowflakes and the price skyrocketed on these. Main reason I got the Snowflake at the time was it was different than the Rolex Sub due to dial and hands and not every body had one not so today since there back into production. Even the top hat crystal perfect on this watch.
    Last edited by River Rat; 19th July 2018 at 18:31.

Craftsman
    To celebrate a milestone, I'm thinking of getting a snowflake Tudor sub. I've always loved the blue dials when the lume has gotten to that creamy colour and with that in mind have a couple of questions.

First off, I've only started researching these seriously with a view to purchase, so if anyone knows of any particular pitfalls or things to look out for with this watch, I'd love to hear them. I've checked out a few of the more easily searchable sites, but if anyone has any good recommendations, that would be great too.

Regarding the lume - I've seen a couple with the lume at the colour I love, but also a few that have stayed pretty white (which seem to be a bit cheaper). Are these ones likely to darken over time, or will they stay as is, considering they're already 40 odd years old and more. Might this also be a warning sign of a redial/relume and service hands, or is that something that happens with tritium lume? Is there any way to tell?

Thanks!
    Exotic watches have listed a beauty but top money of course.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    Exotic watches have listed a beauty but top money of course.
    Thanks for pointing that one out. I think at that price I'd be leaning toward a vintage Rolex Sub...

Craftsman
    Thanks for pointing that one out. I think at that price I'd be leaning toward a vintage Rolex Sub...
    They don't come in blue thought, but I certainly know what you mean.

Journeyman
    Yeah, love the blue, but at that price I'm into birth year territory for a Rolex Sub, and I'd have a hard time justifying going with a Tudor at that money.

I don't buy watches with a date function and I learned no-date snowflakes are hard to find, especially the blue version. I eventually found a black one in great condition and bought it for $2500. After a few years I gave up looking for a blue one and now that prices are up to nosebleed heights I will likely never have one. Regardless, I feel fortunate to have my 94010 from the late 70's or perhaps the early 80's (it is a 934xxx serial).

^ That looks great. Would love to see them re-introduce that dial on the 39mm Black Bay.

Journeyman
    Yeah, I think I'd just go for a black bay if it had square indices. I really don't like the snowflake hands paired with round ones.

Tudor Snowflake Sub

They offer something a bit different to a 1680.

I was lucky enough to buy this 94110 from Ross who I think is the creator of that Tudor site linked above.

It was my daily wearer for a year or so, then I changed the crystal to a NOS one as the old one had a slight crack and it’s more or less sat unworn since lol.