closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BNI - Business Networking... Any members past or present that can give some advice?

BNI - Business Networking... Any members past or present that can give some advice?

Hi all,

Are there any current or former members here? I have been invited to attend a meeting to see if this is something I would like to join. I am currently setting up my business and should be ready to trade mid September.

My understanding is that this will be a very regimented, weekly, compulsory attendance type of affair that does carry a significant financial cost to myself and I would really appreciate an honest appraisal as to whether this has been a worthwhile experience... in theory it sounds feasible, one type of business per group that hand out recommendations for each other’s respective businesses.

I know from experience that this can work as an effective advertising / marketing stream but I am naturally wary.

I have done a little research and from what I can see is an American franchise, so does this work for the the average business in Blighty, is this a sound business building platform or just a money making scheme that ties members up with little return for their joining fee? Would being part of the group cost me time (other then the breakfast meetings) due to expectations around out of hours gatherings etc?

I would also be keen to know of any hidden costs attached to the membership.

I have an open mind at the moment and I would be genuinely grateful for any constructive feedback...

Many Thanks,

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a couple of my clients who've been quite hardcore into it, but in both instances they are people who I think are quite crazy and have their priorities wrong in life by my standards.

However, they've done okay out of it. My perception is it's basically a cult. The ferocity with which they recruit new members says all you need to know.

I’ve never bothered with it, but I know two people who have - both of them run b2b companies and have done well out of it. One runs a security installation company, the other runs a printing company. Pretty much everyone in “the group” uses them for said services now.

They’ve both tried to get me to attend, but based on the fact we rely on large volumes of b2c sales I don’t know how sitting round a table with a handful of other people is going to help.

I was a member in Bristol for about 10years. Groups differ greatly, personalities, industries etc. If there’s a strong ‘power group’ (BNI term, like industries after similar clients eg accountant, IFA, mortgage adviser) then it can work very well.

It is very American and rules orientated, but my group bucked the trend with that and it was great fun.

The more you put in the more you get out. I only left as I had made strong bonds with members who had left so referred them rather than the members in the group.

I would budget on about £1000-£1200 per year.

I would recommend it to a start up, but also have a look at 4Networking. Similar but less rules. I was a member of both!!

Let me know if you need any other info, happy to help

One thing to think about is that’s it’s not the members in the room that you necessarily want/need as clients, it’s who they know outside the room. You just need to educate the members about how you can help and who you want as clients/customers.

My business account manager invited me along to a local BNI some years ago. It cost me £10 for a reasonable breakfast but I experienced the delights of a chap introducing himself as a professional balloon seller; a pompous announcement by the chairman about how everyone should provide at least two referrals every meeting; the frenzy of the passing out of ‘pink slips’; and the high pressure selling by the New Member Director before I was allowed to leave. Zero useful discussion about subjects that are useful to business owners and loads of hot air and guff.

The second invite I accepted was to a different BNI further along the coast. When I saw many of the same faces I left without taking a sip of coffee.

I was a member of a business networking group known as the Business Breakfast Club, or BBC, which was more like a business support group. In fact, I saw my fellow members as non-exec board members. That was a particularly useful group and business opportunities arose in a more relaxed fashion.

Thanks all,

I didn’t want to jump to all my own wrong conclusions but after speaking (numerous times in quick succession) to the gentleman who wants to introduce me, I was starting to get the impression that this was feeling more like a high pressure member recruitment drive than a business networking / platform... I know it is not the same thing but almost had a pyramid scheme type feeling about it.

Some of the comments here reinforce my initial feelings... I just want to assure myself that I am not being a nose thumbing nincompoop before dismissing this.

The B2B reference makes sense but that will not be my market either, I am sure that this must work for many but it doesn’t ‘feel’ like my sort of thing... that said, I may still go to the invitational breakfast, it would be a shame to miss a good trades network if there is a strong showing... not sure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Some time ago, the local ones that I got invited to were £15 a week, with the expectation that you should attend virtually each week. Being in banking they were a waste of time for me. My wife also got invited to the Watford one, she was Business Devp Manager for a mortgage company, and similarly a waste of time. However a friend who has a will writing company does at least one deal a month, and has been going for years, as he does very well from it.

Master
    My get rich quick BIL joined the BNI with the idea of setting up his own chapter, after 10 years of breakfast meetings a stupid o’clock doing stupid things he finally realised what we’d been saying ever since he started, only the very top make the cash.

Basically it’s for tradesmen to get referrals then they bung you a referral back, so your paying £££££ per year for referrals, but I do believe they hand out badges and have award ceremony’s for the top performers.

All this wrapped up in CEO director jargon so the can blow smoke up it as well, everyone’s picking the low hanging floor while looking at the blue sky thinking, and everyone is onboard.

It’s slick like oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk