closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What causes the hands to go like this on rootbeer?

Craftsman

What causes the hands to go like this on rootbeer?

Noticed this watch and quite like it, however what would actually cause the hands to stain like this?

If sent away to RSC would they change them?

https://www.watchcollectors.co.uk/pr...gold-rootbeer/

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I can't get a good look as on phone but it looks like pitting/corrosion and is seen quite often on vintage Rolex.

Some people summarise that it's caused by the gases etc released from tritium as it degrades, others have suggested it's from moisture (not necessarily water) from entering the case and reacting with the air.
    You can get them changed by rsc but then you'd have luminova service hands :-/

It looks as if the metal is eaten up, basically. Pretty weird to see this, especially on a Rolex.

Can't say that I've seen anything like this before. I honestly doubt that it's from water. I've seen cheap vintage watches that were water damaged and the metal wasn't eaten up like this.

There are tons of watches out there that use/used tritium and yet they don't have this kind of damage...

Or maybe they are stained/corroded and the angle is tricking me.

My question would be: if this has happened to the hands, could the same have happened to the mechanism?
    If so are you looking at a watch that would need major work = lots of money spent?

The GMT hand looks like it could break off soon if this continues so service hands will be needed . I echo the thought above , there are lots of metal parts that you can’t see, what state are they in ?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    It looks as if the metal is eaten up, basically. Pretty weird to see this, especially on a Rolex.

Can't say that I've seen anything like this before. I honestly doubt that it's from water. I've seen cheap vintage watches that were water damaged and the metal wasn't eaten up like this.

There are tons of watches out there that use/used tritium and yet they don't have this kind of damage...

Or maybe they are stained/corroded and the angle is tricking me.
    Oh jeez.
    I thought they were little clusters of corrosion but bigger it looks like they've been eaten away.
    Ignore my comment. This was what I was on about -

I haven't seen hands like that root beer before.

Quick, someone come up with a catchy name for it, turn it into a desirable feature.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Quick, someone come up with a catchy name for it, turn it into a desirable feature.
    Good plan! Some mug would easily pay a couple of grand extra for such a rare and desirable feature.

I don't think I've ever seen that before. It would certainly worry me enough to find another example.

Journeyman
    Ill call it galvanic corrosion.

Alloys of white gold, Au/Cu/Ni with/without Rh plating. Not sure what the base metal for the hands are?

All that with any moisture might be enough over time to form a cell?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I can't get a good look as on phone but it looks like pitting/corrosion and is seen quite often on vintage Rolex.

Some people summarise that it's caused by the gases etc released from tritium as it degrades, others have suggested it's from moisture (not necessarily water) from entering the case and reacting with the air.
    You can get them changed by rsc but then you'd have luminova service hands :-/
    Definitely not tritium - it decays to nonreactive helium.

Craftsman
    Thanks for explanation guys. It would bug me, but I suppose some collectors would like that

Interesting how metals have reacted, never would have thought that in a sealed watch case