closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch values have killed my passion!

Watch values have killed my passion!

I’ve enjoyed owning many watches for many years and this forum have been fantastic as a hobbyist, but the prices of these little mechanical wonders is now bordering on the ludicrous and obscene and for me is killing my passion.

In a world of digital wonder and achievement the mechanical watch really is an oddity, as it’s value far exceeds its redundant technology. Don’t get me wrong, I marvel at the history and engineering of these mechanical wonders, but bar a few modern tweaks, they really haven’t changed greatly in their basic form.

So, at a time when antiques have greatly devalued, how has the humble mechanical watch reversed this trend? Modern mechanicals have greatly increased in value, especially over the last 5 years, which will obviously have a bearing on secondhand watch values, but when I look at the prices now I’m rather disgusted if truth be known.

I know priorities change as we get older and watches don’t hold the level of interest in my life they once did, but value for money rarely exists for most brands we see today.

Funnily enough, I get far more enjoyment from far cheaper and better value for money watches than I ever did owning “grails”, even though I could easily afford far more expensive timepieces.

I guess if truth be known, my priorities have changed, and for me the price ticket has to justify the item. It’s just a great shame that no longer applies to a passion I once had.

I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to own some wonderful timepieces over the years, with special thanks to Eddie and this once wonderful community of genuine collectors, just a shame it doesn’t have that same vibe anymore. I guess like so many goods things in life, nothing lasts forever.

I feel sorry now for many newcomers to the hobby, as soaring prices are going to seriously limit what most people can afford, and fear these marvellous yet redundant timepieces will quickly become an elitist pastime. Great shame.

Master
    I see your point and would draw the comparison to classic bike prices. Recently I saw a Honda CD175 sell for £2750 ish. Since when was a CD175 as “ classic” . A Brough, a daytona, an LC yes but a ride to work bike?

In the last 5 years interest rates have been on the floor so people have bought into nostalgia. In the watch world I guess people have said why sit on £5K savings doing 0.8% when I can buy a XYZ timepiece that I have always wanted.

Since so many people have had the same idea, both in the watch and bike world the phrase “ a rising tide floats all boats” Then available supply has been outstripped by demand and prices go north.
    Steve

I know the feeling. For example, I have two sea dwellers, one worth £4K and one worth £8k, I wear and enjoy the cheaper one more.

I’m still struggling to convince myself I only need a couple of watches though. And as above, I’ve no greater need for the money at present.

While this is true for the main brands, and prices have been ever increasing, there are always some good value/priced watches around - although maybe it takes a good sale to find them. I make it a point to try a few different brands from time to time, and I am sometimes very impressed with the watches/value/quality they offer at their price points - I have recently bought a Titanium Certina for example and at under £400 after delivery and taxes, I think it was a very good buy.

The other side of things is that some used watches are great buys compared to new models - when you can buy some very nice Omega diver watches for around 25% of the cost of a newer model it can still be quite accessible. Of course if your passion included brands and models that have only been increasing and are harder to find new, then I can completely understand. I can't even buy a new model Rolex that I like, and there are a fair number of them that I would buy - in saying that the prices are getting a little out of hand and my income is not keeping up with the secondary Rolex market for a number of their models :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Me too Jason. Values are all about the speculative market now and not about the actual watch, which is what it was meant to be about in the first place. Still, as you say, fun to be had at the lower end.

Extrapolating a little and going off piste (it is Sunday after all, so bear with me) I think things are going to change big in our society as a whole over the next few years and we all really need to have a rethink as to what core values we actually want to hold and how we can embody them
    Last edited by seikopath; 25th November 2018 at 13:09.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I agree prices on new are stupid,I recently purchased a seiko tuna SNE new at a reasonable cost £290 and love it ,its keeping the DSSD in the safe .But its not just watches its everything, was PART of the reason my X33 went ,it just seemed so much to have wrapped up in a quartz

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I see your point and would draw the comparison to classic bike prices. Recently I saw a Honda CD175 sell for £2750 ish. Since when was a CD175 as “ classic” . A Brough, a daytona, an LC yes but a ride to work bike?

In the last 5 years interest rates have been on the floor so people have bought into nostalgia. In the watch world I guess people have said why sit on £5K savings doing 0.8% when I can buy a XYZ timepiece that I have always wanted.

Since so many people have had the same idea, both in the watch and bike world the phrase “ a rising tide floats all boats” Then available supply has been outstripped by demand and prices go north.
    Steve
    Classic means nothing more than old, if motorcycles are anything like cars.

For watches, the word used is vintage, but is just as meaningless.

I'd agree about the price, mostly, of modern watches. It's hard to reconcile prices with what you get over watches of 20 or 40 years ago.

I rarely buy new, but there are some 'vintage' bargains out there if you're not obsessed with brand names.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    What you say is true, but that’s the way of the world and applies to many things.

Houses have gone up four fold in 20 years and are unaffordable to many people.

Master
    Mine too, and I took it so far as to become a watchmaker.

Now 10 years into my "career", if you can call it that, theres very few places to go in this industry, I'm bored and looking at retraining for something else, If I can.

I'm not alone either, many of my classmates have left the trade, and most of the others I talk to are thinking about it. I'm Rolex trained and would love to be my own boss, in my own workshop. But Rolex and others restricting parts means we are forced to work for either horrible companies like Swatch Group, or an AD, who all just see watchmakers as a necessary evil, with the salaries and benefits to follow that.

I'm telling anyone who seems interested in pursuing watchmaking to avoid that, and aim for a bigger, better industry with more options and room to grow.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Me too Jason. Values are all about the speculative market now and not about the actual watch, which is what it was meant to be about in the first place. Still, as you say, fun to be had at the lower end.

Extrapolating a little and going off piste (it is Sunday after all, so bear with me) I think things are going to change big in our society as a whole over the next few years and we all really need to have a rethink as to what core values we actually want to hold and how we can embody them
    I agree with this. Regardless of anyone's view on the whole Brexit affair (let's not go there) the world, let alone the country, is heading for major change over the next few years whether we like it or not IMO. The major watch brands have been riding this wave of resurgent popularity thinking it will go on forever, and their shortsightedness may catch them out. It's easy to raise prices during the good times but pretty embarrassing to reduce them during the not-so-good as it undermines the perceived value (hence desirability) and calls into question why they were asking those prices in the first place (so credibility as well).

I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, so i had to save hard and for a long time to get the two 'premium' watches i currently have. However if i'm honest with myself that's taken the wind out of my sales as it's lengthened the timescale to getting the next watch which in my opinion is half the enjoyment, having a collection in a constant state of flux. On reflection i'm certain i enjoyed this hobby more when i was buying SKX's, Hamilton's, Glycine's than when i started getting into Omega, Brietling etc. (never got to Rolex, always too rich for me).

I guess there's nothing stopping me from going back to those days though.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 25th November 2018 at 13:44.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

Steve
    That's nuts Steve ref the CD175. They were shockingly bad 30 years ago let alone now. I had two 350LC's back in the 80's / early 90's and can understand why they fetch strong money these days as they were (and are) iconic in design. I still baulk at the prices they're currently fetching though as they were mass-produced in huge numbers, and despite the fact that many were scraped off the road or imploded there are still plenty around so the supply is there. It's just been hyped up and they don't always sell for anywhere near what their owners are asking i can tell you. Also many riders see those times with rose-tinted specs and when they go out an buy one 30 years later they find out to their surprise they were absolute rubbish (certainly by modern standards). That's why many of them have 30+ owners on the V5 as they're bought and flipped (not literally) a year or two later.

Sorry guys this is a watch forum to back to it. As you were.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 27th November 2018 at 11:42.

Master
    For me I just think that there are some great watches for not a lot of money and that's where I would rather be than buying high end watches.

I have just agreed to buy a fabulous Seiko Baby Tuna with the yellow accents on it and for just over £200 it's a lot of watch for the money and I just don't want a lot of money tied up in watches.

Agreed, it's daft. I sold my last expensive watch a while back. Speculators and hoarders are going to get burned, and soon, I reckon. Just my view but I've acted on it.

I now get all the pleasure from microbrands, and the usual mix of Seiko and a G. My incoming Borealis Sea Storm v2 will be my most expensive watch by far, at £300. I get the feeling that quite a few on here are on much the same journey...

Totally agree with the OP. This hobby has become a spectator sport for most people these days, with £4.5k Omega Snoopys selling in excess of £20k as a prime example of the madness.

I get far more enjoyment these days with watches in the £200 to £500 range and it also removes the issue of residuals. Any loss upon selling is going to be in the tens of pounds and not an amount that would pay for a holiday.

I think the internet generally and the likes of e-bay are partly to blame, everyone seems to be a tout these days. Just wait for the latest Speedy Tuesday or Rolex Ceramic to be released and see how long it takes for these to hit the secondary markets. Cars, concert tickets, sporting events, goody bags from a Royal Wedding - people will tout anything to make a buck.

Master
    Not as mad as the vintage guitar market IMHO. At least there isn’t the same mythology (as far as I know) about some hand wound wax dipped pickup that creates a unique sound.

Wait until we’re asked to pay 2 grand extra to get that special watch “relic-ed” - or has that already happened? (I don’t mean vintage lume, more take a new watch and scrape at along a brick wall a few times to add character)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Wait until we’re asked to pay 2 grand extra to get that special watch “relic-ed” - or has that already happened? (I don’t mean vintage lume, more take a new watch and scrape at along a brick wall a few times to add character)
    If this happens it will be a fabulous new career for me! I pay out more in repair bills than servicing on all my watches, based on being a proper clumsy old bastard!

So if anyone wants their watches ‘relic-ed’ 4-5 days in my care should do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As someone into both watches and guitars, I have never understood the attraction of 'reliced' guitars. Then again, I don't buy jeans with rips and holes in them either and wouldn't dream of paying for such a 'service'. Corroded dials and hands do nothing for me either.

Current selling price of Rolex means little to me as they are never in the window to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    As someone into both watches and guitars, I have never understood the attraction of 'reliced' guitars. Then again, I don't buy jeans with rips and holes in them either and wouldn't dream of paying for such a 'service'. Corroded dials and hands do nothing for me either.
    They do nothing for me. They do nothing for me. Oh, Vienna.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Wait until we’re asked to pay 2 grand extra to get that special watch “relic-ed” - or has that already happened?
    That has already happened, Laco do pre-borked Pilots, under the name "Erbstuck"
    Last edited by Der Amf; 25th November 2018 at 14:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Agreed, it's daft. I sold my last expensive watch a while back. Speculators and hoarders are going to get burned, and soon, I reckon. Just my view but I've acted on it.

I now get all the pleasure from microbrands, and the usual mix of Seiko and a G. My incoming Borealis Sea Storm v2 will be my most expensive watch by far, at £300. I get the feeling that quite a few on here are on much the same journey...
    Totally agree with you I am taking more of an interest in micro brands and I still think Seiko offer great value for money as the baby Tuna I am about to get is fantastic for just over £200.

Master
    Values haven't killed my passion as such but I now have to look elsewhere to find my enjoyment, which is fine. I enjoy the boutique and homage market that has emerged over the last few years and still enjoy reading about the hobby for the most part but I agree, the thought of buying into any of the Swiss brands is probably long gone for now.

I have to admit, living in Perth W.A. has also changed my perspective and there isn't the pressure or focus on watches or luxury brands like there is in London when I lived there for many years. Most folk here genuinely couldn't care less and so if you do enjoy say homages for example, it doesn't even register and I find you can just enjoy what you like without much of a care, but that could also just be me

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    I know priorities change as we get older and watches don’t hold the level of interest in my life they once did, but value for money rarely exists for most brands we see today.

Funnily enough, I get far more enjoyment from far cheaper and better value for money watches than I ever did owning “grails”, even though I could easily afford far more expensive timepieces.

I guess if truth be known, my priorities have changed, and for me the price ticket has to justify the item. It’s just a great shame that no longer applies to a passion I once had.
    The drop in antique values is interesting, I assume because of generational changes. Whilst a luxury item, they never leave the home so have no cachet when trying to impress others. It is this desire to be seen with the latest bling that I believe is behind the silly Rolex and Patek demand growth in recent years, I wonder too how social media plays into this. My attraction to Rolex has decreased as their values have risen, I lean further towards watches which are under the radar, but to me hold much more interest and personality. This is where my interest in this hobby is drifting towards.

In a once proud nation which is now so divided, that would make for an interesting thread!
    Last edited by mondie; 25th November 2018 at 14:34.

Grand Master
    744ER’s comments are interesting.

The big manufacturers are making it prohibitively expensive to set up as an accredited independent repairer, even if you’re fully trained and highly skilled. This can’t be a good thing, it means a trained watchmaker is always going to have limited opportunities to progress and its little wonder there’s a skill shortage. Maybe the big manufacturers want ALL watch service/repair work to be carried out in Switzerland, or by their own service centres by guys who are getting treated like battery hens!

The ever increasing cost of service/repair is another factor that’ll work against the long-term popularity of the mechanical watch. Restricted parts availability is the culprit, now that Swatch Group have gone down this path it severely limits the number of watches for which an independent repairer can get parts, it undermines the viability of watch repairing as a career choice and that’s ultimately going to hit watch owners in the pocket.

These factors, together with the crazy prices, will kill the market eventually. The ‘good times’ finished around 2010-2012 in my opinion, I don’t see the current trends as sustainable in the long term. Less people are even bothering to wear watches thesedays and that’s a concern the industry needs to face up to.

My enthusiasm for the expensive stuff has seriously diminished, I was happy to pay £1500 to a couple of grand for a second-hand Rolex in the past but I can’t justify paying the current price levels. Even some quite ordinary vintage watches are now becoming expensive to buy/own if the cost of service is factored in.

Some folks will feel the exact opposite, but personally I don’t get pleasure from knowing I’ve got a £6000+ strapped to my wrist, giving off whatever messages people choose to infer from it. A vintage Omega worth a few hundred quid feels much cooler to me.......I’ve almost gone full circle to where I was 15-20 years ago!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    The drop in antique values is interesting, I assume because of generational changes.
    We've seen it with other collectables:

In December 2015, an unheard, one-of-a-kind Elvis acetate surfaced at an auction house in Aston in the West Midlands. Widely publicised, and open to the worldwide market, the recording of Suspicion was expected to sell for £12,000. It achieved £6,500. This shocked many, but not collectors. It marked the arrival of a moment they had always feared. For the first time in popular music history, Elvis records and collections were dropping in value.

Take the Good Rockin’ Tonight EP. In 1998, the Rare Record Guide listed it for £125 but – according to online record database Discogs – over the past 10 years it has fetched a median price of £13.50. The singer’s You’ll Never Walk Alone LP was worth £400 in the 2012 Rare Record Guide, but is valued at £150 in the 2018 edition. These are indicative of a general trend. “If you try to sell any Elvis record that could easily have sold for £15-£20 each in the 1980s today, you can hardly give them away,” says Red, who runs an online Elvis vinyl store.

Why is this? It’s depressingly apt that John Duffie, the first collector I wanted to ask that question to, has passed away. The Elvis Shop London – the UK’s only Elvis store – closed its doors recently due to “simply not making any kind of profit”. Europe’s last Elvis music store, the Elvis Corner Store in Utrecht now opens just one day a week. The truth is, with many Elvis fans and collectors well into their 70s and 80s, as each year goes by, more are lost. This then floods the market with their wares.

There are about 32,000 Elvis records being sold on eBay at the moment – this number was closer to 20,000 items for all memorabilia five years ago. And it’s not even as if they are selling well. Of the 40,000 vinyl listings to finish in the past three months, only 16,000 have resulted in a sale. The problem is, there simply aren’t enough collectors left. “You’ll barely see Elvis guys here, not any more,” I’m told by Alan Simpson, an Elvis dealer at Stratford-upon-Avon record fair, as he stands over a vacant stall.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/sh...eting-in-price

Master
    I'm amused by the idea that watches confer some sort of social status. In my experience, most people have no interest in watches, and no idea what a 'Patek' or 'Daytona' actually is. It's not like owning a posh car or house.
    For most hobbyists, it's a purely private pleasure. Which is quite enough.
    And isn't all this ''my watches cost just pennies' stuff another form of 'virtue signalling.' People can spend what they want, wear what they want, it's all part of the same hobby. A cheap Citizen is an excellent watch, so is a Patek. Both equally valid.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    They do nothing for me. They do nothing for me. Oh, Vienna.
    It means nothing to me?

Master
    You can definitely still enjoy yourself with the increasingly appealing micro-brands, and there are corners of the vintage / pre-owned market where you can enjoy the thrill of the chase. I enjoyed tracking down the 60s Seiko pictured below. There are also plenty of more recent higher end models that are now drifting down to sensible second hand purchase levels, you just have to keep your eyes open. What I am unlikely to do though, is sell the huge number of beautiful and irreplaceable vintage watches that would be required to buy the really high end new models.

For those expecting a great change in attitudes, it’s an interesting discussion, but I don’t see it happening any time soon - there are enough people globally with enough money to support the whole orgy of luxury, and I fully expect them to still have it in future.

And here’s the picture I meant to post earlier, together with an IWC electronic, two watches that didn’t break the bank and were fun to track down.

Last edited by Itsguy; 25th November 2018 at 17:00.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm yet to find a point that you can't buy a watch that isn't of the very highest quality, history or significance for a pittance.

This year for example, the exact model of watch that sat in Leigh Mallory's pocket on Everest for seventy five odd years came in for less than a ton, as did an early pre Rolex Oyster. The first mass market quartz watch, again less than a ton and a range of less well known vintage brands that were no better or worse than watches costing thousands are still easily available for tens.

Master
    Strange thread. The simple and indisputable truth is if there were no collectors, the watches would be valueless. We want them, then we buy them, then we hoard them and when demand exceeds supply, the prices goes up. We even contribute to forums and that in itself stimulates demand.

We can't feel sorry for ourselves when we caused the problem in the first place.

'Each mot juste' OP

I know exactly what you mean. Got into this hobby 11 years ago. And watch prices have rocketed and spending a couple of grand on a watch was no issue . But now the prices have got ridiculous . I used to buy a watch a couple of times a year . Beyond the cheaper seiko turtles I haven’t bought a watch in 3 years.

Craftsman
    Having being interested for over 25 years and purchasing for 20 of them it is frustrating.

I suppose it is like saving for my house, the more I saved the more and more expensive they were becoming.

From what I see watch price inflation is driven by people willing to spend the money, obvious but true.

It is getting to a point where the micro brands are more interesting and easier to dip in and out of.

First the purchase and then the servicing.
    Servicing is also expensive and lengthy. I spoke to Sinn recently about turnaround timing and was too that there are not a lot of watchmakers to go around.

For me anything of interest to me are now out of my reach (Seadwellers, Royal Oak etc) and this is secondhand.

First world issues I know.

There’s a lot of enjoyment to be had with Seiko’s, other micro brands, and not least our hosts offerings. I do agree that prices of some of the mainstream stuff is pretty punchy now - but we don’t have to buy them.

I would genuinely like you to start a thread on this Dave - interested in hearing /reading your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    I would genuinely like you to start a thread on this Dave - interested in hearing /reading your thoughts.

I think it's pretty obvious what my thoughts are given the huge volume of crap I've posted on this forum over the years.
    However if you kick off a thread in the G and D I'll happily bore the arse of anyone who can be bothered to listen.
    BP probably isn't the best environment for this sort of discussion as a sub forum it is rather too prone to infantile 'dirty protests' these days. I'd rather have a civilised discussion. I think it's a serious subject that does bear thinking about.

Agree entirely with the OP, it's getting bananas out there. I do still enjoy reading about some of the very top end stuff, but with values going the way the have over the last couple of years I'm probably less comfortable now chasing some of the big brand names and happy to focus on watches that really deliver on value...

Only if you want a Rolex Sports, Patek Philippe or AP Royal Oak model, still plenty of great watches which are reasonably priced on SC from brands such as JLC, Zenith, Grand Seiko, Omega and IWC to name but a few.
    Last edited by shalako; 26th November 2018 at 09:57.

Master
    I have been into watches for only about 5 years or so now. I have found it pretty staggering how much prices have climbed.

I think I am a bit unusual for someone of my age (27) in that social media holds very little interest for me and while I think technology can fantastic, I kind of wish the current trends of amazing phones that cost a grand and are obsolete in 2 years didn’t exist.

This is what drove me to watches I think. Something that I can spend my hard earned money on, it is well made and can last a lifetime. No one else knows what it is, but I get great satisfaction from it.

I have just bought my first Rolex which is something I have dreamed pretty much for 5 years, I bought it new and it was so expensive, I love the watch but would have much preferred to have bought, say a 10-20 year old watch but the prices of those are worse than the new ones. It may be mainly marketing but Rolex appeals so much because of the history, the classic/original designs and the durability, that hasn’t changed (much) but the prices have so it is a shame I will not be able to explore the hobby and brand more in depth and first hand. As others have said, I am so grateful to have been in a position where I could buy a new Sub but I imagine it will become more of a spectator sport for me. Annoyingly, I have tried a good few watches in the sub £500 and for the most part, did not enjoy it as much as the more premium end, with some exceptions (Seiko and a used Nomos).

Some vintage watches from great brands like Omega, IWC, JLC excite me a lot, but I have reservations over availability of parts and being able to maintain them...
    Last edited by watchstudent; 25th November 2018 at 18:39.

It wasnt in the safe till the seiko came along ,my point was really that I take pleasure from something cheaper and affordable as well as expensive

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    What's the point of owning a DSSD to hide in a safe???!!! There meant to be worn!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    They are all meant to be worn.

Most people on here have more watches than arms.
    Last edited by seikopath; 25th November 2018 at 18:36.

Blog Entries
    I guess in the (high-end) watches will go the route of all high-end luxury items - such a super-yachts, helicopters, football clubs etc. Technology is killing off whole sectors (cameras, audi-visual etc etc) and watches are another (mechanical and others). Let's enjoy them while we can 'cause they may not be here in 50-100yrs time. Does anyone wear a fob watch with their bowler hat and brief case with their three piece suit and tie?

Martyn

Master
    When I window shop in the Watch shops I cannot quite believe the prices of watches, I’m sure someone will tell me it’s all relative and in line with inflation blah blah but it seems absurd.

I do think Tudor are offering good value for money when compared to the likes of Tag, Breitling and Omega.

As I wander around I think I’m in the Truman show sometimes, looking in the Breitling store at all the dozens of models at barmy prices wondering who the hell is buying them!

Watch values have killed my passion!

I think it's pretty obvious what my thoughts are given the huge volume of crap I've posted on this forum over the years.
    However if you kick off a thread in the G and D I'll happily bore the arse of anyone who can be bothered to listen.
    BP probably isn't the best environment for this sort of discussion as a sub forum it is rather too prone to infantile 'dirty protests' these days. I'd rather have a civilised discussion. I think it's a serious subject that does bear thinking about.
    Well I’ve picked up snippets but I’m slow on the uptake .

Agree re. the BP but what about the boys room or the Bullingdon?

The Rolex circus has killed my passion tbh.

I'm not as long in the tooth with this watch game like some of you on here but my late father had a Rolex and so when my interest started about 6-7 years ago it was a brand I was most interested in.
    I went from Cheap £250-£500 pieces, my first expensive watch was an oris and that's where I'd stayed for a while stuck around £1500-2000 pieces.
    Lookimg at what I spent I realised that I should have just gone for a Rolex in the first place- so I sold everything and bought my first new Sub. Purchased a New Oyster Pet for the wife and that's where I was until I again sold the lot to start the business.
    Over the past few years I aspired to Rolex again and the wife and I have a few between us.
    Then the debacle of the latest Pepsi GMT started and It suddenly dawned on me why I was chasing the Rolex badge. Hate to say it but Cillas right.....Veblen.
    Ive spent the last year drooling over the latest GMT but why? They show you the goods- dangle the carrot in front of you then snatch it away with ridiculous 5 year waiting lists.
    The local AD simply don't take any orders anymore and openly admit that the situation is totally ridiclous.
    I've been saving up for that upcoming purchase and yesterday decided that it's not going to be the Rolex. I decided that my latest purchase will likely be my last- or for some time anyway,

“Soaring prices” only applies to certain brands. Get your head out of the fog and look to other great brands (both those with long history, and new upstart microbrands) and I think you’ll find that prices are not “soaring.” ;)

I have always worn a watch …. every day since I was a child!

In 2013 I bought a Seiko for £280, which was the most I had ever spent on a watch by far.

2014 I spent over £1200 on a Sinn which was insane.

2015 I drove home from Iconic with a Breitling on my wrist, shaking my head with disgust at the 2 and a half grand I had spent.

2016 the budget doubled again with the smell of fresh coffee, the AD experience and an IWC

2017 was a waiting year … which was a good thing really, as the stake was to double once more ..

2018 £8350 handed over with no negotiation, trepidation or regret!

Now I think that is a steep curve, and if it were drugs I was spending the money on would be deemed an addiction.

All the pieces are loved, worn and going nowhere …. but I do realise that on present form, the next jump would be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    “Soaring prices” only applies to certain brands. Get your head out of the fog and look to other great brands (both those with long history, and new upstart microbrands) and I think you’ll find that prices are not “soaring.” ;)
    Pretty much this, if you want to know how different the forums were in the not too distant past just do a search and see how many micro brands and other great brands pop up in comparison to the endless speculator/dealer threads of today.

There is no reason why it cant go back to that, just dont reply to those threads that are choking the life out of this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Pretty much this, if you want to know how different the forums were in the not too distant past just do a search and see how many micro brands and other great brands pop up in comparison to the endless speculator/dealer threads of today.

There is no reason why it cant go back to that, just dont reply to those threads that are choking the life out of this hobby.
    I think that’s a happenstance from the people joining and participating in the forum, not the watch business. Maybe all these Rolex fans don’t realize there’s a Rolex Forum on the web…?

If this thread is a complaint about the trend in forum discussions, doesn’t that belong in the George & Dragon section…

Hey Jason, me too in a way, I've still got an interest but can't justify the prices nowadays, there are a few watches I had on my list but by the time I got round to them *pfffft* the price ran away. OK I could save for longer but then the frequency drops and the risks of being left holding a pup increases, so head rules heart at this point. In one respect it's been good to have collected prior to the bubble, but I'd prefer to have 2010 prices and forego any profit and still be able to add nice interesting watches, that's sort of the point and enjoyment in collecting. Ah well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post

2018 £8350 handed over with no negotiation, trepidation or regret!
    For......?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk