closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Meridian Prime

Meridian Prime

I do not often do longer posts on here but this watch probably deserves more than just a few lines... I first saw one of these at SalonQP a few years ago and immediately liked it. I had a good chat with the creator and would have considered it to purchase if it was not for one thing... the asking price. More about this later!

The Meridian started life as a personal watch for the creator built to withstand artic exploration. This was never in the early publicity and it's amazing to me that it wasn't as it seems to be the obvious 'story' of Meridian. Simon the creator walked to the North Pole from Canada.

To quote their press statement:
    In 1998, second generation watchmaker and fellow of the British Horological Institute Simon Michlmayr spent 29 days walking from Canada to the North Pole.
    While on the expedition, Simon wore a Swiss watch from a highly renowned brand and discovered that despite the manufacturer’s aspirations for it to be a practical tool watch, it was virtually useless. He needed something that he trusted to expose to the elements, which he could read easily at a glance and on which he could totally rely not to let him down.
    On his return to England, Simon resolved to design and manufacture a practical, hardwearing wristwatch that would be a “tool, not a toy” – so he created the Meridian Prime.
    Manufactured almost entirely in Simon’s home city of Norwich, England (the base caliber is Swiss) from 904L stainless steel, each case and back are manufactured as a pair, which means that they fit together perfectly and uniquely providing water-resistance to 1000 feet.
    The 904L stainless steel is vital in ensuring the robustness of case, as is the military tank grade crystal. This glass is treated with internal and external anti-reflective coating to military specification.

It certainly is tough...46mm is on the large side for me but I've got used to it quite quickly. I've put aside the chunky leather strap which it arrived on and have been wearing it on a 24mm nato which to me suits it rather well.
    ( it does raise it off the wrist though )
    The original threads on this watch were not kind but maybe it's time to take a fresh look. They are very tough, the crystal is a work of art and disappears due to the military coating, the base Calibre is one of the most robust movements and overall fit and finish is superb.

To quote my thoughts from an early thread (2013) about them:

'I rather like them. The 'aged' PVD version is very cool and i even like the dials...

I talked to them at length at QP and was impressed. Would i pay £4500? Almost... but is it £4000 better than my DA37 for everyday use? Probably not.

I really like the Schofield Signalman too.. maybe i'm the target 'sucker' that wants an English watch.

The military grade anti reflective coating is interesting too btw...'

They are undoubtedly not for everyone but I do not think they deserved the bashing they initially received.
    The price is now a far more reasonable £1995 for my version, so the potential for losing a lot of money if you wish to sell on is greatly reduced and being seven years on from the launch even the initial price looks less silly. The Damasko I compared it to is no longer a £500 watch... in fact it's 1260€. (£1100).

I saw these recently on sale from Oakleigh watches and I think they share premises with Meridian and Garrick in Norwich. https://www.oakleighwatches.co.uk/
    There are not many left and as building them costs more that the asking price these days it's unlikely they will produce any more.

Some photos of my no73....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’m a bit of a fan,

Have thought about adding a black dial version as well but never gotten around to it.

I like that - though i think 46mm is probably pushing it for me... so what movement do they use - looks like a unitas ? Are they handwind or auto ?

cheers

matt

A good-looking watch, though it still seems a bit on the pricey side - although small runs are bound to be. 1000 foot is just over 300 metres, which seems close to standard to me!

It’s a Unitas but breathed on by Meridian. 300m is fairly standard.
    By the look of it I’m sure it would withstand more.

Norwich. Home of colmans mustard, the mighty canaries, sale of the century, and meridian watches.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Is that '73 Elan, too? Also from Norfolk, though it doesn't look like Norfolk in the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post

Some photos of my no73....

Master
    Duplicate post - deleted

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've dealt with Simon a few times and his enthusiasm is endless for these watches. Too big for my piddly wrists mind :(

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Is that '73 Elan, too? Also from Norfolk, though it doesn't look like Norfolk in the photo.
    It’s a Spitfire in the Yorkshire Dales

I rather like them. They were kind enough to lend me a watch in 2013, and I wrote about it here. Rather fun (if a tad on the large side).

Master
    It’s a Spitfire in the Yorkshire Dales

Looks like the road from Sedbergh to Hawes?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Meridian Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Looks like the road from Sedbergh to Hawes?

You’re close. It is near Hawes.

Master
    You’re close. It is near Hawes.

Nice part of the country, the road from Ingleton to Hawes is a good run too.