closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: royal mail observations and tales of woe 2009

royal mail observations and tales of woe 2009

waiting in for RMSD

get an automated email from RM - we tried to deliver to you, but you were out.

thats funny, i think, I've been sat in the front room. about three metres away from the front door.

take the red card to your sorting office, says the email

thats funny, i think. theres no red card.

twenty minutes later i see postie out in the street

'oh, whats going on then?' i say

he say 'sorry, I've been a bit naughty. i get into trouble if i don't deliver them before 1 and I'm running late today'

'oh' i say.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Most of the delivery companies are doing the same (or similar) things to meet their 'targets' nowadays.

I have still found our RM posties to be some of the best out there to be honest. I think they realise that there are rules and regs that they have to abide by, but still do their best to help people out if/where they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

I have still found our RM posties to be some of the best out there to be honest.
    me too. i expect this sort of thing from yodel or my herpes for example, but not royal mail ffs. its named after the queen ffs. what would the corgis think ffs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    me too. i expect this sort of thing from yodel or my herpes for example, but not royal mail ffs. its named after the queen ffs. what would the corgis think ffs.
    This is not expected or acceptable in the organisation

go here - enter your postcode in full

https://www.royalmail.com/delivery-a...office-finder/

then call them or go there and tell them what happened - leave the rest to the supervisor.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    This is not expected or acceptable in the organisation

go here - enter your postcode in full

https://www.royalmail.com/delivery-a...office-finder/

then call them or go there and tell them what happened - leave the rest to the supervisor.

B
    Dont really want to do that Brian. He's not my regular postie, who is brilliant, but i do know him becuase he does cover my round sometimes.

Ok, so i would be 15£ up on the deal becuase they delivered late but it would probably ruin his week wouldn't it?

It's a tricky situation. You want the underlying cause to be fixed, but reporting it screws over the guy who is being pushed into a corner by the rules.

As someone who would have to get in their car and drive over 10 miles (the following day) to collect a parcel if I did not open the door fast enough to sign for a parcel, I would rather my postie, who knows us well, uses their initiative and just shoves it through the catflap, or leaves it somewhere safe rather than just play 'the rules game', which is what reporting them would cause.

I appreciate that every situation different.
    I am very remote and have no one passing by who would take the parcel, even if it was left in the middle of my front lawn, so my situation is very different to someone living in a flat on a busy street in London who has a parcel left on their doorstep.
    The problem is that the same rules apply to all posties and reporting him for not abiding to the rules would cause problems for everyone else.

Their is no single 'right' answer to this problem.

Dont really want to do that Brian. He's not my regular postie, who is brilliant, but i do know him becuase he does cover my round sometimes.

Ok, so i would be 15£ up on the deal becuase they delivered late but it would probably ruin his week wouldn't it?
    I agree. It would, I am sure.

It would also likely make him wonder why he bothers to try to help people out at all.

Master
    Our DPD delivery driver often asks can he cut the bar code off our parcels, so he can scan them a bit later.

If he scans them too early, base camp will know he’s working ahead of schedule and will increase his load accordingly the next day.

Don’t hate the players, hate the game.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Our DPD delivery driver often asks can he cut the bar code off our parcels, so he can scan them a bit later.

If he scans them too early, base camp will know he’s working ahead of schedule and will increase his load accordingly the next day.

Don’t hate the players, hate the game.
    That's a new one. I had to stand and chat to the driver (who explained the same thing to me) until the appointed hour for a DPD delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I agree. It would, I am sure.

It would also likely make him wonder why he bothers to try to help people out at all.
    I don't see how he was helping anyone out but himself. If i had not caught him i would have had no parcel and no card.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

I'm surprised they're not using some sort of GPS tracking as well.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'm surprised they're not using some sort of GPS tracking as well.
    Won't be long till everyone has been chipped. That'll teach the postie to try and pull a fast one.

I don't see how he was helping anyone out but himself. If i had not caught him i would have had no parcel and no card.
    Agreed, for your package.
    I meant in the more general sense of signing for things they maybe shouldn't have and then posting them through the catflap (for example).

Some get penalised for delivering early too, if they have a specific time slot to adhere to.

I have had couriers waiting in their vans in my driveway as they can't hand over the package for 10 minutes as they are running ahead of schedule.
    It drives the dogs mad!

Master

Agreed, and really bad karma for the rest of your week.

Much better to let off steam here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You had an email so card probably not needed?

Don't think I'd report him, he's probably doing his best with a too big workload.

Master
    He'll need to deliver that SD by 13:00- if he is at the other side of his round to get the SD he will need to cut off from what he is doing and drive/or walk to get to the SD by 13:00
    He will have scanned the item as a docket left for it 'appears' he has attempted it before 13:00 then when he gets to you he will rescan it as a 'second attempt'
    The product does not really fit in with todays deliveries as some don't leave the office until 10:00- it should really be changed to a next day guaranteed delivery.
    But that would be up to the regualtor

This is all very interesting and rather sad on a number of levels.

On Tuesday I was working from home waiting for my wife and my new iPhones to arrive. They were being delivered by UK mail.

The text from O2 to confirm they were on their way linked to a web page that showed the actual journey of the delivery van. It started out at 8am and we were drop 112. “Blimey” I thought, that’s a lot of drops. He did his first drop at around 8.45am after driving some distance to get to it.

I checked it throughout the day and while it was clear the guy was making progress by 3pm he was only at around the sixty mark.

By 6pm he had done drop eighty something. But at 8pm he was back at the depot with our iPhones and I saw a note on the website saying they would now be delivered the following day. I think he made it to about drop ninety.

A few things struck me - first he had a very long day of driving. Second that is a huge number of drops they had given him and even going flat out he had little chance of fulfilling them all. And thirdly UK Mail had potentially wasted a lot of people’s time if they were waiting in especially for deliveries that day.

I felt really sorry for the guy, as his target was clearly not doable.

My OH had a replacement mobile phone delivered a couple of months back, the delivery driver was to take the old one and simply hand over the new one.

Sounds easy?

The guy was a five minutes ahead of schedule. The window for delivery was between 1pm and 2pm. He arrived at 12.55 and so we had an awkward 5 minutes at the door chatting rubbish while the clock slowly ticked over those 5 minutes. At 1pm and 1 second, he scanned the packages and was on his way.

I often have it with dpd who say they have attempted delivery to my shop but later find they didn’t attempt