I'm sure much worse has happened today but I was the victim of a "bump and run" incident this morning.

Sitting stationary in a queue of traffic on a large roundabout (the "Dome" in Watford) waiting for the lights to take my exit, a van tried to squeeze past on my right, at speed, hitting the my driver's side rear corner in the process, then hurried off taking the exit after mine. I wasn't hurt but it was a bit of a shock and the guy had sped off before I could even get his reg.

I do have a dash cam but it is forward pointing - you can clearly see in the footage that I am stationary (as are the other cars in front), you see the car jolt and then the side of the van as it passes by quite quickly but, the kicker, the reg is not in the field of view (because he effectively turned right and was never in front of me) :-( I did get a fleeting glance at the reg and tried to memorise it but couldn't find a match on the DVLA site - so probably got it wrong! :-((

Bar steward - the driver would have 100% known that he hit me and I believe the reason for him hurrying away from the scene like a scolded cat.

Damage - looks like it's relatively minor on the surface - some scrapes to the bodywork and crack in the rear light cluster (but functional). The car's a BMW E92, and because the corner is where several panels meet; the rear wing, the light surround/rear panel and the bumper/lower bumper - and they are all "body" panels, there is no specific "bumper" as such, they may all need a small paint touch up.

I've informed the insurance company (Direct Line) and they are sorting it and looks like it falls under their "fair" policy - so I only have to pay the excess and no impact to NCB etc. They couldn't find the offending reg either, so I probably did recall it incorrectly.

So, all-in-all not the worst result but it still annoys me that people don't take responsibility for their actions.
Sorry I just had to get this off my chest, hey ho, I know these things happen but it doesn't half piss you off!!!