closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on Setting date/time - Omega PO

Journeyman

Advice on Setting date/time - Omega PO

When setting the date on my Omega PO is it bad practice to turn the dial anti-clockwise to get to the date required. I.E if the date is currently 19 and I want to set it to 13 is it bad practice to wind backwards as it takes less effort to get to that date than if I was to wind clock-wise and go from 19, 20, 21 - thru to 13?

Apprentice
    Good question....

I always wind watch forward to correct date - something to do with gears or something and the watch does not like it, especially if you mess about between hours of 8.00pm - 2.00am (or thereabouts) where the necessary starts happening for the watch to automatically advance the date when the watch is running. Sorry for the poor explanation but I am sure someone appropriately qualified with clarify this shortly.

PS are you winding through 24 hours to advance by one day or using the quick set manner?

PS I do not own an Omega

Journeyman
    What is the quick set manner? I wind it 24hrs to pass 1 day normally.

Master
    Pull the crown out one position(instead of 2) then when you turn it,the date changes every half turn. You get to the right date in about 10 seconds. :-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Pull the crown out one position(instead of 2) then when you turn it,the date changes every half turn. You get to the right date in about 10 seconds. :-)
    This is what I do, put in position 1 but I still have to wind it 2 times round the dial (24hrs) for the date to go to next number?

Master
    So you are setting it to a date beyond the current one and then turning the hands backwards?
    Or are you just wondering if that would cause a problem?

I’m assuming it has an 8500 movement or something similar, with the jumping hours feature rather than a quick set date. If this is the case, there is no problem jumping the hour backwards to get to the required date

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If it is an in-house co-axial 8500 or later movement, the hour hand jumps in one hour increments (similar to Rolex GMT movements) you can advance or go back to change the date without stopping the movement. This is useful when travelling but a bit of a pain if like me the watch only gets occasional use.

I had a problem with my PO 8500 where the hour hand went out of alignment with the minute hand, this was fixed under warranty by Omega but since that happened I was convinced that it was winding the hour hand backwards to change the date may have contributed to the problem. I may be wrong but always wind the hour hand forward now to change the date.

I still think it's a great watch which keeps excellent time. despite the many on here who don't like modern Omega watches, they are good value especially at used prices, around a quarter of the value of my Rolex SD4000.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Omega have, on their websites some very helpful instruction videos on setting their watches

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...e/user-manuals

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    I’m assuming it has an 8500 movement or something similar, with the jumping hours feature rather than a quick set date. If this is the case, there is no problem jumping the hour backwards to get to the required date

agreed.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

Yes you are correct, my PO is the 8500 movement

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Omega have, on their websites some very helpful instruction videos on setting their watches

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...e/user-manuals
    Great thank you - this has answered my question :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    If it is an in-house co-axial 8500 or later movement, the hour hand jumps in one hour increments (similar to Rolex GMT movements) you can advance or go back to change the date without stopping the movement. This is useful when travelling but a bit of a pain if like me the watch only gets occasional use.

I had a problem with my PO 8500 where the hour hand went out of alignment with the minute hand, this was fixed under warranty by Omega but since that happened I was convinced that it was winding the hour hand backwards to change the date may have contributed to the problem. I may be wrong but always wind the hour hand forward now to change the date.

I still think it's a great watch which keeps excellent time. despite the many on here who don't like modern Omega watches, they are good value especially at used prices, around a quarter of the value of my Rolex SD4000.

My watch is the same only the 12, 6 & 9 digits are orange....