closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Montblanc rollerballs

Master

Montblanc rollerballs

Thinking of splashing out on a Montblanc rollerball and I know there are some on here that like a nice pen or two, so though I'd see what people's experience of Montblanc rollerballs is?

I've used rollerballs pretty much all the time for last few years and really like the way they write. Previous to that, I used a nice ballpoint which I still have. But for taking notes in a work environment, I prefer a rollerball.

There seems to be loads of different models/ranges from Montblanc which is why some real-life experience would be useful.

A couple of years ago I quite fancied the M range (with the magnetic cap) but never got round to buying one so that could still be in the running.

Thanks

I bought the M rollerball just over a year ago and use it as my daily pen.

I really like it and it always gets positive comments.

I've had one of these for a few years.

http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/colle...ollerball.html

Great pen, the only one I use, keep it in a leather pouch

http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/colle...pen-pouch.html

Master
    I bought one on holiday a few years ago. Quite a lot for a pen but it’s lovely to write with and I’d certainly buy again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I bought the M rollerball just over a year ago and use it as my daily pen.

I really like it and it always gets positive comments.
    Ah yes, I remember that (I think). So you're getting on well with it?? How are the refills in terms of longevity? Looking for something for everyday use.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I bought one on holiday a few years ago. Quite a lot for a pen but it’s lovely to write with and I’d certainly buy again.
    Which one did you get?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    I've had one of these for a few years.

http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/colle...ollerball.html

Great pen, the only one I use, keep it in a leather pouch

http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/colle...pen-pouch.html
    Lovely. Like the ballpoint that I have already, except that has gold fittings. Might be a good match.

Master
    Oooh, the matte “ultra black” version of the Montblanc M looks good.

http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/colle...point-pen.html

This could be dangerous ground, can Montblanc pens be found below RRP?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Thinking of splashing out on a Montblanc rollerball and I know there are some on here that like a nice pen or two, so though I'd see what people's experience of Montblanc rollerballs is?
    The trouble with using a Mont Blanc is that it can seem a trifle jejune.

Why not try something with real elan from Visconti, Dunhill, Namiki, Montegrappa, DuPont and so on?

A couple of years ago I quite fancied the M range (with the magnetic cap) but never got round to buying one so that could still be in the running.
    They do look different, though I couldn’t live with a cap that can’t be posted.
    Last edited by JGJG; 13th July 2018 at 00:24.

I've got the M rollerball, I chose this specific model because it is a modern contemporary design and that appealed more to me than some of the more classic and iconic Montblanc designs.

My wife bought it for me as a gift when our daughter was born in 2016 so I feel the modern design of the pen fits in nicely with the reason for why it was purchased, and it will always remain a very special item to me. I'm not a pen collector so to me it is a very nice item to own with sentimental value rather than an outstanding bespoke collectors pen.

It's a very nice pen as pens go, does the same job as a five quid rollerball but is very nice to have and use just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    Oooh, the matte “ultra black” version of the Montblanc M looks good.

http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/colle...point-pen.html

This could be dangerous ground, can Montblanc pens be found below RRP?

Dave
    I bought mine and the pouch from Heathrow so quite a saving. Something to consider

For those that own a Mont Blanc pen. I am currently looking for a rollerball/gel pen but need it to have a 1mm (which would be classed as broad) point. Mont Blanc list just 'Fine' and 'Medium' but give no dimensions. Does anyone know how broad the 'Medium' refills are?

Master
    Ah yes, I remember that (I think). So you're getting on well with it?? How are the refills in terms of longevity? Looking for something for everyday use.

Which one did you get?
    This one

http://www.montblanc.com/en/collecti...SAAEgK4RvD_BwE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    The trouble with using a Mont Blanc is that it can seem a trifle jejune.

Why not try something with real elan from Visconti, Dunhill, Namiki, Montegrappa, DuPont and so on?

They do look different, though I couldn’t live with a cap that can’t be posted.
    I never post the cap on any pen. Not really sure why, but never have.

Master
    i have one but you can buy a fake on ebay that still uses the correct refill. Plenty of other quality makes out there even though they might not be made of the 'precious resin' used by MB. Cult Pen has some nice choices.

Journeyman
    I have learnt something new today re:posting - had to look it up!

I have a Meisterstuck rollerball and it was my daily use pen for years. That lovely chunk of precious resin has experienced board room tables, bank manager meetings, client briefing, my kids using it to write cards and pretending it is a light sabre. It also had to be rescued from a cavity wall after I dropped it whilst pointing out a detail during a site inspection and it looks almost as pristine now as it did when I received it as a gift from my then mother-in-law. This thread has inspired me to rescue it from self-storage and get back to using it. The refills are teetering on the edge of eye wateringly expensive as they used to be around £6 each and didn’t seem to last that long but I am a doodler and used it to sketch out ideas so I thought of the refill as an investment. Or at least that was how I convinced myself.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Amazing pen. Great feeling and zero regrets post buying. Highly recommended if you want a stand out pen

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I bought mine and the pouch from Heathrow so quite a saving. Something to consider
    Thank you.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Have used the rollerball Montblanc for work every day in the last 5 years. The large Fountain pen only gets used for signatures and special occasions.

I posted on here at the time for advice from memory.

Have really enjoyed using it. Thinking back, I’ve had it two years now rather than one. In that time I’ve used more refills than I might otherwise have expected, but I do use my pen daily for writing in patient notes, signing letters, etc.

One thing I would say about the refills is that because you need the capless ones, they don’t come in double packs so you end up buying them as singles. Not an irritation but something to note.

Overall, I’d buy it again if I ever lost it or some tragedy happened involving it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
    Amazing pen. Great feeling and zero regrets post buying. Highly recommended if you want a stand out pen

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
    Yes its a wonderful pen - expensive though. Fortunately I got mine in Rome when the euro was 1.43. Also picked up a non date sub in Florence on that trip at the same rate with a 10% discount! Those days are long gone.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have just paid £153 for MB to repair my roller ball after the barrel and internal barrels separated (essentially gluing 2 bits back together). It has come back with the cap not screwing down fully due to a large dent and the screw section of the barrel / roller ball end part feeling gritty and rough when screwing in due to the crap they have left on it. Lovely pen, sloppy workmanship.

How are the refills in terms of longevity? Looking for something for everyday use.
    In my view they're not great. I use mine very sparingly (really only for carbon copy as a fountain pen won't work) and they don't seem to last very long at all. Unless, of course,I'm not using it enough and it's drying out.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Great pens to use , had mine about 7 years though i prefer my Montegrappa pen. I would go to a pen store/boutique and try them out and find what you like, I would also look at other brands too .

If you do for a Montblanc buying duty free when travelling is the only way to get a discount.

Master
    Great “lightly used” and new Montblanc pens can be had via Roy at izodspens http://izods.ink/ so far I have 5 in my collection so far 149, 146 burgundy, Kafka Writers Edition, Marlene Dietriche and a Le Grand Ballpoint. All fantastic, his service and customer care is excellent.

Buy the MB refills and put them in a cheaper pen, that way you get the MB writing experience for considerably less money. I think they fit in a Pilot G2 with a minor modification.

Thinking of splashing out on a Montblanc rollerball
    My advice is to buy one first and definitely don't do this in the shop. I also have a thing about stationery but some people just don't seem to be able to understand.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Back in the day I got mine @ Costco. I dont suppose they still sell them?

I have a Mont Blanc Noblesse fountain pen and Pen station. The pen station will take a Mont Blanc, biro, rollerball or fibre tip refill. Bought them in 1980 with a leather roll.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Diameter measurement?

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but I thought this might be as good a place as any to ask: could anyone give me an accurate measurement for the diameter of the MB roller ball refills (both standard and le grand)?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Your 'resurrection' prompted me to check out the new Lamy line. I bought a complete Lamy set many years ago and loved the rollerball. I couldn't find Lamy refills for it back then but determined that MB's fit just fine.

I came across this new Lamy Swift Special Edition Racing Green Rollerball retractable that I just have to have. On it's way!

https://www.penworld.eu/pen/lamy-swi...l-edition.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Apologies for the thread resurrection, but I thought this might be as good a place as any to ask: could anyone give me an accurate measurement for the diameter of the MB roller ball refills (both standard and le grand)?

Many thanks in anticipation.
    Hi

Standard rollerball refil=

6mm thick (maybe 6.1mm)
    110.6mm long from base to tip
    92.5mm from base to shoulder

Hope that helps (gave me a chance to use the gauge I bought a while back!)

Cheers

Hi

Standard rollerball refil=

6mm thick (maybe 6.1mm)
    110.6mm long from base to tip
    92.5mm from base to shoulder

Hope that helps (gave me a chance to use the gauge I bought a while back!)

Cheers
    Perfect, thanks. I’m thinking of hacking a standard Montblanc rollerball refill to get some of the nice range of colours into a Montblanc capless system refill (which has very limited colour options), so I just needed to make sure that the internal wadding wouldn’t be too big :)

Master
    Picked up an M Ultra in the Burrells sale for £225 got a ballpoint and a roller ball so looking forward to my first foray into the world of exec pens

If you want to write with h a Mont Blanc more covertly, the MB refills can be ‘hacked, to fit in a Pilot G2. You will be a writing with an MB, but no-one else with know.

Master
    I got an m pen from burrells for 185, not an ultra as I already have one. Super value.

They are designed by Marc Newson and are very understated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I got an m pen from burrells for 185, not an ultra as I already have one. Super value.

They are designed by Marc Newson and are very understated.
    Which one did you get? I thought the M pens were £225 in their sale?

Master
    The ultra blacks were, but the original resin were 185, I really didn’t need it!

My 5 year did manage to chew my first one. It’s not too bad but i thought 185 isn’t far off the price of a service

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    The ultra blacks were, but the original resin were 185, I really didn’t need it!

My 5 year did manage to chew my first one. It’s not too bad but i thought 185 isn’t far off the price of a service
    Thanks. Will see if they have any left!

Master
    you done well finding the ultra they've long since gone, I was happy with my M at £225

They did have some special edition versions great character versions and some heritage available but that was it for £303 upwards

Master
    Bugger! By the time I got round to calling the M pens had all gone.

Will have to wait for another sale or special price...