closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It has taken me 20 years to find this watch! - Lemania British military - UPDATED

Master

Wink It has taken me 20 years to find this watch! - Lemania British military - UPDATED

Warning - picture heavy........Yes that's right 20 years. I have been collecting watches for most of my life, but Lemania collection started around 20 years ago. This model has eluded me up until now. It is the white dial asymmetrical case variant meaning it was issued to the HS9A designation of the Royal Navy navigators and pilots. There are plenty of the black dial versions, and there are plenty of white and black dial round case versions. I have seen this watch advertised at various places before but never got my hands on one. It is stunningly accurate, operating to around 4 seconds per day. It needs a crystal polish as the marks are obscuring the logo. I am half tempted to fix the lume, but I think it is best left as it is. This will fit in nicely with the rest of my Lemania military collection.

Here she is.....

Matches the black dial - I have a couple of examples of the black dial version

Like peas in a pod - nearly

Just for fun, here are some of the others that I have collected over the last 20 years.

Quite a rare aysymmetric case with 2 chronograph buttons instead of the usual 1 button

The white dial round case

And the round case black Lemania

More peas in a pod!

Over the years I have also collected non British military Lemania watches including these

The Swedes

The South Africans

And no Lemania collection can be complete without the Czech

I have also collected more Lemania watches. These were not intentionally collected. I just came across them over the years in my search for military watches, and picked them up simply because I liked them. I thought they were quirky and just scratched an itch whilst finding good military examples

I got this as it was very reminiscent of an Omega Speedmaster

I got his one as it is identical to the Heuer Audi Sport which I owned at the time (the Heuer, not the Audi)

This one reminded me of an Omega Flightmaster or more closely to a Sinn 142

This one looked to me almost the same as the Omega Seamaster, which I also own (I think the Omega model nickname is the Skywalker)

I got this one as I had never seen a Lemania world time before

The exact same reason for buying this one, its the first and only Lemania calendar that I have seen

This one was an eBay special in the early days of ebay back in 1998 when most people had never heard of it. I think its the first Lemania I had got. The main reason for choosing this one is that the date is in an unusual position. However I did like the dark grey dial and bezel as well.

Last is the Lemania Benthos 1000 meter diver with solid monoblock case and 60 minute chronograph. These are more commonly seen as Aquastar Benthos

And another view to show the thickness of the case

And just for a bit more fun - they are not Lemania watches, they are Sinn, but have the Lemania 5100 movement. Its an old picture that I did actually post on the forum some time ago

One more that I am looking for is the Lemania 2 button white dial. Its taken 20 years to find the 1 button model. It could take 20 more to find the 2 button. But that is not going to stop me looking. I may also come up with some more to add to the collection in the meantime

Since there was a bit more interest here than I realised, I thought I would share these as well. I know this is a watch forum, but I am sure clocks get appreciated here as well. They came about at military fairs whilst looking for watches.

These two are military issued, and have the military stamps and broad arrow on the case backs, though I don't know what aircraft they were in originally, one being an 8 day clock and the other being a 12 hour chronograph. I thought them interesting enough at the time to buy them. The chronograph was supplied by Camera Cuss.

This is a non issued 8 day aircraft clock. The red hands are not connected to the mechanism. They are set by the button in the middle of the crystal and are set to indicate a time. To remind the pilot of the time that they took off. It is also very accurate and works to around 5 seconds per day, its at least 50 years old. I have this on my desk propped up against an external hard drive :) I really need to make a mounting of some sort for it.

This one is a yacht's cabin clock with time and chronograph. Its pretty huge so have included a watch that is familiar to most people here to give an indication of the size. Usully with instruments like these its unusual to find the time and chronograph function on the same clock, which is why I bought it. The holes in the case are so it can be mounted to a cabin wall.

Lastly not a very exciting one, a very large stopwatch with time and chronograph. I have shown the wristwatch again for size comparison. I just liked the look of this, crisp white dial and contrasting blued steel hands shown in second picture. But the thing that really drew me to it, being very nerdy about it all, is the stunning looking movement seen in the third picture

Last edited by clockwatcher; 30th November 2018 at 20:59.

An amazing collection - thanks for taking the trouble to post. I guess you need a Nuclear Submarine version now.

Incredible collection and congratulations on finding that last one.
    The Benthos is something, but my favourites are the South African ones and the closely related world time.
    Wear them all in good health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Impressive collection and well worth the effort you've put in finding those. Thanks for sharing.

Craftsman

Lemania

My Rare Lemania Ran

Master
    Now that's one focussed collection! Well done

Master
    Very nice and chuffed for you given it's been a 20yr search. That's opening SC >7300 times and being disappointed (based on only once a day ). The Swedes have good taste in watches!

I've a couple of 5100s but only one non military Lemania that I bought from here last year (old pic but it is on a new strap now before anyone reminds me.. ;)).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Now that is a cracking collection!!!!!!

thanks for posting.

mike

Superb collection.

Some rare pieces .... stunning !!!

Thanks for sharing :D

Humble collection here compare to yours

Last edited by pepere13; 12th July 2018 at 16:10.

Really great collection, thanks for sharing. I'm really into the asymmetrical case models. Ideally I'd like a nuke sub variant, but they're rare as hen's teeth and sell for large sums when they do come up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    An amazing collection - thanks for taking the trouble to post. I guess you need a Nuclear Submarine version now.
    Thanks and the Nuclear Submarine would be amazing, but finding one at a sensible price....

Master

My Rare Lemania Ran
    Fantastic - no Aussies in my collection :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Incredible collection and congratulations on finding that last one.
    The Benthos is something, but my favourites are the South African ones and the closely related world time.
    Wear them all in good health

Yes World time does resemble the "Saffers" I failed to mention that!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Chaps! :)

Thats a great collection, sometimes I see a post like this and don't see a watch I'd like to own. I don't see one here I wouldn't like.

I wish somebody would remake the South African versions, they look fantastic.

What an amazing collection.
    Wow, really, WOW.

I notice the odd one out is the Benthos, because for some wierd reason it has an A Schild movement in it - even though Lemania were kings of the centre-minute chronograph. Lord knows who made that decision.

Love the grey on in the 817 case - very nice, a movement that Omega also used in DeVille chronos - but I have to say I have never seen Lemania printed that way before.

Lemania also got issued to the BBC too. This one is a proper-sized 42mm across.

I have one of the 142s as awell, mine has all the sub-dials left on.

Dave

Master
    A great collection. Love the focus (like me with my Schauers/Stowas. Peaked at 20,still have 14).

Master
    My jaw just dropped.
    So many amazing pieces in there....
    And so many grails!
    I can appreciate it has taken you a very long time to put this together and I can only hope that you will keep expanding the collection and keep them together!
    Simply spectacular.
    It nice to see another Lemania “Heuer sport” in the forum.
    Here is mine;

It came with the same bracelet as yours but it was in NOS condition so I took it off to put something that I wouldn’t mind picking up a few desks wear marks!
    Unfortunately I am only left with two other lemania 5100 powered watches for the time being:

Great collection,I’ve just recently got my first lemania,needs some attention but hopefully it’ll clean up

Cor-blimey!
    In my opinion that's the best collection I have seen on here by a mile. The best part is there are still some you can add to the collection when you find them.
    I would love to have the focus to build a collection like that but I am too much of a magpie.
    The watch I regret not buying the most is a Lemania HA9 chrono I saw in London for £750 about 3 years ago. - Doh!

Amazing collection love the Saffers best dial layout of the 5100 I reckon and seldom seen!

Master
    I absolutely love these posts - what a superb collection. Thank you for taking the time to write them all up!

Absolute killer Lemania collection! I'd give my right arm for just one of those, well maybe a fingertip but still. Congratulations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    Thanks and the Nuclear Submarine would be amazing, but finding one at a sensible price....
    One on Chrono24 but not sure about the sensible price🤣

STUNNING!!!!!

Simply stunning, congratulations on a fantastic collection.

Totally know where your appreciation is coming from.

Congrats to you on finding an "9A"!!
    Now I know who that guy is that keeps on buying the ones I'm hunting. Others have said it but I'll say it again "So many grails in there...." Not going to nit pick, as the strength of your hoarding is strong.

I am curious as to what might be next on your shopping list?

Just stunning...
    Pat

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Thank You for sharing this with us. Great collection and really well presented.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Stunning collection thank you for sharing. My personal favourite of those is the day date calendar never seen that before, now I want one!

OP do tell what gets the most wrist time of them?!

That's an incredible and nicely focused collection and congratulations on your success after so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The watch I regret not buying the most is a Lemania HA9 chrono I saw in London for £750 about 3 years ago. - Doh!
    FFS! Is there an emoji for a withering look?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman

lovely

That is an ace collection!

Whats the Benthos like to wear?

Blog Entries
    Cor blimey…. That’s an amazing…. I spend more time on other parts of the forum now as I’m fed up with the Rolex fest! I’m glad I had a peak this evening!

A proper collection from a proper collector…. Thanks for sharing! I have Lemania as a saved search on eBay…. Not bitten yet, but, one day…!

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s the best collection I’ve ever seen.

I would be happy owning just one of those.

Really interesting post. I do like the lemania branded civilian chronographs you have, and regret not picking one up with the same case as the Heuer Carrera 510.523

The S.A. 5100s are great too.

Master
    Guys, thanks very much for the kind words, and thanks for all of the replies showing off your Lemania watches. There are some lovely examples here. I really just intended to show off the new acquisition but got a bit carried away when digging out the black dial to compare it against :)

The searching continues as the collection is not complete, and as mentioned I may well pick up other non military goodies along the way. The 20 years of searching military fairs, watch fairs, antique fairs and contact with military and watch dealers continue. Chrono24 is too expensive for my blood!

The Benthos gets the most wrist time BTW
    Last edited by clockwatcher; 12th July 2018 at 22:56.

@clockwatcher, forgot to ask.
    What was the 1st and 2nd Lemania? If you remember.

Pat

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Very pleased for you that you have been able to add such a rare piece to your great collection.

There is a lot to be said for having a focused collection, not exclusive, but with a main theme.

Mitch

[

Wow - just jaw dropping! I've not seen the steel bezelled Swedish one before - a new one on me! My only consolation is that it's taken you twenty years - so there is hope yet but as you note, prices make it more occasional and less able to take advantage of opportunities... But to keep you motivated, a nice AMI Lemania dial and a RAN 5100 would be right at home... ;)

Lemania 5100 has been my main focus over a few years - here's the SAAF and Heuer to compare [as noted above]

A slightly early 156:

And although not military - at least we can call them 'paramilitary' - Tutima ZUZ

And the ZUZ EZM1 with another few including the last LE version (still to get a plain 3H....!]

And my favourite trio I think -

I've a few more but nothing in comparison to the greats you have managed to gather - again - well done, great to see so thanks!!
    Last edited by andy111s; 1st October 2018 at 21:19.

Very cool, Congratulations!

Glad that someone bumped this thread now or I could never see it!
    @OP: Congrats on your latest find and your truly impressive Lemania collection. Did you actively search for this model for 20 years (ie knew about and were on the lookout for it) or was it 'just' missing in your collection for 20 years?

Master
    Blog Entries
    A pleasure to read this thread again,I wish we had more like it.

Apprentice
    Wow, so many really special pieces!

Congrats on a really impressive collection. I am especially impressed by the Viggen watches, I've not seen one with the stainless countdown bezel before. I also really like the Speedy look-a-like with the rotating bezel. Does it have an 1873 in it?

Great post. Thanks for sharing — worth a thread on mwr (the military watch forum)

I am reluctant to use the word "amazing" as I keep seeing it used to described things like a 1980s Seiko 5 but non the less I have to.

Amazing. A true collection of note. Just scrolling through your post had me reminiscing about the few times I've had near misses of some of the most desirable and attractive watches made by Lemania - and you have them all!
    Gray

Wonderful collection. Respect.

The only Nuclear Version I have seen was in the possession of Andrew Lefftey - might be worth a call.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

As an aside I have just received the Watches Of Knightsbridge Auction Catalogue. Lots of issued watches including lots Lemenias.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche