closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fellows Auction - Fake AP?

Fellows Auction - Fake AP?

Hi all,

I just clicked on an ad for a watch auction at Fellows and saw a very obvious fake AP Offshore.

https://www.fellows.co.uk/2154-lot-1...t_detail&year=

The datewheel is definitely not original.

Should someone point this out to them?

Craftsman
    Knock yourself out! It's a pretty ugly watch real or fake tbh.

Craftsman
    Not sure about the whole watch being a fake. The date wheel as you point out is incorrect

Looks like its stuck on with a piece of paper. Very odd.

Master
    Fellows are very receptive.

If you think something is wrong, inform them and explain why you believe so. In my experience they would not hesitate to withdraw something if they shared your concern.

Let us not equate them with Humbert Ellis, who would appear to let "bidder interest" be the determining factor.

H

I've let them know and they are investigating.

Master
    I know squat about AP but the pic doesn’t help. The dial appears flat but it’s so over exposed I think I can actually make out the textured dial now.

What is the obvious issue with the date wheel? I had a google and there’s 101 variants of this watch but having seen fakes of these they normally stick out like a sore thumb looking goofy. The date wheel looks a bit off centre but just interested what makes it an obvious fake as looking at the genuine pics the only thing I can see is the printing on the tachy ring and dial markers looks slightly finer on this one but again it could be the over exposed pic.

Craftsman
    Hard to tell from the pic but the wheel, date, etc. are the correct colour and size. It's an AP ROO Safari with a replacement strap

Master
    AP are not my speciality but as stated above I drew Fellows' Managing Director's attention to the thread, knowing how keen his company is to do things correctly.

As expected, he was extremely receptive and sent me this email this morning:

"Good morning

Our watch guys have had another look at this and have withdrawn it from the auction – it may take a couple of hours for the website to update. Fortunately we have another AP consigned for August which we can drop in its place – the paper catalogue was due to be printed over the weekend so that is being sorted now.

Thank you to you and your colleagues on the forum for spotting this and pointing it out. We are grateful that you and they are happy to share their expertise in a constructive manner.

Best wishes..."

Well done to the posters above and tz-uk, but also to Fellows.

For me, this is a very positive incident that supports my experience of them over many years*. There may not be many cheap watches in their sales these days, but that is the market and not their fault. What I like is Fellows' wish to do the right thing and willingness to deal with a problem if someone identifies one. Auction houses cannot be expert in all things, but they cross the line when they think they are or try to fudge through at the risk of all bidders.

Jonathan Humbert of Humbert & Ellis Limited, you could learn a thing or two from this example.

Haywood

* I feel that I should declare personal friendships with the principals at Fellows, but these have arisen in no small part because of the way they operate. I gain nothing from celebrating them here.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 13th July 2018 at 10:48.

Master
    What an excellent reply from Fellows, bravo!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    What an excellent reply from Fellows, bravo!
    And very reassuring as well. Not that I have ever bought anything in their auctions, but it is somewhat confidence inspiring they are quick to act.

Master
    Impressive from Fellows, and well done to those on the forum who helped out, too.

I have watched Fellows auctions for many years now, including buying from them, twice.
    To be fair to them, they have always put up lots that are later removed from sales when doubts have been raised.
    It has clearly been a policy of theirs not to offer what they know to be dubious.
    It used to be that Fellows flagged up "Pawnbroker lots" - using that exact phrase as the intro to each listing that was sourced that way.
    And similarly, it used to be that a few of the brokers they dealt with clearly had limited assessment skills and had loaned money against fraudulent watches - such watches were frequently removed from the catalogue prior to the sale.
    I am glad the policy continues
    Dave

To be clear - if the ‘fake’ has been removed is the AP now shown via the link the ‘replacement’ or has it yet to update?

I just want to make sure that if the ‘fake’ has been swapped out that members aren’t put off the genuine replacement as a result of the thread.

Perhaps a reference to the s/n of the ‘fake’ would assist (as I see the s/n visible in the watch in the link).

I originally started the thread and have only just seen the responses.

I received this email from them

Dear Hasan,

Further to your email yesterday afternoon I would like to inform you that this lot has now been withdrawn from the sale. After a very close inspection of the watch we were not completely satisfied with all of the elements of the movement and decided that this watch has not been manufactured by Audemars Piguet.

I would like to thank you for contacting us to let us know about your concerns.

Good response from them.

Maybe more due diligence for the future before watches get listed for auction.

Journeyman
    Admirable.

Applause to Fellows and the above forum members.