closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a CH car?

Master

Buying a CH car?

I normally do pcp or ch for 2 or 3 years and currently coming to the end of a 3 years ch for a 640 Gran coupe. They are due to give me a price next week to buy it. They did say though that it can’t be bought in my name due to something like hmrc/benefit in kind rules. However my wife can buy it. Does that sound right?

I had to put my business name down to get the deal though I’ve never claimed tax relief against it - as I’m a Director of my company and have a sole trader business and a partnership (for properties) the Accountant claims mileage instead.

Can she buy it and then transfer it to me? Issue is I don’t want to lose all my no claims if I don’t have a car in my name.

Also deal ends in 3 months. If I get a price next week, am I likely to get a lower price if I ask again nearer the time? Any help most welcome.

I’m pretty sure you can insure the car even if it’s not registered in your name. If you are the legal owner just tell them it’s registered in your wife’s name and you don’t want to unnecessarily add another owner by putting it in your name...

Master
    Sounds correct from my own research when leasing. If your wife is the registered owner and keeper you can still insure it provided your insurance company are OK with it. This is the same situation you are in now with the lease company being the registered owner and keeper so I don’t see why they’d object.

Master
    That makes sense. I’ll do that at the time. Thanks.

Craftsman
    Our Evoque is in my wife’s name but it’s insured in my name with her as an additional driver. She uses it more than me - I use my scooter or public transport to get to work. Also, pretty sure you don’t lose your no claims bonus as long as you are not insured for over a year. Before my Dad stopped driving, him and my mum used to alternate as the main driver to maintain their full NCB's.

Craftsman
    The price they give you is based on the auction prices for that month
    Coould go either way
    I once bought a convertible contract finished in winter so convertible prices were depressed so got it for a steel

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Our Evoque is in my wife’s name but it’s insured in my name with her as an additional driver. She uses it more than me - I use my scooter or public transport to get to work.
    You could come unstuck if insurers get wind of this.

Agreed - if she uses it more than you then she is the 'main driver' and therefore your car is not properly insured and they can wiggle out of any claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You could come unstuck if insurers get wind of this.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Agreed - if she uses it more than you then she is the 'main driver' and therefore your car is not properly insured and they can wiggle out of any claims.
    I’ve had that argument out with my insurance company when they questioned me. She has her own car but uses the Evoque more frequently than me as she does numerous short trips - mainly taking the dog out (we call it our glorified dog bus) but I’m the driver when we both go out as well as on trip/holidays and I spend more time behind the wheel and drive more miles in it than her. My insurance company are happy with that explanation. I’m the owner, she’s the registered keeper.

Master
    So she’s the main driver on both cars?

If one partner is the main driver on several different vehicles, with the other as a named driver on them, it could suggest fronting.

But as you say they are happy with the answer you gave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk