timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Another Speedy fake

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    78

    Another Speedy fake

    Many years ago, I purposefully bought a speedy fake in some far flung Asian market (Bangkok I think) purely to see if I liked the general look and size on my wrist. I never had the cheek to ever wear the watch in public again and it languished in the bottom of a drawer.

    Just having a sort out and thought you might be interested in a side by side. The two buttons move the day date wheels. It's an auto movement, with winder and hacking. The bracelet is a bit cheap and nasty but the watch weighs almost the same as a speedy (130 vs 150g). Cost less than 30 from memory.



  2. #2
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    4,831
    Which one's the fake?

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    3,005
    Prefer the fake's indices.... ;-P

  4. #4
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    4,954
    Hehe you should run a poll A for LEFT , B for RIGHT

  5. #5
    Turn the bottom register into a month, and you'd have a really rather lovely triple date.

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    78
    Here are some more close ups and comparisons for you:










  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    568
    I'm actually thinking of doing a similar thing. Might buy an Alpha chronograph homage of the Speedy just to see if I actually like the style when on the wrist. Been looking at the Speedy for a while now but still not sure so thought this might be the way to test it.

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    New York, London, Dubai
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post

    Is that next months Speedy Tuesday?

  9. #9
    They've put the 'chrono'(!!!) pushers on back to front... but not bad really for 30 quid, if you're into fakes.

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    They've put the 'chrono'(!!!) pushers on back to front... but not bad really for 30 quid, if you're into fakes.
    The fatter sleeve on the fake is fixed to the case and the button slides in and out of that. On the genuine watch the skinny sleeve is fixed and the wider button moves over the top of the thin sleeve.

    Even if the fake had no aspirations to copy Omega, it was still an automatic watch that still works for about the same as a Swatch!

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    553
    'MANNED SPACE MISSONS'

  12. #12
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I'm actually thinking of doing a similar thing. Might buy an Alpha chronograph homage of the Speedy just to see if I actually like the style when on the wrist. Been looking at the Speedy for a while now but still not sure so thought this might be the way to test it.
    That's what I did.

    I think that the Alpha is actually quite a good watch. It has a Seagull movement and is impressive value.

    And at least it says Alpha on the dial!

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    That's what I did.

    I think that the Alpha is actually quite a good watch. It has a Seagull movement and is impressive value.

    And at least it says Alpha on the dial!
    Yea think I'm going to go for it to test the water. I've quite large wrists which is why I bought the large Planet Ocean (which I love) but really need to try the Speedy.

  14. #14
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    3,948
    For a watch that's been languishing in a drawer, there's plenty of $hite and wabi on it....

  15. #15
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    For a watch that's been languishing in a drawer, there's plenty of $hite and wabi on it....
    Amazing what sweat will do stored away. I opened my bread bin today, couldn't even toast it and scrape it!

  16. #16
    Journeyman RS404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
    Posts
    132
    I just showed the top photo to my girlfriend and asked her which one was fake, after examining it for a good 30 seconds, she got it wrong.

  17. #17
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    3,948
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Amazing what sweat will do stored away. I opened my bread bin today, couldn't even toast it and scrape it!
    The green bits, the body needs. You should have just woofed it and boosted your immune system

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •