closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Understated beaters

Craftsman

Understated beaters

I've been looking for a reasonably priced (by human, rather than WIS standards!) watch for my other half to wear, and possibly an alternate beater to the Casio AE-1000W I currently use when I'm climbing or going to sketcher locales.

It seems that G-Shocks are a popular beater choice, but I was pretty impressed by this little number from Casio - 40mm diameter, 7mm thick, clean design, sapphire crystal(!), leather strap and £75 (actually got it for around £55 when Amazon dropped the price of this colour model briefly). It's the catch-ily named LTP-E138L-1AEF.

The only downsides I can see are a complete lack of luminescence and a 30m water resistance (pop-on back), which probably doesn't matter given it's on a leather strap.

I'm used to wearing much thicker watches, so it feels unusually thin on my wrist, but my girlfriend likes it, and the more restrained proportions wears well for her.

I'd be interested to see what other folk wear as beaters, especially if they're on something other than resin or leather straps which tend to be unpleasant when the weather warms up and don't like getting dunked in water.

Last edited by threescoops; 11th July 2018 at 14:25. Reason: Included downsides.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My beater stays on for everyday life, work , shooting,DIY etc.

Master
    ^^^^try Head and Shoulders
    I'm all seriousness it's good to see Rolex worn rather than cosseted although I'd have to admit to wearing a Gshock for DIY/biking/outdoors duties as it just seems sensible!
    Last edited by deepreddave; 11th July 2018 at 12:08.

Master
    Garmin Fenix 5 for me when I'm not wearing my 'good' watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Heh, yes, I have done the same with my GMT-II for the last 15 years or so, but it's picked up a lot of fairly gnarly scrapes, particular on the bracelet, and I figured I'd give it a little bit of a reprieve, especially after I was reminded how expensive a service/polish or replacement might be!

I also got my chunky Casio for a trip to Port of Spain and Georgetown, where wearing something like a Rolex is definitely not advised.

It's hard to photograph scratches, but the marks on and around the clasp stand out pretty well...

Master
    My beater for work and other rough stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    I've had an old Seiko skx033 for about 15 years now and that's taken absolutely everything from mountains, oceans, diy, gardening, stag do's and sport. All it has to show for it is a faded bezel that's slightly worn at the edges and a tiny ding to the case.

For a long time the only watch I owned was one of those albeit not covered in paint, then I stumbled across this blo##y forum and I now seem to have a few to choose from, daft as it seems this cost me literally bugger all and yet I've not taken it off for a week.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Cool pic Mike!

This for me.

Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    This is my daily beater, Citizen ecodrive 200m diver, just keeps ticking on, and cheap enough not to worry about picking up any scratches or damage.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    BTW, Mike, do you ever have problems with sand getting in the bezel?
    When swimming in the Suriname river, which is still a bit salty and full of very fine sand, my bezel really needs a good rinse!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    It seems that G-Shocks are a popular beater choice, but I was pretty impressed by this little number from Casio - 40mm diameter, 7mm thick, clean design, sapphire crystal(!), leather strap and £75 (actually got it for around £55 when Amazon dropped the price of this colour model briefly). It's the catch-ily named LTP-E138L-1AEF.
    Is it solar? If not, I'd half expect it to be even cheaper than that. Or does the sapphire crystal make that much of a difference?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    Is it solar? If not, I'd half expect it to be even cheaper than that. Or does the sapphire crystal make that much of a difference?
    It's a traditional quartz, 3 year battery life. I guess sapphire and a leather strap will add a wee bit to the cost (pretty sure I saw a thread on here that pointed at a supplier of sapphire crystals in the range of £10-25 retail), the rest is probably down to where Casio want to place it relative to other models.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    BTW, Mike, do you ever have problems with sand getting in the bezel?
    When swimming in the Suriname river, which is still a bit salty and full of very fine sand, my bezel really needs a good rinse!
    Not so much sand Richard but I get seabed silt under it or drill mud which sets hard so now and again I pop the bezel off (with Leatherman blade) and scrape/clean out.

mike

Blog Entries
    Not so much sand Richard but I get seabed silt under it or drill mud which sets hard so now and again I pop the bezel off (with Leatherman blade) and scrape/clean out.

mike
    Cheers Mike, that will freak a few on here out I guess ;)
    But, Rolex still= toolwatch in my book.

My daily grind, before and after a ground up rebuild and the inclusion of a sapphire by Brendan.

Citizen NY2300-09L

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    My daily grind, before and after a ground up rebuild and the inclusion of a sapphire by Brendan.

Citizen NY2300-09L
    Blimey! What did you do to the poor watch in the first place? New crystal looks good.

Master
    Great pictures, I love to see Watches actually getting used.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    Blimey! What did you do to the poor watch in the first place? New crystal looks good.
    I'm a builder....it gets a fair bit of stick with no nonsense, it's been brilliant.

Craftsman
    I’ve posted this pic plenty of times before but it’s still going strong.
    £40 Citizen Eco Drive from Argos 15 years ago. I just can’t kill it!

It’s now semi retired as daily duties have been taken up by my SKX009

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a few beaters but the regular used to be the Traser on the left, really lightweight at 40g, now its the Marathon, a touch heavier at 152g.

These are my main beaters - £16 and £27 respectively. They are 200m and 100m WR respectively.

What's not to like?

I have a number of Seikos also sourced of the Bay that I use as beaters. I get almost as much fun from finding those as I do "nicer" watches.

Craftsman
    Another vote for the "R-word".
    Their watches may no be the most attractive (IMHO anything but) but my 17000 beater of the last thirty years has proved itself to be robust to the point of being considered bomb-proof.
    For everyday wear I generally prefer something else, but for anything arduous on it goes.
    It has survived foundries, steel mills, shooting, gardening, skiing "faux pas", and motor sport "errors of judgement" aplenty.
    Thoroughly worthy . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Another vote for the "R-word".
    Their watches may no be the most attractive (IMHO anything but) but my 17000 beater of the last thirty years has proved itself to be robust to the point of being considered bomb-proof.
    For everyday wear I generally prefer something else, but for anything arduous on it goes.
    It has survived foundries, steel mills, shooting, gardening, skiing "faux pas", and motor sport "errors of judgement" aplenty.
    Thoroughly worthy . . . . .

I love the OQ and I think they look thoroughly retro - I've been after one for about 7 years but can't seem to pull the trigger on a quartz with that price tag!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Marathon Navigator - not sure it's right for a lady, but it's light and comfortable to wear. Plus the lume is a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.