closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Off Topic - Add banners using IoS

Off Topic - Add banners using IoS

Around a week ago I started seeing irritating and quite large adverts appearing at the top of the TZ page when using my Ipad or IPhone - nothing like it when using my PC or Mac so looks like a mobile setting issue. Has anybody else come across this and rectified it, I've tried everything that I can think of to remove them, at the moment its driving me a bit bananas!

Thanks Keith

Bizarrely there was an ad on the first page, but not on the page of your post, but again as I am composing this reply. On my iPhone most of the adverts are very small, and I instantly flick the screen down to get to the interesting bits of the forum. I haven’t changed any settings, but barely notice them at all.

Update: On returning to this page, again no advert?

Not encountered any ads while browsing TZ with iOS or with TapTalk TZ-UK app, but have of course on MacBook and PC. Personally, I don't mind them as I realise that Eddie needs the revenue from them to outset the running costs of the site. Ads are more preferable than a subscription in my opinion from both the perspectives of site and users.

Quote Originally Posted by MintG View Post
    Not encountered any ads while browsing TZ with iOS or with TapTalk TZ-UK app, but have of course on MacBook and PC. Personally, I don't mind them as I realise that Eddie needs the revenue from them to outset the running costs of the site. Ads are more preferable than a subscription in my opinion from both the perspectives of site and users.
    I have no objection to Eddie using adds if that is what is behind it

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    I have no objection to Eddie using adds if that is what is behind it

Hi Keith, there have been a number of threads on this and Eddie's explained he's trialled some advertising to meet the costs of running the forum.

If it were solely Eddie benefiting from the ads, I too would have no objection but once the doors are opened to the advertisers, your browsing habits are an open book.

If you carefully read the contents in the cookie approval pop up - clicking "Show Purposes" rather than that nice, large green "I accept" button, you'll see a number of sections requesting your approval (thank you EU for GDPR) to collect a lot of information and to use it for further advertising.

There are five sections:
    Information storage and access: - cookie access, computer & browser details etc.
    Personalisation:
    Ad selection, delivery and reporting:
    Content selection, delivery, reporting:
    Measurement:

Here's the number of companies that will collect your information in each section, if you just click the accept button.
    Information storage and access: 252
    Personalisation Companies - 202
    Ad selection, delivery and reporting - 187
    Content Selection, delivery reporting -123
    Measurement: - 134

Each of these sections can be switched off individually, and I have done so. I also make use of ad-blockers and privacy filters such as PrivacyBadger.

If anyone has already clicked the "I accept" button and would rather not have all those companies have their browsing habits, delete your cookies and login back in to TZUK and you'll see the pop up.

I fully understand why Eddie has set this up and ads may not bother many members, but personally I'd rather support the forum by purchasing TF watches and accessories.