timefactors watches
Results 1 to 40 of 40

Thread: BLNR in the window - is that rare?

  1. #1
    Master mr noble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    2,699

    BLNR in the window - is that rare?

    Just popped into an AD in Spain and they have a new BLNR At list (€8250)

    Is that not a model that should be snapped up immediately??

    I wanted the new GMT but my wife prefers the Blue/Black. (They don’t have a new GMT by the way)

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,590
    Yes it should be snapped up immediately.

  3. #3
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    95
    Yes, it's quite hard to get at the moment and it's a nice watch to live with, a bit different to most that you see.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,720
    Get back in there!

  5. #5
    Apprentice WhopperSenior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Herts UK
    Posts
    37
    They are really great watches. Much better in person that in pictures in my opinion.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Staffs.
    Posts
    2,182
    Buy it. I did the same in Madeira in Easter, paid Euro list which is about £7.5k. Its not a risk if you don't bond with it.

  7. #7
    Craftsman MintG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Just popped into an AD in Spain and they have a new BLNR At list (€8250)

    Is that not a model that should be snapped up immediately??
    Yes, Yes, Yes!!!

    Get yourself back into that AD and throw down your debit card onto the counter and buy it before someone else.

  8. #8
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    London / Surrey
    Posts
    53
    Feel free to PM the name of the AD so I can go and buy it for me :)

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, England, or somewhere else
    Posts
    6,055
    Blog Entries
    16
    That is a BUY!!!

  10. #10
    As said - get it bought...

    ... unless it's already reserved and just on display to draw customers in - a sneaky, but not unheard of, AD move if other threads are to be observed.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    As said - get it bought...

    ... unless it's already reserved and just on display to draw customers in - a sneaky, but not unheard of, AD move if other threads are to be observed.
    Dealers can be sneaky? Now I'm just disappointed in them. ;-)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Dealers can be sneaky? Now I'm just disappointed in them. ;-)
    Haha! Don't be disappointed - if you're daft enough to put your head in a crocodiles mouth it's in the animals nature to bite you. :)

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Haha! Don't be disappointed - if you're daft enough to put your head in a crocodiles mouth it's in the animals nature to bite you. :)
    That reminds me of a joke, but it's too rude to tell.

  14. #14
    Journeyman Byron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    217
    ...more importantly OP, did you go back and buy it?

  15. #15
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    11,183
    Its a long way to go back to get the warranty card in a years time!
    Or are Spanish ADs not as weird as ours?
    Cheers..
    Jase

  16. #16
    Master AM94's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Mt. Crumpit
    Posts
    3,919
    In Italy last year, on one of the lakes, I walked into a Rolex AD and asked if they had a ceramic SS Daytona. The answer was, of course, no (but in Italian )

    ...however, they were quick to offer a BLNR, DSSD D-Blue and all the Sub options.

    It would appear they either get better stock than the U.K. or there is less demand?

  17. #17
    Master mr noble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    2,699
    They were quite surprised when I said that in the UK some dealers keep the warranty card!

    It seems they can get a BLNR for you “within a month” if you want one.

    The watch was on my wrist, sized perfectly and ready to go. I decided to take my wife for a coffee, while we decided if it was a watch I really wanted and had a snaky read of your messages on here, to make sure it was a no brainier. (I’ve been out of the loop for a while when it comes to new BLNRs) ......went back to buy it and the place had shut 5 mins earlier for their siesta! FFS!!

    Sadly, hanging about for 3 hours in San Sebastián would have meant missing the England game at the Chateau we’re now staying at to the north of Bordeaux.

    Oh well, you live and learn! Apparently people take a dim view of profiteering on here anyway.

    Free trip to San Seb for anyone that cares to call them and reserve it!!

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,720
    He who hesitates....

  19. #19
    Craftsman TimeThoughts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    871
    Recently, an AD I have dealt with in the past had a 126600 for a few weeks in their window that was awaiting collection.

    Maybe it was a similar case.

  20. #20
    Journeyman welshmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Newport
    Posts
    57
    I was in Fuerteventura at Easter and one of the stores in my resort had a decent selection so when I enquired about a blnr he said he had one in the following Monday and was happy to reserve it. Sadly I had to fly home before then :(

    Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    He who hesitates....
    Yep, I think he will regret that one for a while....

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    In Italy last year, on one of the lakes, I walked into a Rolex AD and asked if they had a ceramic SS Daytona. The answer was, of course, no (but in Italian )

    ...however, they were quick to offer a BLNR, DSSD D-Blue and all the Sub options.

    It would appear they either get better stock than the U.K. or there is less demand?
    Euro RRP is higher England is the cheapest place in Europe to buy Rolex

  23. #23
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Birmingham & Brussels
    Posts
    91
    Defiantly rare. I never see anything desirable in Brussels

  24. #24
    The AD staff will be amazed a Brit walked away from a BLNR in the case.

  25. #25
    Master mr noble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    The AD staff will be amazed a Brit walked away from a BLNR in the case.

    Not necessarily.

    Even if I was purely in it for a profit. It was £7300 by direct fx, so if my card/bank charged a bit more and had a fee on top it may have cost me £7600 quite easily. And what would I have flipped it for on here? Maybe £8k without getting ribbed for profiteering?

    That’s not a great banker given that I’d have wanted to wear it a bit and run the risk of whacking it on a gate post and ending up with a recase and £1500 loss.

    So I doubt I’ll be regretting it for a minute, let alone a while.

  26. #26
    Master mr noble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    2,699
    Thought I’ll add....I certainly would have bought it if the bloody place hadn’t closed for a sleep at 13:00!!

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Staffs.
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Not necessarily.

    Even if I was purely in it for a profit. It was £7300 by direct fx, so if my card/bank charged a bit more and had a fee on top it may have cost me £7600 quite easily. And what would I have flipped it for on here? Maybe £8k without getting ribbed for profiteering?.
    , on the contrary. I got slated for offering a fully stickered BLNR on SC for £7200. That was bought overseas, at a much higher price than U.K. RRP, plus credit card fees. If you didn’t want it yourself, you will have saved yourself a little SC thread-shitting by the usual suspects.

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    351
    Your heart was not in it so no worries at "losing out". If you were into it then you would have bought there and then. Many on here will say "why didn't you buy it" but ignore that.

  29. #29
    You can't miss what you don't have.

  30. #30
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor the Engine View Post
    You can't miss what you don't have.
    How else are you going to miss it?

  31. #31
    Master Tokyo Tokei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Laniakea Suburbs
    Posts
    4,744
    From my local toaster/toys/liquor/sunglasses/toiletries/DIY store, taken today:



    BLNR, white Daytona, lots of Sports Rolex. Entirely normal. This is a general chain store. Price in your currency depends on the exchange rate of course, which recently hasn't been good for the pound as discussed ad nauseam. Also note, restricted sales practices (aka "authorised" dealers) are not allowed in Japan. So the market price prevails, whatever it may be.

  32. #32
    Journeyman Bluehase284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    132
    So Rolex Professional models are plentiful in Japan?

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    So Rolex Professional models are plentiful in Japan?
    It looks like it but the BLNR is the equivalent of £9k and the Daytona on the top row is £17k!

  34. #34
    Journeyman Bluehase284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    132
    Watchfinder pricing....

  35. #35
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    13,926
    Hold the front page!

    Twitcher spots Rolex in Spain, brings local traffic to a halt!
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  36. #36
    are there any official Rolex ADs in Japan or they are all grey market dealers ?

    Rolex as a company does it supply Japan ‘officially’ ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    .....Also note, restricted sales practices (aka "authorised" dealers) are not allowed in Japan. So the market price prevails, whatever it may be.

  37. #37
    Master Tokyo Tokei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Laniakea Suburbs
    Posts
    4,744
    Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    are there any official Rolex ADs in Japan or they are all grey market dealers ?

    Rolex as a company does it supply Japan ‘officially’ ?
    It's a good question and frequently misunderstood by those who accept the common UK practice.

    You can buy from a Rolex "authorised" dealer in Japan in which case your guarantee will be backed by Rolex, or from a standard dealer in which case your guarantee will be with that shop. Most of the big bricks-and-mortar dealers in Japan are the latter, for all brands including the high end ones, and have their own servicing departments and access to parts. They would not be called "grey". They are called "shops".

    The price is whatever the market will bear, and shops compete on price and service - it is not unusual for a shop to offer a 5, 10 or even 20-year guarantee on a Rolex for example. You take your choice, just like buying a car or a spoon or some other product in the UK. The idea that "only" a manufacturer-authorised outlet is appropriate is not understood. Authorised for what? By whom? And why? Watches are not firearms nor medicine. It is just a restricted sales practice. The Swiss had a go at enforcing this years ago, but were rebuffed in court.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    The idea that "only" a manufacturer-authorised outlet is appropriate is not understood. Authorised for what? By whom? And why? Watches are not firearms nor medicine. It is just a restricted sales practice. The Swiss had a go at enforcing this years ago, but were rebuffed in court.
    The Japanese have a point.

  39. #39
    So in Japan Rolex legally have to supply the greys? Sounds crazy, do they have to supply at the same price as they would charge an AD or can they charge an inflated wholesale price?

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,036
    Out of all my watches, BLNR is the only constant in my rotations. If I had to choose one, I think it would be it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •