closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Much Maligned Rolex Cellini Thread...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    They're not for me as I have no use for dress(y) watches, but someone has a vintage Cellini in gold with a hobnail dial that pops up occasionally in the Friday thread and I often admire it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I know some Herbert will accuse me of being some sort of old relic but not one of the watches shown above could be described as a dress watch.

Firstly, strictly speaking, you should wear a pocket watch at a black tie event. However in this day and age, people do wear wrist watches but really it should be a slim gold watch, black face with just hour and minute hands and a black leather strap.

Black tie is a uniform, you are expected to comply with it. In order words, wear what is expected, not what you want.

Rant over.
    I'm not even sure if that etiquette still exhists today...even at the ambassadors reception where he spoils everyone. I'd be interested to know at which formal events these days it would remotely matter.
    Last edited by Christian; 5th October 2020 at 12:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm not even sure if that etiquette still exhists today...even at the ambassadors reception where he spoils everyone. I'd be interested to know at which formal events these days it would remotely matter.
    There was a time when it just happened but it does seem to becoming to becoming more relaxed. The last event I went to, some guys took their jackets off when having the dinner which would have had them ejected a few years ago. I dare say black tie won't even exist in ten years from now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    They're not for me as I have no use for dress(y) watches, but someone has a vintage Cellini in gold with a hobnail dial that pops up occasionally in the Friday thread and I often admire it.
    Was it like this? (Picture from net) I managed to get a vintage gold Cellini with a wood dial which is my dress watch. I think the Cellinis are very underrated.