timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Reds and Greens??

Craftsman

Reds and Greens??

I wonder if someone could give a little advice with an issue we had with my wife's camera today. The camera is a Canon T7i with a Tamron 16-300mm lens both were purchased new at Christmas and have had very little use. UV filter fitted to lens.

After a trip out today we transferred the photo's to the computer and noticed that a lot of them came out with blurry red/green aura. My wife has noticed this issue is only with the photo's that were taken without using the zoom on the lens. Any use of the zoom seems to correct the issue.

Here are three, first one seems okay, second bad red/green and the third came out much better. The camera was on auto with flash off mode.

Last edited by firefoxed; 10th July 2018 at 19:45.

No idea what would cause this I'm afraid, but it's certainly strange. I doubt it's the lens or the sensor, so something in the processor maybe?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Looks like CA (Chromatic Aberration), AKA fringing. This may be of interest https://photographylife.com/what-is-...tic-aberration

Looks like a 3D effect. Donít suppose there is such a setting?

Craftsman
    A couple more

Unzoomed

Zoomed

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    No idea what would cause this I'm afraid, but it's certainly strange. I doubt it's the lens or the sensor, so something in the processor maybe?

R
    I am hoping it is nothing that needs fixing, we only purchased them both in the US at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Looks like CA (Chromatic Aberration), AKA fringing. This may be of interest https://photographylife.com/what-is-...tic-aberration

That looks very very similar, wifey off having a read thank you for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Looks like a 3D effect. Donít suppose there is such a setting?

That nearly describes how it looks but I don't believe this camera has a 3D setting, also the camera was on auto all day.

CA is relatively easy to correct in software. Check out Canon DPP to see if your camera is compatible, it's a free download but may have been provided with your camera.

A quick search and a review mentions "plentiful aberrations". The lens is going to struggle in the conditions in your photographs, but as Bob says they can be dealt with when processing.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/tam...vc-pzd-macro/4
    Nigel

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    CA is relatively easy to correct in software. Check out Canon DPP to see if your camera is compatible, it's a free download but may have been provided with your camera.
    Camera is compatible and software downloaded, thank you very much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    A quick search and a review mentions "plentiful aberrations". The lens is going to struggle in the conditions in your photographs, but as Bob says they can be dealt with when processing.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/tam...vc-pzd-macro/4

Nigel

My wife was looking for a one lens option for walking about while using a Peak Design strap without carrying a bag. So I guess CA is the drawback and will require a little effort to fix photo's.

My wife was looking for a one lens option for walking about while using a Peak Design strap without carrying a bag. So I guess CA is the drawback and will require a little effort to fix photo's.[/QUOTE]

There is always compromise, and carrying less kit hopefully increases the desire to take the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by firefoxed View Post
    Camera is compatible and software downloaded, thank you very much for your help.
    My wife was looking for a one lens option for walking about while using a Peak Design strap without carrying a bag. So I guess CA is the drawback and will require a little effort to fix photo's.
    Pleased to have helped. Your CA problem has at least made you ask about it and start learning about light. I had a Tamron 28-300VC as my first lens when I started out and it did me well until I realised I needed something wider. It was a handy all rounder, I'd recommend a tripod though.
    Last edited by magirus; 10th July 2018 at 23:09.

Doesn't the lens have to be compatible with software (too)?

The CA does look really bad but guess the downside of such a wide zoom range.