closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SKX009J Why you should buy the japanese version

SKX009J Why you should buy the japanese version

Hi guys!

My new video is up! This is my review of the skx009j and my thought on why we should buy the Japanese version.

I hope you like it!

Thank you!!
    Marco

Cool video, Marco. Iscritto! Thanks for sharing.

My J version from 2015 recently died so I have just replaced it with a K version on a red and navy nato. Good to see that second hand moving again. Enjoyed the video.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnthemull View Post
    My J version from 2015 recently died so I have just replaced it with a K version on a red and navy nato. Good to see that second hand moving again. Enjoyed the video.
    I bought my 009J new in 2012 and was one of many watches so rarely worn. Was always diabolical for accuracy, I stuck it on the timegrapher last year and it was running like a turd. I serviced it and sold it.

I’m done with new auto Seiko’s, my old 6309’s run so much better when I’ve serviced them. I serviced my 62MAS last year and it runs way better than any modern Seiko I’ve had and that’s 51 years old.
    Last edited by jameswrx; 11th July 2018 at 07:53.

Great video Marco. You relaxed and comfortable presenting. Winner.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Iconic, rugged, attractive, masculine and on the best bracelet.

Enthusiastic review.

Thank you guys! Your words of appreciation makes me very proud! :D

I'm trying my best to deliver a quality and original video.

I know it's still early stages but if anyone wants to be part of this adventure just send me a pm. If you want to talk about your experiences and your watches I'm happy to travel and we could shoot a nice video! :D

Thank you for your time!
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I bought my 009J new in 2012 and was one of many watches so rarely worn. Was always diabolical for accuracy, I stuck it on the timegrapher last year and it was running like a turd. I serviced it and sold it.

I’m done with new auto Seiko’s, my old 6309’s run so much better when I’ve serviced them. I serviced my 62MAS last year and it runs way better than any modern Seiko I’ve had and that’s 51 years old.
    It's always a source of disappointment, that Seiko seemingly do not regulate their movements prior to shipping, certainly not at the 6R15 and below level, possibly higher up the calibre ladder too. Having spent a goodly sum on a Shogun, I was disappointed to see that it was way off but thankfully a trip to Duncan (Cannop) sorted it and it's now running splendidly.

It's a shame that Seiko don't take the time to regulate and improve their already good reputation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    It's always a source of disappointment, that Seiko seemingly do not regulate their movements prior to shipping, certainly not at the 6R15 and below level, possibly higher up the calibre ladder too. Having spent a goodly sum on a Shogun, I was disappointed to see that it was way off but thankfully a trip to Duncan (Cannop) sorted it and it's now running splendidly.

It's a shame that Seiko don't take the time to regulate and improve their already good reputation.
    This justified me buying a timegrapher. I've had lots of Seiko fun ever since. Got the 009 from -35 a day to +3. Took about an hour but very satisfying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

Well, you certainly seem unlucky David, or I must be incredibly lucky, all my 6r15 powered watches are and have been running great, never more than 10sec/day and often better. I won't go any lower in Seiko calibers.

My oldest 6r15, maybe next year for a service, but still running at 5sec/day, so maybe not ;)

Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I like your simple reasoning on buying the J version. For what it's worth, either version is hard to find in Japan. Both seem to be produced largely for export (so the J is not strictly "JDM" ).

On accuracy... well the 7s isn't built for ultimate fineness but longevity, low service requirements and of course, moderate cost and (related) simple assembly. The 4R and 6R movements are very closely based off the 7s (see here for a comparison ... https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/seik...e-7s2-t48.html ) and aren't much (if at all) superior in accuracy. However, they do hand wind and this is I think, relevant to the largely WIS crowd who buy them. I've owned an embarrassing number of 7s-based Seikos and have found all of them within spec. That is, unless they were not wound fully!

I do suspect that many a WIS with a few watches may pick up their 7s-based Seiko from the box, give it a quick shake until the second hand moves, and then wear it. Fair enough, but just like every other mechanical watch, the amplitude will be poor and the timekeeping erratic until well wound. I have confirmed this (quite obvious) fact with a timegrapher.

Anyway, the SKX is a fine classic all in-house watch from a storied and innovative manufacture and available at a very reasonable price. At a time when many are complaining about the cost of watches from other makers, it is a great option to have.

Banned
    Great short review and your right about paying the extra £20 for the j version . Totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I like your simple reasoning on buying the J version. For what it's worth, either version is hard to find in Japan. Both seem to be produced largely for export (so the J is not strictly "JDM" ).

On accuracy... well the 7s isn't built for ultimate fineness but longevity, low service requirements and of course, moderate cost and (related) simple assembly. The 4R and 6R movements are very closely based off the 7s (see here for a comparison ... https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/seik...e-7s2-t48.html ) and aren't much (if at all) superior in accuracy. However, they do hand wind and this is I think, relevant to the largely WIS crowd who buy them. I've owned an embarrassing number of 7s-based Seikos and have found all of them within spec. That is, unless they were not wound fully!

I do suspect that many a WIS with a few watches may pick up their 7s-based Seiko from the box, give it a quick shake until the second hand moves, and then wear it. Fair enough, but just like every other mechanical watch, the amplitude will be poor and the timekeeping erratic until well wound. I have confirmed this (quite obvious) fact with a timegrapher.

Anyway, the SKX is a fine classic all in-house watch from a storied and innovative manufacture and available at a very reasonable price. At a time when many are complaining about the cost of watches from other makers, it is a great option to have.
    The 6r15 does have the Spron balance though, just like the GS ;)

I think the SPRON is the mainspring hence the increased power reserve and potentially more stable power delivery as it gets unwound, certainly positive for accuracy! These are all solid and reliable movements, which I find as admirable (in a different way) as a finely finished GS or Swiss movement produced at much higher cost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I think the SPRON is the mainspring hence the increased power reserve and potentially more stable power delivery as it gets unwound, certainly positive for accuracy! These are all solid and reliable movements, which I find as admirable (in a different way) as a finely finished GS or Swiss movement produced at much higher cost.
    Ah, to each his/her own, the longer you are in this hobby the more you settle with a watch that suits you I guess.

Not all that long ago I wouldn't have thought about wearing quartzand look at me now...

I personally own 2 SKX009J and I have to say I didn't have much problem about time keeping... Said that I have to highlight how in the end these are mass produced watches and I can understand that there could be a difference in quality about movement and about finishing of the case. Even on my two SKX I have to admit there is a substantial difference in the quality of polishing, they are both beautiful but one of them looks like a 1000£ watch. I think if someone has a bad experience with this watches it's unlucky... it has to happen to someone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankan87 View Post
    I personally own 2 SKX009J
    Why two?

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Why two?
    I went running to work and I had put the watch in my backpack and unfortunately it keept banghing on a bottle of parfume and it got ruined :/ I actually managed to open it and understand what was the issue and I fix it, but the case is a bit ruined so soon I'll try to mod this one. Meanwhile I really loved the watch and I wanted a crisp new one and luckly I got a superb example!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Why two?
    I have two SKX007's one on a Jubilee bracelet and one that either wears a Rubber or leather strap.

Master
    I feel underprivileged having only one.... ;-)

I have a six and nine. 007 on rubber and 009 on jubilee and can swap around these. If they are not on Some NATO or Bonetto strap. Only missing leather I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bravo Marco!

Blog Entries

SKX009J Why you should buy the japanese version

Hi Marco , nice review and of a great watch .I’ve had 6 skx in the last couple of years. Four 007s 3 x k versions and 1 x j version and two 009’s - one k and one j.

I swear though I’ve scrutinised them left, right and center and this myth the k is less superior to the j needs to be dispelled . I found zero difference in quality or timekeeping. Apart from the subtle difference in wording on the dial - no discernible difference . But people still attest the brushing is nicer on the j version . I don’t -i found some K versions to look better finished . I think it depends on the automatons on the day !

The factory’s that produce the k version outside Japan are Seikos people / robots . They don’t do voodoo in Japan to make it better for the j .

I probably seem like I’m raining on parades here but I love these watches dearly and this debate has been discussed ad-nauseous ! I have to agree with my handling and instinct that they are one and the same watch only produced in geographically different parts of the world .

Cheeky iPhone shot ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 11th July 2018 at 21:06.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Hi Marco , nice review and of a great watch .I’ve had 6 skx in the last couple of years. Four 007s 3 x k versions and 1 x j version and two 009’s - one k and one j.

I swear though I’ve scrutinised them left, right and center and this myth the k is less superior to the j needs to be dispelled . I found zero difference in quality or timekeeping. Apart from the subtle difference in wording on the dial - no discernible difference . But people still attest the brushing is nicer on the j version . I don’t -i found some K versions to look better finished . I think it depends on the automatons on the day !

The factory’s that produce the k version outside Japan are Seikos people / robots . They don’t do voodoo in Japan to make it better for the j .

I probably seem like I’m raining on parades here but I love these watches dearly and this debate has been discussed ad-nauseous ! I have to agree with my handling and instinct that they are one and the same watch only produced in geographically different parts of the world .

Cheeky iPhone shot ^
    I'm sure that no matter where it's produced... they produce so many that now and then it's normal that they could fail in quality.
    As all the mass produced things there must be mistakes. How many times people has problems with phones, cameras, computers, cars ect. etc. they just send them back and get it fix or replaced.
    Probably we as watch lovers are so emotionally bonded with our purchases that we expect perfection at all times.

Thank you for watching the video!

I very much doubt there's any difference in quality whatsoever between the J and K versions, but I had no hesitation paying slightly more for my J version of the 009, largely for the reasons put forward by Marco in his video. I also have a slight aesthetic preference for the addition of the '21 Jewels' line of text in white on the face of the dial.

Great watches whether J or K variants and an unbelievable bargain at the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankan87 View Post
    Hi guys!

My new video is up! This is my review of the skx009j and my thought on why we should buy the Japanese version.

I hope you like it!

Thank you!!
    Marco
    Hi Marco, I like the presenting style and your enthusiasm for the watch but felt your review was a little light on the facts. You mentioned 'Why you should buy the japanese version' but I'm still unsure as to why over a non-jap version, other than it's a Japanese watch so buy one from Japan...

Is the watch better finished, does it have a different movement, is time keeping better, is the warranty better, or are there any improvements in design, packaging, service, or manufacturing facility?

I'm warming to Seiko divers but still a complete novice on the brand, it's history and their many models.

I recall reading a reasonably convincing explanation that indicated the J and K watches were made on exactly the same production lines outwith Japan.

The distinction between two designations being that due to a certain Japanese rule, if the factory supervisor on duty is Japanese then the watch may be regarded as 'made in Japan'. The same production line with a Malay supervisor = not made in Japan.

It would explain why there's no difference between the two apart from the writing on the dial.