closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Which cabrio?

Looks good. Somewhere I have a 'Mullet Rock' cassette that's dying out to be played in that tape deck!
    You can live in your car but you can't drive your house.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Looks good. Somewhere I have a 'Mullet Rock' cassette that's dying out to be played in that tape deck!
    I was rather chuffed to find an OEM cassette/CD player mounted.
    Unfortunately not many cassette left here after several house moves since CD players.

The MR2 has a relatively stark, ´dated´ look as it left the showroom floor; that was not universally appreciated.
    I like it a lot and the dash/interior not enveloping the inhabitants makes that the interior of those small cabrio is not the least cramped.

Earlier I took the sunvisors out and that psychlogically did wonders as the window frame is now 5 cm further away and appears less massive.
    Taking out the carpet and spongy stuff in the footwells has the same effect. It created an impression of more space. It is rather surprising how much interior space is gained: At either side of the seating space it is about 2 cm. On the floor carpet and foam are 5cm. replaced by 5mm.
    I first used the floor matt as atemplate for an old piece of silicon stuff. Even though I did not cut tight, it was 10cm. narrow. To start with, the carpet does not cling to the sides and it also takes a short cut, does not crease all the way into the corners but flows more smoot between the various planes. With all that metal visually stretching further, it really creates a more spacious impression.

It also looks, what... ís more stark so enhancing the functional feel of it. I will have another look for cassettes. I múst have some left dating back 35 years or so. Would massively add to the nostalgic feel of the car.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Looks good.
    I am amazed by the space, impression of space, gained. I mention both because though the carpet takes up a surprising lot of space, the surfaces now extending into de corners enhances an impression of space.
    I am positively surprised.
    To anyone who ever though about it I say go for it. Any weight gained is just a free bonus.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Cool Just becasue I líke it

The starker look imo fits really well with starkish retro dash design:

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    The starker look imo fits really well with starkish retro dash design:

I never picked up that it was an Auto.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I never picked up that it was an Auto.
    Strictly speaking it is not.
    It does not automatically change gears.
    It only operates the clutch itself.
    Hence Toyota dubbed it Sequential MANUAL Transmission.

I lóve it and it is pure genius but so devillishly complicated that I would have chosen the normal clutch one if I had known.
    Early eighties I made one myself with a simple servo on the clutch cable operated by a micro-switch on the gear lever so had no idea it would be so high tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Strictly speaking it is not.
    It does not automatically change gears.
    It only operates the clutch itself.
    Hence Toyota dubbed it Sequential MANUAL Transmission.

I lóve it and it is pure genius but so devillishly complicated that I would have chosen the normal clutch one if I had known.
    Early eighties I made one myself with a simple servo on the clutch cable operated by a micro-switch on the gear lever so had no idea it would be so high tech.
    Is there a weight penalty?

I just got shot of a BMW with a dual clutch box, it is supposed to change gears for you in the same way, it was rubbish

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Is there a weight penalty?

I just got shot of a BMW with a dual clutch box, it is supposed to change gears for you in the same way, it was rubbish
    I have found contradicting info on the weight but iyt cannot be more than a few kilos for just the hydraulic pump as that is the only additional part whereas the gear linkage and clutch able have been deleted.

The double clutch sytems are fundamentally different as those have the box always in twó gears and switch form one to the other by operating both clutches.
    The Toyota system is much more conventional; really just electronically/hydraulically operating the very same clutch as the foot operated one.
    The double cutch system have the goal to make gear changes near instantly. The downside is a weight penalty ánd complication. It is definitively even more complicated than the Toyota SMT.
    The Toyota solution is not lightningly fast but apart from for drag racing or track days neither of which I want, it is not a handicap imo.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    With the seats nderway and just about everything else marked ´done´ on the list, the crossed out Lexan side window are suddenly at the top :-O

Measured the glass and it is about 0.7 m2 together, thus potentially some 4 (max. 5) kilos there...

Please PLEASE tell me again why not ;-)

Looking at the door parts drawing it woúld be possible to do away with the regulator mechanism and ´replace´ it with a recycled safety belt so still have an up or down window.

Last edited by Huertecilla; 15th June 2019 at 23:27.

I totally see you in one of these P

Zee LINKY
    ICYMI: Millions of women all over the world dressed in PussyHats and oversized Vagina costumes took to the streets today to protest against war with Iran.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I totally see you in one of these P

Ahhh overlooking the obvious; my primairy hobby:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Was féd up with it.

Took the rear view mirror out.
    It sits in the middle of my road view; a blind spot to the right in front. When stopped for a cross road, an oncoming car moves thus is/becomes visible. When I am nn the move however, cars can be covered for longer/too long, especially when going round corners. I am constantly moving my head to look around the mirror. Since I have two perfectly good side mirrors, I consider a bit less rear view of minor importance than impared vison at the front.

I have left the glued button in for the moment untill I am clear about what the periodic inspection rules are.

Oh and it weighs 300 grams.