closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which cabrio?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Next on the list are two:

Fínally figured out how to take the driver´s one out: Two torx screws though holes under the steering wheel!
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The DIY lighterweight muffler is not taking the desired shape just yet and of significantly lighter wheels I am only dreaming too so time to value the little things:

Scored more than a kilo by changing the EVAP and tank breather/charcoal canister. Lines and canister out, one way vacuum valve in.
    Scored just under another one by replacing the ashtray/lighter combo with a voltmeter and usb port.
    Right, I value those two marginal gains so? Bring on the big ones!!

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I've just noticed the matte black bonnet. As much as I like that, shouldn't the engine cover be matte black?! You're about to tell me it already is...

Are the red stripes in homage to the ones from the headlights back on the old 356 etc racers in the 1950s?
    You can live in your car but you can't drive your house.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I've just noticed the matte black bonnet. As much as I like that, shouldn't the engine cover be matte black?! You're about to tell me it already is...

Are the red stripes in homage to the ones from the headlights back on the old 356 etc racers in the 1950s?
    Well, the bonnet was/is painted non-gloss black to avoid the glare off it blinding the driver and it works. So that is regardless of where the engine is. The rear lid stays the way it is. I did remove the drip tray to improve ventilation and the DIY muffler should improve that a lot too.

The red stripes are indeed homage to the 550 Spyder. Could have been blue, yellow, green as it was to distinguish the different cars during primairily the Le Mans 24H. I choose red matching the calipers.
    Hunting for lightweight wheels and depending on which ones they may go on in the same red. Imo the best looking color for the wheels depends só much on the design. I positively swoon over Enkei RPF1 but.... the factory silver for the 15" is áwful on those yet looks good on vintage Tecnomagnesios.
    Rota Sliptream shows its best in yuk gold yet don´t come in that anymore and the Royal Gunmetal is a definite NoNo. So the default the in non gloss black and that combines with the tyres in the car flaoting on black holes.
    Anyway; weight is the crucial bit and if the rims I can score at my budget are the imo wrong colour, I will have to spray them. Speaking of which; I sprayed the slightly tired looking side panels of the seat backs and that turned out pérfect.

Just got a message that the bits I need for the muffler epibrating have arrived where I am not untill Saturday. So, next week! I should recieve the door spacers too by then.

Hilarious anecdote about the airbag removal btw. But later; the gf just walks in....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Back to the anecdote.

The mountain gf noticed me working out how to get the passenger airbag out.
    Later in the evening she said; ´If you remove the airbags, don´t espect me to éver drive that car!´
    My son; "You do realise that you are putting forward a convincing argument to remove them?!"

Looking most forward to spacing the doors: Making the doors funtion as braces will make the tub resist torsion a lót better, which should be definitely noticeable on initial turn in and sequences of quick directional changes.

Today drove the Malaga gf´s Peugeot cabrio and even cruising that comfortable along the hard folding roof could be heard moving less than the tub/windscreen frame. The MR2 is a lót stiffer but the same principle applies so it wíll make a difference.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok, the muffler fits but....

the design details need some more attention.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

more lightness and tightness added

Fitted the magic spacers in the doors.
    Just a slight push to close fit.
    Maybe I will add some extra tape for a tighter fit if they settle, but for now they are just perfect; any tighter and I would need to explain thréé women not to start SLÁMMING the door.

The difference is noticeable. Much like the front strut brace though now more balanced as it braces the tub itself. I.e. more effect than the strut brace for a third of the price and a lót easier to fit.
    Again not a world of difference but certainly not a marginal gain as it is noticeably more responsive to steering input.

Also added another 4 kilos of lightness by removing the explosives from the dash.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A bit chilly but bright blue morning, so parked Belle in the sun to fold the hood down when I go.
    Leaving a bit earlier because of the above: Needs be enjoyed to the full and going mounting route. Immediately over the Pedrizas pass the exit towards Villanueva de Gauche and from there it is all winding down the southern slopes to Malaga. Looking forward to experience the two 360 degree corners (past the Fuente de la Reina just above Málaga) as she is now.
    Will take more than double the time but is obviously not the same order of enjoyment than the highway.

What fun!
    Drifting through hairpins steep down is usually rather tricky as bothe braking and lifting makes matter wórse if you overcook it.
    Ok, still tricky but with a feeling of control because of increased direct feel/feedback.

This morning for breakfast to the beach:

Back into the mountains was even more fun than the trip down. Down is way more tricky ánd I was getting accustomed to the feel.
    Back in the mountains, through the valley thréw it through the corner, passing several cars till I closed up to a Seat Cupra. Took the bloke two corners before he got the spirit; húge fun! Impressive accelleration btw.
    Back in the village took a few of the star of today:

Journeyman
    The MR2 is interesting but I've never had the pleasure of driving one. If I was looking for a cheap rag-top I'd be looking for the cleanest Z3 3.0 (the 231bhp straight 6 petrol). They really were underrated IMO and a well looked after minty one would be a joy to have.
    Last edited by MarkJS; 8th February 2019 at 18:38.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Spaced out.

Back at the farm checked the door spacers/bushings. The tape compressed most of its thinness so took the blocks off and added another layer to space the space tighter still. The doors now need a bit of a spirited closing but as I now know the tape will settle quite a bit, no worries there.

Back to the effect on the handling.
    Spacing them out shows I am rather pleased with the improvent.

Having slid the thing about hárd through uncountable mountain road corners, sliding it from 30 to 130 km/h, my conclusion sofar is:
    The improved integrity of the tub means that suspension is now by the suspension and the tyre, not the flex in the tub.
    Since I have not méasure anything I cannot say anything about the actual roadholding, about the corner speeds.
    What I díd notice is that now the load is spread better over the foúr wheels/tyres. How much no idea, did not measure.

The control is another matter. Thát is in a different league.
    The feedback is more direct because you now do not ´feel´ the chassis moving; al you now feel it is the contact patch.
    As such you feel the movement éarlier and also there is less euhhhhmmmm, únflex in the chassis when the tyre starts letting go.
    To understand that it is important to understand that a sliding tyre has léss friction than one that is about to; max deforming = max. traction and letting go is a sharp decrease in grip.
    Past the slide point, the load on the chassis thus gets lower rather rapidly and that gives a reaction.
    In extrema it is like the pogo response of a high 4x4 when that breaks out, then grips and spits you out to the other side because you in a reflex overcorrected for the refound grip.
    On the MR it is less so but still there.
    With the tub flexing less, there is less of that ánd the feel of the tyres is no longer masked by the flex in the tub.
    Since you feel more, you can respond earlier, more measured and drive way closer to both sides of the limit with an amplitude you can control.
    That latter bit is imo the real benefit: With less flex in the chassis, the amplitude of feel of nearing the limit and going over it is way smaller and thus the chance of being too far over is reduced.

Near the farm there is a corner I take umpteen times daily and through which it is too easy to make ány car slide. With the MR it was the corner that made the resident female observe I nééded better wubbahs.
    The angle between noticing it going, catching it etc. had a certain amplitude.
    The amplitude of catch is not all that far from the beyond catching angle.
    Nów that amplitude is not in the same order of tail out. That enlarges the safety margin, which can also be seen as the play ground, consíderably.
    To stay in MR2 jargon; it takes a chunk out of the snap of the snap oversteer.
    The slogan; Takes the snap out of snap oversteer! ;)

I am still not completely happy with the feel in the front. Also the front wubbah gets hotter than the rear. I already put a bit more air in so not going more thataway. Since the outside gets more of the brunt, I will order camber bolts.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    If I was looking for a cheap rag-top I'd be looking for the cleanest Z3 3.0 (the 231bhp straight 6 petrol). They really were underrated IMO and a well looked after minty one would be a joy to have.
    Intereting pov.
    Why do you think they were underrated.

Imo, being BMWs they were and are óverrated. At least from the driving fun side.

Compared with the SW30 it is 35% more lardy ánd the relatively heavy engine sits up front vs in the middle.

I drove one and in no way did it feel sporty.
    Imo it felt like the anti-MX5; a boulevard cruiser instead of a mountain road blitzer.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 8th February 2019 at 18:54.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Intereting pov.
    Why do you think they were underrated.

Imo, being BMWs they were and are óverrated. At least from the driving fun side.

Compared with the SW30 it is 35% more lardy with 10% less oomph to ove each kilo ánd the relatively heavy engine sits up front vs in the middle.

I drove one and in no way did it feel sporty.
    Imo it felt like the anti-MX5; a boulevard cruiser instead of a mountain road blitzer.
    I think a lot of opinions on those cars back in the day were based around the 1.9 engine which wasn't great and didn't do the rest of it justice. Then there was the 2.2 which sounded great but was still relatively low on power whereas the 3.0 really made a huge difference to the whole package. It did the E30 chassis justice. I've never understood the Japanese never having more flair with their engine choices on their 'sporty' soft tops. I'm sure you're right regarding the Z3 feeling more cruiser than a W30 but I don't think all BMW's are overrated....because they're BMW's.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I think a lot of opinions on those cars back in the day were based around the 1.9 engine which wasn't great and didn't do the rest of it justice. Then there was the 2.2 which sounded great but was still relatively low on power whereas the 3.0 really made a huge difference to the whole package. It did the E30 chassis justice. I've never understood the Japanese never having more flair with their engine choices on their 'sporty' soft tops. I'm sure you're right regarding the Z3 feeling more cruiser than a W30 but I don't think all BMW's are overrated....because they're BMW's.
    Ok, thanks.

Concerning the Japanese roadster, I do. Completely. The Z3 is a good point in case. The bigger, more power delivering engines make for more acceleration and top speed but not for better handling, more like worse handling because the lump weighs more. It is the first step towards the ´sports car´ conundrum.
    Additionally, more power does not necessarily make for more fun driving, again more like less.

It is the same thing with the Boxster. There is no disputing that the suspension is in a league above the rest and that makes for roadholding. It is just that 1300 (and up) kilos are not leightweight.
    Same thing the power. Although it has roadholding, traction and brakes to match you also need the road and skill set.

That observed, not everyone looks for the same in a car so the differences are GREAT!

The japanese for their roadsters stay true to the definition of sports car which includes light and nimble.
    Hence I am not coaxing more horses from the 1ZZ but ´adding lightness´*.

* quote from Colin Chapman**.

** Lotus, with Chapman weilding the scepter, did development work for DeLorean. This engineering concept was later sold by the Administrators to Toyota, who used it to develop the MR2.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 8th February 2019 at 22:41.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

...and

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Beejeezuss; thréé days and the only thing I have been able to is black out the P/S fault light....

Ah well, the resident girl is a hopping happy bunny with her Valentine´s present; stuck a two tone vinyl vine with flowers/butterflies on her ´new´ black SUV. Have to say it looks a lót more chirpy indeed.

Fingers crossed I get around to do something about the airbag fault light and the horn.

The re-plumbing of the no-longer-power-steering will have to wait till next week when I can hopefully try mod. the muffler too.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Woahhh....;
    Sofar been taking things oút, mostly modern ´essentials´.
    Today put something ín, modern at that!
    A panel with USB charging ports. Also a Voltmeter to keep an eye on the featherweight battery.
    Totals 190 grams and put it, since I don´t smoke, in place of the ashtray/lighter unit weighing 960.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Those Enkei RPF1´s dó look good