closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Which cabrio?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Equal toe would just cancel each other out, other than tyre wear it will make no difference to handling,
    Well, it does affect understeer; more is less ;-)
    Also does no good to straight line stability and tram lining.
    Anyway, it´s OEM now save for the negative camber.
    With no PAS and the mid engine lay-out, changes are very noticeable; I like the way it is going.

Would have loved combine the camber bolts and alligning with fitting 30 mm shorter progressive TEIN springs for both lower centre of gravity and so much nicer looks, but the ground clearance, no, no, NÓ.

Time to get serious about lighter rims ... and real rubber tyres instead of these nogrip gladial type cancer dust specials.
    2 kg off each corner and proper grip will be só much more confidence inspiring.

Input about tyres is welcome.
    Will go 195/50R15 and 205/50R15.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The strawberries where 5€ for two 2 kg. boxes on the market this morning :D
    So; one box for the mountain, one box for the coast.

The idea behind the bonnet vents is pressure relief in the frunk = less pressure under the car = less lift = more stabilty (read less instability) at speed. Even if just a bit.

Waiting for the aero lip to stick onto the rear to improve the drag which should do the same and reduce sensitivity to side wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    The strawberries where 5€ for two 2 kg. boxes on the market this morning :D
    So; one box for the mountain, one box for the coast.

The idea behind the bonnet vents is pressure relief in the frunk = less pressure under the car = less lift = more stabilty (read less instability) at speed. Even if just a bit.

Waiting for the aero lip to stick onto the rear to improve the drag which should do the same and reduce sensitivity to side wind.
    You've been reading my stuff! venting the bonnet won't do you any favours, the airflow hitting the windscreen will create more drag, the vents need to be on the wings.

As it is a hot country and the car is normally aspirated wrapping the exhaust is worth a few horsepower and less heat in the engine bay.

Banned
    Blog Entries

You've been reading my stuff! venting the bonnet won't do you any favours, the airflow hitting the windscreen will create more drag, the vents need to be on the wings.

As it is a hot country and the car is normally aspirated wrapping the exhaust is worth a few horsepower and less heat in the engine bay.
    I did read your links and a lot more.
    There are more ways to Rome and also Rome is not the only destination.

Unfortunately the wings are not a feasable option.

The wee bit extra airstream hitting the windscreen will álso result in downforce. As topspeed is not even in síght as an issue an increase of drag there is not either. I expect the effect to be marginal and hope the addition of the rear strip will work in combination, reducing the drag thus equalling out.

I´ll find out. Without the PAS everything is ever so directly felt in the hands. I was disappointed that the strip has not arrived yet, but tis way I will feel the differences. Íf there is something to feel that is....

Concerning cooling I hope even a slight increase in flow will help.
    Permission for a reduced registration plate up front is still on the roll. Again not much of a difference expected but still it wíll make a difference. The less restricted entry will allow more air in and the vents are in anticipation.
    Thís one I on purpose put last.
    Well, not all as there is still the bl@@dy big wing I may or may not bolt onto the rear.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries

Went down the mountain, took a detour and a bit of extra highway; the hígh way, literally; the toll road to Málaga. A piece of road building art linking tunnels to long; high viaduct to tunnels to etc.
    Very little traffic, smooth tarmac, wide curves and the occaional STRONG winds through the valley crossed by the viaduct.
    Overtook a few lorries with strong crong crosswing at about 160 km/h.

Ok, the difference.
    1. With my car the left front corner of the bonnet started to ´lift´ at 60 km/h.
    Now it stays put till 160 :o
    2. At 160 passing a lorry with strong sidewind, the car is more stable than before at 140 on its own.
    3. The surprise was the notable reduction of buffeting. It is logical but unexpected.
    More of a difference, wáy more, than expected.

All in all a success. It looks better than I expected and the result is beyond what I could have imagined.
    Rather a large difference from a few narrow slits.
    Reasoning it; the location and the design probably create a low pessure zone efficiently extracting the air at a higher pressure under the bonnet.
    The extra air means more mass of air rushing over the windscreen, thus rolling over just a bit further back behind it.

Hope the rear lip arrives Friday. Can´t wait to try that out now.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Back in the mountains again.
    It was tough at the coast.

Yes, noticed the difference consistently.
    Took the interior ´scenic´ route through the valley. That is a second norm route showing differences. This time the camber/allignment ánd the bonnet vents since the previous time I travelled it.
    Verdict; more planted at the front.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Aero gadgets

Should work a treat; change drag, create a proper wake, even extract more air from the engine bay.

Should work a treat; change drag, create a proper wake, even extract more air from the engine bay.
    Hmmm air in engine bay! how long have you got? very little air goes in, you will find that you don't have laminar air flow on the sides, you will need to play with vortex generators to make the airflow re attach, the ducts do nothing, the first thing to do is remove the grill at the back.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm air in engine bay! how long have you got? very little air goes in, you will find that you don't have laminar air flow on the sides, you will need to play with vortex generators to make the airflow re attach, the ducts do nothing, the first thing to do is remove the grill at the back.
    The SW30 has a side entry which does very little, true.
    The ´diaper´ though, in combo with the subframe, does direct some of the air under the car up in the engine bay.
    I have already removed the drip trays from under the louvres, freeing up any flow there might be.

The upper rear gril is very open structure. Taking it out should do next to nothing.
    The lower one is largely closed. That woúld add a serious opening. Not sure why it closed, so leaving that as is for the moment.
    The lip should create a wake, reduce turbulence, right where the upper grill is. Shoúld improve air flow, however little. It is basically all marginal but that lip does work very effectively. Ok, within the framework of limited expectations.

Coming Tuesday is father´s day in Spain but no takers for the large rear wing as present ;-)
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 15th March 2019 at 13:34.

Calculate the area of the grill you will get a shock, underneath the car is a low pressure area, there is no airflow there

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Calculate the area of the grill you will get a shock, underneath the car is a low pressure area, there is no airflow there
    I measured front, rear and side vents.

As to no airflow under the car I beg to differ.
    The underside it surprisingly important as the air on the ground is partically still.
    Hence flat bottoms and some sort of diffuser makes such huge difference. In the MX5 scene taking off the rear bumper is fairly popular for track use and with good, proven aerodynamic reason.

I measured front, rear and side vents.

As to no airflow under the car I beg to differ.
    The underside it surprisingly important as the air on the ground is partically still.
    Hence flat bottoms and some sort of diffuser makes such huge difference. In the MX5 scene taking off the rear bumper is fairly popular for track use and with good, proven aerodynamic reason.
    OK think about it, do you think a volume car manufacturer would deliberately design a car to produce lift, they are not race cars so not perfect, however they will do everything they can to minimise lift.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OK think about it, do you think a volume car manufacturer would deliberately design a car to produce lift, they are not race cars so not perfect, however they will do everything they can to minimise lift.
    Yes, have thought about it and yes they have minimises lift ánd there is soem.
    As you say it is not a race car.
    Also a ´mass produced´, competitively priced one for a fairly wide public.
    As such it is a pretty good compromise but still a compromise and some lift at illegal speeds is a well known ´issue´.
    Now I have a bit less.

Take a look at the first Audi TT. Quite a reputable manufacturer who know what they are doing yet the rear end was a bit of a mess aerodynamically. A duck tail spoiler lip was a quick fix improving the drag/wake.
    The SW30 is comparable at the rear. A small lip creating a shear ridge improves things. Toyota offered something alike as a dealer fix for customers who complained about side wind sensitivity.

Took mountain love for a spin and she volunteered noticing less buffeting from 80 km/h and most markedly at 120; ´did you change something? There is less wind noise, less disturbance!!´

The rear lip is a minor thing but;
    - it contributes tothe less turbulant air flow over the tub; that is not subjective
    - the rear feels just that bit more planted; that may very well be subjective

Yes, have thought about it and yes they have minimises lift ánd there is soem.
    As you say it is not a race car.
    Also a ´mass produced´, competitively priced one for a fairly wide public.
    As such it is a pretty good compromise but still a compromise and some lift at illegal speeds is a well known ´issue´.
    Now I have a bit less.

Take a look at the first Audi TT. Quite a reputable manufacturer who know what they are doing yet the rear end was a bit of a mess aerodynamically. A duck tail spoiler lip was a quick fix improving the drag/wake.
    The SW30 is comparable at the rear. A small lip creating a shear ridge improves things. Toyota offered something alike as a dealer fix for customers who complained about side wind sensitivity.

Took mountain love for a spin and she volunteered noticing less buffeting from 80 km/h and most markedly at 120; ´did you change something? There is less wind noise, less disturbance!!´

The rear lip is a minor thing but;
    - it contributes tothe less turbulant air flow over the tub; that is not subjective
    - the rear feels just that bit more planted; that may very well be subjective
    Is that k or MPH, my friend Mark has one with a supercharged 2.0 tuned Celica engine making 360bhp, at snettertton I could make it slide but mot move about. He also has a stripped out standard one for trackdays

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As planned; inland route to the coast, old N340 eastwards, oldest bit of N340, then from Almuñecar over the N4050 to Granada.

Whereas the N340 is the original Routse 66 so to speak, the N4050 must be one of thé unspoiled riders´ routes; almost 50 kms of varied driving heaven. The old name for the rout is ´la ruta de suspiro del moro´; ´the route of the moor´s sigh´. It is indeed breathtaking for most of the 50 kms.

On the remnants of the pre war N340 we encountered a Cabra montés; a wild mountain goat. A more extreme example of how out of use those 4 kilometers are would be hard to think of.

Oh and the car was a dream!

Charming company;
    ´Ooooohhhh I lóve those pop noises´ about the occasional afterburn exhaust sounds on the overrun.
    ´...and why would you want that wing? For what extra traction/stabilty?? You already ignore speed limits by several factors!!´

Mrs V used to own a Mk1 before I met her. Last week I sold the very practical but boring Toyota Auris and I bought her a one owner FSH Mk3 - we are now a soft top household

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Mrs V used to own a Mk1 before I met her. Last week I sold the very practical but boring Toyota Auris and I bought her a one owner FSH Mk3 - we are now a soft top household

That is rather romantic!

My Málageña love has Peugeot 307cc.

Wishing you much topless fun!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

Drove the 307 yesterday at the coast.
    Over the N340 as well, much the same bit as Saturday in the MR.
    Whát a difference!!

Both compact convertibles with 140 hp.
    2+2 versus strictly 2 is not the crux.
    Neither is it being 50% heavier.
    It is the FF vs MR.
    The bulk of the larger mass up front being púlled ahead makes for a HUGE difference: The concept is inherently much more stable. It is like a baseball with a tail vs a pingpong ball.
    Quite relaxing btw for touring the N340 under the sun.

Not much sun here!

Since Mrs V's MK3 arrived its had the hood up

I dropped mine yesterday on the drive back from Sussex to Berkshire. Wearing a cap, scarf and gloves and with the heater blowing it was most pleasant - however it wasn't long before the rain put a stop to that!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not much sun here!

Since Mrs V's MK3 arrived its had the hood up

I dropped mine yesterday on the drive back from Sussex to Berkshire. Wearing a cap, scarf and gloves and with the heater blowing it was most pleasant - however it wasn't long before the rain put a stop to that!
    Thanks for sharing that!

Memories of both the previous (4x4) ragtop with which I ventured high up into the Sierras in winter suited up in motorcycle gear :-)
    Memories of driving the Spitfire 1500 in the Netherlands. Bought a tonneau to keep most of the rain out. Vinyl seats and rubber floor matting (cut away the carpeting from the footwells) were quite useful.

Coming back up from Málaga there were near black clouds above Las Pedrizas pass but since the hood is put up in seconds I kept it down and the few rain drops did not even wet the windscreen.
    Unfortunately that was all the rain that sofar has fallen out of the ´promised´ three wet days. All sunny forecasted till Tuesday next week. Máybe a shower tomorrow afternoon.

That looks a bit familiar. My brother has a place in one of the villages in the Valle de Lecrín. It's a bit remote for my taste, but he and his mrs. like it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    That looks a bit familiar. My brother has a place in one of the villages in the Valle de Lecrín. It's a bit remote for my taste, but he and his mrs. like it.
    Well spotted!!

The Valle de Lecrín is a fairly extensive region though with enórmous differences in local climates and remoteness. The northern bit borders the city of Granada.
    Only just to the south are subtropical vallye but the northwestern part of V.de Lecrín is a barren, tundra-like high plane where the few hamlets/villages sit less exposed in small depressions or gorges.
    The rouds though and the views are WOW-factor.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Talking ....and now for something completely different

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ´Armoured´ the car with chemical/ceramic 9H stuff this morning.
    Maybe I am doing it wrong but there seems to be a contradiction in the user info.
    It says to apply it on a misted surface using a moist cloth but also that the stuff dissolves in water.
    When applying the latter prooved true as any residue in a nook/cranny thwarted the polishing up dûh...
    Now if you leave it enough for the nooks&crannies to dry out, the stufff does not rub out anymore.
    The MR being small and mostly grey, I have sort of sorted it but the big metallic black SUV will need a different approach. Will need to think about that.

Bought acorn type wheel nuts. As simple as they come yet high tensile steel and 40 gramms lighter per rather heavy OEM flnged nut.

Times 16 it is more than one would expect just on a set of lug nuts.
    At 40€/kg. rotating unsprung weight it is rather cheap too.
    Very marginal gains only, but since I was going for different wheels anyway it made sense
    Now the lighter wheel quest has (hopefully temporarily) stopped it makes less sense

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh my!!! :o
    A heat wave here!
    No less than 5,5 degrees this morning :)
    Makes a nice change from just above zero.
    Also using warm water to wash the rear of the SUV :P
    Makes a nice change from water just above zero :withstupid:

Right, while the SUV is drying, I am breaking my not so pretty big head over what more to unbolt from the MR. That is by far the cheapest performance mod. so...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Took the automatic aerial out because it going up/down all the time bothers me big time. It is also up and making wind noise when using the cd whereas I néver use the radio. Ah ánd it removes weight. It is only 1 kilo though.

Oh, btw., this puts the lightness added at just over 60 kilo.
    Sounds like a lot for a light car and yes it is noticeable, but it is not even the average passenger.

Just took the rear storage doors out. Indeed surprisingly heavy at a bit over 2,5 kilos.
    Leaving the rest in as it looks neat. The doors out adds just that bit of extra space for luggage. It it needs to be stored secure, then they are put back in 10 minutes top.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 28th March 2019 at 16:57.

Banned
    Blog Entries

´Vroegáh´, a head support was obligatory in motorcyle frames. It basically added a triangle inside the cradle. It also eliminated torque reactions on changing loads.
    A crucial aspect was whére to add it to the top tube.
    In a car the only function is counteracting torque reactions but the whére remains.

After the first sprited drive I went looking on the web for one.
    Gear changes pushing hárd through a corner will go noticeable more stable.
    It is a cheap mod. that you dó notice.

So I was rather taken aback when I found nóthing.
    On the web I only find info on the mx-engineinwrongplace .

Contacted a véry experience tech head on the forum and she has fitted one to hér car!!

Me want one too!!
    She is looking into putting a bolt on kit together.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Fun

Ofcourse one could say it applies to any car. Any car that pushes your buttons, any car that sparks you interest, any car that stimulates to mods, is fun, motivating. I have no doubt that say an MX5 is just as satifactory.
    I doubt however that it is as rewarding because the MR is véry sensitive to changes. I would not say it is more knife edge as that would suggest it is more tricky and I think it is not. What I mean is that because everything is just that bit more direct, you notice changes more direct.
    This motivates to fiddle, call it faff about, with it.

Also it is in concept not designed to be practical, designed to be a runabout toy. Literally too; a Toy.
    You don´t need to feel to take it seriously on the estetics. It is fun to nót take it seriously.

When driving the thing about, it provokes, gets smiles. Lots of smíles. Whether they laugh át it, or me, think it odd, ludicrous or fun, smíles it is. I have not taken it out a single time and nót seen a smile or heard a cheer from some kids.

We have fínally some rain here now. Hopefully the whole week as in the weather forecast. Just in time after the dryest winter recorded.
    Means I will be doing chores inside the house and not take it out much. Next time I go down to Málaga I need luggage space so it will stay under for that too.
    Time to ponder about things to do to it. Even when it is under roof because of rain it is fun :-)

Currently on the list are lighter rims, better rubber, the engine torque damper, shift knob, rear wing, smaller front number plate. Oh and the effing airbag light.
    Also would like to chuck the floor mats. If I can find a bit of black cloth that sticks to the carpet so I can place it under the pedals, they are out.
    Can´t think of anything more. Till I think of it ;-)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

Fun it is :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries

For the aficionados

Seeing the líght!

And the sticky tape to go around them:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool Fun!

Mountain girl went through her box of watches over the weekend and kept two apart for me to give my opinion about.
    One she thought too childish for her nowadays.
    Right up my street :D and totally befitting my take on the MR2 ;)

So I cleaned the watch thoroughly and sport it on the wrist.
    It is the first ´Doraemon´ G-shock and I lóve it!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Engine torque/steady damper

The innards:

Banned
    Blog Entries

12 kilos of lightness added

They look superb!
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    They look superb!
    They add a 180 degree diffent element to the car, changing the whole image of it. Quite surprising really.
    I think the OEM rims look very good too. They look lithe, elegant, sweet, dare I say... níce.
    I think the RPF1s look more serious, rácy, dare I say... F1.
    Purely by coincidence the silver/black/red colour sceme of my car is the same as the 1997 McLaren F1 that was shod on the origin of the design.

Still just looks though.
    The difference dríving is surprising.
    The experience is a bit confused because I also went from cheapos to AD08Rs but several aspects can nevertheless be distinguished:

The Neovas are much stiffer in the sidewall. Steering is a lot more direct, lighter and understeer is deminished.
    The lighter rims múst have an effect here too but that is all I can say because the AD08R sidewall is the biggy in this one.
    Another biggy is improved road contact and the resulting feel. Now thát is mostly the effect of the lighter rims. Over the cobblestones per example the stiffer Yokos should give a harsher ride but it is smoother. Thus the lighter rims more than compensate for the stiffer sidewall. Go figure on tarmac.
    Bottom line is that the wheels feel less cumbersome. Some of the fast lightness lost by removing the power steering has returned (tyres) but with the incréased feel of the better road contact (wheels).
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 11th April 2019 at 00:10.

They should make a noticeable difference and look good.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    They should make a noticeable difference and look good.
    The AD08R has a very neat ´rim protection´ bead in the sidewall as a first line help to avoid curb rash. Very thoughtfull of Yokohama.

The AD08R has a very neat ´rim protection´ bead in the sidewall as a first line help to avoid curb rash. Very thoughtfull of Yokohama.
    My BMW tyres have a bump strip, it doesn't stop potholes chipping the edge of the rim, they are 30 profile tyres though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My BMW tyres have a bump strip, it doesn't stop potholes chipping the edge of the rim, they are 30 profile tyres though.
    30 section rubber is only one step up from the tread directly bonded to the rim, all but eleiminating the air suspension by the (p)neumatic tyre.

Apart from the weight penalty, the lower section sidewall was a reason for me to not go 16". Without matching modifications to the suspension lower section rubber on heavier rims is not an overall improvement; it may be better in a specific area but will come at a price in others. A few tenth off the lap time on a track is in mý opinion not worth the price of a few meters more braking distance on the public road.

30 section rubber is only one step up from the tread directly bonded to the rim, all but eleiminating the air suspension by the (p)neumatic tyre.

Apart from the weight penalty, the lower section sidewall was a reason for me to not go 16". Without matching modifications to the suspension lower section rubber on heavier rims is not an overall improvement; it may be better in a specific area but will come at a price in others. A few tenth off the lap time on a track is in mý opinion not worth the price of a few meters more braking distance on the public road.
    The car comes with 285/30/20 as standard, wheels are getting bigger, stiffer sidewalls do make the car more accurate, the penalty is less compliance.

Interestingly the Noble has 30 section tyres as well.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The car comes with 285/30/20 as standard, wheels are getting bigger, stiffer sidewalls do make the car more accurate, the penalty is less compliance.
    Unfortunately less compliance makes for lower braking efficiency on real world road surfaces. A textbook example of lap times compromising roadworthyness. One clear bugbear of Nürburgring testing.
    Never been a fan of the Top Gear comedy show and even less of the current deviant but James May was/is right on the nail with his critisism on this.

The weather cleared up yesterday with ditto forecasted for the next few days, so took the hardtop off before I went down to the coast.

I've just had a Torsen LSD, uprated clutch and lightened flywheel fitted to the MX-5, along with a few small tweaks to other bits and pieces and removal of the rear subframe brace, which is apparently useless and wasn't even fitted to a lot of Mk1s. I'm still bedding in the clutch (off out later to do some more).

Mines back in 'coupe' mode at the moment

I happened across this pristine hardtop being sold by someone who had owned it from new in 2004. They traded in their Mk2 and when they were told that the top wouldn't make any difference to the trade in price they kept it to sell separately. Got it cheap - had to fit new front latches though. A perfect colour match. Been after one like this for a while as the original bill of sale for the car includes a colour matched hard top - the original owner (I'm only the 2nd) had sold it as he didn't have space to store it.

pics upload site

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mines back in 'coupe' mode at the moment

I happened across this pristine hardtop being sold by someone who had owned it from new in 2004. They traded in their Mk2 and when they were told that the top wouldn't make any difference to the trade in price they kept it to sell separately. Got it cheap - had to fit new front latches though. A perfect colour match. Been after one like this for a while as the original bill of sale for the car includes a colour matched hard top - the original owner (I'm only the 2nd) had sold it as he didn't have space to store it.
    That is a réally good find!
    They are a 5 minute doddle to take off or put on with an extra set of hands and make the car só much more usable.
    Good for you!! and thanks for sharing the photo. It looks ... sportscar.

@Foxy: That LSD will add a dimension to the fun. Wet or dry ;-)

still, have mine on to cold for me to take off yet it was below freezing here today.

That is a réally good find!
    They are a 5 minute doddle to take off or put on with an extra set of hands and make the car só much more usable.
    Good for you!! and thanks for sharing the photo. It looks ... sportscar.

@Foxy: That LSD will add a dimension to the fun. Wet or dry ;-)
    I had an LSD on my last MX-5, I missed having one. I gave it some welly on a roundabout just now (this MX has about 30bhp more than the last) and almost ran out of road, I'm going to have to have some practice in the wet just to find out how much grip I have and when the diff wants it to let go.

I just had a proper drive down a 20-mile return stretch of the A272 and while I didn't abuse the clutch at all and made slow gear changes the diff absolutely transforms the car. I'd forgotten how good one was, despite recognising how much I disliked the open diff on my car. It's a 4.1:1, which is I think the same ratio as the diff in there until this morning, but the car goes through corners with so much more composure - and speed. The lightened fly makes it rev so much better, and on the (careful) downshift it drops revs so much quicker.

I'm now thinking Jenvey throttle bodies and cylinder head work rather than a turbo. The car currently has 140bhp at the fly, I have the uprated clutch and plug-and-play ECU I'll need for either throttle bodies or turbo (I've discounted a supercharger, I don't like the power delivery!) but for the same cost the turbo would produce 240bhp and the throttle bodies, 170-175bhp. It would be easy to chase the power but apparently it makes you a lazier driver, with all that torque available, while the throttle bodies keep the car normally-aspirated and give it instant throttle response. Which is true to the MX-5's ethos and feels right.

That drive tonight has convinced me, I think, that I don't need excessive power in a car that weighs 950kg (or 930kg if you remove the passenger seat, which takes about two minutes!) and handles so well. I don't really want to strip it further (I've already removed probably 20kg of metal, spare wheel and so on) so the throttle bodies look the best option. I just have to get my head round spending rather a lot of money on 30-35bhp extra rather than 100bhp extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I just had a proper drive down a 20-mile return stretch of the A272 and while I didn't abuse the clutch at all and made slow gear changes the diff absolutely transforms the car. I'd forgotten how good one was, despite recognising how much I disliked the open diff on my car. It's a 4.1:1, which is I think the same ratio as the diff in there until this morning, but the car goes through corners with so much more composure - and speed. The lightened fly makes it rev so much better, and on the (careful) downshift it drops revs so much quicker.

I'm now thinking Jenvey throttle bodies and cylinder head work rather than a turbo. The car currently has 140bhp at the fly, I have the uprated clutch and plug-and-play ECU I'll need for either throttle bodies or turbo (I've discounted a supercharger, I don't like the power delivery!) but for the same cost the turbo would produce 240bhp and the throttle bodies, 170-175bhp. It would be easy to chase the power but apparently it makes you a lazier driver, with all that torque available, while the throttle bodies keep the car normally-aspirated and give it instant throttle response. Which is true to the MX-5's ethos and feels right.

That drive tonight has convinced me, I think, that I don't need excessive power in a car that weighs 950kg (or 930kg if you remove the passenger seat, which takes about two minutes!) and handles so well. I don't really want to strip it further (I've already removed probably 20kg of metal, spare wheel and so on) so the throttle bodies look the best option. I just have to get my head round spending rather a lot of money on 30-35bhp extra rather than 100bhp extra.
    This thread brings me back to when I had a eunos, Mx5 - I got a supercharger fitted by a guy near Birmingham - it was the sound that I remember the most ! Was very quick and also used a lot more petrol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk