closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 451 to 500 of 593

Thread: Which cabrio?

  1. #451
    Craftsman Wyvern971's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    374
    Shame, would be nice to get engine noise
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Nope.
    You get english subtitles tough.
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

  2. #452
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    Shame, would be nice to get engine noise
    This is the same car developed another level; wíth exhaust sound:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9JMy7pH4yQ
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  3. #453
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1




    Lighter,
    cooler,
    louder,
    quicker.

    The latter mostly between 3 and 5K revs. Véry noticable.
    With the intake as free as it gets, tubular manifold and a straight through no-damper, the cat was the restriction keeping a small herd of horses reigned in.
    All relatively speaking ofcourse as it is still only faffing with an MR2 ;-)
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  4. #454
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Made my own air filter element using TwinAir filter foam.
    It does not ´filter´ is the sense of sieving the air but using centrifugal force traps particles in a sticky coating.
    It was designed for high revving small capacity two-stroke engines with minute filter housings and currently keeps the high powered four stroke off road bikes free yet clean breathing.
    This material is very free flowing and the sticky surface will capture the particles efficiently.

    It is a bit of a faff but it works and imo the only filter material that flows ánd cleans air.



    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  5. #455
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    This morning taped the mobile on the rear bumper skirt, micro down, 20 cm above the exhaust and drove around a block on the industrial estate

    https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.p....0;attach=6147
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  6. #456
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  7. #457
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1

    Lightbulb and more, or less




    Swapping these for lightweight ones and taking the sound system/speakers out is 6,5 kilos.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  8. #458
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post



    Swapping these for lightweight ones and taking the sound system/speakers out is 6,5 kilos.
    That’s a good saving and no downside

  9. #459
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    That’s a good saving and no downside
    Just ordered the set.
    Cheaper than lightweigh door cards and I will retain the arm rests/grab bars.
    I think the crome will look nicely retro.
    Oh and these tear drops are a lót better when driving with the windows down; the OEM mirrors force turbulent air in between them and the windscreen frame.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  10. #460
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wanted to take the parcel shelf out. Can séé the two nuts per hinge but don´t have the sleek triple jointed fingers needed to undo them. Grrrrrr.

    Have to rethink that so diverted my attention to taking something else out: The media player/radio unit; 2.8 kg. is out. The speakers will go when I swap mirrors. No sense in taking the door cards out twice.

    Been looking at the steering wheel. There are nicer ones, a tad smaller perhaps too, but there is not much weight there. With the explosive device out it is only 1.5 kilos.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  11. #461
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Wanted to take the parcel shelf out. Can séé the two nuts per hinge but don´t have the sleek triple jointed fingers needed to undo them. Grrrrrr.

    Have to rethink that so diverted my attention to taking something else out: The media player/radio unit; 2.8 kg. is out. The speakers will go when I swap mirrors. No sense in taking the door cards out twice.

    Been looking at the steering wheel. There are nicer ones, a tad smaller perhaps too, but there is not much weight there. With the explosive device out it is only 1.5 kilos.
    My steering wheel is 300g

  12. #462
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    16,401
    If you really must have a rag top, at least get something worthwhile.

    Oldsmobile Cutlass 4-4-2. Big blue shark.

    Cuidich 'n Righ

  13. #463
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    My steering wheel is 300g
    Ah carbon fibre no doubt; if only ;-)

    There are US dragster ones in aluminium (US: aluminum) that are 400.

    Affordable after market is 1 kg easy and also requires an adapter boss.
    Can´t find what the Moto-Lita ones weigh. Never a good omen.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  14. #464
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Ah carbon fibre no doubt; if only ;-)

    There are US dragster ones in aluminium (US: aluminum) that are 400.

    Affordable after market is 1 kg easy and also requires an adapter boss.
    Can´t find what the Moto-Lita ones weigh. Never a good omen.
    Yes Reverie CF.

    There must be light ones out there,

    https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/sear...ering%20wheel/
    Last edited by adrianw; 21st September 2019 at 23:04.

  15. #465
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Yes Reverie CF.

    There must be light ones out there,

    Lightest ´basic´OMP, flat, 330mm is 1100 gram.
    The superleggera version is 700 and 2,5 times more €.
    Carbon is 500 twice more yet....

    The Moto-Lita being alu should be light too but can NÓT find it :-( Also needs 9 to 6 hole adapter.

    Edit; seller weighed one: Leather wrapped is on par with same diameter ´basic´ Momo. The 9 to 6 hole adapter will add weight.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 22nd September 2019 at 11:32.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  16. #466
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Oh my, a regional rally shop has a 350mm Superleggero on offer...




    Wéll within budget, as is a demo woodrim ML.
    So; how important is the übercool look of the classic woodrim??

    Last edited by Huertecilla; 22nd September 2019 at 17:07.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  17. #467
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1

    Exclamation and then there was líght

    Found the lightests commercially availeble one:
    It´s the Sparco Carbon 385.
    It weighs, óne guess only...
    385 gramms.
    About 1k € though.

    Sparco has a real neat wood rim one too btw. ; the SanRemo.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  18. #468
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    That’s a good saving and no downside
    Found another such one.
    There is sort of a ´parcel shelf´ behind the cross bar as roof of the rear cubby space. The function is preventing users from stuffing to high hard things in and then crash the soft top down on it, damaging the rear window in the process.
    As the thing is not in sight, I suppose most owners are not even aware it´s there, let alone that you can take it out. Well, easier said then done, fár easier, but it´s out; 1.6 kg.

    So that makes 4.4 kg this week with the mirrors and speakers still to go.

    Mirrors in the post this morning.
    Nope.
    Unless you close the hole, respray the door panel, there is NO WAY they fit.
    Still 850 gramms per door taking the speakers out.
    Will use the Vitalonis on the DAF.

    So that is 4.4 plus 1.7 so still 6.1 kilos.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 25th September 2019 at 11:16.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  19. #469
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Meanwhile, last week, passed MoT.
    Observation about slighty wobbly front discs.

    Beforehand put a lot of stuff back; the lot in the front, OEM cat/muffler, seats.
    And afterwards lightened the mood again.

    Decat midpipe with O2 sensor distance piece fitted. The welded in motorcycle non-muffler is now all metal.
    Engine oil/filter changed, gearbox oil changed.
    Left the nappy off this time. None too pleased about it, but it does seem to run cooler and it should make it easier to fínally fit the diffuser thingy. Ah and it does weigh sómething 8)

    So, that thingy is one on the to-do list.
    The flip up fuel cap is still awol; issue open with ebay.
    Also waiting for the local wrap guy to call me about chrome wrapping the mirrors and windscreen frame.
    Álso waiting for the steering wheel / boss.

    Oh, today first ride with the metal non-muffler and also first time Mountain Girl in the buckets.
    I will not write what she said about the seat when we rolled off the path as I prefer to avoid a ban so I immediately put a lid on that: If she thought about ány more complaints she should get out NÓW! >:(
    Down the mountains, at the coast she observed she had a blue bum but that she was not complaining, simply stating that I could kiss the damage when in bed... Ok, thát I can live with ;) Next she topped that by paying for lunch :o

    Back to Belle; revs freely, is loúd and runs so much cooler in the back; a world of difference.
    Looking forward to put her on the weigh bridge.

    Oh, the guys in the garage noticed I had taken the interior mirror off the windscreen. They though it brilliant; blind spot in front deleted! Ever so obvious but théy had not thought of it they said.
    So, were they going to take it out of theír cars?
    No, the missus, also driving the car, would not approve they said.
    Well; I sorted that with the power steering delete, I said ;D
    A laughing fit followed.

    Late in the evening; ´Petrúúúússs???´
    A courier with a parcel.
    Was the steering wheel :)

    Fitted it this morning.
    A bit of a fafffffff.
    The SMT connector needs be unplugged and that álso has the horn feed.
    The boss does fit without having to mod the plug but I don´t have the female thngamy to connets the horn inside the plug. Can´t solder as that would make refitting the OEM hoop for MoT a pita.
    Since the car is louder than the horn anyway...
    Turned out that the horn button provided by Sparco does not fit their own steering wheel. The céntre does but that disables the horn. Stroke of luck I had already decided to go without.

    The rest was a doddle.

    It is thinner and a bit smaller; only some 2 cm. but because the rim is thinner it feels like you have more leverage. Dito because the underside has dimples. No dimples though where you hold the wheel when driving. Véry comfortable.
    Additional comfort are the 2 cm. of extra leg space.
    The look is all I dared hope for too; phew :-*
    Lóve it!

    Took it out for an extra spin past the air strip.
    There is a combined lightweight/model airplane event and my son went thataway at dawn.





    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  20. #470
    You only put those pictures up to show the weather :-)

  21. #471
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    You only put those pictures up to show the weather :-)
    Especially for you then:

    A memorable drive today; roughly 200 kms. Simply put, down to the coast and back.
    You know; just about ánywhere at the south of the mountain range that runs from the Sierra de las Nieves to the east of the Sierra Nevada, there is a plethora of B- and C-roads up the mountain/down to the coast. Since they meander to the various villages on the southern slopes, you can easily start with one, change to others.
    You cán encounter the odd bad stretch but in general the surface is good to purrrrfect.
    Avoid the weekend and the roads are just about empty. Oh not july and august but that is a bit superfluous no?!

    More detailed:
    Home - Vva. del Trabuco - Alfarnatejo - Mondron - Periana - Puente de Salia - Viñuela - Trapiche - Vélez - Torre del Mar.
    Had lunch at Bahia Beach:






    Back up past Vélez - Benamoccarra - Triana - Benamargosa - Los Hijanos - RioGordo - Colmenar - Vva. de Gauche - Vva. del Rosario - Vva. del Trabuco - home.

    All of it highly enjoyable yet two bits stand out; Alfarnatejo to Periana and the top spot goes to Benarmagosa to RioGordo resurfaced this summer.

    I seriously cannot ´endorse´ the mountain roads over here enough. It really is driver´s paradise. But then you know ;-)
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  22. #472
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Speaking of weather, chilly nights coming up.
    Sunny by day means plummeting temps at night here in the mountains.
    Thus hood fabric not too keen to fold.
    Bought a car cover to have it overnight with the hood down.
    The more reduced space prevents me using the old motorcycle gear I wore in the previous one.
    Malaga gf found me a lightweight leather jacket she lóves for me. Is seal colour with grey sheep collar. Made in a local factory near me!!

    Anyway about the cár I am getting to the end of weight reduction and more power is not that simple on the 1ZZ so now looking at reducing losses. Thiking of underdrive pulleys.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  23. #473
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Speaking of weather, chilly nights coming up.
    Sunny by day means plummeting temps at night here in the mountains.
    Thus hood fabric not too keen to fold.
    Bought a car cover to have it overnight with the hood down.
    The more reduced space prevents me using the old motorcycle gear I wore in the previous one.
    Malaga gf found me a lightweight leather jacket she lóves for me. Is seal colour with grey sheep collar. Made in a local factory near me!!

    Anyway about the cár I am getting to the end of weight reduction and more power is not that simple on the 1ZZ so now looking at reducing losses. Thiking of underdrive pulleys.
    If you really want to start shedding weight it is time to start considering things like fasteners and brackets, Titanium is ideal but silly money, but replacing any not structural nuts bolts and brackets with aluminium is a good low cost idea, have you ever felt the weight of a bucket of bolts?

  24. #474
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    If you really want to start shedding weight it is time to start considering things like fasteners and brackets, Titanium is ideal but silly money, but replacing any not structural nuts bolts and brackets with aluminium is a good low cost idea, have you ever felt the weight of a bucket of bolts?
    You are entirely correct.
    I´ve done that excersize on several racing motorcycles and my carbon special mtb.
    I still had a box with a few aluminium ones and have used those up on the MR.
    No easy access to a source here and it is too much of a pita to unbolt, measure, refit, order, swap. Not cheap that way eitehr with shipping cost added. When still racing, there was ample direct sell in the paddock at discounted prices.
    Also, Toyota did a véry good job at using plastic fasterers and reduced (undersize and dimpled) bolt heads.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  25. #475
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    You are entirely correct.
    I´ve done that excersize on several racing motorcycles and my carbon special mtb.
    I still had a box with a few aluminium ones and have used those up on the MR.
    No easy access to a source here and it is too much of a pita to unbolt, measure, refit, order, swap. Not cheap that way eitehr with shipping cost added. When still racing, there was ample direct sell in the paddock at discounted prices.
    Also, Toyota did a véry good job at using plastic fasterers and reduced (undersize and dimpled) bolt heads.

    A few minutes trawling Ebay wouldn't cats fortunes, just buy a selection of M5,6,8 and 10 would cover most of the car.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...bolts&_sacat=0

  26. #476
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Weighed on the bridge today. It´s one for trucks so rounds off to the next 10 kg. meaning she is 895 - 900... Darn; had hoped on an 8 on the display but on the other hand 900 looks top.
    Will faff with little things (yes Adrian will buy a box) as I encounter them no doubt, but this is pretty much it.

    The weight on the registration papers:





    On the engine front, the MAF is measuring more airflow, the mixture metering is spot on and the fuel flows to over 10% more, so safe to say that the output is 10% more.

    The underdrive alternator pulley is under way.
    Should be the equivalent of 2 kg. less on the flywheel without most of the stall issues.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  27. #477
    as it is winter (well here anyway) there is probably another 3-4kilos by lightening the flywheel, not much cost if you know a good engineering shop, get it ground rather than turned.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1LuthNbi-o
    Last edited by adrianw; 31st October 2019 at 14:25.

  28. #478
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    as it is winter (well here anyway) there is probably another 3-4kilos by lightening the flywheel, not much cost if you know a good engineering shop, get it ground rather than turned.
    Looked into that earlier and decided that I don´t want to live with the drawbacks.

    Still top down weather here.
    Chilly in the mornings because of the altitude so now have it sleep with the top down under a car cover.
    Rain forecasted for the nest 5 days but still 20 degrees C.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  29. #479
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Looked into that earlier and decided that I don´t want to live with the drawbacks.

    Still top down weather here.
    Chilly in the mornings because of the altitude so now have it sleep with the top down under a car cover.
    Rain forecasted for the nest 5 days but still 20 degrees C.
    I just got told its 24 degrees in Casares and still not rained yet

  30. #480
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I just got told its 24 degrees in Casares and still not rained yet
    Same here and nicely sunny. Rain forecasted for midnight and then five days on/off. Véry good for the land and because of the cloudcover none too cold at night.

    Will make use of the dry afternoon. Already have the back on stands and will have a go at fitting the rear diffuser-like thing.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  31. #481
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    One down:



    Last edited by Huertecilla; 31st October 2019 at 18:16.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  32. #482
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1

    Cool Tsurikawabongaaaa..

    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  33. #483
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    as towing eyes go, that's a bit girlie

  34. #484
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    as towing eyes go, that's a bit girlie
    and hanging from an exhaust hanger it is no good as such anyhow ;-)
    The tow strap look is a perfect disguise.


    The underdrive pulley is in btw.
    It wll have to wait till next week though; need the air tool to make light work from what otherwise can be herculean.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 7th November 2019 at 15:09.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  35. #485
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1

    One year on

    Since having to do the access so the ´new´ car could get home.

    Summing up the mods:
    Just under 900 kilos.
    Breathing way more freely through decucted bell mouth and flowing freely straight through.
    Slightly less understeered surefooted on AD08 shod Enkeis.
    Also more stable with subtle aero mods and without the electric p.a.s.

    Ah, and:

    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  36. #486
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Today fitted the HELLA H4 130/90W High Wattage, 12V bulbs.

    On the pre faclift it is a doddle; just like any normal older car: pull the connector off, remove the rubber boot, depress and unhook the bent wire sping, remove bulb.
    Fitting is reverse.
    Well should be.
    The first went a treat, the second I managed to .....
    PUSH INTO THE LAMP UNIT, past the socket :-[ :-[ :-[
    My heart raced and my mind flashed into bumper removal panic mode.
    Zénnnnnnnn....
    Got long nose pliers and a piece of locking wire.
    The bulb had not, yet, fallen in and I could carefull to not push and make matter worse grab one tab. Held it and threaded the wire through the eye on another tab. Bent the wire back on itself and secured it with a turn.
    Right. Escalation averted.
    Manipulating with wire and pliers I got the bulb out again.
    Sigh of relief.
    Again fitted the bulb, now in the correct place.
    Locked it with the spring and nów took the safety wire off.
    PHEW!!

    Started up. Let the idle settle.
    Voltmeter reading 14.2V
    Switched on lights. Voltage drops to 14.1 and resettles at 14.2.
    Switch on mains dipped. Voltage drops to 13.9 and settles at 14.2.
    Now large. Voltage to 13.6, settles at 14.1 then 14.2.

    So far so good.
    No blown fuses, no drain on the battery.
    Rather nice considering I have the underdrive pulley fitted.


    Later, enjoying my coffee I remembered that I had the bulb drop into the lamp once before. Late seventies that was and a headlamp that you took out of the chrome rim retaining it with óne screw in the bottom of the rim.
    You thus had the lamp unit in your hand anyway, so dropping a bulb in was a non-issue, hence it was deep in the back of my mind.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  37. #487
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    What's it called?
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Today fitted the HELLA H4 130/90W High Wattage, 12V bulbs.
    A friend of mine put high wattage (100W if I remember correctly) halogen bulbs in his car back in the early 90's. The light output was incredible and helped his night driving vision no end. That was right up until the point the headlamp's polychromed (PVD) reflectors melted! Different headlights from yours but something to consider if you have not done so already.

  38. #488
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by billymac View Post
    A friend of mine put high wattage (100W if I remember correctly) halogen bulbs in his car back in the early 90's. The light output was incredible and helped his night driving vision no end. That was right up until the point the headlamp's polychromed (PVD) reflectors melted! Different headlights from yours but something to consider if you have not done so already.

    Thank you for pointing it out.
    Yes, I thought about that.
    Different headlights but the same reflector principle/construction.
    So yes, it is a potential issue.

    I hardly ever use high beam and if I do, it is only for a moment.

    I am hoping that the reflectors are a bit better than the early 90s ones and can handle the 90W dipped beam versus the 65W of the OEM high. Also why I left the rubber boots off; it múst be less hot without those rubber insulators.

    Thanks though. It ís a potential issue.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  39. #489
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    What's it called?
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Thank you for pointing it out.
    Yes, I thought about that.
    Different headlights but the same reflector principle/construction.
    So yes, it is a potential issue.

    I hardly ever use high beam and if I do, it is only for a moment.

    I am hoping that the reflectors are a bit better than the early 90s ones and can handle the 90W dipped beam versus the 65W of the OEM high. Also why I left the rubber boots off; it múst be less hot without those rubber insulators.

    Thanks though. It ís a potential issue.
    No worries. You could possibly drill some holes to the top and bottom of the the rear headlight casing to give extra cooling and aid your weight reduction!

    On a side note. I recently bought an older SL500 and I've booked a three week tour of northern Spain for the summer. One of my stops is in Suances at the Costa Esmeralda Suites, a motorsport themed hotel. Don't suppose you've been there in your travels, but if so, could you give me some ideas of good drives around that area? I'm planning a spin through the Picos de Europa for sure.

  40. #490
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by billymac View Post
    Don't suppose you've been there in your travels, but if so, could you give me some ideas of good drives around that area? I'm planning a spin through the Picos de Europa for sure.
    No. I have not. Only passed trough a few times and the nothernmost long distance ralley we did was both unmetalled caminos and roughly the hight of Barcelona - Burgos - Leon.

    Wish you a great trip!
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  41. #491
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    Went down to Málaga, at night, and the light is simply awesome. No doubt because the bulbs I took out were original fittings thus pasy their best. No flashing headlight from oncoming traffic.

    This morning, júst before going out to enjoy the sunny day at the seaside, deciding to go topless in ´De Kikker´, Málaga Girl said she had a present for me.
    She was having barely suppressed fun giving me the wrapped thing.


    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  42. #492
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1

    OOOPS, oh my....

    Been faffing with aero mods basically since I first got the car.
    It being relatively lightweight and aero being worthwhile even on bicycles, it is effective on the Spyder.

    As a matter of course a rear spoiler, wing passes the revue too ofcourse. They are tricky though to get right. Also not passing unnoticed. Then I get a Black Friday offer because I´d been looking at the things. I make a counter offer and ... it is accepted. Wow.
    So there is a SillyBigWing under way.
    Ah well, fot that price I´ll give it a go. Worst case I set it up for no adverse effect and it will be just fitting in with the Manga look.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  43. #493
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Been faffing with aero mods basically since I first got the car.
    It being relatively lightweight and aero being worthwhile even on bicycles, it is effective on the Spyder.

    As a matter of course a rear spoiler, wing passes the revue too ofcourse. They are tricky though to get right. Also not passing unnoticed. Then I get a Black Friday offer because I´d been looking at the things. I make a counter offer and ... it is accepted. Wow.
    So there is a SillyBigWing under way.
    Ah well, fot that price I´ll give it a go. Worst case I set it up for no adverse effect and it will be just fitting in with the Manga look.
    You can log how much it slows it down, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0NgBbJPck

  44. #494
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1

    :-)

    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  45. #495
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1

    Cool




    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  46. #496
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    16,401
    Thats the funniest thing I've seen all week! Thanks for that.
    Cuidich 'n Righ

  47. #497
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1

    You´re wellcome.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  48. #498
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    23,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  49. #499
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    766
    You need some six foot long exhausts sticking through the bonnet to complete the look.


  50. #500
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    16,401
    Just need the side pipes and slot mags now for the full custom look.

    Cuidich 'n Righ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information