closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Which cabrio?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

already have an ARROW motorcycle no-silencer to cover the exhaust subect.
    Nicely on topic with the aero wing as the stabelising feather on a arrow.
    And the JDM culture thing I have covered with the tsurikawa.

My sister said she thinks it ugly.
    Phew, that´s a relief, a compliment actually: She is as conservative in her taste as Rolex wearers.

Was thinking of the below in a Japanese red character sign block on the rear of the wing

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This thread becomes more cringeworthy by the minute. Please just put an end to this torture. The car in question looks like a complete debacle. Each and every “improvement” hurts more than the one before.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    This thread becomes more cringeworthy by the minute. Please just put an end to this torture. The car in question looks like a complete debacle. Each and every “improvement” hurts more than the one before.
    There´s the ignore buton or simply don´t read. A tip for if you cannot help yourself; don´t take it seriously; I don´t either. Bar accidental visits I stay away from SUV, EV, ostentatious car threads with blokes taking appearances and themselves so bóringly serious.

Meanwhile had great fun. Did some 300 kms with the sillybigwing and just back into the mountains. The last 30 or so kms of B-roads where a challenging mud slide; not a méter of clean/dry tarmac. So not breaking speed records, but thoroughly enjoyed the massively increased stability. Not sure if the extra confidence inspiring stability increases safety as the gríp is only marginaly increased if at all.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Made copies of the side plates in ´cartón pluma´.
    The original ones are almost 500 gram each, these are 50 gram the pair.

The whole wing assemby weighs 3.4 kg now. Will probably replace the aluminium strus with impregnated multiples just for the heck of it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool Sunny winter

We are having a glórious winter here. Several weeks of stable sunny weather.
    Sofar have had the hard top on only 4 days! and not driven around with the soft top up even thát many!!

Did an innocuous mod that had a surprising effect:
    Fitted a spacer under the mass airflow sensor, took the calibrating vanes out and fitted the larger capacity injectors of the 2ZZ Celica engine.
    Better response and a handfull of horses more at the top end but the biggy is a lót fatter mid range. It is like being in a lower gear or in other words having more cilinder capacity.

The eagle eyed can spot the spacer:

It definitely has more balls now:

Last edited by Huertecilla; 14th February 2020 at 10:45.

if you knew the flow rate and the duty cycle of the injectors, you could work out what you have done, you might get more out of it with a re-map

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    if you knew the flow rate and the duty cycle of the injectors, you could work out what you have done, you might get more out of it with a re-map
    I know both and it has been measured; including the change in airflow ánd the reading of the MAF sensor. The O2 sensors keep the metering as intended.

The change is mostly an ignition advance through the changed MAF reading at the throttle positions. Hence the enigine must now be fed RON95. OEM it is tuned for 91.
    The second effect is less restrictive flow and the increased flow rate compensates.

The mod is an all or nothing developed by an owner (uni professor) who had access to a lot of measuring equipment through his work.
    It was a spin off from looking into why the after market ´cool air´ kits were ALL léss efficient than the OEM set up.

Because of the long stroke and the head desígn, sports cams and porting only give mudane gains and on the dyno the MAF mod was compaired on the same engine, with the same air box/exhaust and gave the same result but with better response mid range.
    Sadly for the owner, the mod did not play well with the cams; the shifted ignition timing was off for the sports cams.

Re-mapping is out of the question as nobody has cracked the Toyota codes. The alternative is a piggy back ecu and thát opens Pandorras box.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 14th February 2020 at 12:10.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This morning; at the far end of an áwesome touge road....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool Feeling quite at ´home´ now

Added chrome ring tweeter covers. That is how they are called. They don´t áctually cover tweeters; I deleted those O:-)

All in all looking a lot more classic ´sportscar´. Very much like my old Alfa Gulia GT 1300 Junior and it´s Spider sister. Do see the véry first post in this thread...

Last edited by Huertecilla; 24th February 2020 at 14:58.

Is the car an auto?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Is the car an auto?

You still shift yourself. It is sequential both up and down, it only operates the clutch automatically.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Is the car an auto?
    Oh dear.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Oh dear.
    Stíll here???

Oh dear indeed

Master
    Some interesting mods on your car, here was mine.

logos and images free

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Added chrome ring tweeter covers. That is how they are called. They don´t áctually cover tweeters; I deleted those O:-)

All in all looking a lot more classic ´sportscar´. Very much like my old Alfa Gulia GT 1300 Junior and it´s Spider sister. Do see the véry first post in this thread...

Blog Entries
    You still shift yourself. It is sequential both up and down, it only operates the clutch automatically.
    So it's an auto, which can be shifted manually, or left in auto to shift itself?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post

logos and images free
    That number plate is something else!

logos and images free

That has to be one of the best plates I've ever seen!

Possibly only bested by H1 1 58AG...
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 24th February 2020 at 19:20.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    So it's an auto, which can be shifted manually, or left in auto to shift itself?

It is an SMT; a sequential manual gearbox. It can ónly be shifted by driver input.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 24th February 2020 at 20:02.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing; lóve your plate indeed! Só spot on for my life style

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    That has to be one of the best plates I've ever seen!

Possibly only bested by H1 1 58AG...
    I get equal measures of love and hate for this plate, I can tell you!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Same thing my life style, I can tell you

It´s just less in your face than the plate.

Oddly enough my LOUD! exhaust almost only gets positive, enthusiastic even, responses.

Blog Entries
    It is an SMT; a sequential manual gearbox. It can ónly be shifted by driver input.
    Not the Mazda Powershift model then? Which gearbox is it?

I’m in the latter camp I’m afraid, but each to their own

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not the Mazda Powershift model then? Which gearbox is it?
    Make an educated guess.
    I will give you a hint; it´s a Toyota

See above: SMT; Sequential Manual Transmission.

Here a japanese track comparison between the SMT and the conventional one

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=68750.0

over here in the mountains the SMT is a blast.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 24th February 2020 at 20:17.

It’s not a true SMT though is it?

It’s just a normal auto box, with some electronics to mimic SMT behaviour.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Talking

´Normal auto box´ oh dear. I am not even curious to what you think ís a normal auto box nowadays. Same thing whether you know what a sequential box is.
    Ah well, tant pis ; where there is no will, there is no way.
    If you do have the will there is info under your fingers.

Master
    As a MK3 MR2 owner for the last 14 years, it has always been called SMT, if you want to argue that, then perhaps Toyota is the place to ask, as they have always called their semi auto thing SMT.

Blog Entries
    Make an educated guess.
    I will give you a hint; it´s a Toyota

See above: SMT; Sequential Manual Transmission.

Here a japanese track comparison between the SMT and the conventional one

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=68750.0

over here in the mountains the SMT is a blast.
    Yes was thinking MX5 rather than MR2, these little cars were never really my thing tbh.
    Reading reviews it doesn’t seem a very sporty set up, most regarding it slow to change. But if you’re happy with that.

Master
    Yes was thinking MX5 rather than MR2, these little cars were never really my thing tbh.
    Reading reviews it doesn’t seem a very sporty set up, most regarding it slow to change. But if you’re happy with that.
    I don’t get this argument... My auto Mustang suffers the same criticism, it’s not a proper PDK, sequential etc etc. It’s slow to change...

Ok, it’s not Porsche PDK, but it can still change up or down a lot faster than I could in a manual. I suspect the Toyota SMT is the the same, despite being old tech, it’s still faster than a human..😎

Banned
    Blog Entries

It is not as slow as the motoring press suggests. See the fáctual back to back comparison track test.
    Also, in real life it is quicker than the average normal shift and in anger the car is more stable as the shift control is optimal.
    I find it ideal for blasting up/down mountain passes and the downshifting is simply áwesome.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 24th February 2020 at 22:38.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I don’t get this argument... My auto Mustang suffers the same criticism, it’s not a proper PDK, sequential etc etc. It’s slow to change...

Ok, it’s not Porsche PDK, but it can still change up or down a lot faster than I could in a manual. I suspect the Toyota SMT is the the same, despite being old tech, it’s still faster than a human..
    Basically it boils down to a mistaken perception of dy hard ´sporting´ driving. I mean those moaning sissies dó want synchromesh!!!
    If CVT were not prohibited all F1 cars would have it and the current systems are needlessly overcomplicated proximations circumventing the ban on automatics and cvt.
    Bottom line on the public road is that the whole lot, from tradiotional torque coberter automatics to double clutch flipper machines are SAFER to drive.

The Toyota SMT is a bit of an odd duck. It is a proper mechanical sequential gearbox with a traditional single disch clutch; the exact same clutch as the normal box and the box is akin a motorcycle one.
    Where the ´automatic´ bit enters in play is in the actuation of the clutch and gear selector.
    It only changes óne gear at a time up or down upon driver input. Call it fly by wire if you want and then the ecu performs the shift through electro-hydraulics. If the electronics or electro-hydraulics fail you can convert the system to traditional; the clutch and box are ´manual´.

In normal use the ecu shifts up faster than a human driver.
    The ´problem´ is that the driver cannot abuse it. You cannot force the linkage quicker than you should.
    There is a however minor routine change that the journalist by and large did not get and which can make upshifts about as quick as obliging the box; that is by slightly lifting whíle actuating the lever.

The upside of not being able to oblige the mechanism in any way is that the wear and tear is minimal and stability optimal.
    Downshifts are as quick as humanly possible and never fail.

On an average mountain pass it is way easier ánd quicker than a conventional box as it is less taxing and it never makes a mistake. Oh and did I mention traffic??
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 24th February 2020 at 22:42.

Two pedals = left-foot braking. I messed around in a Smart Roadster Coupé for a while and quickly realised the way round the slightly hesitant 'box was to left-foot brake and simply not bother changing down going into corners and back up coming out. The car was small, nimble and surprisingly grippy enough to carry a fair bit more speed and became massive fun to throw around at every opportunity.

Oh, unless it's like VWs used to be (possibly still are, dunno) where the power would cut out if you moved your foot even a fraction on the throttle while your left foot was on the brake.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Ok, it’s not Porsche PDK, but it can still change up or down a lot faster than I could in a manual. I suspect the Toyota SMT is the the same, despite being old tech, it’s still faster than a human..😎
    [/
    It is not as slow as the motoring press suggests. See the fáctual back to back comparison track test.
    Also, in real life it is quicker than the average normal shift and in anger the car is more stable as the shift control is optimal.
    I find it ideal for blasting up/down mountain passes and the downshifting is simply áwesome.

To be honest I have an auto and am collecting another auto in March. I’ve never worried about the speed of shifting in an auto, but apparently the Toyota box wasn’t a true auto and reviewers found it slow.
    Having owned a Pontiac Trans Am 6.6 with a manual box, among others including autos, my personal choice would always be an auto.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 24th February 2020 at 23:24.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Two pedals = left-foot braking. I messed around in a Smart Roadster Coupé for a while and quickly realised the way round the slightly hesitant 'box was to left-foot brake and simply not bother changing down going into corners and back up coming out. The car was small, nimble and surprisingly grippy enough to carry a fair bit more speed and became massive fun to throw around at every opportunity.

Oh, unless it's like VWs used to be (possibly still are, dunno) where the power would cut out if you moved your foot even a fraction on the throttle while your left foot was on the brake.
    Nope, does not cut out gas nor clutch untill at 5 km/h or so to avoid stalling.

And about the left foot braking; it´s how you make a DAF55 fast and a Volvo 345 baffling ;-)
    That observed I must say that the 1ZZ engine is só forgiving from under 2k to wherever on the rev counter that mountain passes are just about all 2nd and 3rd. Especially 3rd is an amazing gear.
    The MAF mod did not chánge that; it made the throttle just a bit more responsive and some more grunt from 2 to 5k.

Btw. There ís a forced launch ´mode´ the ECU will allow. If you rev above 4k in N an alarm will sound if you push it in first but it wíll do it regardless of the revs. The motoring journalist appearently did not ;-)
    The japanese testers did...
    Read the effing manual!!
    I have done it ónce just to rty but I see no sense it it. If I had wanted to burn rubber from a standing start I should have bought a different car, not a corner flasher.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Exclamation 40.000

Just seen we are 40.000!! watch-ers far on this thread. And then we still have a neat, animated interchange.
    ...and that about a Corolla engined Toyota two-seater.
    I lóve it.
    Thanks guys!

Just seen we are 40.000!! watch-ers far on this thread. And then we still have a neat, animated interchange.
    I lóve it.
    Thanks guys!
    I think 39,000 of those clicks were people who'd heard one of the pictures has one of your girlfriends in it, naked...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think 39,000 of those clicks were people who'd heard one of the pictures has one of your girlfriends in it, naked...
    Got some more of some more but either too risqué for here or too recogniseble
    Mán there are some stories there. Latest was two weekends ago. The lady, a political vip, with the top down felt like Ava Gardner she said so ´dressed´ in scarf and sunglasses only...

Have a set of side window wind deflectors underway and plan to make some sexy photos; they are see through after all, when I have them fitted.

The other on the list is snap some with the Osborne Bulls.

Yes it is fun being me with a cabrio under the sun

I lóve it.
    Thanks guys!

found 2 of the 40'000

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    found 2 of the 40'000
    Nice one!!
    I can imagine; fantasy island for them ;-)

If the deflectors arrive before Friday, I can combine the see through view with gf and bull. Planning a road trip to Huelva, the weather forecast is sunny and there´s several of those monuments on route. That gf is game alright.

Also want to take some snap shots on an octagonal ´square´ in Archidona. That is só pittoresque. Right in town center though, it is literally the town centre!, so thát gf is not likely to feature. She might voluteer but I will not ask her.

p.s. for those not familiar with the local folklore here there is some about females touching the (Osborne) bull´s balls.
    Not as easy as it sounds. For one the structures are often difficult to get to and the balls are quite high up; climbing up in the scaffolding a necessity.
    Now, I know several on TZ go to Nerja for holidays so; there is a reasonably accessible Osborne Bull in Almayate.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 25th February 2020 at 11:28. Reason: added p.s.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A glorious evening in Huelva at the end of a glorious day. Yes I have an adults only version only too thus not for here ;-)

Blog Entries
    A glorious evening in Huelva at the end of a glorious day. Yes I have an adults only version only too thus not for here ;-)

Is that the straight from the Mortuary slab one or the Embalmed version do us all a favour either get meds or a life
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Dear god man. Do you have any concept of how you come across

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Is that the straight from the Mortuary slab one or the Embalmed version do us all a favour either get meds or a life
    I think he has one, just living somewhere warm with amazing scenery - and more importantly roads - and a lightweight two-seat car he can play with, along with a selection of girlfriends, isn't what other people would define as 'a life'.

In fairness, he has ruined an otherwise decent car.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

I think he has one, just living somewhere warm with amazing scenery - and more importantly roads - and a lightweight two-seat car he can play with, along with a selection of girlfriends, isn't what other people would define as 'a life'.
    Í do

and taste apart, the car (mortuary slab included) wórks

Done close to 700 kms the past days on ethanol free RON98 Foxy100 and it makes a clear difference. The knock sensor does not retard the ignition under load ánd 100% petrol is notably more energetic in this relatively small capacity engine.
    The bottom line was/is better fuel economy yet more oompf up long steep slopes.

Blog Entries

No doubt available on an 'amateur video' site somewhere!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

No doubt available on an 'amateur video' site somewhere!!
    Unlike a video of having fun with your car in the public space, topless charming company in a cabrio, still goes unpunished. So, for those with ambitions to have a life I can wholeheartedly endorse enjoying several loving gfs. Speeding gets you fined and makes you paranoid. Promiscuity among conscenting adults is healthy fun and good for your mood

Talking about women like it’s the 70’s whilst whizzing around in a car from an 80’s video game. I’m really not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Talking about women like it’s the 70’s whilst whizzing around in a car from an 80’s video game. I’m really not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing tbh
    Are you NÚTS? Having seventies liberal fun whizzing around in an eighties manga car under 21st C. 300 days sun/year and you try shine a gloomy light?!
    By all means, you´re welcome to it.

To put it in perspective; droves of Britons pay easily 1K per week for an akin holiday... if they are lucky.

Í do

and taste apart, the car (mortuary slab included) wórks

Done close to 700 kms the past days on ethanol free RON98 Foxy100 and it makes a clear difference. The knock sensor does not retard the ignition under load ánd 100% petrol is notably more energetic in this relatively small capacity engine.
    The bottom line was/is better fuel economy yet more oompf up long steep slopes.
    I'm thinking again about Jenvey ITBs (plus head work and fast road cams, I already have the lightened fly and plug-and-play ECU) on my MX-5. Think this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2be9KhWo0gg