closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice please: Mercedes GLE or VW Touareg

Advice please: Mercedes GLE or VW Touareg

Gents,

Long story short I’ll be ditching the company car and buying my first privately owned ‘daily driver’ in twenty years after Christmas and would appreciate your advice.

I’ve narrowed it down to a 2016/17-ish, c.30k miles VW Touareg or Mercedes 350 GLE.
    I’m aware that Volvo XC90’s can be had for similar money but to be honest I just think it’s a lot of car to lug with a 2.0 litre engine, although I’m massively open to correction!

I’m also aware that both the GLE and VW have recently been replaced but that’s not an issue, and I’m looking at a budget of c.£25k which rules out the newer models anyway.

I do need 4WD as I work in construction and waste management and often carry out site visits in the middle of fields/unmade ground etc: it’s nothing that demands a Landy but I do need 4WD and I also have arthritis in my hips so I much prefer getting ‘up and into’ a car rather than struggling to get ‘up and out of’ if that makes sense?

Your thoughts and advice very much appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by spuds; 7th November 2020 at 20:41. Reason: Spelling check

Master
    I think the old Touareg looks really old now. There’s a big visual difference between the new and old model.

You might have ruled out the Volvo but in terms of looks and tech I think it’s an option.

I’ve no idea about the Touareg, but a few years back I rented a Mercedes GL in the states and it was the size of a house. Big even by US standards, I don’t think it’d be much fun on UK roads. It also did 11 MPG and I wasn’t thrashing it (although it was a V8 petrol, not sold here).

Cheers,

Plug

Apologies - the GL is what’s now known as the GLS. The GLE used to be known as the ML. Confused? You will be...

Cheers,

Plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I think the old Touareg looks really old now. There’s a big visual difference between the new and old model.

You might have ruled out the Volvo but in terms of looks and tech I think it’s an option.
    Absolutely understand your comments thank you and yep if I could test drive an XC90 between now and needing to buy I might well be swayed....

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Apologies - the GL is what’s now known as the GLS. The GLE used to be known as the ML. Confused? You will be...

Cheers,

Plug.
    Yep the GLE I’d be looking at is basically a facelifted ML.... (the GLS being much bigger and probably better!)

What price is a new shape Touareg start at?

I would take the GLE over the old shape; I wouldn’t touch the Volvo (personal choice)I’d take the new shape VW or a Lexus RX450h as my current choice of 4x4 - although I’d love a Cayenne Turbo or an SQ7 :)

I never drove the Merc, but I drove a Touareg, Lexus and Q5. My biggest regret was buying a Q5 TSFI, I should have bought the Touareg 3.0 TDi or Lexus RX. I really liked the VW tbh. Cannot comment on the Merc.

Master
    Xc90 is lovely to drive and having owned both currents and previous generations, subliminal comfort drive back from Denmark and still felt comfortable and reasonably fresh. You can get massaging seats and heated and cooled to add to comfort. Never used mine off road so can’t comment.. The old vw Touareg is a lovely car but as stated looks aged.
    Can’t comment on the Mercedes, Lexus looks lovely on the outside however I found the inside to be drab.
    Last edited by shoppy; 7th November 2020 at 23:50.

Master
    Looked at all 3 when buying and had similar worries about the xc90 engine being too small however after driving all we went for the Volvo, just over a year on and still feel I’ve made the right decision it’s a lovely place to be.

Master
    Had an ML and the quality was poor. Experienced a number of issues. To be fair the customer service was ok but that didn't make up for the issues.

I changed it for a Lexus RX. Best car we've ever had.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Had an ML and the quality was poor. Experienced a number of issues. To be fair the customer service was ok but that didn't make up for the issues.

I changed it for a Lexus RX. Best car we've ever had.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    It was a Lexus RX I wanted to try but the wife vetoed it on looks , they look a superb car

Just a note that the GLE350 was available massively discounted circa. £41k in mid-2018 (I ended up buying a GLC220 for £33k from the same source) so bargain hard if you go the Merc route if they’re quoting ‘was £60k new’.

How about the Audi Q7 ? 3lt.

Inside, the new merc infotainment system is a class above the others at the moment. It's a nice place to be.

Craftsman
    My vote would be with the Volvo and maybe also consider the XC60 too.

Four years now into running a V40CC T5 AWD as a main family car and its 2ltr has a lot of power and an excellent 4x4 system.

Also the three Volvo dealers I've dealt with, with this and a previous Volvo, have been very customer focused; maybe just lucky but that's my experience.

Craftsman
    Slightly smaller than the SUVs mentioned so far but the Alfa Romeo Stelvio is worth a look.

Thanks for all the comments Gents, I’ll definitely hold off until I can at least test drive the XC90.

Master
    The XC90 always seems to be at the bottom of the reliability survey lists, never owned one myself but seriously considering a T5 XC60 as our next car.

Craftsman
    Merc interiors are crap. We hired a GLC SUV in the states last year and it’s so cheap and crap inside, I’d expect more from a car carrying the price tag.

Hopefully the VW interior is better.

Craftsman
    I will be selling the wife’s 2016 Merc GLC in next month or two if interested?

Another vote for Lexus here.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I’ve had an ML350 then had a Touerag R Line, the ML was a better looking car but the Volkswagen was superb to drive and handled better in my opinion.
    Looking at another 4 x 4 myself and quite fancy the XC90 older shape though, the new one looks pants

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Inside, the new merc infotainment system is a class above the others at the moment. It's a nice place to be.
    That’s what I meant to say too, in a merc from the last year you’d get a much much better dash/info system.

Obviously out of your hands but I wouldn’t be surprised if it put you onto something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    The XC90 always seems to be at the bottom of the reliability survey lists, never owned one myself but seriously considering a T5 XC60 as our next car.
    I didn’t know that about the XC90, thanks for the heads up...

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Merc interiors are crap. We hired a GLC SUV in the states last year and it’s so cheap and crap inside, I’d expect more from a car carrying the price tag.

Hopefully the VW interior is better.
    Funnily enough my mate said the exact same thing but I have a 350SL and that’s a lovely place to sit....

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    I will be selling the wife’s 2016 Merc GLC in next month or two if interested?
    Thank you but I’m after a full-size rather than mid-size to haul all my gear and the dog in the back...

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Another vote for Lexus here.
    No idea why but the Lexus just doesn’t ‘do it’ for me....

Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    I’ve had an ML350 then had a Touerag R Line, the ML was a better looking car but the Volkswagen was superb to drive and handled better in my opinion.
    Looking at another 4 x 4 myself and quite fancy the XC90 older shape though, the new one looks pants

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    It’s the Touareg R-Line I’m looking at but the old shape (the new one starting at 35k+ being way over budget) and as others have already said, as much as I like it, it is starting to look dated...

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    That’s what I meant to say too, in a merc from the last year you’d get a much much better dash/info system.

Obviously out of your hands but I wouldn’t be surprised if it put you onto something else.
    The dash in the new shape GLE (along with the new shape Touareg) both seem almost like something out of Star Trek!!
    A part of me just thinks “even more things too bloody complicated and expensive to fix if they go wrong!!”

Thanks again for all the advice Gents....

Master
    A friend had the XC70 and now has the XC90 we regularly use it off road, lugging marquees and camping kit that our scout group has hired out, I'd have no qualms in getting one if needing for off-road duties, and there so comfortable on a long drive.
    Unfortunately a little too big for us otherwise I'd have spent more time trying to convince the wife we needed one.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

I've had the Lexus - excellent, beautifully built, not that economical, totally reliable.
    I've had the Touareg R-Line 3.0TDi (2017 model from new) - kept it for two years. Superb vehicle - very comfortable, totally reliable, not very economical.
    I currently have a Merc GLC Coupe 300 (had it one year from new) - seems very reliable, quick, quite good fun to drive, lots of tech, boot small, interior looks stylish but quality nowhere near as good as Lexus or Touareg.

A friend has the Volvo - lovely place to sit, feels quality, engine a little underpowered but generally fine if you are not going to be towing heavy loads.

I will change my daily driver again in about a year's time and at the moment most likely to go for a Jaguar iPace or a Tesla Model Y, although I will take a look at the Mercedes EQC, and any other fully electric or hybrid SUV's that come out.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    Out of the 2 choices the OP has - I think the Merc is the "nicer" car (nicer interior, ICE, looks etc), however the Touareg is the "better" car (stronger engine, better built, more capable offroad etc).

If I was spending £25k on a daily driver, which needed to be a quality, robust and reliable tool, which could handle the odd building site, I'd probably look at Hyundai (Santa Fe, Tuscon etc.) or Kia (Sportage, Sorrento etc.). You can easily pick up a 2018/2019 model from a dealer, with the remainder of the 5/7 year warranty within your budget. Badge snobbery aside, they're very decent cars.

Craftsman
    I feel the VW does look very dated now and so would likely lean to the Merc (funny enough I've got the new GLE on hire at the moment and it's a nice drive). Would certainly recommend a drive in a XC90, the 2l engine does perform better than expected and it' got decent tech inside (virtual dash etc).

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    A friend had the XC70 and now has the XC90 we regularly use it off road, lugging marquees and camping kit that our scout group has hired out, I'd have no qualms in getting one if needing for off-road duties, and there so comfortable on a long drive.
    Unfortunately a little too big for us otherwise I'd have spent more time trying to convince the wife we needed one.
    Thanks for that, it's god to know that the Volvo'd perform off-road, but I still have reservations that it's going to @@@@ me off and feel underpowered going from my current daily driver which is an old shape Range Rover Vogue with a 4.4 TD V8 lump in it........

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I've had the Lexus - excellent, beautifully built, not that economical, totally reliable.
    I've had the Touareg R-Line 3.0TDi (2017 model from new) - kept it for two years. Superb vehicle - very comfortable, totally reliable, not very economical.
    I currently have a Merc GLC Coupe 300 (had it one year from new) - seems very reliable, quick, quite good fun to drive, lots of tech, boot small, interior looks stylish but quality nowhere near as good as Lexus or Touareg.

A friend has the Volvo - lovely place to sit, feels quality, engine a little underpowered but generally fine if you are not going to be towing heavy loads.

I will change my daily driver again in about a year's time and at the moment most likely to go for a Jaguar iPace or a Tesla Model Y, although I will take a look at the Mercedes EQC, and any other fully electric or hybrid SUV's that come out.
    I've heard only good things about the Touareg, it's just the dated-looks that are giving me reservations but it's certainly a massive amount of car for the money and probably the way I'm leaning at the mo'...

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Out of the 2 choices the OP has - I think the Merc is the "nicer" car (nicer interior, ICE, looks etc), however the Touareg is the "better" car (stronger engine, better built, more capable offroad etc).

If I was spending £25k on a daily driver, which needed to be a quality, robust and reliable tool, which could handle the odd building site, I'd probably look at Hyundai (Santa Fe, Tuscon etc.) or Kia (Sportage, Sorrento etc.). You can easily pick up a 2018/2019 model from a dealer, with the remainder of the 5/7 year warranty within your budget. Badge snobbery aside, they're very decent cars.
    "however the Touareg is the "better" car (stronger engine, better built, more capable offroad etc)" inclines me further towards the Touareg and I've gotta be honest I am indeed too much of a (totally irrational and unjustifiable) 'badge snob" to go for the Hyundai or the Kia.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    I feel the VW does look very dated now and so would likely lean to the Merc (funny enough I've got the new GLE on hire at the moment and it's a nice drive). Would certainly recommend a drive in a XC90, the 2l engine does perform better than expected and it' got decent tech inside (virtual dash etc).
    Thanks for this, I'll definitely give all three a test drive as soon as lockdown opens things up again.

Thank you again for all your input Gents, it's genuinely helpful to hear from actual owners and drivers rather than just read the What Car type reviews on line.

Craftsman
    Just realised the GLE 300d I’ve been driving is also a 2l diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold my 2016 XC90 in September having owned it for about 3 and a half years. I definitely didn’t have any reliability issues during that time and only had to replace a few tyres in my ownership (mainly due to nails!) and nothing else major.
    We only got rid of it because we decided to go down to one car and no longer needed a 7 seater. Living in London the XC90 did feel massive when parking in a space. It was a great drive, particularly on long journeys, but wasn’t quick off the mark when pulling out into traffic etc. We’ve now got the XC40 recharge which probably gets about the same mpg when not on battery power but is much nippier.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

When in a decent spec, the GLC/GLE coupes are so striking.

Very nice.