closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 116520 service neccesity.

Journeyman

Rolex 116520 service neccesity.

Evening all, sorry to keep the rolex and in particular daytona centricity going but I have a quick question.

I have found a nice looking 2004 SS 116520 at a small local jeweler for the lower end of the crazy current asking prices. It's always a watch I have admired and would like to get before they become even more expensive.

The watch its self is in very good nick but has 0 service history. Its difficult to gauge running etc with it being in the shop. The question to those in the know being.. Should 14 years with no service on that movement be a worry?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice?

ISCB

Sent from my STF-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Rolex 116520 service neccesity.

Only ever had a service when watch started losing time, people will probably gasp at this but my motto is if it ain’t broke....... got a 2009 Rolex that’s not skipped a beat since new. Surely the jeweller knows how fast or slow it’s running over 2-3 days??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Only ever had a service when watch started losing time, people will probably gasp at this but my motto is if it ain’t broke....... got a 2009 Rolex that’s not skipped a beat since new. Surely the jeweller knows how fast or slow it’s running over 2-3 days??

I'm sure the dealer has a good idea but I'm just a little skittish given the initial premium on the watch...! I'm glad to hear yours has done so well, may I ask if it was a similar a similar watch?

Thanks for the input!!

ISCB

Journeyman
    Thanks Henk, I might try and get the dealer to factor some of the cost of a service but given current demand I might be on a loser!

ISCB

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Don't listen to tight wad brigade get it serviced!
    Strange comment. If buying from a jeweller, surely they should be checking that is running ok and providing some sort of warranty. If it is not running ok, they should not sell it without fixing it!
    If it is running ok, they should provide a warranty and there should be no need for a service. As a buyer, you should think about the need for a service if it goes wrong outside of the warranty period.

If they are not providing a warranty, then ask yourself why not. You could factor in the price of a service, but if they don’t provide a warranty for the running, can they guarantee it is 100% genuine?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ISCB View Post
    I'm sure the dealer has a good idea but I'm just a little skittish given the initial premium on the watch...! I'm glad to hear yours has done so well, may I ask if it was a similar a similar watch?

Thanks for the input!!

ISCB

It is a deep sea. Factor price of having a service but if running ok then I don’t see the need, always good to get some £ off anyways, never hurt to ask, good luck either way

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If running an ok I wouldn’t give it a second thought. You say it’s a dealer. If it’s a shop/jewellers I wouldn’t worry at all. If a private dealer then you are taking your chances. But it is a Rolex after all. Probablyrunning fine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    It is a deep sea.
    It’s actually a Daytona

EDIT - just reread your post and you have the Deep Sea :)
    Last edited by mtagrant; 19th August 2018 at 23:30.

Quote Originally Posted by P.Sheridan View Post
    If running an ok I wouldn’t give it a second thought. You say it’s a dealer. If it’s a shop/jewellers I wouldn’t worry at all. If a private dealer then you are taking your chances. But it is a Rolex after all. Probablyrunning fine.
    So what if it is a Rolex?
    The laws of physics apply!

Watched need regular servicing, approx 1 x per 7 years in my experience.
    If you don't have it serviced, be prepared for more wear and the need to replace more parts.

I really get angry with people saying a Rolex or Omega don't need servicing. It is utter nonsense.

Don't take it from me, but ask people like Webwatchmaker or Walkerwek.

Master
    If its gone 14 years without intervention its 100% time to service it. Movement may still run but gaskets will be dry and oils too. Don't "invest" in such a watch if you cant afford to maintain it. It's like buying a Ferrari and then leaving it outside all winter...

Master
    Nail, head.

- - - Updated - - -

Nail, head.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    If its gone 14 years without intervention its 100% time to service it. Movement may still run but gaskets will be dry and oils too. Don't "invest" in such a watch if you cant afford to maintain it. It's like buying a Ferrari and then leaving it outside all winter...
    What he said!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    This guy works on ‘em for a living.........I think it’s wise to heed his advice!

If the watch is cosmetically good, has all the bracelet links, has a tight bracelet, and all looks ‘right’, I’d buy it for the best price I could achieve then get it serviced soon. Not sure how much Rolex or the acredited Rolex repairers charge thesedays, might be worth finding out before negotiating to buy. Chronographs are always more expensive to service because there’s a lot more to them, they’re far more demanding to work on than a 3 hander.

Paul

I'd get it serviced. It's had a long interval and will come back looking peachy. If it were me I'd ask them to keep the dial, hands and case original with maybe a light polish.

Grand Master
    I think peace of mind is as good a reason as any to get an expensive watch of this age serviced correctly.

Deteriorating seals is a strange one, I’ve often come across old seals that are still in good condition and still keeping the case (or crown) waterproof, but I’ve come across others that have clearly deteriorated to a point where they’re useless. Oddly enough, one of the worst was the caseback seal on my own 2003 Datejust! Took the back off a couple of years ago, didn’t expect the seal to have problems, but on close inspection it was cracking on the surface......not what I expected!

What you also have to consider is whether a seal will last another 5-7 years, that’s why it’s good practice to replace them when a watch is serviced. Modern synthetic rubbers last far better than the stuff used in the 60s but there’s no guarantee.

One last point; look carefully at the condition of the bezel. In my view a smart bezel is essential for these watches to look as they should. OK, it can be repolished to take fine scratches out, but beware of anything that’s been heavily polished to remove dings around edges. Last year I saw a couple in Watchfinder (Leeds) with bezels like this, both had obviously been heavily polished. I don’t know the price of a new bezel but it won’t be cheap, be sure this one’s all it should be before buying. A magnifier and a dose of experience help........good luck!

Master
    Rubbish! Even if the watch is running ok after 14 years the gasket will be as water proof as a colander. The lubricants will have dried/degraded, which can lead to further wear and tear with big bills to match. If you buy a top range mechanical watch and are too much of tight arse to maintain it properly, don't get one in the first place!! Ask a watch repairer!
    Most of what you post is rubbish Henk - and I am not the only one to say that.

We don’t know if it has been serviced do we - only that there is no service history with the watch! He is also buying from a dealer - should that dealer bear no responsibility for supplying a watch that is in good working order??

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Most of what you post is rubbish Henk - and I am not the only one to say that.

We don’t know if it has been serviced do we - only that there is no service history with the watch! He is also buying from a dealer - should that dealer bear no responsibility for supplying a watch that is in good working order??
    Well, I think Henk is mainly correct.
    If you buy a 14 yr old car with no service history, do you think anything going wrong with it is the sellers problem? Dream on.

I cannot understand people who can spend several k GBP on a watch but are unwilling to have it serviced. It is like buying a Ferrari and driving it until it breaks down, no servicing prior to that...

I think the OP is asking more about whether the lack of service history is something he should be concerned about with regards the overall condition of the watch internals.

I think they are not really asking whether or not it should NOW be serviced.

Master
    ^^ I think if the dealer can’t provide confirmation that the watch is running fine, and sufficient provenance that the watch is genuine, the OP should be concerned that there is no service history

Definately get a service done. I would factor in that costing up to £1k if sent to Rolex. Quite often the pushers need replacing along with the crown and the crystal.

Don't let the dealer say his man will do it for you - negotiate along the lines of factoring in a full Rolex service.

You cannot cut corners on this one, but image what that watch will be like on the wrist when it not only looks the business, but you know the insides are good too.

From the rolex service guy sitting next to me
    Get it serviced asap
    It doesnt matter if it doesnt have any “visible” issues

Craftsman
    I will agree with everyone hear. Get it serviced

Journeyman
    Evening All,

To give an update, the watch was purchased today and happily sitting on my wrist as I type. There was no budging from the dealer on the price (which was at the reasonable end if such a thing exists).

Before purchasing I read up on the questions to ask and areas to check (thanks to this forum!) and the dealer was able to answer all with comfort. They are a bricks and mortar setup who have been around for 7 years longer that I have, so this also helped ease any worries!

The watch has been supplied with a 1 year warranty. I fully intend to service the watch with Rolex before the end of the year. I feel the same with regards to wanting to know the internals are correct.

Many thanks to all who contributed, hopefully I will be able to assist a buyer who asks this question in a few years time!

ISCB

Master
    Evening All,

To give an update, the watch was purchased today and happily sitting on my wrist as I type. There was no budging from the dealer on the price (which was at the reasonable end if such a thing exists).

Before purchasing I read up on the questions to ask and areas to check (thanks to this forum!) and the dealer was able to answer all with comfort. They are a bricks and mortar setup who have been around for 7 years longer that I have, so this also helped ease any worries!

The watch has been supplied with a 1 year warranty. I fully intend to service the watch with Rolex before the end of the year. I feel the same with regards to wanting to know the internals are correct.

Many thanks to all who contributed, hopefully I will be able to assist a buyer who asks this question in a few years time!

ISCB

Get some pics up then!!! I’d use the years warranty to the fullest then get it serviced if you so wish, at least your maximising warranty’s and getting full value

Master
    I totally refute that and most of the voices of experience on this thread (see replies) are agreeing with what I am saying. You can't seem to comprehend the necessity to have watch serviced, this applies to all things mechanical with moving parts. It's you that's spouting the rubbish, not me!
    At least you have shown that you can formulate more than a sarcastic or derogatory one liner which is a change. However, your first post was another one liner adding little reasoning on justification.

If you read my posts, I am not saying that watches don’t need servicing, more that dealers who put large mark ups should take responsibility for what they sell - of course they need servicing.

In this case, thankfully, the dealer has given the watch a one year warranty, and appears to be a reputable dealer, so the OP is happy and will service before the year is out.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Strange comment. If buying from a jeweller, surely they should be checking that is running ok and providing some sort of warranty. If it is not running ok, they should not sell it without fixing it!
    If it is running ok, they should provide a warranty and there should be no need for a service. As a buyer, you should think about the need for a service if it goes wrong outside of the warranty period.

If they are not providing a warranty, then ask yourself why not. You could factor in the price of a service, but if they don’t provide a warranty for the running, can they guarantee it is 100% genuine?
    :) +1

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    So it's gradually sinking in that a 14 year old watch, with no service history, needs servicing! God give me strength!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Can you not read what I have actually written? I won’t engage with you any more - your stupid one liners will be lost on me whilst you are on ignore...

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Evening All,

ISCB

Great news!

If you don’t mind disclosing, what is “sensible” pricing???

Grand Master
    Not wishing to cast aspersions in the direction of the seller in this case, but a dealer states that a watch has been serviced, the chances are they've had it checked and decided it's running OK. They offer a 12 month guarantee, which is worthwhile, but that's a guarantee against the watch developing a definite fault or the timekeeping becoming wildly inaccurate. Possibly a watch will have been regulated prior to sale but this can be done to mask the fact that the watch really ought to be serviced. There are several factors to look for when deciding if a watch needs service, low amplitude is the easiest to check with a timegrapher, but there's a bit more to it than simply reading a figure. Ironically, the timekeeping is sometimes the least reliable indication, if the watch has been regulated to correct for low amplitude the timekeeping may appear reasonably good even though the watch isn`t running well.

As already pointed out, if a watch hasn`t been serviced for several years, that in itself is a good reason to get it serviced if you plan to keep it.

Unfortunately the cost of servicing all watches has risen sharply over the past 10 years. This is partly justified, although there's a significant 'rip off' factor where the top brands are concerned. Not saying they don`t do a fine job, but the owner's paying a premium for it. It's all part of the ownership experience with the newish expensive watches, but it's a bit hard to swallow when the watch in question is a 50 year old Accurist or even a 50 yr old hand-wound Omega.

Paul

Craftsman
    Evening All,

ISCB

Can we have some pictures please

Apprentice
    I have used this chap several times for servicing and recommended him to 4 friends as well, always a great job and I am thrilled with the results and the watches when they come back.
    His name is Terry and you could try phoning him for a chat first.

The most recent watch he did a few months ago for me came back like new but not looking over polished, he includes the old gaskets, o rings etc together with the pressure test results and the timing figures. It was a Tudor Chronograph, it was £275 I think as it was the chronograph movement, his prices are less for the GMT and also the datejust models.
    Here is his website

http://www.swiss-serv.co.uk/watch-repairs

I’d just get it serviced by Rolex asap. Sadly I don’t believe a word any dealer might say in regard to a ‘serviced’ watch particularly a Rolex - they cost as much as a car and I wouldn’t buy a car with no service paperwork so why buy a Watch in the same vein? ‘Honest mate we’ve had a look and changed the oil, she’s good for another hindred thousand miles, drives like a peach - why do you need something silly like a stamped service book’!?
    Not wishing to rain on the OP’s parade and I’m sure your watch will be fine - but people putting up with this kind of rubbish just perpetuates the BS spouted by dealers imho. Rant over 🤪

Master
    I bought a second hand breitling chronomat from a breitling ad and it started loosing Time from day one they told me it had been serviced not long ago the ad had 3 attempts to get it running right I didn't belive them and sent it to breitling and they said it needed a full service

Breitling serviced it as a good will gesture as I bought it from an ad, I for 1 wouldn't belive a thing dealers say cos if thay can save £500 of their profits by not paying for Rolex service they will do

Journeyman
    If me, I'd get it serviced asap to prove it's provenance also.

Craftsman
    If it were a 3 hander I would say let it be until it shows signs of not working as it should.

a chrono, get it serviced, especially if it possibly hasn't been serviced for 14 years.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    If it were a 3 hander I would say let it be until it shows signs of not working as it should.

a chrono, get it serviced, especially if it possibly hasn't been serviced for 14 years.
    In my experience it’s rare for the chronograph-specific parts to give problems, it’s usually the basic movement that starts to perform badly. Provided a monkey doesn’t mess up the adjustments, the chronograpgh operating parts of the movement won’t give trouble.

If it’s known that a watch hasn’t been serviced for many years it makes sense to get it serviced regardless of whether it’s a chrono or not.

Paul