closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: London airport shopping

Craftsman

London airport shopping

I know there is decent shopping in Heathrow if you get in the right terminal but everywhere else is dire. Having consumed far too much today I was just aching for some temptation at city . Unfortunately it’s just radio, tag and Fred const and I’m just not interested. Such a pity! And given that I go pretty much anywhere but Heathrow I feel I’m missing out in the enjoyable browsing that free time brings! Anyone else feel my pain??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it depends on which terminal you end up at Heathrow, but for me last year my return flight to the US was delayed by 3 hours and was lucky to be at a terminal (don’t remember exactly which one it was) but it was pretty much a shopping mall and some good watch eye candy. I remember seeing a white dial Rolex explorer II at the window and it was gone within the time I was there. I however, didn’t think the prices were any better or worse than those in the US considering exchange rates at the time.

Craftsman
    Watches of Switzerland (aka Ratners ;0) are at T3/4/5. Even if their prices are only on a par with the US, you don't have to worry about customs if you buy on a domestic flight, as the "duty free" price is really duty paid but discounted. Keep the receipt and you won't get stung sometime in the future when customs ask "where did you get that watch".

Bought my Speedy and Seamaster from them but was kicking myself the original cheaper Speedy had run out and they only had the big box bundles that were £600 more for some tat that stays in the cupboard until resale.

https://www.heathrow.com/shops-and-r...of-switzerland

Craftsman
    Gatwick has an okay shop but no Rolex. Last time I went through they had a sale on with some very decent prices on a few Longines, Omegas and Breitlings.

Master
    Went though Heathrow T2 over the weekend and they have the Rolex store which has the usual suspects (nothing interesting), and Harrods which has Omega, Longines, JLC, UN, GO, Panerai, Hublot, Tudor, IWC and a few others - decent selection

I'll be going through T5 in about a month's time. I'm probably most interested in Rolex but only sports models and I doubt I'll see any. Could pick up an Oyster Perpetual for the wife maybe...

Craftsman
    I have never seen anything at T5 (within reason) that has made me pull the trigger - always seem to just miss it!

I won't hark on about times gone by, but I was there maybe two years ago and saw a lot of Rolex sports models. Nothing super desirable like a Daytona but they had several Subs, GMTs etc

I'd never buy a quality watch on the spur of the moment, so an airport watch shop serves only to satisfy my desire to fill time before my flight doing something other than swigging lager or coffee (I don't fly enough these days to qualify for any lounges).

I did try on a nice Mont Blanc once at Heathrow and a Zenith El Primero at Geneva (which when I checked was dearer than UK list price even after a 'special discount'!), but I'd never buy at an airport personally.

M

If you pick up a watch from Heathrow on your way out (if you're flying outside the EU), do you officially need to declare it when you come back into the country and therefore end up having to pay the VAT anyway?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    If you pick up a watch from Heathrow on your way out (if you're flying outside the EU), do you officially need to declare it when you come back into the country and therefore end up having to pay the VAT anyway?

Two weeks on the drink on holiday makes some folk forgetful.....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    I'll be going through T5 in about a month's time. I'm probably most interested in Rolex but only sports models and I doubt I'll see any. Could pick up an Oyster Perpetual for the wife maybe...
    T5 has a Rolex store if I remember correctly

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    I bought one for my wife a couple of weeks ago (31, black) but they had very limited stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    T5 has a Rolex store if I remember correctly
    It does.

It is shop 24 on their map, downstairs on the right hand side as you head towards gates A18-A23. Watches of Switzerland is shop 16.

https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...row_T5_Map.pdf

Sadly the days of the Omega Boutique in Terminal 1 are now long gone. I often use to browse their selection of watches and twice used them to drop off my SMP for a service, to pick it up on a subsequent visit when passing through.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 4th September 2018 at 15:18.

Going to Brazil this month and I always get sucked in by the discounts. Only my wife stands in the way of me and stupidity!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Going to Brazil this month and I always get sucked in by the discounts. Only my wife stands in the way of me and stupidity!
    Isn’t that what wives are for? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Isn’t that what wives are for? :P
    Indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk