closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It’s too hot to sleep

It’s too hot to sleep

No content. Just grumbling.

"Air conditioning was a most important invention for us, perhaps one of the signal inventions of history.” - Lee Kuan Yew
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Apparently it was 24C outside an hour or so ago which felt more like 26C. Hot shower, ice cold watermelon and fan on lowest setting - am ready for bed
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Babies.

Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong here in South Devon. Temps are more or less perfect (for me; not the crops etc). Last night’s temps were good as well.

This morning cloudy but still good enough for breakfast in the garden wearing shorts and a short-sleeved shirt.

At home in NL, temps will hit the 30 - 35s the whole week...

Master
    We have a ceiling fan and it’s been lovely and cool. Well worth the money and wouldn’t be without it now

I spent over 4 hours on a train from Plymouth to London yesterday - no seats so sat in the corridor on my bag, no air conditioning or refreshments. Then had to use the underground to get home from Paddington which was even more crowded due to the closure of the circle and district lines. It was even hotter and more hell like and I was down there for an hour and a half. Once in it seemed like the flat had tuned into an enormous off peak storage heater and opening all the windows didn't seem to cool things down. Had the fan running all night but hardly slept. Im knackered this morning.

Its going to get hotter this week according the forecast

Master
    I've been toying with the idea of a portable AC unit but as soon as I buy it the weather will change no doubt!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Slept in the spare room last night, and i managed 3 hours sleep.

I'm not a hot weather person so I can't wait until we're back down to the usual 1-10c.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Draw the curtains when the suns on that side of the house.

I have a very,very quiet fan blowing straight over my head in bed it works a treat.
    I binned the duvet weeks ago and just use the duvet cover that also works a treat

Blog Entries
    Overhead fans like you find in the Carib are not a bad solution!

Master
    The met office has issued a yellow weather warning to stay out of the sun for the rest of the week. Unbelievable ! Further evidence of the nanny state we live in. Who’d have thought it - if you go out in the sun you may get hot or even sunburnt.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of a portable AC unit but as soon as I buy it the weather will change no doubt!
    Ha ha I had the same thought, almost got one last year (there was a thread on here) but then decided I couldn't be bothered to store it for the 5 days of heat each year. Decided to just cough up the £250 this year and was glad I did, even with a 10 day delivery time from Germany we've had plenty of use. The forecast is currently for heatwave well into August so still worth thinking about. They are limited, noisy, heavy, don't expect to move it up & down stairs, pipes are really short so has to be next to window and not supposed to extend them, really need proper window fixing as it will suck hot air back in the open window, only intended for 1 room but with a fan you can blast cool air around one floor.

Besides, if you order one and the heatwave does finish, still a result :)

Blog Entries
    Still used to the hot italian summers, here I sleep well just by creating some flow of air between the bedroom and bathroom windows.

Franco, Sheffield

This

Before getting into bed fill your bathroom sink with cold water

Immerse your hands so water above wrists for about 3-5 mins

You’ll dab dry and sleep better
    Body cooled by the pulse point

Works for me

Journeyman
    Lying here with my electric blanket on......
    Snug.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Please buy it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    We have a ceiling fan and it’s been lovely and cool. Well worth the money and wouldn’t be without it now
    How the other half live

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    How does that work? Hot air rises so leave it up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How does that work? Hot air rises so leave it up there!
    we have them too. This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Westinghous...ds=ceiling+fan

they get the air moving a bit - its all it takes. woke up about 3am a bit chilly so reduced the speed a bit.

From googling "The breeze from a properly sized and placed ceiling fan cools occupants by disrupting the stagnant layer of air that surrounds the body, preventing heat loss. The removal of that insulating layer of air increases a body’s heat loss to make it feel cooler."

Master
    11pm last night and it was still 24 degrees in our bedroom :-( Eventually fell asleep with all my bits exposed lying on top of the sheets (I know... not a nice thought). Woke up this morning totally knackered and with 8 mosquito bites :-( Must remember to dowse with Skin-so-Soft tonight before going to bed.

Blog Entries
    Ceiling fans still seem to be the norm in most hot countries (when there is no AC available) - seems to have worked for nearly a 100 years, so I don't doubt their effectiveness.

We have a South-facing bedroom, with a large window (3m x 1.2m) and it is quite unbearable by midday, even with curtains and/or shutters closed. You can forget sleeping in that room without a fan of some sort....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Ceiling fans still seem to be the norm in most hot countries (when there is no AC available) - seems to have worked for nearly a 100 years, so I don't doubt their effectiveness.
    Is that those that came with a punkah wallah.... reminiscing about 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' :-)

Master
    Ceiling fans work great in my opinion. As someone else says you often wake up chilly and have to slow it down a little.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dug mine out the shed, 30c to 27c in 15 minutes.

Desktop fan blasting at my body all night does the trick for me.

Couldn’t sleep without it.

I prefer the heat to being blasted by a fan!

LOVE the weather atm, the only downside is public transport which is totally unsuitable for any living being when it's above 20C and below -1C.. it's 2018 and we still do not have f aircons on 70% of the rolling stock above and under ground, or drivers not allowed to switch them on, moronic really. Boils my piss, literally.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Banned
    Blog Entries

No trouble sleeping AT ALL

Living in the southern part of andalucia where it currently read 38 degrees centigrade and I have nóóó trouble sleeping whatsoever.
    Not even when I stay at my gf´s in Malaga where humidity is high and sharply rises higher still in the ´cool´ of the night.
    Sofar we have not put on the airco at night nor have we put on the ceiling fan in the mountains.

Today, totally atypically, took a siesta and it is hót here. Rather a tiring weekend with a lót of dancing so took the rare opportunity to join mountain gf.
    Intended a 20 min. siesta but it turned insto longer love making followed by an hour of deep sleep. The gf is still out 2 hrs on.

IMO, thé thing is being in a relaxed state of mind.
    Have a good rump, read a book, do yoga, do mental zénnnnn, down a night cap, whatever but relax, slow down your brain, bé cool. You´l sleep perfectly fine then at the not at all tropical temp/humidity we experience.

Master
    Swear by these magic towels.

Wet them, wring it out, swing it around in the air & then wrap around wrist, back of neck or head as a bandana (deer hunter style!).

Really works. Had expected snake oil, but bought a couple for friends too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    LOVE the weather atm, the only downside is public transport which is totally unsuitable for any living being when it's above 20C and below -1C.. it's 2018 and we still do not have f aircons on 70% of the rolling stock above and under ground, or drivers not allowed to switch them on, moronic really. Boils my piss, literally.
    Having just spent a month in London, the Tube was just unbearable, just awful.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I prefer the heat to being blasted by a fan!
    Let’s call it gentle buffeting. And the white noise is eerily comforting.

We practically live in the a/ c between july and august
    Cant get any sleep without one or get any work done during the day
    41c atm during the day

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Let’s call it gentle buffeting. And the white noise is eerily comforting.
    I once worked in an office where a couple of women insisted desk fans be continuously on - just found the buffeting annoying and unpleasant. Probably the sensation the Dyson is supposed to avoid.

In the winter, of course they had the heaters on unreasonably high despite one of them wearing what were virtually hot-pants.

Craftsman
    Have a cool shower, don't dry off. Put a layer of towels on the bed.
    Repeat as necessary.
    Works for me when it is plus 40 in Egypt or Thailand.

God its hot here in West London

I am lying on the bed with the largest fan I could get hold of blowing me full blast

It sounds like an Avro Lancaster and will probably send me half deaf by the morning

Master
    Not at hot here in the south west as further east, but still 26 degrees upstairs and it’s humid. The only way I can sleep in this is to lie on top of the duvet, windows wide open and desk fan on the window sill gently blowing across the bed. I have to close the window around 5am though as the rooks start their awful racket around then. I do find a cold face wash, leave it wet, then sit in front of the fan for a few minutes while the water evaporates is very refreshing.

If you have one, open the loft hatch. Acts like a chimney and let's the hot air out.

Craftsman
    I'm missing 30C atm, this is the coldest winter I've seen in Melbourne - usually they remind me of a typical English summer. I feel for those not getting enough sleep as that's what I really hate about hot days: hot nights. On a really hot day keep the windows closed and curtains drawn. When the temperature turns later in the day (4.00pm in Melbourne) let the heat out. Unless you have cooling, preferably air-con and not evap cooling, you will suffer at night. It's not every night, thank goodness! I have to say that I am envious of your weather. Up to 30C I'm very happy, it's 40C that kills me.

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    If you have one, open the loft hatch. Acts like a chimney and let's the hot air out.
    Mine has expanded in the heat and will not open! That said I have 270mm insulation up there so that stops some of the heat being transmitted down into the flat, I’m lucky that I’m at the top of a hill and this part of london is a few ° cooler plus having a front and back windows I can pull air from a shady garden through in he evenings so sleep isn’t a problem. It has to get up to 33° plus for me to resort to a damp t-shirt laid on my chest to suck the heat out. I can sleep with the window closed no problem.

I’m done with living in Victorian properties, they are just not cut out for weather extremes, I’m strickly triple glazing and lots of insulation from now on, no more baking or freezing.

One tip I have from living in badly insulated properties that bake in summer is to move the bed so you can place your feet on the radiator while in bed, really does pull the heat out of you.

In a week or so there will be glowing testaments to the best summer in living memory. Happy to see 76 roundly trounced and not suffering glandular fever meaning 6 weeks out of my apprenticeship.

Trying to get to sleep, but we have an extremely shouty owl that lives in the park behind us and it's kicking off again. Give it a rest, mate.

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman
    Just going for my 'a walk a day keeps the diabetes at bay'. It's 10C!!! I used to be able to count on it being at least 14C. I'll have to put a coat on as I'm no longer battle-hardened to 'cool' days like a real Englishman. I've become an Aussie. Will be wearing cap, scarf and gloves next, I kid you not.

Never mind the heat, getting woken at 3am by a barking fox right outside my window. What joy.

Master
    Still on topic I think....

Lay-Z-Spa.... stupid or sensible idea?

I was sat in the garden at the weekend thinking it would be nice to have a kids paddling pool to sit in... so that led to thinking about a spa and then onto a Lay-Z-Spa.

£300... worth it or a waste of money - 2 weeks use and then onto SC :-)

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    LOVE the weather atm, the only downside is public transport
    Public transport. What's that? Seems like a novel idea.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    My parents used to live in Asia and Brazil before I was born (early to mid 50s, no aircon then) and all they said to me when I complained: the heat is just a state of mind. There are more people on earth living in hot conditions than in cold conditions.
    So it can’t be that bad!

My mum lived to be 84 and my dad to be 88. I never heard them about the heat. Even at old age they enjoyed the weather. They were pretty keen on closing the windows on the sunny side (and the window shades) and opening it all on the cool(er) side.

Not a terrible idea but for my £300 I'd rather have a decent AC unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Still on topic I think....

Lay-Z-Spa.... stupid or sensible idea?

I was sat in the garden at the weekend thinking it would be nice to have a kids paddling pool to sit in... so that led to thinking about a spa and then onto a Lay-Z-Spa.

£300... worth it or a waste of money - 2 weeks use and then onto SC :-)
    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    My parents used to live in Asia and Brazil before I was born (early to mid 50s, no aircon then) and all they said to me when I complained: the heat is just a state of mind.
    Quite.
    What I wrote.

When we first got here 18 years ago we bought an old Mercedes W123 station wagon. Sliding roof, no airco. We cruised thousands of kms of country roads across andalucia that summer. Most days over 40 degrees C. in August.
    We had a great time, did not miss an airco one moment. Drove with the windows open, roof just so we didi not get the full sun and for the rest simply drinking lóts of water.
    For the past 7 years we have had a SY Musso which is pretty much the same. No open roof, does have an airco. We´d have the roof open more than we use the airco; it is mainly serving to defog the windscreen in winter!

Master
    Portable ACs I can understand, but I couldn't tolerate an ugly ceiling fan lying dormant for 300 days a year.