closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Minute and second hand synchronicity or alignment..

Minute and second hand synchronicity or alignment..

I see a lot of pictures of watches, mainly because I look at a lot of watches and something struck me the other day regarding alignment..

When I set the time on a watch, like most others I suspect, I stop the second hand bang on 12. It's the natural point to stop it in order to set it off bang on again, though of course the actual position makes no difference per se...

My point is, when the second hand is bang on 12, I have to have the minute hand pointing exactly dead centre of the hour marker or bang on with a minute marker so that as the second hand completes a rotation, the minute hand follows suit and shows the progression from one marker to the next. So for example, 30 seconds past on the second hand, the minute hand will be mid point between two markers, or as near as I can possibly get it.

It's just a little thing that I enjoy doing and all my watches are set like this. But.. I see many pictures of watches that are not aligned in this way, and the minute marker will be almost at one minute as the second hand has just past one.

I understand that perspective plays a part in this, but sometimes it's a country mile off.

Anyone else the same? Does it bother you?

I do the same as you and yes, not doing so bothers me.

It's why I need a GO Senator Chronometer as it does this all for you.

Here's an example of how it shouldn't be (random picture off of the internet) in my opinion..

The second hand has 1/5 left to travel, yet the minute hand is bang on the minute..

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I do the same as you and yes, not doing so bothers me.

It's why I need a GO Senator Chronometer as it does this all for you.
    Oh, I did not know that there was a watch that did this.. Thanks for pointing this out, I'll have to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuisance Value View Post
    Oh, I did not know that there was a watch that did this.. Thanks for pointing this out, I'll have to look into it.
    It's a marvellous thing - upon pulling out the crow, the seconds hand immediately resets to 12 (some other manufacturers have watches have a sort of 'disconnect' mechanism - I'm sure there's a formal term! - that means the seconds hand continues running until it hits 12 where it stops - there was a Longines in SC that did this recently - whereas the GO jumps to 12), and the minute hand also jumps to the nearest minute marker and only moves in 6 degree increments when setting the time, i.e. from bang on minute marker to minute marker.

Check this video from 4:12 onwards:

https://youtu.be/V5pT_FeMGKE?t=252

Thw RTZ Club members will be watching this with interest. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Exactly same here. Minute hand must land on marker within 5 secs to or 5 secs past range.

With mine, I have to have the minute hand on a marker when the second hand is around the 53 second mark because there's an approx. seven second delay until the minute hand starts moving when I push the crown back in. It was trial and error getting the delay right, after I realised what was happening. Before that I'd align the minute and second hands with a marker each, and then question my actions when a little while later I'd notice the minute hand not bang on a marker as the second hand passed 12. Still, it's only something I have to remember twice a year when the clocks change. Or when I'm travelling, I suppose.
    Last edited by sean; 9th July 2018 at 18:27.

This is unsettling to view for too long. I can’t understand how the photographer made the photo like that let alone published it.

Here's an example of how it shouldn't be (random picture off of the internet) in my opinion..

The second hand has 1/5 left to travel, yet the minute hand is bang on the minute..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MintG View Post
    This is unsettling to view for too long. I can’t understand how the photographer made the photo like that let alone published it.
    My guess is that the watch had stopped, fully unwound, and then the photographer set it to the classic 10 to 2 position for the photos.

Like others I prefer the seconds to match up with the minutes, but within a few seconds is enough for me.

Journeyman
    I try to photograph them this way too, since I realised all my favourite watch pictures I’d taken looked this way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It's a marvellous thing - upon pulling out the crow, the seconds hand immediately resets to 12 (some other manufacturers have watches have a sort of 'disconnect' mechanism - I'm sure there's a formal term! - that means the seconds hand continues running until it hits 12 where it stops - there was a Longines in SC that did this recently - whereas the GO jumps to 12), and the minute hand also jumps to the nearest minute marker and only moves in 6 degree increments when setting the time, i.e. from bang on minute marker to minute marker.

Check this video from 4:12 onwards:

https://youtu.be/V5pT_FeMGKE?t=252
    Oh that is good, I never knew anyone did that. It's so satisfying to watch. I can see why you would want one of these, that whole fractional movement of the crown to get it bang on, can be as frustrating as it is satisfying. i'm happy to see it's an issue that's been addressed by at least a couple of manufacturers..

I never thought about this :D :D I'll waste so much time now trying to make it look precise.... Why did I open this thread :D :D

Yes, same here; surprised to find some don’t to be honest!

Blog Entries
    Discussed on another thread, but this difficult to do with non-hacking movements if the spring is fully wound. I now have three watches that don’t hack and I have realised there is more important things to worry about - perhaps a sign of older age! Martyn.

I like to do this, but if I mess it up, I know that for most of my watches I’ll be resetting it in a week or two anyway.... I do have one watch that the minute hand doesn’t always align around the dial ... not sure if it’s the chapter ring, or as a watchsmith suggested, something a little loose. Meh.

I’m a little more forgiving, as long as the minute hand is bang on a minute mark from 0:50 to 0:10, I’m happy.

Does it irritate me? Not really. I have to wear reading glasses now, so I’m often looking at my watch with blurred vision.

I do align the hands as you describe, but it is more straightforward with some watch movements than others. With hacking movements I'll always do this.

I suspect, with the chronograph that you show, that it is not possible to simply "stop the seconds hand bang on 12", it will be a non-hacking manual-wind movement where the only way to influence the position of the seconds hand is by applying back-pressure to the crown. With watches like this i tend to align the minutes hand with the marker at the exact time; if I want seconds too I'll use the chrono seconds hand - easy to use the pusher to start the hand rotation at the precise time. The seconds subdial then becomes largely irrelevant.

I attend to this when I am setting my own watches but I cannot say that I notice or check it on either my own watches when watching or in pictures of other watches.

That's a fine looking canadian army watch chosen randomly to illustrate the point above.

Lining things up exactly would seem to be a great source of joy for the simple but highly neurotic man.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Lining things up exactly would seem to be a great source of joy for the simple but highly neurotic man.
    Unless it was as bad as the hour hand on my old Seiko chrono.

Yes absolutely! Especially on my 757

And yet, should it lose a few or 30 seconds or so, I'm not really bothered. Nice that we're all different eh?

Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post
    Yes absolutely! Especially on my 757
    Haha! Very good

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    OCD to some, but we'll observed.
    I get annoyed with quartz watches where the seconds hand does not land exactly on each minute marking. This can be the case even on TV adverts and can only get worse as quality contol disintegrates.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

And yet, should it lose a few or 30 seconds or so, I'm not really bothered. Nice that we're all different eh?
    There is a lot of complaining over barely noticeable minutae, so not sure its a difference that is being experienced as 'nice'.

There is a lot of complaining over barely noticeable minutae, so not sure its a difference that is being experienced as 'nice'.
    Thanks for your positive contributions to a layman's observation on the intricacies of watches, on a watch enthusiast forum.

Good work, keep it up.

The correct way to set the time on a watch is to set the watch to the correct time
    Gray

Craftsman
    I try to get mine as close as possible.

Craftsman
    But what about the dreaded ‘minute hand jump’ when pushing the crown in?!
    I used to get this on a Tag Heuer I had. It was infuriating trying to get the second hand and minute hand to correspond to each other!

A PAM233 also ‘jumps’ the second hand to 12 when you pull out it the crown to adjust the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    But what about the dreaded ‘minute hand jump’ when pushing the crown in?!
    I used to get this on a Tag Heuer I had. It was infuriating trying to get the second hand and minute hand to correspond to each other!

Yeah, that can be a bit troublesome, you just need to compensate for it unfortunately.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for your positive contributions to a layman's observation on the intricacies of watches, on a watch enthusiast forum.

Good work, keep it up.
    Are you that guy who only wants good feedback and tells anyone critical to go elsewhere??

The OP described the effects of his OCD on a particular issue and asked if others relate. I reflected on how his OCD on the issue appears to me.

You will need to learn to cope better if you are going to keep doing this internet thing.

Yep, on hacking watches I also line them up when setting the time. For non hacking I will wait until the second hand comes round and as it gets to 57, 58 set the minute hand. Although it is virtually impossible to set non hacking watches exactly against another accurate watch or clock I do like the minute hand to be exact as the second hand passes over the 12.

Are you that guy who only wants good feedback and tells anyone critical to go elsewhere??

The OP described the effects of his OCD on a particular issue and asked if others relate. I reflected on how his OCD on the issue appears to me.

You will need to learn to cope better if you are going to keep doing this internet thing.
    Oh, I've been doing this for years just fine thanks.

You intimated the OP, me, was neurotic and has OCD to care about such exactness, neither of which are remotely correct. It's just aesthetically nicer to see the hands work like that.

Opinions are welcomed, assumptions on my mental state (with the cheap caveat that's how it appears to you) are not.

I was always told - if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing. You're welcome to that advice, free gratis.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

You intimated the OP, me, was neurotic and has OCD to care about such exactness, neither of which are remotely correct. It's just aesthetically nicer to see the hands work like that.
    Heh, heh.

Nice trolling. Wonder what you do for an encore.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bang on the minute marker is where the hand should be when seconds hit 12.
    Anything else is an eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Nice trolling. Wonder what you do for an encore.
    I wouldn't worry too much. The OP is handling him just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Sheer Bedlam!!