closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Air filters in cars.

Master

Air filters in cars.

Saw in the paper today that research into the effectiveness of filters varies tremendously dependent on manufacturer from 1% in the Toyota CHR to 90% in a Mercedes E class. So sitting in traffic with aircon on can be worse for your health than walking the streets as you’re in a confined space. Apparently there are no official standards set so manufacturers can cheapskate as much as they like to the detriment of your health. Cheers!!

It’s the same (or better) air than outside, don’t see that being in a confined space makes any difference.

Master
    As far as I know, most cars have a re-circulation mode which used the air in the cabin rather than drawing it from outside. Maybe a solution?

Although that gradually increases CO2 in the cabin which makes you sleepy. My car automatically recirculates when it detects high pollution but probably not ideal all the time. You can buy carbon filters which are an improvement on the standard paper filter which I tend to do when changing the cabin filter.

Honda seemed very surprised by their 1% score so it will be interesting to see if they consider the testing methodology flawed although of course the issue could be Honda’s testing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Just to keep things in perspective, the so-called 'pollen filters' used in cars are a relatively modern development, it's only over the last 20 years they've appeared. In the good old days air drawn into the heater/ventilation wasn`t filtered.

Whenever figures are bandied about without proper qualification of the results I naturally distrust the implications. What are we really talking about here? Are we talking about the particle size, the surface area of the filter, or whether the filter is designed to remove organic vapours? Most articles are scant on details and I seriously question whether most journalists are capable of structured reasoned thinking based on data.

Thee are things in this world that worry me, this isn`t one of them! Key point to remember with these filters is to ensure they're replaced when the vehicle's serviced. If not the air-flow into the air-con will be impaired and that's bad news.

Breathing in our modern polluted environment is a hazardous activity......be careful out there!

Paul

Master
    I think that most cars can have a pollen filter or a charcoal/pollen filter fitted, the latter is supposedly more effective, recirculation helps and reckon that since very few cars are airtight(you couldn't shut the door easily if they were?) that it would take a very long time to increase the co2 to dangerous level, recirc is mainly to increase the efficiency of the aircon system in cooling, think that it wouldn't be permitted to be fitted if it was found to be possibly dangerous to health of the occupants.

I rarely use our cars aircon, we just lower the roof for "fresh"air, and take our chances with everything that comes with it, life too short to worry about-"what ifs".
    Last edited by Pitfitter; 17th July 2018 at 22:28.

Craftsman
    I changed the cabin filter on my car yesterday to a carbon activated one and used an air con ‘bomb’ as it was smelling a bit musty. The filter was only 8 months old but wasn’t very fresh so it’s worthwhile changing for the sake of £15