closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Affordable automatic Diver/GMT Watch

Affordable automatic Diver/GMT Watch

I apologise in advance if this subject has already been covered, but I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for.
    I am looking to get an automatic “divers” style watch with the GMT function for a holiday coming up later in the year.
    The reason why I say “Divers” style is because I am not looking for a “Dress” type watch.
    What is available for a budget around £700?
    Cheers
    Tony
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 2nd August 2018 at 12:07. Reason: Amended post

You’ll pick up a lightly used steinhart gmt for around that - maybe a touch more.

Prob get this for £300
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123200686175

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    You’ll pick up a lightly used steinhart gmt for around that - maybe a touch more.

Prob get this for £300
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123200686175
    Have you seen how dirty that watch is? Avoid that one and find a better cared for watch.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Agd47 View Post
    Have you seen how dirty that watch is? Avoid that one and find a better cared for watch.

And pay over his budget? Easy to clean

Journeyman
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132654924899

How about this? Not a dive watch as such but well below budget and brand new.

Seiko make an excellent true GMT (hour hand moves in 1-hour steps, forward or backwards, date follows) movement powered by a rotor. Fitted to various styles:

Those above are available new for around your budget. This one of mine is discontinued but has a similar true GMT movement, 200m WR, sapphire, one-piece titanium case and bezel...

If you can get over that the timing is controlled by the oscillation of a crystal rather than a spring, I think these are excellent (true) GMT watches.

From 'The Land of the Rising Sun'! .............Extreme,......... had it a couple of years everything is just fine with it. GMT hand adjusts separately, which I prefer as it gives you a quick set date.

Not that I wear it very much at all.

Mitch

Here you go, dual timezones, digi analog and £17.00 delivered! Okay it isn't a diver but £17 cmon

Craftsman

interesting name

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    From 'The Land of the Rising Sun'! .............Extreme,......... had it a couple of years everything is just fine with it. GMT hand adjusts separately, which I prefer as it gives you a quick set date.

Not that I wear it very much at all.

Mitch
    I can think of a few deserving recipients I've met over the years. Very Steinhart'esque though, nice piece ;-))

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...diver-16250045

Not auto but sub £300 new. Quartz saves you the hassle on holiday

Master
    https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Seiko-S...49&fo_s=slisys

Looks like a billy bargain. The blue one is £379. I rather like them both, not sure how big they would wear though.

Thanks for the replies so far

Steinhart was definitely on my radar.

I thought about CW, but new they are £900.

Wancher, I have to admit to having never heard off, so need to rectify that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far

Steinhart was definitely on my radar.

I thought about CW, but new they are £900.

Wancher, I have to admit to having never heard off, so need to rectify that :-)
    CW have sales up to 50% off every season

^^^^^^^
    Thanks Rusty

Will take a look.

Hello Tony - have a look at...................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PARNIS-GM...QAAOSwzFxa3gkd

I have handled one of these and they are incredible value for money plus good timekeeping. The ebay seller is a great guy too.

I have no affiliation with Parnis or the seller but am just speaking from experience.

There is a new all black version of this Parnis on ebay for £15.15 including post!!!!!

Update: The £15.15 Parnis now removed due to listing on a compromised account.
    Last edited by Jack Norman; 10th July 2018 at 06:59.

I've seen some dreadnought voyager go for not much more than that
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman

not heard of Parnis

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Norman View Post
    Hello Tony - have a look at...................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PARNIS-GM...QAAOSwzFxa3gkd

I have handled one of these and they are incredible value for money plus good timekeeping. The ebay seller is a great guy too.

I have no affiliation with Parnis or the seller but am just speaking from experience.

There is a new all black version of this Parnis on ebay for £15.15 including post!!!!!
    but having had a quick look on ebay they do seem to have very nice homages at reasonable prices. Models very akin to Omega Planet Ocean, Glashutte etc. Thanks for the heads up.

Never realised that there were so many Rolex lookalikes on the market!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Here you go, dual timezones, digi analog and £17.00 delivered! Okay it isn't a diver but £17 cmon

A blast from the past. I think I had one of those about 30 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Having spent some of my time researching available GMT/Diver options, I am still undecided.
    So to increase the options available I have upped by budget to around £700.00.
    I have ruled out Christopher Ward's Trident GMT, due to the fact that they have combined both the traditional 15 minute count down on a dive watch and the GMT function on the same bezel............OCD.
    Steinhart, I like, but think that their very flat case bottom may not fit on my wrist and will overhang. Though their 39mm model may fit the bill.
    Recently been considering both the Marcello C Tridente GMT and the Squale 30 Atmos GMT.Has anyone experienced either of these watches or could suggests others that I may have overlooked?
    Many thanks.

How about Glycine? Range of options and sizes:

https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/collect...lycine-watches

Edit. You can get much lower prices on Glycine watches elsewhere (e.g. Massdrop), but Iguanasell is good for looking at all the Glycine models.
    Last edited by Alpha4; 2nd August 2018 at 10:38.

Alpina makes some true GMT's with quick set hour hand vs. ETAs that have quick set GMT hands. I love my Squale and Steinhart GMTs. Squale on Gnomon just released today an update to their black GMT.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

^^^^^^
    I do like the Squale in your 2nd photo and recently missed one on Ebay!!
    Glycine make great timepieces, but in this case, I am just after a watch that has a single crown..............Fussy aren't I!

Master
    Having spent some of my time researching available GMT/Diver options, I am still undecided.
    So to increase the options available I have upped by budget to around £700.00.
    I have ruled out Christopher Ward's Trident GMT, due to the fact that they have combined both the traditional 15 minute count down on a dive watch and the GMT function on the same bezel............OCD.
    Steinhart, I like, but think that their very flat case bottom may not fit on my wrist and will overhang. Though their 39mm model may fit the bill.
    Recently been considering both the Marcello C Tridente GMT and the Squale 30 Atmos GMT.Has anyone experienced either of these watches or could suggests others that I may have overlooked?
    Many thanks.
    I've just picked up a 39mm Steinhart Pepsi and it's perfect. I had two 42mm previously and this wins by a country mile. Great size, very comfortable, tight bezel and smooth winding with a nice tapered 20mm bracelet. I have just under 7" wrists. I will now pick the green bezel 39mm diver that they do and try and get the 39mm OVM via Gnomon.

Thanks Stix.
    With the 39mm case, does it sit nicely on your wrist rather than overhang?

^^^^^^
    I do like the Squale in your 2nd photo and recently missed one on Ebay!!
    Glycine make great timepieces, but in this case, I am just after a watch that has a single crown..............Fussy aren't I!
    Sign up for the Gnomon emails, it will be back in stock. 1 of their more popular models. The black GMT version 2 has changed from the 21mm bracelet to 20mm FYI.

Master
    Thanks Stix.
    With the 39mm case, does it sit nicely on your wrist rather than overhang?
    Yes, it's really nice and I don't even notice I'm wearing it where as the 42mm was always uncomfortable to wear. I'll try and post a pick this week.

Journeyman
    What about a Hager GMT?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman86 View Post
    What about a Hager GMT?
    Waiting for the preorder myself, said it should be soon. They use Soprod movements but it seems a general GMT movement shortage now but Squale You just got some more released so I'm hoping more will be coming out in the micro world. You have 1?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite_Kid19 View Post
    Waiting for the preorder myself, said it should be soon. They use Soprod movements but it seems a general GMT movement shortage now but Squale You just got some more released so I'm hoping more will be coming out in the micro world. You have 1?

Not yet but hopefully pick one up this year. Great looking watch and good value

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman86 View Post
    Not yet but hopefully pick one up this year. Great looking watch and good value
    Mad I missed the black/white bicolor ceramic GMT they produced.

So many brands that I have never heard of.
    Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    That looks cool

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've just bought a Parnis GMT for £66, and I honestly can't believe the quality. I've had Steinhart, Davosa, Stuhrling etc. before - some costing nearly £500, and none felt as solid as this thing. I'm sure the movement is a pile of pants, but I've been wearing it for 48hrs now and it's within 10 seconds.

Almost makes me want the real thing...

^^^^^^
    Thanks for the info.

Maybe worth considering after all!