closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the sub 14060'

Blog Entries

Opinions on the sub 14060'

Opinion on the Rolex 14060 sub no date

I have a chance off purchasing one and just wondered what owners of these thought , it appeals becouse most of my wàtches have had day or date function and I just wanted a sub without , I have always wanted a Rolex sub and feel it's ticks all the boxes , my previous Rolex was a 36mm datejust and it was to small for me , any strap options would be good to see

Thanks in advance for any opinions shared

Opinions on the sub 14060'

I quite like no date subs. The dates on my mechanical watches are always wrong anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    I quite like no date subs. The dates on my mechanical watches are always wrong anyway.
    Yep my Monaco always is wrong that's why I like the idea of no date

Master
    Got rid of mine as soon as I could, not particularly comfortable due to the thicker back and the micro adjustable bracelet drove me nuts.
    Whoops, got my numbers mixed up, thought you were on about the later ceramic, just ignore, never had a 14060.
    Last edited by bobdog; 8th July 2018 at 12:11.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Got rid of mine as soon as I could, not particularly comfortable due to the thicker back and the micro adjustable bracelet drove me nuts.
    I was wondering that the opinions we’re on the strap

You’ll need to be able to cope with the very tinny bracelet. That said, it is extremely comfortable. Cracking watches though, an absolute classic. I’d love to have mine back one day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    You’ll need to be able to cope with the very tinny bracelet. That said, it is extremely comfortable. Cracking watches though, an absolute classic. I’d love to have mine back one day.
    Having a blue face Monaco thats a iconic watch I agree on the 14060 is a adsolute classic

Agreed, I don't think the strap is much cop, it had the feel of an out of the box Seiko, or possibly worse! Adjustment is poor and it isn't possible to offset the clasp by having the radial end a link shorter, which is one thing I find essential with metal straps to stop the watch wandering round to the wrong side of my wrist.
    But it is a classic, and I love mine. I could not afford a 5513 and certainly not in the condition I would want, so this is perfect as my first invitation to the Rolex club

It is a classic, perhaps the classic casual watch. Never really bettered despite absolutely everyone trying. Even Rolex, who just kind of made it worse in subsequent iterations...

I prefer the bracelet (which, despite reputation, is absolutely fine):

But I've tried it on Natos and all sorts of rubber and leather:

It always ends up back on the bracelet:

I have nothing to criticise about this watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My dad wears mine.
    Its with him because it's a mint unpolished example of an absolute classic (the plus side) but it's a double edged sword because it's on his wrists to prevent me from selling because it's so refined and perfect that it's at odds with my slightly bigger brasher tastes.

That probably doesn't make sense to anyone but me but it's the situation my 14060 finds itself in. Perfection gets boring perhaps.

(The bracelet is brilliant. If it was a heavier solid version it would be completely at odds with the weight of the head)

Master
    I have a 14060 M so last of the range before the maxi case versions came along. The word classic has been used extensively above and I think this summarises it well. It looks well with a formal shirt as well as a T.

The strap is tinny sounding but very comfortable and you cant feel the weight, you can feel the weight of the head of the watch though.

Lastly since it has no cyclops its very much an under the radar watch, which you may or may not like.

Strangely I read on here many years ago it does no harm to memorise the date, either that or commit Mondays date to memory and add😀

I love mine. Read loads of people slagging the bracelet off saying it’s tinny and feels cheap.. got mine and tried it on NATO’s and leather as well as an Everest Rubber (very comfortable!) but as said before mine too nearly always ends up back on the bracelet.

They are to me the perfect all rounder. Yet for some reason it sits behind the 2254 in wrist time given the choice i always seem to choose the 2254...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    What’s the going rate for a loose 14060? I paid £3700 last year

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I do love mine. It is the two-liner.

Regrettably it sits in the watch box for too much of the time. It is pretty much mint and yet to be polished; these tend to get in the way of my wearing and enjoying the thing. I need to get a grip.

There are no strap options.

Grand Master
    One of the best bang for buck watches ever.
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Comfortable, classic and cool looking. True the bracelet is not as sturdy, well constructed or easily adjustable as it’s modern counterparts but it’s comfortable and tough.

Buy the one on offer, assuming it’s a good one you are unlikely to lose much money.

No negatives from me... I've had mine nearly a year and have not been disappointed in any way, it is the 2 liner and just looks so good, I just need to get my self to wear it more, exactly as others have said, I have fitted natos, leather straps etc, which all look great but I always end up back on the bracelet, it's just so good. I have been thinking more and more about the 1 watch consolidation threads that I read and if I were ever to go down that road, this would be a serious contender for me.

Craftsman

perfection

well it is to me anyway, looks great with any outfit or strap/bracelet and wears really easily on the wrist. I was amazed at how light it was and love mine to bits.

If you don't want Rolex's perfected date function for some reason, it's the watch to have. (Though I prefer the 16610.)

Good photos in this thread, by the way. :)

Craftsman
    The 14060 is my favourite Rolex, easy to wear and I don't need to set the date. I had a 2 liner but currently the 4:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I end up wearing mine more than the 114060. Worn quite often with straps, rather than the bracelet.

Blog Entries
    In reply to one off the questions I have a friend that works in London in the watch trade he sourced one for me and with a total clean up seal with a servive I could ld not turn it down as it was a fair price mines a 2 liner t series I believe 1996 , also some great strap options with some fantastic picture , keep the info coming thanks

Master
    I love mine, 14060M, and unless required to support a family member or friend in need, would never sell it.

Yes, when I was buying it & held the watch for the first time after handling a ceramic sub, I fell out of love with it as the bracelet felt cheaper than cheap, but it’s proved to be an effective bracelet over the decades, so who was I to judge on first opinions.

Compatible with loads of straps, wear mine across bracelet, iso and nato, just so versatile & can dress it up or down based on what I’m wearing.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Ιs a brilliant sport watch, simple, balanced, versatile and relatively beautiful, to my eyes at least.

Sent from my MI 5X using Tapatalk

Master
    Had a 14060M for a few years and sold it to buy some workstations. Dumbest move ever. It was perfect on the wrist.

I think its much better looking than the cyclops and the later ceramic.

Buy with no worries its an almost perfect sub.

Blog Entries
    Loving the picture and comments but the canvas strap option looks amazing

Master
    This thread really makes me want one...

If there's a better looking watch on the planet, I'm yet to see it.

Without doubt it's a design classic. Like the Speedmaste Pro, it looks of it's day, yet contemporary at the same moment. Very few watches look so right in so many occasions, it's quite remarkable.

14060M here, owned it since late last year and there's been maybe a handful of days since where I've chosen to wear something else - to the point where I've sold a couple and a considering letting another couple go too as the only one I wear is the Sub. Some have complained about the bracelet (at least compared to the ceramic version), but I have no complaints, it's comfortable and light and still the ebst bracelet of any watch I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    14060M here, owned it since late last year and there's been maybe a handful of days since where I've chosen to wear something else - to the point where I've sold a couple and a considering letting another couple go too as the only one I wear is the Sub. Some have complained about the bracelet (at least compared to the ceramic version), but I have no complaints, it's comfortable and light and still the ebst bracelet of any watch I've owned.
    I am pretty much in exactly the same boat. I used to chop and change watches constantly, wearing various ones throughout the week, but over the past year I have thinned out my watch collection and pretty much wear my 14060m constantly. I think it is the perfect all rounder, almost my exit watch. I haven't bought anything since and not too sure what my future plans are now in terms of watches as it is my daily wearer and favourite by far

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    I am pretty much in exactly the same boat. I used to chop and change watches constantly, wearing various ones throughout the week, but over the past year I have thinned out my watch collection and pretty much wear my 14060m constantly. I think it is the perfect all rounder, almost my exit watch. I haven't bought anything since and not too sure what my future plans are now in terms of watches as it is my daily wearer and favourite by far
    It think I'm with you when it arrives in my head it's my end game watch but untill I have a few months on the wrist I can only be sure , between the sub and the Monaco strap chances should give me abit of variety ,
    But thinning out the collection to a few has been a challenge but Im Sure worth it when it arrives

Master
    For me the hollow endlinks were always a disappointment, plus the huge tinny clasp. I have no issue with the pressed/tinny clasp on older GMT/Exps/YM but the Sub/SD one with the diver extension is a big bit of cheap looking and rattly metal. The end links were the deal breaker though for me.

When I had a 14060 I even tried swapping the bracelet for a solid end link alternative (Sub, SD and GMT/Exp)but none would fit. I used to wear it alot on NATO. IMO the 114060 is streets ahead and I've seen some 14060s up at more than a 114060. Insane.

Master
    Bought mine about 2 years ago and my watch buying has slowed significantly since. As others have said, it's all the watch you'll ever need. The bracelet is a bit tinny and rattly off the wrist but I find once it's on its fine and probably the comfiest bracelet I've had. For me the size is also perfect, big enough to be masculine but also small enough to discreetly slip beneath a shirt cuff (unlike the big square lugged 114060). It suits so many straps and the drilled lugs make life so easy (more watches need drilled lugs). Perhaps I'm weird but I prefer the no date over the date. I despise Cyclops.

I would encourage anyone who gets a chance to buy one at a decent price to jump on it. Even you don't like it you won't lose anything.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblue View Post
    It think I'm with you when it arrives in my head it's my end game watch but untill I have a few months on the wrist I can only be sure , between the sub and the Monaco strap chances should give me abit of variety ,
    But thinning out the collection to a few has been a challenge but Im Sure worth it when it arrives
    Its funny as the only other watch I do occasionally wear is my Monaco (Heuer black dialed variant) as I think really for many years the Monaco and submariner were my halo watches and they haven't disappointed. Between them both they do everything that you would need, another one that I wouldn't sell, unless I could potentially part-ex the black dial for the blue dial but the cost to change I think is too great just for the sake of the dial colour

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    Its funny as the only other watch I do occasionally wear is my Monaco (Heuer black dialed variant) as I think really for many years the Monaco and submariner were my halo watches and they haven't disappointed. Between them both they do everything that you would need, another one that I wouldn't sell, unless I could potentially part-ex the black dial for the blue dial but the cost to change I think is too great just for the sake of the dial colour
    Great minds think alike lol yep both watches can be worn as smart with shirts or causal in a t shirts very versatile

Journeyman
    Can I ask what is the fair price for a nice 14060 now?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NobitaD View Post
    Can I ask what is the fair price for a nice 14060 now?
    for a private sale on Ebay, I'd say 4k -4.5k

Master
    My wife bought me ny 14060M in 2004 and it is an excellent watch. It has never gone wrong but that said I send it to RSC every 5 years for service. No problems with the bracelet although I like the SMP bracelet more, just feels more robust.

Don’t wear my Submariner that much now as I tend to wear my SMP 300 more and more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceblue View Post
    Great minds think alike lol yep both watches can be worn as smart with shirts or causal in a t shirts very versatile

I alternated between a 14060M and a blue faced McQueen Monaco for a number of years.

Unfortunately I sold both. The Monaco I can get back for almost the same as I paid and sold it for but the 14060M is now doing the rounds for £2k more than I paid for it originally.

I might settle for a Steinhart OVM 39mm for a bit and pickup a Monaco cal 11 as its not quite the same damage as the sub.

I was also very lucky not to mangle my 14060m. It had a few close encounters with reinforced concrete and lift doors but came through with minor dinks.

I have a Seamaster F300 chronometer as my daily wearer but I think I'll be giving it a rest . Its fine but I feel I'm asking too much from it given its age.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I end up wearing mine more than the 114060. Worn quite often with straps, rather than the bracelet.

That top strap is lovely, do you mind if I ask what that is? I haven’t been able to find anything that looks as nice

Journeyman
    1. Boring
    2. Do you own a submarine?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    1. Boring
    2. Do you own a submarine?
    ?

No.
    It's just a matter of time...

Great pictures guys. It's a really nice classic look, but I'm not sure I could get on with the older style bracelets now.

I've worn one a few times and although I am absolutely no Rolex fanboy - quite the opposite to be honest - it is a very well proportioned watch.
    Its younger siblings with fat lugs and extra text on the dial just seem very much out of balance.

EDIT: I wouldn't see any problem when it comes to the bracelet.
    It is lighter than the modern ones, but because of that much more comfortable on the wrist.
    It isn't like it is going to just fall apart.

Bigger, heavier, thicker isn't necessarily better.

Master
    Great all rounder with clean lines and aesthetically pleasing dial, would echo what others have said about weight. Any of the old style cases wear comfortably when compared with the new breed, clasps are a little weak by comparison but part of the charm of the old references.

Journeyman
    Superb watch! Go for it!

I am very happy with mine, it is classic piece, very versatile watch. Somewhat low key (for Rolex) due to lack of the cyclops date bubble which is a Rolex giveaway.

Initially I wasn't too fond of the bracelet but over time I discovered how lightweight and comfortable it wears. I have additional Rolex with a SEL bracelet which has a more modern and solid feel, but the bracelet of my 14060m has that vintage charm that I now cherish.

You never could go wrong with the 5 digit Submariner (no date). It is a matter of personal taste to select which one speaks to you most.

2 liner
    - tritium/luminova transitional/superluminova dial
    -bezel insert - f(l)at four or pointed/regular four
    - clean rehaut

4liner (shorter production period than four liners) with engraved rehaut

No wrong choice above, it is a matter of preference.

Here is mine, 2 liner, flat four, F serial circa 2004

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I am fortunate to own a number of Rolex sports watches but this is my go to watch, supremely comfortable, the flimsy bracelet here helps rather than hinders and it is indestructable !

I’d be happy to add one to my collection.

Blog Entries
    Some great info I had a message today saying a new crystal s being fitted and serial numbers all ok , it's 1996 and a 2 liner , I think I need to find a canvas style strap like the green one above in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    That top strap is lovely, do you mind if I ask what that is? I haven’t been able to find anything that looks as nice

It’s a Cordura strap from Watchgecko. However having just had a further look at their website, I don’t think they sell it anymore. The only Cordura straps shown on the site at the moment are a different style.
    https://www.watchgecko.com/cordura-d...-zuludiver.php